Should I.S revist the Mars (or space) idea for FE Switch?

Armagon

Should IS revist the Mars (or space) idea for FE Switch  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should IS revist the Mars (or space) idea for FE Switch

• Yes, Space Emblem would be interesting
    • No, Fire Emblem should forever remain in medival times

So remember how IS once considered having Awakening take place on Mars but scrapped the idea because they thought it would alienate fans? Now that FE is more popular, do you think they should revist that idea? Not neccisarly Mars btw, it can be in space too. What do you think? I personally would accept the idea. It would be a very interesting idea.

I thought the idea was amusing, so if they do it well I don't see why not.

I care more about the execution of the idea.

I was answering a thread on another forum with the same general idea in regards to DQ earlier, what a funny coincidence.

As a spin-off series hell yeah. A futuristic SRPG strongly based off of Fire Emblem mechanics would be cool.

For the main series of Fire Emblem going to space, that would be dumb.

Edited by Hawk King

For Fire Emblem, no.

If Intelligent Systems decided to make a Fire Emblem-esque strategy game set in space, then I'm totally up for that. But Fire Emblem is a medieval strategy game, not si-fi.

41 minutes ago, Ritisa said:

"alienate" fans huh

I see what you did there

No idea if Armagon meant for that, but I love it.

1 hour ago, Ritisa said:

"alienate" fans huh

I see what you did there

20 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

No idea if Armagon meant for that, but I love it.

I didn't but i'm going to pretend that I did.

But yeah, Space Emblem would probably work better as a spin-off/seperate series made by IS. I'm open to the idea regardless though.

How about a new SRPG IP that's set in Space? 

Heck, IS even has another SRPG that could work really well in space...what was it again?

Oh, right. Advance Wars. We don't talk about those games...for some reason. 

Also yeah I don't think Space and Fire Emblem would work well together tbqh, when I think Fire Emblem I think of "that ambiguous time period where people fight with swords and stuff"

2 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

The closest we'll get to Fire Emblem space is the Anankos map kinda Fire Emblem CAN have sci-fi weird stuff in a medieval setting but don't really need space for it.

Don't forget the Deeprealms, the Deeprealms were sci-fi in nature too It was like something out of a Doctor Who episode.

Edited by Armagon

Depends what they'd do with it, but I'll say no because I'd much prefer the settings they've been going with. But if it did happen, I won't lie, I would be laughing really hard at the decisions IS is making and the reactions of their fanbase because I'm fairly certain that 50% of them (especially the asshats on Youtube) would leave.

Also don't mean to be that guy, but

"Should I.S revist the Mars (or space) idea for FE Switch?"

It's really bugging me.

THis was one of those ideas that was briefly looked at early in development, because the developers didn't know what to do, so they threw things at a wall to see what stuck. This was one of  the ideas that did not stick (for good reason, imo). As such, It should remain dead (at least for the FE setting). I'd love to see an original ip  srpg set in an SF setting, though.

Edited by sirmola

The problem with space I feel would be that we'd have a lot more ranged units. There would be not way to do the weapon triangle, and any Trinity of Magic would be something contrived like Beam vs. Flame vs. Gravity or something. Too many changes from the normal FE formula would be needed.

Keep the idea dead or use it for another strategy game that we'd call the distant sister of FE.

Now Etrian Odyssey on Mars- I'd buy that.

I think you don't have to be so conservative with the time period; adding some steampunk elements or magical technology elements à la Breath of the Wild could do wonders in shaking things up a bit, both in terms of storytelling and gameplay possibilities.

That being said, I think sci-fi is going too far.

1 hour ago, Thane said:

I think you don't have to be so conservative with the time period; adding some steampunk elements or magical technology elements à la Breath of the Wild could do wonders in shaking things up a bit, both in terms of storytelling and gameplay possibilities.

When I first glanced over this, for a brief moment I thought you said Breath of Fire and Wild Arms. 

And that gets me thinking- there was an era in warfare where gunpowder technology coexisted with premodern weaponry (swords and lances and whatnot). Maybe there's possibility in doing that in FE? Magic superseding gunpowder in usefulness is a problem though. But they could make it work if they tried. End of the Ming Dynasty/Renaissance Emblem?

For the record, the first World War still had stuff like cavalry charges with lances. So really, FE could still work beyond the Medieval Age for a Modern Age or even early Contemporary Age (Victorian era?) setting. Or so. Stuff like magic is bound to overhaul the technological and societal progress of society, anyway.

18 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And that gets me thinking- there was an era in warfare where gunpowder technology coexisted with premodern weaponry (swords and lances and whatnot). Maybe there's possibility in doing that in FE? Magic superseding gunpowder in usefulness is a problem though. But they could make it work if they tried. End of the Ming Dynasty/Renaissance Emblem?

I doubt it could a problem. I would think firearms are bound to superceed magic tomes, well, FE tomes. Maybe. And there's always the Magitech route.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

When I first glanced over this, for a brief moment I thought you said Breath of Fire and Wild Arms. 

I could see something like "guns are more powerful than magic but are also slower" (kinda like how prepping guns back then took a bit)

I actually would like to second what @Acacia Sgt just mentioned above, and go for a vaguely (post-)Renaissance to Industrial era where mechanization has just started and as @Armagon mentioned, we have some primitive forms of gunpowder weapons, which are slower but more powerful. For the story, it could take inspiration from the Cold War (similar to how the stories of Tellius games took inspiration from World War 2's European Theatre), exploring the ethics, strategies, and politics involving of the ultimate magic-tech weapon which proves to be a huge danger to the new FE continent.

It would certainly be interesting that's for sure. However I generally don't gravitate towards sci-fi games. Chances are I would still get it because....it's another Fire Emblem game but I would rather Nintendo and I.S. stick to their roots for Fire Emblem games. As a side project or something might also be an alternative rather than just letting this idea slide out the window.

No Space Emblem but I would be down for some Renaissance era stuff. Early gunpowder weapons would be neat.

On 04/28/2017 at 10:17 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

The problem with space I feel would be that we'd have a lot more ranged units. There would be not way to do the weapon triangle, and any Trinity of Magic would be something contrived like Beam vs. Flame vs. Gravity or something. Too many changes from the normal FE formula would be needed.

In regards to "a lot more ranged units", this doesn't need to be the case. In Advance Wars, everything has guns but they usually only hit adjacent enemies, with indirect combat being the realm of artillery units.