Battle of the Ages

Alm v Celica Route wise  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which route do you enjoy more?

• Alm's
    • Celica's

It's hard to say, honestly. Alm has less nonsense on his maps, but his units are more boring to use than Celica's. At least before you get a Magic Ring for Delthea. Mathilda with a Beastslayer is another exception.

Since I can really only go by gameplay, Alm's. I like Alm's units more (will have to wait for the English release to see if I like them as CHARACTERS more) and I'll take Alm's mostly open, but boring maps over Celica's tedious hair pulling maps.

Alm's maps are so much better it's not even funny. Aside from a few dumb ones like the one right before Rudolf, they're generally actually playable. Many of Celica's force you to turtle so hard, unless there's a way to cheese them that I don't know of. The Whitewings are the only reason most of those maps were playable.

That being said, I enjoyed using the units on Celica side more, like everyone else here it seems. Palla and Catria are beasts, and fighting with multiple mages and Dread Fighters was more fun than the better balanced Alm side. Still, having to spend like 40 turns in the desert killed any chance of me voting for Celica's route.

54 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

The Whitewings are the only reason most of those maps were playable.

What are you talking about? Valbar was clearly made to solo Celica's entire third and fourth chapter.

Just now, Thane said:

It was a joke about how Valbar is rendered useless due to the map design. Poor guy needs wings.

I know it was, I was just trying to have fun too ;n;

Celica probably would have appreciated another archer as well. It's too bad Atlas is terrible and Est comes way too late.

3 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Celica probably would have appreciated another archer as well. It's too bad Atlas is terrible and Est comes way too late.

You've got no real choice but to feed Est kills. I mean when you get to a certain few chapters,

Spoiler

like with the guy who summons Zombie Dragons,

your non-flying units will have an incredibly limited viability in the beginning, and only a handful will do something later on while the Whitewings do 80% of the heavy lifting. Again, it's baffling they didn't fix this somehow.

Also don't talk shit about my man Atlas! I managed to turn him into a decent Bow Knight!

Edited by Thane

6 minutes ago, Thane said:

You've got no real choice but to feed Est kills. I mean when you get to a certain few chapters,

Hide contents

your non-flying units will have an incredibly limited viability in the beginning, and only a handful will do something later on while the Whitewings do 80% of the heavy lifting. Again, it's baffling they didn't fix this somehow.

Also don't talk shit about my man Atlas! I managed to turn him into a decent Bow Knight!

Don't like using Angel? Celica and Mae should be making great use of that.

Just now, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Don't like using Angel? Celica and Mae should be making great use of that.

Sure, but I'm less keen on them being chomped on by Zombie Dragons before they can retaliate - the former have four Movement and swamps to deal with, the latter have eight and can fly.

Just now, Thane said:

Sure, but I'm less keen on them being chomped on by Zombie Dragons before they can retaliate - the former have four Movement and swamps to deal with, the latter have eight and can fly.

Set up position, and don't try to rush the map. I know you're not fond of deserts and swamps, you've made that clear, but patience is a virtue in warfare.

Peg knights are great summoner assassins but that doesn't mean everyone else is useless on Celica's route, c'mon man.

Just now, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Set up position, and don't try to rush the map. I know you're not fond of deserts and swamps, you've made that clear, but patience is a virtue in warfare.

This is the third time in a short while you're trying to give me strategic advice. It's okay, buddy, I've played strategy games for a long time.

1 minute ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

Peg knights are great summoner assassins but that doesn't mean everyone else is useless on Celica's route, c'mon man.

I never said that. Celica and Saber are great units. However, the fact remains that their use is limited in the swamp maps. 

Also, the Whitewings can't just dive all the summoners that easily - they still hit back, and hard. Plus, they stand on those healing circles that also grant avoid, and there are other enemies nearby.

Just now, Thane said:

This is the third time in a short while you're trying to give me strategic advice. It's okay, buddy, I've played strategy games for a long time.

This is the umpteenth time you've complained about a design choice you don't happen to like about Gaiden instead of buckling up to deal with it. I know the the game isn't perfect but does every post have to include "it baffles me why they didn't update this". Right or wrong that gave me the impression you just weren't willing to adapt to the game and you were still trying to play the game like other Fire Emblem games, which is a mistake.

If that's my bad, it's my bad. But that's an impression it leaves. If I've overstepped, my apologies.

I happen to absolutely adore Gaiden for all of its flaws. I'm sad to see we don't agree on that point, but it is what it is.

1 minute ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

This is the umpteenth time you've complained about a design choice you don't happen to like about Gaiden instead of buckling up to deal with it.

I have "dealt with it"; I'm done with the game. I made a joke about poor Valbar being rendered useless.

2 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

If I've overstepped, my apologies.

Your heart's in the right place, buddy. It's not like I can fault you for that. However, I'm fine, really. If I need any advice, you'll be the first to know.

7 hours ago, Thane said:

What are you talking about? Valbar was clearly made to solo Celica's entire third and fourth chapter.

Villager fork him into greatness so you can see his giant head without a helmet lol

7 hours ago, Thane said:

Reveal hidden contents

I actually didn't train my Est, and just had Palla and Catria do everything lol. The lack of a third Whitewing meant I had to turtle out enemy Snipers with Leon before the Whitewings could go in, however. My Leon is way overleveled (but still worse than Tobin).