Fire Emblem Echoes's Great First Week!

Hey there! 
For those that don't know, Fire emblem Echoes topped the last week Charts in Video Game related Software Sales, with over 131,000 Sales (Bear in mind this only takes into account Physical Sales, not digital)

Source: http://gematsu.com/2017/04/media-create-sales-41717-42317

What are your thoughts?

Well I Personally think is a very strong week 1. People have the fates "Week 1 Sales of over 300k", but remember that there was Conquest and Birthright, giving an average of 150k per game, now that there is only one, the fall isn't quite that big. And besides, Digital accounts for a big portion of the sales, Data that unfortunately, we don't have. 
But I suspect that the digital sales will at least allowed the game to hit 150k on its first week. (Low estimate).

I Suspect that the game will be hitting around 230k (In Physical Sales) by the end of week 2, hopefully this number is trumped, but i believe it to be somewhat close to what is going to be.

Since it hasn't even released outside of japan, on the two biggest markets in the world (European Union and America), I'm thinking that the game will sell pretty well. (Not Fates or Awakening, mind you).

Is another remake an impossibility? 

Your thoughts!

Edited by André The kid

Hehe, we already have a topic for this, but I applaud the enthusiasm.

I had hoped for better sales from Echoes, but I suppose it was tough given the circumstances (a remake of a black sheep and the 3DS getting really old now).

Hopefully the digital sales and sales from subsequent weeks help to push the numbers up. Also, I think we may need to try our hardest to make Echoes a 1 million seller world-wide.

Oh, i looked for another topic on the subject, but since i didn't find one, i made this one, well, sorry about it then.

I Don't know if it will hit 1Million sales. But estimating Development costs for the 3ds make me believe that the game selling 500k (Just in Physical sales) would already give nintendo a very good profit, and since one digital sale gives 40€/$ while a physical just about 20€/$ , if the digital sales happen to push the sales to just 700k maybe slightly more, i think we can hope for at least a Binding blade Remake.

(How i'd hope they'd make it together with the Blazing sword for a genealogy type game... Please IS).

11 minutes ago, André The kid said:

Oh, i looked for another topic on the subject, but since i didn't find one, i made this one, well, sorry about it then.

I Don't know if it will hit 1Million sales. But estimating Development costs for the 3ds make me believe that the game selling 500k (Just in Physical sales) would already give nintendo a very good profit, and since one digital sale gives 40€/$ while a physical just about 20€/$ , if the digital sales happen to push the sales to just 700k maybe slightly more, i think we can hope for at least a Binding blade Remake.

(How i'd hope they'd make it together with the Blazing sword for a genealogy type game... Please IS).

I think @VincentASM was talking about here, it's in the General Fire Emblem Section:

https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/71278-fire-emblem-echoes-sold-less-on-its-first-week-in-japan-than-either-shadow-dragon-or-new-mystery-did/

Edited by King Marth 64

Sales aren't great, but I think it's fine for a remake that came out of nowhere. It was obviously never meant to sell as much as "mainline" fire emblem games.

I don't see the game hitting 230k on week 2. Sales drop off like 75% after first week. I feel like it'll take ~2 months to reach 230k JP sales.

I am actually very disappointed by these sales. My fears have been realized. I knew from the getgo that Echoes wouldn't sell well. But, I kept a small glimmer of hope because everyone else around me seemed atleast somewhat optimistic. 

The fact that this game, with all its love and passion poured into it by Intelligent Systems, sold less than half of Fates, and even worse than pre-Awakening games like Shadow Dragon and New Mystery, scares me more than I originally ever thought. I thought it would at the very least outsell those games. After all, we are in a supposed golden era for FE.

Just when FE was seeming like a top 5 Nintendo franchise, this happens. We are clearly still very, very far away from being a Nintendo staple alongside Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Animal Crossing... and to think that FE can be on its deathbed a second time is depressing...

Edited by Dandee Leone

I don't think Nintendo has as high of expectations for this game compared to Fates and Awakening.

Considering the game released in Japan only 2 months after it's anouncement, Nintendo obviously isn't marketing Echoes very hard. I assume the development time was significantly less for Echoes as well because it is a remake so the majority of the story was already done from the start, and it is the 3rd entry for the 3DS now so alot of the sprites and battle mechanics and stuff could be re-used with only minor changes.

500,000 worldwide sales should be more than enough to make this game successful in terms of sales figures.

1 minute ago, Hawk King said:

I don't think Nintendo has as high of expectations for this game compared to Fates and Awakening.

Considering the game released in Japan only 2 months after it's anouncement, Nintendo obviously isn't marketing Echoes very hard. I assume the development time was significantly less for Echoes as well because it is a remake so the majority of the story was already done from the start, and it is the 3rd entry for the 3DS now so alot of the sprites and battle mechanics and stuff could be re-used with only minor changes.

500,000 worldwide sales should be more than enough to make this game successful in terms of sales figures.

Let's think. We can't think of it as sales figures, but in profit. While 500,000 Sales (just physically) would guarantee about 10M for Nintendo. Taking account that the average production cost for the 3ds is about 2M, let's play it safe, and triple it.  6M. Nintendo guarantees about 4M of profit. That's money people. And i'm not taking into account digital sales, that give nintendo more money than physical ones. 
I Can see this game hitting about 600k in the end, so let's keep hoping.

It seems hardcore FE fans everywhere, here and reddit, are overreacting. An ancient remake that doesn't feature Marth is not going to do gangbusters. And any money that casual new FE fans would spend are going to FE Heroes instead.

A disaster would be another Toyko Mirage Sessions which sold like 100k lifetime. And that had easily way more of a budget than the entire Fates series combined as a console game.

1 hour ago, Dandee Leone said:

I am actually very disappointed by these sales. My fears have been realized. I knew from the getgo that Echoes wouldn't sell well. But, I kept a small glimmer of hope because everyone else around me seemed atleast somewhat optimistic. 

The fact that this game, with all its love and passion poured into it by Intelligent Systems, sold less than half of Fates, and even worse than pre-Awakening games like Shadow Dragon and New Mystery, scares me more than I originally ever thought. I thought it would at the very least outsell those games. After all, we are in a supposed golden era for FE.

Just when FE was seeming lke a top 5 Nintendo franchise, this happens. We are clearly still very, very far away from being a Nintendo staple alongside Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Animal Crossing... and to think that FE can be on its deathbed a second time is depressing...

Bruh, ONE game selling low (for Fire Emblem standards) isn't gonna cause the death of the series. You're being overly-dramatic about it. And keep in mind, that's just Japanese sales. For them, it's a remake. But for a lot of Western players, Echoes is an entierly brand new game, because most Westerners haven't played Gaiden. That reason is why Western sales are probably gonna be higher. 

2 minutes ago, Arvin said:

Japan's digital sales will only be 10% at best.

10% is still more than 0% tho. Just because Japan doesn't really go digital doesn't mean digital sales should be counted out.

This is rather disappointing to see, but we shouldn't lose hope until we get a hold of the western sales. I think that the international numbers will definitely bring this game's sales up, since it is a "new" game for us. I'll still buy it and support it via DLC, because I really, REALLY want a FE4 remake. 

The sales are fine and people are overreacting. Keep in mind it doesn't include SE or digital sales so that's like another 5k to 10k right there. It had a better opening week than Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn as well which sold 101k and 75k respectively. Also, I have a feeling that Echoes will sell more in the west than SD did.

27 minutes ago, Something Witty said:

The sales look decent for the first week. It would be cool to see this game successful, so we could get more remakes in the future. Except for Fe4. I don't want that game to be remade.

Why not? That has Marriage and children. Right up Awakening's alley. The people who likes match making will at least buy that game.

35 minutes ago, Bowbow said:

The sales are fine and people are overreacting. Keep in mind it doesn't include SE or digital sales so that's like another 5k to 10k right there. It had a better opening week than Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn as well which sold 101k and 75k respectively. Also, I have a feeling that Echoes will sell more in the west than SD did.

The West will be Echoes' True test. I'm expecting some good sales from America and Europe, plus dlc. People that talk about fates (260k on first week) forget that fates was 2 games in one, so if you divide it by two, you have 130k. Echoes' Values. Not saying that Echoes will hit Fates or Awakening Numbers, but let us recall that America was 46% of Awakening's Total sales and 50% of Fates' Total sales. So yeah. The game is not even out yet in America or Europe, which represented 23% of Sales for Awakening and 15% of Fates.

So... Yeah. Let us relax. The game will still do well. (I hope xD)

Remember that for Nintendo, the sales of the old games were not enough and they were going to stop the franchise.

Plus, the game is released at the end of the life of the 3DS, and it has the promotion from Heroes.

So the sales will be disappointing for Nintendo. But i think this game also a gad a bad communication. I mean, i had no hype from this game. The trailers from fates were really better.

Edited by Miatt

1 hour ago, Bowbow said:

Right, SEs are a thing. I believe both versions of the SE sold out in Japan rather fast. And the American SE sold out too. Granted, SEs are limited but still, it's a good sign.

I also feel the Alm and Celica Amiibos will encourage people to buy the game. I don't know how crazy Japan is about Amiibo but Amiibo in the West are pretty big.

38 minutes ago, Miatt said:

Remember that for Nintendo, the sales of the old games were not enough and they were going to stop the franchise.

Plus, the game is released at the end of the life of the 3DS, and it has the promotion from Heroes.

So the sales will be disappointing for Nintendo. But i think this game also a gad a bad communication. I mean, i had no hype from this game. The trailers from fates were really better.

That's different though. In the past, the series' sales declined with each release, and that started with Tellius.

But I feel that Nintendo knew what was gonna happen to Echoes. I mean, it's a remake of the black sheep of the franchise, that's releasing near the end of the 3DS' life AND the shiny new Switch has been out for a month. When you think about that, it would make sense if IS and Nintendo knew the risks.

I agree with you on the trailers tho. I mean, i was hyped since day one, but Echoes' trailers haven't been as hype as Fates trailers. Although, that could be because, outside of the FE Direct, Echoes trailers haven't been shown in directs, unlike Fates trailers. In fact, Echoes only got shown like 30 seconds of screentime in the most recent Direct and it was just about DLC.

Edited by Armagon

3 hours ago, Arvin said:

Why not? That has Marriage and children. Right up Awakening's alley. The people who likes match making will at least buy that game.

I did like how Genealogy used children, but the game itself was really boring. I wasn't really able to get past the first part, and that's because it took forever to get to the 2nd castle. The maps were huge, and I didn't really like that. The game does give you a good amount of horseback units, but that meant that units that were not mounted lagged behind. Seeing how SoV is really fateful to the original, I doubt they would change the map design if they made a echoes for Fe4. I just really want a Fe6 remake for the switch or something (When will the next handheld for nintendo come around. Sure the 3ds has helped nintendo when the Wii U was declining, but it is truly the time to start working on a new handheld device).

This isn't high enough but decent I'm not expecting it to hit a million for a long while I'm predicting 400-500k at best but in case sales still are low that's what FE16 Switch is for just in case.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

I think blaming remakes isnt the right way to put it. Final Fantasy VII remake made everyone, even those who didnt play the original, lose their mind. There were people literally in tears because of that reveal. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia? Not so much. Why? Just look at the popularity of Final Fantasy VII and Gaiden. Final Fantasy VII is regarded as one of the best RPGs of all time, with some of the best characters in gaming. It also made history for games in setting a new standard for narratives and story telling in games.

Gaiden was a Japan only release that didnt do all that well, is regarded as the black sheep of the Fire Emblem series, and outside of some hardcore fans or people more involved in the FE community, it wasnt very well known. So a remake isnt exactly going to garner as much attention. It also didnt have as grand of a stage, it was revealed in a Nintendo Direct, not much of an audience there outside of Nintendo fans. As compared to even Fates, where sure it was first revealed in a Direct, but it got a lot of attention at E3, putting it on the map of game reveals for the biggest video game event of the year.

You wrap that all up into the fact that it also leaked out, which had more of an effect than people are willing to admit. Sure not a lot of people were able to play it, but those kind of things still damage the product. How much is unknown, but dont fool yourselves thinking it didnt damage it. Then add in the fact that overall, the game is faithful to Gaiden to a fault, which can be seen as a step back in some ways (looking at you map design. When even your new maps for the game are just as bad as the remade ones, there is a problem. A remake should try and improve, not stay the same. Its kind of the point of the remake)

I think it also wasnt advertised as well of it should of been. There should of been somekind of bone thrown towards the new generation. I think supports being a larger focus of advertisement and getting a little better treatment than GBA/Tellius style would of helped in that regard. When you really look at SoV outside of the FE community (key thing there, outside of the community like Serenes), there wasnt a whole lot of an effort to try and bring in the new generation of fans. If anything, there was a backhanded comment about the current gen games, whether it was supposed to be a joke or not is regardless. Just look at the difference between Etika and Ghast. Ghast was freaking out because he was familiar with Gaiden, Etika had the reaction of what is this? Echoes was clearly advertised to the older fans of the series, which isnt a bad thing, but when its the only one you are really making an attempt to advertise to, you arent exactly getting the most out of advertising. 

It wasnt featured nearly as much as it should of in the latest Nintendo Direct, only receiving a brief moment to confirm DLC. Its ads were good in regards to how many there were, but that is irrelevant if nobody sees them outside of those that were already throwing money at the screens for a Gaiden remake. And I didnt exactly see those spread across the globe, Fates had a few TVspots and advertisements, especially close to release, online all the time. It got its name out there, SoV not so much. There is still time for the US to receive that treatment, but I have a feeling it wont.

Looking at all of that, Echoes was not going to be a best seller. It isnt failing, in all honesty it was probably a lot cheaper for them to make this. Just look at how fast it came out as compared to Fates or Awakening, so in the end they still probably made their money. I am willing to bet it was a cheaper production on purpose, again IS probably knew this was not going to sell the best of the 3DS era. So dont look at this as a bad sign at all.

Going to paste what I said in the General Fire Emblem thread on this over here.

As a TLDR; I think that first, Echoes was never going to be a best seller and IS new that. So dont take this as a loss, SoV was likely cheap to make, just look at how fast it was pumped out. Second, in a way SoV was a step back in advertising for the series. It didnt try hard enough to draw in the newer generation, and I am not talking about the people on Serenes or Reddit. I am talking about people outside of the community. It didnt try and really advertise to them. The advertisements are only seen around Nintendo sites and FE sites, and some of the advertisements have backhanded comments to the previous few games, whether they are a joke or not is regardless. It didnt try and lure any of them in. That could of easily been fixed by maybe advertising Supports a little more than they were, and make them a little less like the GBA/Tellius era supports which can be seen as a step back from Awakening/Fates. To put it simply, SoV advertising has way too niche of a target audience. Sure it appeals to us as FE fans, but where is the bones thrown to new and possible fans of the series? And I am not meaning avatars, s supports, and all of that noise, I am just meaning in general trying to gain the attention of people not familiar with the old FE style.

Edited by Tolvir

7 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Going to paste what I said in the General Fire Emblem thread on this over here.

As a TLDR; I think that first, Echoes was never going to be a best seller and IS new that. So dont take this as a loss, SoV was likely cheap to make, just look at how fast it was pumped out. Second, in a way SoV was a step back in advertising for the series. It didnt try hard enough to draw in the newer generation, and I am not talking about the people on Serenes or Reddit. I am talking about people outside of the community. It didnt try and really advertise to them. The advertisements are only seen around Nintendo sites and FE sites, and some of the advertisements have backhanded comments to the previous few games, whether they are a joke or not is regardless. It didnt try and lure any of them in. That could of easily been fixed by maybe advertising Supports a little more than they were, and maybe going more current gen with Supports rather than Tellius/GBA style which can be seen as a step back in someways. To put it simply, SoV advertising has way too niche of a target audience. Sure it appeals to us as FE fans, but where is the bones thrown to new and possible fans of the series? And I am not meaning avatars, s supports, and all of that noise, I am just meaning in general trying to gain the attention of people not familiar with the old FE style.

Yeah my thoughts exactly IS knew it wasn't gonna sell well that's why they literally said in their thoughts at the FE Direct "don't worry we're working on FE Switch we'll keep expanding and keep the stuff FE players are familiar with and more in 2018" they were a step ahead and foresaw this.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn