I Have Very Mixed Feelings on SoV (no story spoilers)

On 4/30/2017 at 6:01 PM, Wayward Alchemist said:

Pretty sure it's one RN, not Fates's pseudo-single RN. So like a 50% hit rate is actually a 50% hit rate. That's why there are more low-percent hits, high-percent misses, and 1-10% Crits for days, just like old Gaiden.

I'm pretty sure crits have always been one number. Back in Awakening, I constantly had Gaius getting 1% crits multiple times in a row. I am not that lucky.

19 minutes ago, Lyon's Dirge said:

Do you not know what probability is? A 95% hit-rate is not guaranteed.

Obviously. I was still a bit peeved it happened.

Everyone here has had their bullshit RNG moments. Such as

4 minutes ago, John_of_Valentia said:

Hard luck. I think the worst I had was Xander missing with two 88%.

2 minutes ago, John_of_Valentia said:

I also had Vaike miss with one 97%, which is arguably worse given the two number system.

Ouch. I don't think that ever happened to me in Awakening.

59 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Fates and FE6 took the cake for me. In fates (arena) Silas dodged 5 92%'s in a row. Then proceeded to crit the poor guy with a 3% chance. It even made me mad and it worked in my favor it was such bs. In FE6 I've had a berserker crit roy with a 10%. But his chance to hit was 1%....

Edited by Tsak
Clarifying

4 minutes ago, Tsak said:

Fates and FE6 took the cake for me. In fates (arena) Silas dodged 5 92%'s in a row. Then proceeded to crit the poor guy with a 3% chance. It even made me mad and it worked in my favor it was such bs. In FE6 I've had a berserker crit roy with a 10%. But his chance to hit was 1%....

In Binding Blade, Ch.11A, Roy got killed by a Brigand with an 8% hit-rate. I didn't heal Roy because i thought he could dodge it. What makes it worse is that the Brigand was the only enemy left.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

In Binding Blade, Ch.11A, Roy got killed by a Brigand with an 8% hit-rate. I didn't heal Roy because i thought he could dodge it. What makes it worse is that the Brigand was the only enemy left.

Heckin cutthroats. That kid is supposed to save the world

2 hours ago, John_of_Valentia said:

Hard luck. I think the worst I had was Xander missing with two 88%.

My worst luck was Raven missing a 90 something hit then getting killed by a 1% hit 10% crit! He was using a sword enemy had an axe... sheer willpower was the only reason I switched my game off and set it down rather than throwing the sp across the room.

Edit: I have had Finn dodge a 100% chance hit once though due to prayer activating might be remember wrong but I was super impressed by it at the time.

Edited by iavasechui

On 5/1/2017 at 0:47 AM, Thane said:

When I played through the game, I could literally place Genny right next to four units, summon Illusions, and they would never attack her. I must've done this literally over 100 times, and the only exception was the one you mentioned - I wouldn't have been so surprised if they AI didn't deviate that one single time, since it followed the pattern both before and after that.

Spoiler

So, does that exception happen to be that one water dragon Grima summons from the magic circle he stands on in the beginning? After two Turnwheel uses, it seems like that particular dragon always prioritizes killing a real unit over the illusions, so I had to reset. That's actually kinda dumb... How would anyone know that that one enemy deviates from the pattern?

It's been two whole days, and I've finally made it to Grima... This dungeon screwed me hard. Now I still have to beat him.

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:
  Hide contents

So, does that exception happen to be that one water dragon Grima summons from the magic circle he stands on in the beginning? After two Turnwheel uses, it seems like that particular dragon always prioritizes killing a real unit over the illusions, so I had to reset. That's actually kinda dumb... How would anyone know that that one enemy deviates from the pattern?

It's been two whole days, and I've finally made it to Grima... This dungeon screwed me hard. Now I still have to beat him.

Spoiler

Nope. It was Grima who deviated only once. He followed the pattern, broke it, then continued, being the only enemy to have ever done so for me in chapter 6.

26 minutes ago, Thane said:
  Hide contents

Nope. It was Grima who deviated only once. He followed the pattern, broke it, then continued, being the only enemy to have ever done so for me in chapter 6.

Strange, he never deviated for me. It was that one guy who would do it consistently. This game is wack.

On 30/04/2017 at 4:43 PM, Captain Karnage said:

1. Terrain Bonouses - first off, the terrain bonouses given to a unit standing on a tile are way to much, if a unit is staying on one of these tiles, it's way too luck reliant trying to hit them, and you can't wse them to help avoid magic attacks.

It's a weird system but I think it works. You flush out entrenched enemies with magic.

2. Overworld ambushes, sure you get to when they spawn and where they're at but if one we're to move down and attack you, you as a player have no say in to where your starting positions are at, and because of this if you're playing on classic mode and your 1 healer gets killed well good fucking luck, hope you didn't overwrite that last save file. I wouldn't have minded this that much if I could have just chosen where my units will start the on the map.

I've been surprised a few times, but I quickly learned to put my armies on villages or landmarks when not in use to avoid being ambushed. Tho I mut say it would suck to have a unit killed that way.

3. These maps can get really tedious, especially the ones you have to walk over tile that hurts you each turn, and because of how few healers you get it just becomes impossible, especially if there is a summoner on the map who keeps spawning gargoyles.

Those maps are hard but I do think they're fun. Mila's wheel helps alleviate frustrations and you have many options to counter monsters, like illusions and that instant kill spell.

4. hit rates are just garbage, I mean this, my guys are missing just way just to many 95% and the enemeis seem to hit at 20% far to often.

I'm pretty sure it's 1 RN but I haven't felt cheated yet (almost to Rudolph). If anything, I'd sympathize with the enemies who have to endure all of my crits. Again, Mila's wheel is very useful if things go south. 

5 witches, fighting these units just suck, since they can warp anywhere on the map, and ther's no real way to tell who they're going to attack, as they don't always like to hit units with really bad RES, and they seem to have a thing when it comes to attacking arc

As someone already mentioned, witches always target outer edges units. So put hig res unit in those spots. Mila's wheel might change their pattern too. It can be challenging to deal with them but it's also quite rewarding. Where I'm at in the story tho, they're not very threatening anymore (but they used to be!).

6. summoners are annoying to fight, you'll know when you get there

I like them. It's a slow push toward victory.

On 2017-5-2 at 11:37 PM, Armagon said:

My bullshit moment is still an enemy hitting a 3% critical, Morgan missing a 98% and then the enemy finishing with a critical luna, like what the hell seriously.

On 5/2/2017 at 10:42 AM, Armagon said:

You would not believe how many times this has happened to me, losing the level like that because I wasn't being cautious enough. These days I don't take my chances.

On 5/3/2017 at 11:30 PM, Thane said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Okay the same guy did it again. Except this time he hit Alm so fuck my whole day of progress. I think that particular enemy is specifically programmed to ignore illusions when he can get a kill.

I'm now midway throug chapter 4 and it's getting even worse

maps that are 50% tile that will hurt you

poor designed maps

I'm really getting tired of having to grind

hitting a mage on a tile that gives 40 avoid is absolute bullshit, espicially when they're casting a spell that knocks you down to 1 hp and they can ignore your terrain bonouses

I'm really starting to hate this game, I wish they had nerfed these bonouses a bit

Edited by Captain Karnage