More info on the cancelled Wii FE real-time Strategy game

Harvey

That's certainly interesting. It's hard to imagine Fire Emblem as a real time strategy game. I was under the impression this cancelled game was more of a real time RPG and not a strategy game. Maybe it could have been something like the Kingdom Under Fire games which combine action combat with real time commanding of troops. Or maybe even something like Dragon Age Origins real time with pause combat, but with more units and less abilities and options for each individual unit.

I remember seeing those magazine scans long ago, that concept art looks marvelous. The game's aesthetic was shaping up quite nicely.

I concur the game looks wonderful. Very realistic, but a fantasy touch which could alternate between being awash in light and darkness.

Points for using Stefan as a beta character, minus a few for Ilyana. 

So basically somebody got the idea in their head that an RTS FE would be cool, plunged into it, and only on a second rational thought the game got canceled? Understandable. Would like seeing the idea resurrected eventually, with a similar aesthetic. The major problem I admit for such a game would be reconciling FE's beloved permadeath with fast-paced battle. 

Kind of glad it didnt go through. Not sure a real time strategy game for FE would work too well unless its a spin off. Major departures from a game's core elements like that never do well.

On 4/28/2017 at 7:05 AM, Tolvir said:

Kind of glad it didnt go through. Not sure a real time strategy game for FE would work too well unless its a spin off. Major departures from a game's core elements like that never do well.

Highly depends on the franchise, Mario 64 was a huge departure from traditional Mario at its time. With Nonlinear progression the 3D plane etc. Almost every Final Fantasy in existence, and quite a few others I could name.

7 hours ago, Jedi said:

Highly depends on the franchise, Mario 64 was a huge departure from traditional Mario at its time. With Nonlinear progression the 3D plane etc. Almost every Final Fantasy in existence, and quite a few others I could name.

True, but they also didn't abandon the core gameplay of what made them popular in the first place, which is what I meant. At Mario 64's core, it was still the platformer that people loved. Final Fantasy has always been an RPG, lately it has changed to a more action based system, but it is still an RPG.

Changing a main Fire Emblem game to an RTS changes what Fire Emblem is at its core, which is a tactical turn based strategy. Real Time tends to lack the more tactical side of things for more of a emphasis on team make up, equipment, etc.

For example in Warcraft III there is more of an emphasis on what units you produce to make up your army, and what Hero you chose and what equipment he has rather than what you actually do in a fight. Mostly because fights can become quite chaotic and you can lose track of your units easily. At the same time games like Warhammer 40k Dawn of War is a lot more tactical with an emphasis on unit placement, flanking, and the like, but battles can still become chaotic in those games due to the real time nature of them and you can start losing track of units, once again placing a little more emphasis on who you are using rather than how you are using them.

Fire Emblem on the other hand has more of an emphasis on what you do in battle. You can use a team of subpar, weaker units and still win the game if you know what you are doing tactically. I think changing that would harm it more than anything.

Maybe as a spin off.

Edited by Tolvir