map sprite insertion help

Sephiran59

Trying to import map sprites from FESS into FE7 and after following Arch's tutorial I managed to get the standing and walking sprites working, but when i move the cursor over the unit it shows some other class's animation (the last unit I moved the cursor over) and I cant figure out why.

Screenshots for more details and any help you can give would be amazing, thanks.

h1.png

h2.png

h3.png

h4.png

Edited by Sephiran59

On 5/3/2017 at 5:39 PM, Agro said:

But the screenshot you posted looks correct?

Exactly, its all there perfect except when i put my cursor on him. I don't understand. Is there a third graphic where the cursor sprite is stored or am i missing a step? This has happened with every map sprite I've tried changing as well, even the unused map sprites in 7 that the Nightmare module says to "(create your own class!)" for.

Oh! It may be that the image of the recruit that you ripped is too small and has the bottom 3 focus stance frames cut off. This would have happened if you didn't correctly set the height settings when ripping the map sprite. If you expand the GBAGE window and increase the tile height, are the focus stance frames actually in the image? If not, then you didn't rip/insert it correctly.

What is probably happening is that there is some missing data that the game loads, and so rather than load the recruit map sprite, it loads whatever image is still in the same location in the RAM, which is the last map sprite loaded

19 minutes ago, Agro said:

If you expand the GBAGE window and increase the tile height, are the focus stance frames actually in the image? If not, then you didn't rip/insert it correctly.

You beautiful human being. I have a feeling you're right on both accounts, I'll update my results as soon as they are recieved.

Edit:

1h.PNG.5a47284a5d9569d1e8c6d834a167b777.PNG

look at that dancing child.

You were right, I didn't realize how large the graphic was when I was ripping it, thanks so much.

Edited by Sephiran59

Another question though, semi related at least:

So I put the battle animation from SS in for this class through FEditor's Animation maker, and works in game only if I have generic palette selected in Nightmare. 

Is there a way for it to be paletted or do I have to change color manually? Just because I want more than 1 of this class and everyone needs a unique palette etc.

Edited by Sephiran59

1 hour ago, Agro said:

Does this topic answer your question?

I understand editing palettes (although that topic is faster and better than what I do, so thanks for that) but what I mean is, I designed an animation in an art software, inserted it with FEditor, and the animation I made doesn't work with any in game palettes and if I try them, the animation looks transparent unless I set the palette to "generic colors" in Nightmare.

Blaze's Ultimate Tutorial even says to pick generic colors for it to work, but there has to be a way for it to work another way, right?

Edit:This is what happens when I use another palette 

Spoiler

h3.PNG.ba1e9bf4ded771adba7747a20b3f29a7.PNG

This is what Blaze said in the tutorial

Spoiler

h2.thumb.PNG.ba9253e89236fdfcef38f9500d11dab0.PNG

Edited by Sephiran59

Ah... this is probably because you need to edit the palette yourself manually. Palettes are arranged in such a way that colour 1 = hair 1, colour 2 = hair 2 and so on but they have to be arranged correctly. Your custom animation doesn't have it's palette set to correspond wih the standard game palettes, which is fine, it just means you have to edit the palette.