Fire emblem has less downloads than Super Mario Run but has made more revenue than Super Mario Run

Harvey

I tried playing Mario Run a while ago, and I see a lot of flaws in that game despite its quality, while Fire Emblem is much more accessible as an F2P.

I think many people wanted to have a Mario game on their phones, so the "typical" people downloaded that game, only to be disappointed that in order to progress to the 2nd world and beyond, you have to pay or it's a roadblock! And it also includes a difficult quest of collecting 5 purple coins scattered across the map too. I'm sure that, even if they did play Mario Run, it's only for a very, short time and they just leave afterwards.

Fire Emblem Heroes, on the other hand, is the more dedicated game made for newcomers and fans alike with an accessibility as an F2P far surpassing Mario Run and rivals the other FE-inspired games, They do not disappoint in delivering content as the hype is delivered pretty well. While it may have lesser players than Mario Run because it's not as popular in the society, but all the people who play this game, stick to this game in a long term, and potentially use their money to buy orbs as a sign of devotion to that game.

I've never ever heared of Super Mario Run but I guess platformers are more common as mobile games than round based strategical games like FE which require certain strategical and mathematical thought which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

As for the gaining profit part, I have no clue for reasons since I'm absolutely not into mobile games.

The reasons why FE grossed more is likely due to the ftp model generally being more profitable in this particular market.  I personally like SMR's model more, but eh.

And by giving people gambling addictions.

As someone who has paid monthy for Orbs in Heroes, that people can be enticed to repeatedly pay to get the main currency for the game is probably a factor alongside the fact that it's free to download. I don't mind it: I stick to paying for orbs once a month.

A one time pay model is generally has a profit limit of the number of people who downloaded it times the amount of money it costs. For example, if 3 million people download the game and it's 5 dollars to access the rest of it, your possible profit margin is 15 million dollars. Meanwhile, the Fire Emblem Heroes model theoretically has no profit limit, so despite the lower amount of downloads, it's rather easy to entice people into buying more orbs to get a chance to get that character that people want so badly.

It's actually rather ingenious as it uses the psychology of the player in order to increase the profit margin of the game. Despite Nintendo liking the one and done policy, as we have seen with another free to start game(That new Kirby deluxe game that I can't remember the name of for the life of me), they seem to have adopted the model of Fire Emblem heroes of paying as you go. I have to say this is the best decision they've made for mobile gaming thus far.

Edited by Thran Starcrod