Voting Gauntlet: Battle of the Mages!

Vaximillian

1 minute ago, Tybrosion said:

My point in bringing that up was to show that there are multiple instances where their wording implies that the gauntlet is meant to be a popularity contest.

Oh... I'm just asking if you have an idea that could make it less so of a popularity contest. Sorry I asked. :unsure:

5 minutes ago, Sophie said:

The only time I was remotely salty at someone winning in the gauntlets so far was Ephraim over Chrom, because I just really don't like him, but even then that's more of a personal thing :p

B-b-b-but Ephraim, he's a cool guy! >.<
Sigh~ Oh well. Not everyone likes him and I understand that... :rolleyes:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Magnux7 said:

I'm really scared Tharja might just lose this.. Robin is guaranteed to get 1 more multiplier and he can pull in 3 billion with it :/

It's gonna take several hours for Tharja to catch up, and then even more hours to pull away from Robin. It's very likely that it will take so much time that when Robin do get the bonus, there will only be a couple of hours left which makes him win.

I really have to admit, I'll be fucking salty as hell if my fav character loses because of some bullshit rubber banding from IS ;_;

1 hour ago, NekoKnight said:

Imagine if your favorite character isn't the top Waifu pick and you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning. If the gaunlet playes by the old rules, Tharja would win by a landslide in every round, just like Camilla. With the x3 comeback system there is actually competition and strategy.

I'm gonna have to agree with NK on this one; if Robin actually DOES manage to pull it off, I will actually be quite pleasantly surprised that the obvious winner in terms of popularity didn't take it-- and yeah, I'm actually happy that this one is winding up having a degree of uncertainty, as well as strategy and competition, to it. Landslide victories aren't fun or interesting. 

1 hour ago, wizzard of soz said:

me:

4546c37689232ceacbe67c89a04ff576.png

also me:

edfac56dea287396322971981e966a0d.png

HEH xD

I think the 3x multiplier was a first attempt bandaid fix because they saw just how big the blowouts were before and didn't want people on other teams being discouraged from participating.(not everyone is happy to just game it for feathers, I'm sure most still just pic their favorite character and hope for the best) Personally, I wish the gauntlet worked more like splatfests in Splatoon. Popularity is just a part of calculating the winner, while still important, and winning matches (they could just use the system they're already using for gauntlets for the most part, with some tweaks) could contribute to the rest of it. Maybe toss some time periods with score multipliers (globally) to replace flag multipliers.

In general I found the splatfests to seem pretty fair in determining a winner, and if anyone's played Splatoon you know it caused a lot of tight matches and fan art. At least going towards that direction might be some kind of improvement. I think we can all agree the gauntlet system could use improvement, and splatfests are just what comes to mind as a similar thing that I really enjoyed.

2 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

Yes. Though I warn you. I absolutely loathe Ephraim. One of the few that hates the guy. 

I'm with you here. I mildly dislike Ephraim and Ike. Ephraim and…

2 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

But like many others, I like Ike!

…oh.

7 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Even then it's not exactly a completely reliable source. Ballots are typically supposed to be one vote per person. It's better than nothing, but not the end all predictor. Just ask Chrom.

True, but Chrom would have lost to Lucina anyway, so ultimately the results remain true to the poll.

2 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

If they want the gauntlet to be an actual competition, then they should just create more balanced match-ups instead of tweaking the mechanics of the event probably remove those instances of the phrase "most popular" to not leave the implication that they intend for the gauntlet to be a popularity contest and nothing else.

So it's just the description's wording that bothers you? After Lucina's crushing victory they added more flags to the event in a hope to balance the competition. When that didn't work, they added a multiplyer. They've been trying to make it a fair fight since the beginning.

As far as choosing equally popular characters, as someone else mentioned, a clear favorite will appear no matter how you slice it. It could be the top waifu, the strongest character or the one with most meme power, but they'll be picked up and the slaughter will begin.

8 minutes ago, Alkaid said:

I think the 3x multiplier was a first attempt bandaid fix because they saw just how big the blowouts were before and didn't want people on other teams being discouraged from participating.(not everyone is happy to just game it for feathers, I'm sure most still just pic their favorite character and hope for the best) Personally, I wish the gauntlet worked more like splatfests in Splatoon. Popularity is just a part of calculating the winner, while still important, and winning matches (they could just use the system they're already using for gauntlets for the most part, with some tweaks) could contribute to the rest of it. Maybe toss some time periods with score multipliers (globally) to replace flag multipliers.

In general I found the splatfests to seem pretty fair in determining a winner, and if anyone's played Splatoon you know it caused a lot of tight matches and fan art. At least going towards that direction might be some kind of improvement. I think we can all agree the gauntlet system could use improvement, and splatfests are just what comes to mind as a similar thing that I really enjoyed.

I second this notion wholeheartedly. The Gauntlet results should, first and foremost, be based on the results of battles.... BUT, I suppose the Splatoon formula does not necessarily match up since 1) battles are pretty easy to win in the gauntlet, and 2) they're not played in real time competition like Splatoon... So that might skew the results a BIT and I'm not sure how well it would match up...? In theory, it could work, though....

In the meantime, I'm glad they're at least taking SOME countermeasures to fix how broken the Gauntlets have been prior... though it'd still be better if they just avoided having characters who are indisputably and overwhelmingly popular. (In this gauntlet for instance I'd have put in Odin and Lilina over Robin and Tharja; I think that'd have made for a much less predictable and more interesting outcome.)

I feel like people are whispering about not liking the characters that I like, and I don't like it. >:(

But, anyways, I'm actually surprised Robin is in the lead at the moment. Is there are chance that a character that I genuinely like may win the gauntlet? 'Cause, not gonna lie, when Tsubaki lost in the flier one, I banwagon'd Camilla because, if my favorite character wasn't gonna win, I was at least gonna get some feathers out of the deal.

For those wanting to know when they should aim to use feathers on Robin's team:

https://imgur.com/ehwHnkl

They guys who wrote this up correction guessed his previous x3 window 8 hours before it happened. Apparently how the numbers are working in these battles are fairly predictable after a certain time frame.

3 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

So it's just the description's wording that bothers you? After Lucina's crushing victory they added more flags to the event in a hope to balance the competition. When that didn't work, they added a multiplyer. They've been trying to make it a fair fight since the beginning.

As far as choosing equally popular characters, as someone else mentioned, a clear favorite will appear no matter how you slice it. It could be the top waifu, the strongest character or the one with most meme power, but they'll be picked up and the slaughter will begin.

I suppose my entire case here boils down to the fact that, yes, I think that the wording they chose to use creates confusion on whether or not they want the gauntlet to be about actual competition where it's anyone's game or if they want the character with the biggest following to win, and only that character.

22 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

Aw hell dude, toss her over my way, all I been gettin' is these weaksauce vanilla bun Camillas with no SI work. //my way of saying I'm adding you lol

And accepted! That's a very nice Nino you've got there my dude. I'm jealous cause I've only ever pulled 2 3* -atk/+def Ninos. I can't teach her to read with IVs like that.

3 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

BUT, I suppose the Splatoon formula does not necessarily match up since 1) battles are pretty easy to win in the gauntlet, and 2) they're not played in real time competition like Splatoon... So that might skew the results a BIT and I'm not sure how well it would match up...? In theory, it could work, though...

Totally, that's why I said they'd need some tweaks. I haven't put enough thought in to come up with how they could make it work best (like basically a second arena perhaps? as a passing idea) but at least going that direction seems like it could turn out good if they did it well. Splatfests were a lot of fun, and I feel like they could at least take some elements from them since the guantlet is so similar on a base level. (popularity contests + battles between the teams) I'd love for gauntlets to get all that fun fan art and rivalry (the fun kind) that we haven't really seen again since the first gauntlet.

8 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

True, but Chrom would have lost to Lucina anyway, so ultimately the results remain true to the poll.

I still want Lucina to take Lyn down.

9 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

I'm with you here. I mildly dislike Ephraim and Ike. Ephraim and…

…oh.

Despite being a modern fan, I actually don't mind Ephraim and Ike (well, except when everyone practically worships him).

Voting Gauntlet thread drinking game, if you drink, take a shot every time someone accidentally calls flags feathers

3 minutes ago, Arthur97 said:

Despite being a modern fan, I actually don't mind Ephraim and Ike (well, except when everyone practically worships him).

I specifically mind either being worshipped to the point of absurdity, both in- and out-of-game.

There are fans and there are fanatics.

Just now, Sophie said:

Voting Gauntlet thread drinking game, if you drink, take a shot every time someone accidentally calls flags feathers

And what if they do it on purpose? It's already become sort of a meme.

Edited by Vaximillian

3 hours ago, Arcanite said:

OUR BONDS GIVE ME STRENGTH!

That's Lucy's line. Not that it matter but cuz hey Time-traveling Waifu

2 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

A real loss to Tharja is making Robin lose the gauntlet. :^)

If you really want to spite the dark mage, well, let's make sure Tharja wins.

Whoever loses, Tharja wins. Totally got that from a Reddit comment.

1 hour ago, phineas81707 said:

Well, my support is for the best tactician IS has...

Reveal hidden contents

latest?cb=20080808185848

...Well, she's not as fanservicey as Tharja, but I think she's the closest AW's gotten.

My God, what shameless harlot! It's not like there are hundreds of men that actually walks around shirtless, but a woman exposing her a midriff? UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

On that note, she's looks remarkably similar to Castlevania's Shanoa.

3 hours ago, Taxon said:

Indeed. We're all allies based on mutual hatred. Say what you like about Tharja, but it's great that she can bring people together like this.

Your salty tears goes well with my fries.

1 hour ago, Magnux7 said:

Jeez guys :L 

What I mean is, instead of adding some bullshit unfair bonus for less popular heroes, IS should rather focus on making Gauntlets with even match ups. 

They shouldn't put 1 juggernaut against 7 niche heroes. Rather put the juggs up against other juggs.

That would make the Gauntlet more even without having to manipulate results.

Everyone kinda already said that in the "How would you fix the Gauntlet" thread

1 hour ago, Roflolxp54 said:

I might have to take a break from the community (SF's Heroes subforum) soon. The boasting and jeering are honestly grating on my nerves.

Sorry hear that. It always a shame when someone wants to separate themselves from their community, but I can't blame you.

55 minutes ago, Beddlam said:

The idea that there is strategy involved in the voting gauntlet is laughable.

Communication is the key.

33 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Also, let's not forget this is the first time they're doing this. Maybe depending on how things go, they'll work on things to help things be more fair.

You all seriously underestimating popularity of an Avatar. I'm not even talking about Robin anymore.

3 hours ago, BANRYU said:

That's one way to look at it heh xDD

Wait.... Tharja and Lissa....?? :?? Why those two?? xD I don't have a problem with it, I'm just confused.

Actually, I wanted Tharja to be able to support with Chrom. x3 It never gets touched on except at one of those points in the story where all the troops you use frequently speak up and give little 'yeah let's do this!' quotes, but... she actually IS loyal to Chrom since he decided to trust her, and says as such in that moment which I find pretty interesting. I'd do Tharja x Chrom hah xDD 

Lissa & Tharja because every Shepard (with the exception of Chrom & the "Avatar Sexual characters") has 2 same gender support. I guess one could argue Rhajat & Ophelia but that's too much a stretch.

Your Chrom & Tharja support argument intrigues me. I never saw it that way before. Then again I always thought it was stupid that Chrom could only S-support 5 female characters so there's that.

Edited by Zangetsu

1 minute ago, Vaximillian said:

I specifically mind either being worshipped to the point of absurdity, both in- and out-of-game.

I hate Ephraim but like Ike. I'm not a fanatic of either.

1 minute ago, Zangetsu said:

My God, what shameless harlot! It's not like there are hundreds of men that actually walks around shirtless, but a woman exposing her a midriff? UNACCEPTABLE!!!!

On that note, she's looks remarkably similar to Castlevania's Shanoa.

...OK, there's something to be said about Sami and maybe Japanese Nell, but apart from those two, all the AW women dress really conservatively such that 'baring a midriff' is the closest they have.

Spoiler

b3693898ae67a6097f6105ab2847f925.jpg

...OK, there's a lot to be said about Sami.

4 minutes ago, Vaximillian said:

Wow, are you me? :)

I really love Ephraim's lines in Heroes though. Like, I don't even know why, but he belongs to the ~10 characters whose voice acting I really dig. Still didn't support him in his gauntlet though.

Yeah I don't think that's as bad you're thinking it is. If that was the case, every MMA fighter is shameless exhibitionist.

Edited by Zangetsu

Wow, I'm finding so many people with GOOD TASTE today, it's amazing

Anyways, I hope they find more ways to improve the gauntlet, it's pretty interesting and i usually enjoy it whenever it comes up, so.