Voting Gauntlet: Battle of the Mages!

Vaximillian

15 minutes ago, Bartozio said:

Well, I know Lyn beat Lucina, but I figured they are close enough in popularity that there wouldn't be a clear winner when they go up against each other. As long as there's no clear favourite, there's no sell out, right?

and...., how could you not like Lyn? She's the first waifu (for the western audience)! To each their own I guess.

Reveal hidden contents

I will enjoy your missary when the time comes.

Aside from her looks and her being the first character many Westerners controlled in a Fire Emblem game (in other words nostalgia factor), I just don't understand why she is as popular as she is. I find her incredibly bland and uninteresting and also feel that she is a useless character who adds absolutely nothing to FE7's overall plot. Blazing Blade wasn't the first Fire Emblem I played, so she doesn't hold any nostalgia factor with me either. I simply detest how ridiculously popular she is, but that's all I will say on her.

2 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

I personally like her okay (less so since the CYL ballot), but I really was kind of surprised she has so much support. Even if she was the first lord in the West, one would think that was still a relatively small number compared to anything Awakening related. She was an assist in Smash, but Lucina was a fighter (granted, a clone). I can't quite figure out how she got so popular, and while anti-Lucina campaigning may have helped, I wonder if it was really enough to bolster her vote that much. The high dress split probably helped though.

Yeah, as I said above, her popularity just baffles me.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

The gauntlet just "hates" Elibe. Elibe characters have been in plenty of focus banners and FE7 even got its own banner that had six characters (while PoR only got four characters for whatever reason. Why couldn't two more of the Greil Mercs be in the PoR banner to equal the FE7 one, really...?). So Heroes as a whole doesn't really hate Elibe, it's just the gauntlet that excludes it for whatever reason.

And even as an Elibe hater, I do find this puzzling.

The pattern so far is that introducing a region/series gives at most 4 characters from it (Elibe was already introduced from the start, but Tellius and Valentia both got 4 characters each to introduce them. Sacred Stones got shafted even harder than Tellius, you may notice, getting only 2 characters to rep it so far). Echoes is probably getting 4 more characters to go with Celica and after that, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Echoes/Tellius start getting their own banners of 4-6 additional non-main characters eventually. So just be patient. 

also inb4 'I don't care about Sacred Stones' or something of the sort

Man hating things so much must be exhausting. I'd much rather just... like... spend my energy on things I like instead of things that make me unhappy? I don't understand it. 

EDIT: @SatsumaFSoysoy you got me, man. That's what I'm saying. You don't have to like it, sure (guess who doesn't give a whit about Marth, lol-- this guy), but actively hating things is so much bother IMO. 

Edited by BANRYU

6 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Why do people hate popular things?

Well, for me, I don't hate Lyn. I don't know why she's as popular as she is, but I don't hate her. Though I have also perceived a similar phenomena with Lucina. Maybe they have legitimate reasons, maybe they don't, but in any case she gets a good amount of distaste.

6 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Because being popular is for squares. Real gangsters Rep their squad even if they suck

Also, I think you missed the part where supporting the underdog gives you more feathers XD

Also, @TheTuckingFypo, @Rezzy, @Anime27Arts, and I'm pretty sure @eclipse is on team Leo too.

I convinced my brother to pull on the hero's fest banner, since he had percentage left and its going to end soon

He only had 14 orbs

He wanted Takumi and Ryoma

He goes to the pulling screen

Two greens, two reds, one blue

He pulls the first red

Olivia

Second red?

You know what he got?

Spoiler

HE GOT A 5 STAR THARJA!

Spoiler

No I'm kidding XD

Spoiler

MY BROTHER GOT A FLIPPING LEO FROM THE HERO'S FEST BANNER!

IS THIS FATE?

18 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

Sacred Stones got shafted even harder than Tellius,

I wouldn't say that.  As you said, they introduce a focus with 4 characters from a set of games.  The case with Ephraim and Eirika being added seems more like they were already planned for a themed focus, Sibling Bonds and whatnot.  Remember Sanaki? Same went for all the Jugdral characters currently in.  They'll probably release Jugdral/Magvel-centric focuses with a story chapter eventually.

The only odd thing is Shadows of Valentia getting a paralogue instead of a story chapter...and wouldn't these story chapter/continent introductions be better if they also came with a batch of 3*s/4*s that could also participate in the chapters?  It's all very confusing and hard to predict what they're planning on doing with the game.

Edited by Sayyyaka

2 hours ago, Bartozio said:

A fine choice indeed, the Begnion army welcomes you with open arms. Our empress will lead us to victory!

Also, why do you think M!Robin is the likely winner? I can see him pulling of a suprise victory, but Tharja should be far more popular.

First of all, thanks we shall represent Tellius until the end!

Second,Smash is the word,have you seen how many votes Roy got on this freaking ballot?? His personality is awful and even as a unit he is bad. Tharja may be one of the most voted characters,but she gets a lot of hate also! So if she is facing any popular unit on the finals it'll be a tough call, especially if this unit is Robin!

8 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Well, for me, I don't hate Lyn. I don't know why she's as popular as she is, but I don't hate her. Though I have also perceived a similar phenomena with Lucina. Maybe they have legitimate reasons, maybe they don't, but in any case she gets a good amount of distaste.

The only reason I can think of for anyone liking Lyn is nostalgia. For many, she was the first FE lord they got to know since FE7 was the first FE to be released in the west. But this is only in the west, it doesn't affect Japan and even out in the west, many people started with Awakening or other games instead. I myself started with PoR.

So why she's as popular as she is, I really have little clue. I don't hate her either, I just think she's pretty meh.

19 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

The pattern so far is that introducing a region/series gives at most 4 characters from it (Elibe was already introduced from the start, but Tellius and Valentia both got 4 characters each to introduce them. Sacred Stones got shafted even harder than Tellius, you may notice, getting only 2 characters to rep it so far). Echoes is probably getting 4 more characters to go with Celica and after that, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Echoes/Tellius start getting their own banners of 4-6 additional non-main characters eventually. So just be patient. 

also inb4 'I don't care about Sacred Stones' or something of the sort

Sacred Stones got characters in the game before Tellius even got one though, so I can't really agree that it got shafted harder. Also, I do care about Sacred Stones. :P

7 minutes ago, Sayyyaka said:

I wouldn't say that.  As you said, they introduce a focus with 4 characters from a set of games.  The case with Ephraim and Eirika being added seems more like they were already planned for a themed focus, Sibling Bonds and whatnot.  Remember Sanaki? Same went for all the Jugdral characters currently in.  They'll probably release Jugdral/Magvel-centric focuses with a story chapter eventually.

The only odd thing is Shadows of Valentia getting a paralogue instead of a story chapter...and wouldn't these story chapter/continent introductions be better if they also came with a batch of 3*s/4*s that could also participate in the chapters?  It's all very confusing and hard to predict what they're planning on doing with the game.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Sacred Stones got characters in the game before Tellius even got one though, so I can't really agree that it got shafted harder.

For what it's worth I KIND of agree, and I suppose I should have been a bit clearer in that I was pretty much solely talking about quantity in that regard. It's not so much that I believe that myself as it is that I can see how someone might feel that way (and technically, at the time at least, such a claim was also true of Jugdral lol). 

But yeah, I agree, they will probably give us more of all of the above in the future, so I don't mind waiting. 

As for the SoV thing not getting a story chapter, I mean... that's not really the outlier so much, is it? So far Ike and Tellius are the only ones who've gotten a main story chapter instead of a paralogue (probably owing to their popularity), so it seems like paralogues are the more probable trend for new story characters. 

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Also, I do care about Sacred Stones. :P

Hahh. Okay great =w= Sacred Stones is cool. 

2 minutes ago, Ace Pelleas said:

First of all, thanks we shall represent Tellius until the end!

Second,Smash is the word,have you seen how many votes Roy got on this freaking ballot?? His personality is awful and even as a unit he is bad. Tharja may be one of the most voted characters,but she gets a lot of hate also! So if she is facing any popular unit on the finals it'll be a tough call, especially if this unit is Robin!

Even with his Smash background, Robin still finished with substantially less votes than Tharja in CYL (14,149 to Tharja's 29,540) and also placed 6th (7th if we're counting Ike twice) among the FE Smash characters. Tharja not only placed 4th overall but was the highest placed non-Lord character in the ballot. Again, I am well aware CYL can't be used to accurately predict how Voting Gauntlet matches will go, but I still think Tharja is ultimately going to win this gauntlet relatively easily. I suppose it all depends on how much of an impact the new losing team gets a x3 multiplier mechanic has.

23 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

Because being popular is for squares. Real gangsters Rep their squad even if they suck

Also, I think you missed the part where supporting the underdog gives you more feathers XD

Also, @TheTuckingFypo, @Rezzy, @Anime27Arts, and I'm pretty sure @eclipse is on team Leo too.

I convinced my brother to pull on the hero's fest banner, since he had percentage left and its going to end soon

He only had 14 orbs

He wanted Takumi and Ryoma

He goes to the pulling screen

Two greens, two reds, one blue

He pulls the first red

Olivia

Second red?

You know what he got?

Hide contents

HE GOT A 5 STAR THARJA!

Hide contents

No I'm kidding XD

Hide contents

IS THIS FATE?

Lucky him. I want my leo back, I betrayed him when I sacrificed him to a unit that i don't even remember anymore. That's why i have to get him no matter what in the next banner

21 minutes ago, Sayyyaka said:

Maybe once Celica's banner gets released, we'll get a story chapter with characters from both Valentia banners? Although the odd thing is that the paralogue already has the "World of Shadows" name now. Maybe they'll call it "Return to Shadows" or something and assume people have already played the paralogue? Or just an alternative name like how Ch9 is "Heroes Invade", since both that and Ch10 changed up the story structure.

Trained my 4* Tharja  up to 40. Promoted her. Trained her up to 40 again. Dumped skills on her. Now my girl is ready to destroy all these inferior, doomed mages!

11 minutes ago, Frenzify said:

Trained my 4* Tharja  up to 40. Promoted her. Trained her up to 40 again. Dumped skills on her. Now my girl is ready to destroy all these inferior, doomed mages!

I got my recently pulled 5* Tharja trained up and ready to go for this gauntlet as well. I'll definitely be on your side by the end of this gauntlet if Leo loses prior to the finals again, which he probably will.

2 hours ago, Arcanite said:

Hide contents

HE GOT A 5 STAR THARJA!

Hide contents

No I'm kidding XD

Hide contents

IS THIS FATE?

Yes, we all are. 

And yes, it all points to you joining Team Leo.

Or at least your brother.

5 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Ooooh....

I still visit their graves from time to time.

I spoke in past tense simply because those gauntlets were in the past.

The second sense wasn't intended :D

4 hours ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

4 hours ago, BANRYU said:

Man hating things so much must be exhausting. I'd much rather just... like... spend my energy on things I like instead of things that make me unhappy? I don't understand it. 

EDIT: @SatsumaFSoysoy you got me, man. That's what I'm saying. You don't have to like it, sure (guess who doesn't give a whit about Marth, lol-- this guy), but actively hating things is so much bother IMO. 

4 hours ago, Arcanite said:

If these aren't "Quotes For Truth" then I don't what they're what supposed, to begin with.

Probably why I'm more interested into annoying those kinds of people. :P

BTW does any1 have a good idea when the gauntlet is supposed to begin?

Edited by Zangetsu

4 hours ago, Sayyyaka said:

Pretty sure they'll have a Valentia chapter released sometime after the game. Same with Celica's banner. That only makes sense. Spacing out the banners and chapters gives two rounds of advertising: one prior to the release of the game, and one during/after the release of the game. The first one might get people interested, and, for the second, if people are interested, they can go out and buy the game. There will also probably be free orbs and stuff to commemorate the release of the game.

Oh, ffs, I was just kidding about "FE Heroes hates Elibe". It wasn't just because of the gauntlet, but because another thread stated how Roy and Zephiel are the only characters whose swords originally had distant counter who didn't get them in the game.

7 hours ago, Sayyyaka said:

It's a reference to the fact that paralogues are called gaiden chapters in the Japanese games. FE Echoes - Shadows of Valentia's basis game is FE Gaiden... you may draw your conclusions from there.

Edited by Roflolxp54

8 hours ago, Sayyyaka said:

One word: Gaiden

Spoiler

VPNuBER.png

Edited by shadowofchaos

4 hours ago, Astellius said:

Spacing out the banners and chapters gives two rounds of advertising: one prior to the release of the game, and one during/after the release of the game. The first one might get people interested, and, for the second, if people are interested, they can go out and buy the game. There will also probably be free orbs and stuff to commemorate the release of the game.

And the first one was at the Japanese release of the game and the second is probably gonna be at the international release.

So I pull from the hero fest banner for the good percents and out of my goodies was a 4* Roy.  Who was kind enough to immediately give my 5* Robin M for voting gauntlet Triangle Adept 3.  So Robin M is ready for Voting gauntlet with a vengeance. The Sanaki* will be burn in righteous fire in his wake.  It will be glorious  So I'm excited.  Granted I do wish the best for player who are concern popular character issues will still be a problem. Hopeful the comeback feature they promise will help keep things form two one sided.  Plus I do wonder if they clash.  Who would win Robin M or Tharja.

*Note I have unholy disgust for the Character Sanaki from playing the games she was in and bear unfair bias towards the character only and not her fans.

Well, it's confirmed that the losing side's point boost will also affect personal rank scores. That kinda sucks from the sound of it but I guess we'll have to see how it goes. I know nobody likes the clear cut winner meta where people bandwagon that we've had so far, but I don't think I'd like to see people ride the loser teams to boost their total rank as a new meta either. At least high personal ranking has been achievable by anyone so far (give you have unit for the team you're on and can battle often enough).