FE Echoes Sells Through 80% of it's Initial Shipment

...Okay, this topic is not a discussion for people's feelings on localization choices in previous games. If you all want to complain about localization choices and fear-mongering about games that don't even exist yet while having zero knowledge about localization: sure, fine. Whatever. But do it in a topic other than this one, please.

Honestly, I made this topic because some people get so touchy and purist about the series, and convinced themselves that new fans were icky weirdos who only cared about the series because of ""waifu"" features. Most of y'all have some kinda persecution complex going on, that even stuff like this game selling completely within expectations is just a new reason to complain.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aenir/Aegir in the ending is pretty much a "The miracle never happen.", except arguably worse because it's not even clear what the mistake is if you're playing casually and it makes him look like a complete idiot.

I don't really like FE7 though so I'm not going to put effort into roasting it on a mobile device. 

3 hours ago, Calico said:

Most of y'all have some kinda persecution complex going on, that even stuff like this game selling completely within expectations is just a new reason to complain.

It's only a vocal very few acting like it's a failure but yeah, sorry.
The localization stuff is a bit of a touchy subject for me personally; I don't feel strongly about the actual content as much as people being hypocritical about it and making absurd leaps of logic. But once again, sorry.

2 hours ago, Iridium said:

Aenir/Aegir in the ending is pretty much a "The miracle never happen.", except arguably worse because it's not even clear what the mistake is if you're playing casually and it makes him look like a complete idiot.

I don't really like FE7 though so I'm not going to put effort into roasting it on a mobile device. 

SD has the wonderful "only male heirs can wield the Falchion", when no such line exists in the Japanese version and it looks even worse with Lucina wielding it 2000 years later.
But yeah, you could go back and forth on this forever and get nowhere. 

13 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Most of the "mature" elements are either implied or part of the villains' plan.
Considering they kept the incest in Fates and general track record, your fears are entirely unfounded. 

Sigurd literally gets burned alive. You're telling me they won't censor that? I can only imagine NoJ animating a cutscene of Sigurd literally burning to death and NoA censoring it because "OMG  OMG ITZ 2 GRAPHIC AND VIOLENT!!!!!!!!11!!!!1111!!!!". 

30 minutes ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Sigurd literally gets burned alive. You're telling me they won't censor that? I can only imagine NoJ animating a cutscene of Sigurd literally burning to death and NoA censoring it because "OMG  OMG ITZ 2 GRAPHIC AND VIOLENT!!!!!!!!11!!!!1111!!!!". 

They never censored Emmeryn's suicide in the west, so I doubt Sigurd's death would actually be censored. 

I do agree that genealogy of the holy war shouldn't be remade though, just because the game's structure is radically different from most of the recent FE games (even moreso than gaiden). I feel a remake of binding blade or tharacia 776 would be significantly better, as those games are more similar to the recent FE games and the games are more likely to benefit from some of the modern enhancements (such as skills, higher stat caps, reclassing, etc).

Not just that, but Genealogy got the Japanese equivalent of an "M rating" in Japan. So, if they were to remake it, the devs would have to water it down themselves to make it more global friendly, and due to how the law is in Japan when it comes to stuff like this. (And for an example of the latter point, I.E. DBZ Kai) 

The Echoes sales are pretty good then? If it stays that way then that's a solid performance of the possible Echoes brand. Jugdral, here we come! Even if we won't get Genealogy then big sales would still be a nice thing. Echoes seems to have some love poured into it and refused to make the awkward compromises fates did. I'd say that's deserving of success. 

I still don't entirely get the big hate for three house. The three main complaints I keep hearing are the lack of skinship, Beruka's and Saizo's C support and soleil.

I never viewed Skinship getting cut as a bad thing, the problem was its existence, not its removal. I don't see a way how a commander summoning his soldiers and rubbing their face no matter what horror they may have been through could get localized for the west. The concept doesn't exist here. 

Beruka's and Saizo's C support was an attempt at a joke that failed to land. Not the end of the world.

With Soleil I see her localisation as an honest attempt to do what they could with the terrible archetype they had been given. Like Skinship the concept Japanese Soleil's is based around doesn't exist here. 

2 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Not just that, but Genealogy got the Japanese equivalent of an "M rating" in Japan. So, if they were to remake it, the devs would have to water it down themselves to make it more global friendly, and due to how the law is in Japan when it comes to stuff like this. (And for an example of the latter point, I.E. DBZ Kai) 

...It got an A10+. Every game in the series prior to Awakening got that (with Awakening getting B12+).
No game in the series has gotten a D17+.

It's good to hear that the game is at least performing to IS' expectations, the sales may not be incredible compared to the previous two games, but at least it shows there may be interest in remaking the other older games. Now we just need for the western sales to keep up to that standard and hopefully we'll see the other games follow suit.

4 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

...We just had Fates, a game where Flora commits suicide by self-immolation in front of three people who care about her and are clearly devastated by it, come over and remain untouched aside from maybe some line changes (none of which that lessen the act). So if they're willing to keep that moment, what makes you think they'll edit Sigurd's death when it leads to a major plot development for half of the game?  

With that said, this topic does not belong in the thread and Calico has politely asked us to stop, so lets move on.

I know the DLC price points and release schedule has people on the fence right now, but it's a more direct way of showing support for this game since the developers get more of the money there than on game sales. Well, it also is a consumer's way of saying this sort of DLC is okay for future installments, but just some food for thought. I hear people saying they'll buy multiple copies of the game and I...don't think they're joking?

57 minutes ago, Gustavos said:

I know the DLC price points and release schedule has people on the fence right now, but it's a more direct way of showing support for this game since the developers get more of the money there than on game sales. Well, it also is a consumer's way of saying this sort of DLC is okay for future installments, but just some food for thought. I hear people saying they'll buy multiple copies of the game and I...don't think they're joking?

well considering the limited edition sold out within 8 hours at most major outlets for the game. (probably just being classic scalpers) but still it definitely bodes well for the company when stuff like that happens

6 hours ago, Gustavos said:

hear people saying they'll buy multiple copies of the game and I...don't think they're joking?

I've been on record as saying I would, and right now I have both the LE and a standard copy on order. I kind of want to get a copy graded as a collector's piece.

Some of us really like Gaiden in all of its weirdness, go figure.

This is great news, especially considering how Gaiden wasn't the most loved by Japanese gamers back then. I just hope the West pulls through, really want to see FE4 and FE5 remade. I've been dying to see a reimagined Battle of Balhalla (no pun intended, I swear it).

Edited by DragonLord

54 minutes ago, DragonLord said:

I've been dying to see a reimagined Battle of Balhalla (no pun intended, I swear it).

Ah yes, an unlockable-once-you-beat-the-game-once Battle of Belhalla scenario would be cool. Though who am I kidding? It'd be DLC for $4.99.

I can see it now:

Spoiler

Sylvia, Claud, Lachesis and Edain try to flee to safety being delicate units, and succeed. Ayra is responsible for cutting the path out to safety for the crew, but her fate is left tantalizingly unseen. Erinys helps the same, but with wings is successful in her flight to safety.

Tailtiu and Azelle also attempt to escape, but are shown being captured kicking and screaming. Blume pops in and condemns his sister when dragging her away, while Arvis is of mixed emotions for his half-brother when he orders him to house arrest.

Dew, Midir, Lex, Beowolf, Chulainn, Jamke, Alec, Arden, and Naoise all fight to the death (Fergus is apparently 22-23, born before Belhalla).

And then we have Lewyn and Brigid. They with the full blood of the Crusaders coursing through them and powerful Holy Weapons take command of the disastrous fight, hoping to ensure that at least some people survive this sudden catastrophic turn. Brigid distracts the enemy masses, unleashing a hailstorm of arrows upon them.

Lewyn rushes into Sigurd's burning corpse, and tries to collect Sigurd's surviving belongings. Yet before he can grab Tyrfing, he is almost scorched to death. Arvis refuses to let Lewyn do as he pleases, the Prince of Silesse will be spared if he surrenders now, all of them will be. Lewyn turns down this offer, and a Dance of Wind and Fire begins. Arvis leads in this dance, but Lewyn is no slouch, dodging Valflame's fatal sting with every step, while taking glancing shots at Arvis or firing powerful shots at the masses of enemies to aid his struggling comrades.

When it becomes clear that everyone who can flee has fled, the exhausted Lewyn realizes it's time for his own escape, but makes one last move to reclaim the Tyrfing. It fails, and this time Lewyn is severely burned by Valflame. But, Lewyn yet lives, he can still move. Arvis tells him it is a testament to his strength and heritage that he survived such a razing, but it is time for him to perish. Lewyn then fires off one more Forseti blast at Arvis before running away with all due haste.

Having gotten a fair distance away, Lewyn looks upon Belhalla, thinking on all that has happened in this last campaign. So much hope, so much tragedy, his breath is heavy.

Suddenly Manfroy wraps in and catching Lewyn with his guard down, finishes him off. Laughing that Silesse will now be no more and that the invasion may begin, Manfroy speaks that the last of the crusaders' descendants not under the Loptyr Cult's control, save stubborn Thracia, has perished. Loptyr's reign may now go uncontested. Leaving Lewyn's body where it is, Manfroy warps away again.

Lewyn then speaks his dying breaths to himself. This can't be it, I mustn't die, the world cannot be lost to darkness. ...Mother.

Then, the divine intervention occurs, Forseti speaks, and promises Lewyn to resurrect him. But in return for this brooking this violation of the natural order of life and death, his body in time he must forfeited to him. Through Lewyn's body alone, a body whose blood is the same as his own, may Forseti be able to assist humanity in Jugdral break free from the shackles of Loptyr which shall befall it for now.

Lewyn agrees to this deal, that he be allowed to live any longer at all is itself a blessing. A blessing so many good souls just lost do not have the option of. Lewyn  thus lets Forseti into him, and suddenly healed sufficiently to stand once more, walks away a changed man. He must return to Silesse at once, Mother and the kingdom must be told of what has and is about to happen. The foundations for a hopeful distant future cannot be laid too soon.

On 4/30/2017 at 7:02 PM, The DanMan said:

People were being stupidly pessimistic about this. 
80% of its initial shipment means it sold just as well as it was expected to.

To be fair, I didn't know that it sold 80% of the initial shipment at the time. THAT is impressive.

"80% of it's Initial Shipment" what does that mean when compared to awakening and fates sales?

my personal feelings - overall I liked awakening and fates but there where big story problems and some issues that separated these games from the older fire emblem games so I don't want there to be a bad message saying the new fire emblem game changed its formula from fates and awakening and was less successful

On 5/3/2017 at 9:23 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ah yes, an unlockable-once-you-beat-the-game-once Battle of Belhalla scenario would be cool. Though who am I kidding? It'd be DLC for $4.99.

I can see it now:

Hide contents

Sylvia, Claud, Lachesis and Edain try to flee to safety being delicate units, and succeed. Ayra is responsible for cutting the path out to safety for the crew, but her fate is left tantalizingly unseen. Erinys helps the same, but with wings is successful in her flight to safety.

Tailtiu and Azelle also attempt to escape, but are shown being captured kicking and screaming. Blume pops in and condemns his sister when dragging her away, while Arvis is of mixed emotions for his half-brother when he orders him to house arrest.

Dew, Midir, Lex, Beowolf, Chulainn, Jamke, Alec, Arden, and Naoise all fight to the death (Fergus is apparently 22-23, born before Belhalla).

And then we have Lewyn and Brigid. They with the full blood of the Crusaders coursing through them and powerful Holy Weapons take command of the disastrous fight, hoping to ensure that at least some people survive this sudden catastrophic turn. Brigid distracts the enemy masses, unleashing a hailstorm of arrows upon them.

Lewyn rushes into Sigurd's burning corpse, and tries to collect Sigurd's surviving belongings. Yet before he can grab Tyrfing, he is almost scorched to death. Arvis refuses to let Lewyn do as he pleases, the Prince of Silesse will be spared if he surrenders now, all of them will be. Lewyn turns down this offer, and a Dance of Wind and Fire begins. Arvis leads in this dance, but Lewyn is no slouch, dodging Valflame's fatal sting with every step, while taking glancing shots at Arvis or firing powerful shots at the masses of enemies to aid his struggling comrades.

When it becomes clear that everyone who can flee has fled, the exhausted Lewyn realizes it's time for his own escape, but makes one last move to reclaim the Tyrfing. It fails, and this time Lewyn is severely burned by Valflame. But, Lewyn yet lives, he can still move. Arvis tells him it is a testament to his strength and heritage that he survived such a razing, but it is time for him to perish. Lewyn then fires off one more Forseti blast at Arvis before running away with all due haste.

Having gotten a fair distance away, Lewyn looks upon Belhalla, thinking on all that has happened in this last campaign. So much hope, so much tragedy, his breath is heavy.

Suddenly Manfroy wraps in and catching Lewyn with his guard down, finishes him off. Laughing that Silesse will now be no more and that the invasion may begin, Manfroy speaks that the last of the crusaders' descendants not under the Loptyr Cult's control, save stubborn Thracia, has perished. Loptyr's reign may now go uncontested. Leaving Lewyn's body where it is, Manfroy warps away again.

Lewyn then speaks his dying breaths to himself. This can't be it, I mustn't die, the world cannot be lost to darkness. ...Mother.

Then, the divine intervention occurs, Forseti speaks, and promises Lewyn to resurrect him. But in return for this brooking this violation of the natural order of life and death, his body in time he must forfeited to him. Through Lewyn's body alone, a body whose blood is the same as his own, may Forseti be able to assist humanity in Jugdral break free from the shackles of Loptyr which shall befall it for now.

Lewyn agrees to this deal, that he be allowed to live any longer at all is itself a blessing. A blessing so many good souls just lost do not have the option of. Lewyn  thus lets Forseti into him, and suddenly healed sufficiently to stand once more, walks away a changed man. He must return to Silesse at once, Mother and the kingdom must be told of what has and is about to happen. The foundations for a hopeful distant future cannot be laid too soon.

I'd like to see a big cinematic like this. There'd probably have to be a scene where Brigid gets injured, or is hit by dark magic, leading to

her getting Amnesia and winding up in Manster/Thracia, and becoming Eyval.

Seeing that scene in full animation/HD would probably make many people happy.

Edited by Slumber

On 5/3/2017 at 5:45 PM, DragonLord said:

This is great news, especially considering how Gaiden wasn't the most loved by Japanese gamers back then. I just hope the West pulls through, really want to see FE4 and FE5 remade. I've been dying to see a reimagined Battle of Balhalla (no pun intended, I swear it).

I'm pretty sure it'll sell better in the west, considering that 1. The west usually prefers traditional exploration-esque RPG games anyway 2. Nintendo games usually sell better in NA than Europe or JP and 3. Alm is a character the west can probably relate better to than Marth. 

I'm not obviously expecting oversea 1st week sales to be Awakening/Fates tier especially lack of marketing and push which was intended for it to not be a big release anyway I'm predicting seeing 320-350k NoA and 200-250k Europe 1st week at best its gonna be interesting seeing how its gonna be again I'm gonna say decent not best.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

On 3/5/2017 at 1:21 AM, AmericanBuizel said:

What a baby. I honestly think the censorship warriors have less spine than than the translators they merrily accuse of being spineless. "Oh, Echoes is not waifu emblem so it will not sell" Is Echoes a good game? If it is it will rightfully sell, and it is despite being weird, so thank goodness.

Edited by L9999

We "censorship warriors" are the ones that are trying to get a quality product from Nintendo. That's how business' work, they provide the quality product and we go and buy it. If they fuck up on something, we have to call them out and rip them a new one, we can't just be fucking sheep. Besides, unlike the SJWs working at Nintendo, we're the ones that are in support of free speech. 

Reminder that the "localization=censorship" notion is something that only started thanks to Xenoblade X's removal of one miniscule feature, and intensified thanks to the whole Soleil incident. Because, had Soleil not existed and had Fates not released in 2016, this notion wouldn't have existed.

I mean, that notion started during the Nintendo vs Sega console war in the 80s and 90s, but it died eventually. Until Fates brought it back (technically X did but at the time, it was minor).

Edited by Armagon

14 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

We "censorship warriors" are the ones that are trying to get a quality product from Nintendo. That's how business' work, they provide the quality product and we go and buy it. If they fuck up on something, we have to call them out and rip them a new one, we can't just be fucking sheep. Besides, unlike the SJWs working at Nintendo, we're the ones that are in support of free speech. 

...You're so self-serious and ridiculous about this.
All you guys do is hellraise over the tiniest of things and make discussion uncomfortable for most everyone else.
You're just making a fool of yourself. 

Edited by The DanMan

80% sounds like a lot but chances are they limited the overall shipment because of 1) high expectations for digital sales and 2) expectations of lower sales in general for any 3DS game that isn't Pokemon or Monster Hunter.

On 5/7/2017 at 10:56 PM, AmericanBuizel said:

Enough with this nonsense. The truth is that you are a bunch of perverted hentai-loving pedophiles who get upset at the removal of anime panties, bikinis, and tits. Nothing more. You wouldn't know what free speech was if it hit you in the face (hint: it has to do with government, not private companies). 

Edited by bufkus