Cipher DLC Confirmed for the West

Even though we have quite a few new topics, I figured this should get its own topic.

Today, the North American official website updated with the DLC plans, which includes a mystery 5th pack with 2 pieces of content. Sound familiar?

Actually, the UK/European site has let the cat out of the bag by formally revealing the 5th pack to the be "Cipher Companions Pack". It will allow players to recruit new heroes from the Japanese card game.

DLC Pack #5 – Cipher Companions Pack (Release date to be revealed at a later date, £4.49 / €4.99, two pieces of content): New heroes from Fire Emblem Cipher, the popular Japanese trading card game, will become available for recruitment in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. More information about this final DLC pack will be revealed in the future.

Note that this isn't a confirmation that we're getting the card game. Indeed, NOE is quick to state that it's from the "Japanese trading card game". That said, this could be a good sign. Either way, with the addition of the DLC, it should be a LOT easier for fans to voice their desire for an English/Western release of Cipher.

As for what the DLC actually includes, it's a mystery, but the data-mine points to the 4 Cipher mascots (Emma, Shade, Yuzu and Lando) being playable. I am 99% sure Emma and Shade are playable.

Yeah still strange the NA trailer never hinted while their UK site does but its cool that these demanded cipher characters will finally come overseas I do hope they'll be reoccurring characters.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

This is very interesting.

If they don't give the four unique classes, I can see Emma as a Peg. Knight, Shade as a Mage, Yuzu as a Merc (Which will be interesting since there is no female merc model) and Lando as a Cav.

OMG! Finally!! (Now add them to Heroes IntSys!!)

At least NOA say they are going to bring this DLC, and not "forget about it" like with Fates (I'm still so salty about it)... Can't wait to use them in the game!

Just now, SniperGYS said:

OMG! Finally!! (Now add them to Heroes IntSys!!)

At least NOA say they are going to bring this DLC, and not "forget about it" like with Fates (I'm still so salty about it)... Can't wait to use them in the game!

They'll likely be added later down at this point in heroes I love all their personalities!

Even if Cipher is not itself localized, getting these characters into Echoes DLC is a good stepping stone for using them in future series content in the west (i.e. Heroes, perhaps even Warriors or future games). They may be viewed as Echoes characters here rather than Cipher characters, but it's still an improvement over not knowing them at all.

4 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Note that this isn't a confirmation that we're getting the card game. Indeed, NOE is quick to state that it's from the "Japanese trading card game". That said, this could be a good sign. Either way, with the addition of the DLC, it should be a LOT easier for fans to voice their desire for an English/Western release of Cipher.

Maybe they're waiting until they make cards for all 700-some characters before they translate the card game.

Edited by Power Master
Stupid computer is stupid

53 minutes ago, Power Master said:

Maybe they're waiting until they make cards for all 700-some characters before they translate the card game.

I think the problem with this and the rest of cipher, is that Genealogy & BB are heavily featured in 4/9 sets so far, with Thracia upcoming. Not the mention the west knows only SD and not MotE. They would have to seriously shuffle the sets around to market the card game in the west.

The average fan who is willing to spend money likely wants Fates & Awakening, which is a good chunk of cipher admittedly, but a lot of the rest just isn't known in the west. Certainly not well enough known to market yet another card game in a market that does poorly for card games not called magic or pokemon.

We take it for granted that we as dedicated FE fans know about the characters from 3-6, but the average FE fan that is needed to make the game a success does not.

23 minutes ago, ChibiToastExplosion said:

I think the problem with this and the rest of cipher, is that Genealogy & BB are heavily featured in 4/9 sets so far, with Thracia upcoming. Not the mention the west knows only SD and not MotE. They would have to seriously shuffle the sets around to market the card game in the west.

The average fan who is willing to spend money likely wants Fates & Awakening, which is a good chunk of cipher admittedly, but a lot of the rest just isn't known in the west. Certainly not well enough known to market yet another card game in a market that does poorly for card games not called magic or pokemon.

We take it for granted that we as dedicated FE fans know about the characters from 3-6, but the average FE fan that is needed to make the game a success does not.

Even Heroes is still primarily western-released games, with some japanese releases peppered in. FE6 gets in on the strength of Roy, really. And the japanese ones at least get a decent blurb explaining who they are, what game they're from and enough folow up text/voice clips to get a better sense of who they are.

But, let's put that aside for a second. I mean, the japanese only characters have gotten more visibility between eijhenars, popularity polls, dlc, heroes, etc. and most of the sets pair up with a popular game we'd know about. It's a lot to bring over at this point. There's like what...800...900 cards?That's a pretty big undertaking to produce especially since unless they really pump them out or start merging sets we would be likely years behind. Only way I see Cipher coming here is if they make an online client for it; online card games still have a lot of competition in getting going, but it's probably easier to market, sell and get up to speed quickly. I also imagine it'd be more popular in the west?

Though I also don't think the optimistic "they'll see how the sales of the dlc goes" route is necessarily realistic. At a base line, showing interest in the DLC could just as easily be for "oh, new characters to recruit" or "cool, new maps to play" or maybe even "oh, japanese only characters?" intrigue. The OCs aren't even a big part of Cipher from what I can tell. There's like what...30 cards between the 4 of them across 8 sets? 

Edited by r_n

So do you think they'll have their own unique classes? Like Lando is notably a Sword wielder, with the two swords on his back and stuff, while Yuzu is very clearly a Swordmaster. Shade has quite a different design from other mages, but the Mage design in Echoes varies a lot from character to character. Emma could totally be a peg, though.

4 hours ago, r_n said:

Even Heroes is still primarily western-released games, with some japanese releases peppered in.

Most games, or at least characters, have been released in the west though. There are very few Japan-only Archanea characters, and Binding Blade isn't too bad off when many of its popular characters are present in, mentioned in, or otherwise implied in its prequel. Jugdral is really the only serious obstacle.

18 minutes ago, Iridium said:

Most games, or at least characters, have been released in the west though. There are very few Japan-only Archanea characters, and Binding Blade isn't too bad off when many of its popular characters are present in, mentioned in, or otherwise implied in its prequel. Jugdral is really the only serious obstacle.

That's true, but also, the game launched with primary focus on 1, 6, 7, 13, 14. Only 6 (& Sheena, who is the only FE3-exclusive character iirc) wasn't released outside Japan. They could have easily thrown in a bunch of characters from 2-5 if they really wanted to, but the focus was definitely on the big western/worldiwde releases (Fates & Awakening had like a combined third or more of the total opening heroes roster) and shadow dragon, who is important for being first & Marth than sales.

I more meant it as a back up to  chibi's point of how the tcg release might need to be reshuffled if it was brought here. And underlining that even the JP only characters get a blurb explaining them mroe than what the tcg would get. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

7 hours ago, Roflolxp54 said:

Probably the only really worthwhile DLC content for Echoes.

>Offers star shards to fix growths

>Story focused pack on pre-Alm deliverance

>4th tier classes with unique animations and looks

6 hours ago, LoyalKing32 said:

>Offers star shards to fix growths

>Story focused pack on pre-Alm deliverance

>4th tier classes with unique animations and looks

Much of the DLC is geared towards saving time on grinding. 4th tier classes ultimately don't have much meaning aside from maybe getting extra chances for level ups due to the fact that stat caps are character-based and have nothing to do with classes; the only thing that classes provide are weapon/spell access and movement range.

On 05/03/2017 at 5:09 PM, LoyalKing32 said:

Holy shit did Fire Emblem become mainstream! They're even bringing Cipher over now! Even though it's through Echoes it's a start.

This is the definition of jumping the gun.

Like when people started speculating "Echoes" means they're branding for a series of remakes translation fiasco.

Just now, shadowofchaos said:

This is the definition of jumping the gun.

Like when people started speculating "Echoes" means they're branding for a series of remakes translation fiasco.

Nonetheless,  I hope this is a sign of good things to come I know there are a few ciphers I've been dying to get my hands on.