When did you class change?

I'm having a lot of the fun with the game and think the difficulty is just about right on hard. I'm starting chapter 4 right now and am heading in the first dungeon with a Mira statue on the empire side where I was am hoping to finally start class changing my guys (Alm side). 

So far, apart from villagers, only Serika has class changed (forced), but some units seem to have become weak. Luka is now totally useless and that other soldier guy (Fo-su?) is not much better, so those will be the first to get promoted. Most enemies I face are on tier 2, and that witch summoning witches map was pretty tough on my low res guys, so I feel like I should have started to promote my units a while ago, but the min/maxer in me is slowing that process down.

So, for those who have played the game, when did you start promoting your tier 1 guys? It stands to reason that delaying the class change of 2-tier classes is beneficial in the long run, but when did you promote those too?

I only played Normal so far, but I promoted everyone not Alm and Delthea ASAP. Alm is pretty obvious, since he promotes late and doesn't get a buff by that time. Likewise with Delthea.

Everyone else got carried by their bases + promotion bases. Some weren't as useful as others, but Normal is pretty straightforward, so it wasn't a huge issue. Will be interesting to see how they fare on Hard.

I see. I might have been holding off a little bit too long!

I haven't been grinding much and the XP acquisition rate seems to dwindle a lot in the upper 10s, even for starting class. The promotion stat boost is also significant in some cases. 

Having no prior experience with Gaiden, I've been enjoying this game quite a lot even if it differs from the others in the series! Plus, I can practice my japanese!

Grinding after the promotion level is much more bearable in this game, so if you want to be a tryhard, I guess go for it. I think characters like Faye and Python can really use it.