Your Best/Most Effective Team Comp?

Big Smoke

I was thinking about my current team, two swords, an axe, and a blue mage, and was wondering what the most optimal composition is. Balanced, with one of each color? One of each movement type? Or does it really matter? I want some input. What kind of team do you find the most success with? Note that only hero movement, weapon, and element matter, not the hero itself.

I've always tried to build my arena teams with at least one unit of each color, and at least one mage.  The mage is there to hit the high-defense, low-resistance targets.  The mage is also there to keep the front lines from being to clogged up. In practice, this meant Lucina, Sharena, and Julia. This team was balanced enough that I could slot in any bonus unit and the team would still work. 

I run Anna/Sharena/Eldigan/Julia; Anna and Sharena guarantee that 2/3 arena cycles I will have a bonus unit, and Julia/Eldigan is a complementary duo as Julia beats Blues + non-Red Magic while Eldigan destroys everything else. It's been working for me so I'm pretty averse to changing it up but I wouldn't mind making better teams/units to play either.

My current A team is split between 2 sets, with set A-1 being Ryoma and Nino, and set A-2 being Reinhardt and Minerva. Both uses Olivia, though since A-2 is the set I use to handle cases where the bonus unit is basically dead weight (due to dual reposition and high movement) Olivia takes up a lot more of the fighting on that team. If not considering for arena, I run Ryoma/Reinhardt/Minerva/Olivia or Ryoma/Reinhardt/Nino/Olivia. Both works well for me.

So the breakdown is

- 1 melee unit with high atk and spd, and reasonable physical bulk

- 1 magic unit with enough firepower to be considered a delete button. Bulk would be nice to have but not necessary in either Nino or Reinhardt's case as they have none.

- dancer.

- reasonable color coverage. A-2 has better triangle coverage than A-1 due to Olivia being a red (and mine being a 5* equipped to handle combat if she needs to), but A-1 is fine because Nino's ORKO coverage is insane and can get away with just having red/green.

- Movement assists are nice. Nino runs Ardent Sacrifice for the Desperation set, but otherwise Ryoma has swap and Reinhardt and Minerva has Reposition. 

tl;dr some mix of at least 1 not super squishy melee and a really powerful ranged. At least 1 magical damage source and 1 physical damage source. positioning op.

My most effective team as of now is Virion/Eirika/Michalis/Sharena. The team is basically a saboteur/synergist set that works relatively well in arena and whenever I'm doing the quests. It's still a work in progress, though, as I still haven't completely grasped how some of the buffs and debuffs work.

- Eirika is the main buffer of the team. She is 5* meaning she has her signature weapon that provides Atk+3. She also has Hone Spd 3, Rally Defense and Drag Back for support.

- Sharena is essentially the jack-of-all-trades of the team. She provides support, attacks and serves as a secondary wall. She has Renewal, Spd+3 (which I may change) and Fortify Defense 2.

- Virion is the glass cannon and debuffer. He is fitted with Life and Death, Seal Spd 3 and Threaten Def 2. As expected, he is good at softening up units for the others to pick off, and being a suicide unit for when those annoying mages are around.

- Michalis is the flying tank. He OHKO most after a Threaten Def. As of now, he only has Threaten Def 3 and Iote's Shield, meaning I can use him to draw in archers.

I need a unit with Threaten Atk, to be honest.

Currently a!Tiki, m!Robin, Kagero, and Nino. Been trying to make use of Titania, but sadly she hasn't been as useful as I'd hoped for trivializing the blues that we still struggle with :0 Recently pulled a Camilla as well so I'll be training her up to see if she can do Titania's job any better. (+Def/-HP and ideally she'll run Silver/Emerald Axe, Close Counter, and Quick Riposte lmao) 

People keep saying m!Robin is overrated but honestly being able to wall and kill approximately half the units in the game is just... too good?? He's probably my most important unit TBQH, and between Tiki and Kagero a lot of phsyical and magical threats (respectively) can be handled pretty good on EP. Other M!Robins and Reinhardts continue to be the bane of my existence in situations where I can't get Titania or Nino to lure them out of the way of my other units lol. 

Edited by BANRYU

My current team is Ephraim, Nino and Ryoma. Ephraim has hone spd so he's a great buffer with Seigmund. Nino basically nukes whatever and Ephraim repositions her out of danger. Ryoma takes care of anything that Nino can't aka reds, green mages and those pesky greens with green tome breaker. Sadly arena means I can't run the fourth member of the team, M!Robin. He would nuke the red units and easily take care of Takumi and Kagero. Kagero basically wrecks my all infantry team unless someone can reach her first. Though Ryoma can tank a hit and counter kill if not LD3 Kagero. Then Nino heals him with ardent sacrifice.  

I try some new teams nearly every arena season, but I always end up falling back on the same 3 unit core + bonus unit, the 3 cores being Sanaki, Nino and Linde. Sanaki has Raudhrraven+ and TA, meaning she handles green and gray, Nino handles the blue and Linde the red. I wish I could still have Lukas as a bonus unit in this team. His monstrous defense was extremely useful to take the physical hits my frail mages couldn't handle.

My Best Team at the Moment is 

Lyn with TA 3, Vant 3, Spur Spd 3, Galeforce, and Rep Aid. 

Sharena with Dart Blow 3, QR 2, Fort Def 3 (working on making this Hone Spd 3 for when I run Kagero), Escutcheon, and Rally Atk.

Nino with Res +3 (still waiting for Hintana), Desp 3, Hone Atk 3, Draw Back, and Draconic Aura.

Kagero with Ward Blow 3 (still waiting for Klein), Vant 3, Fort Def 3, Rally Res, and Luna.

Kagero is often replaced with a bonus character, like she was for Anna this Season. I do switch around my team a bit though.

I'm also pretty proud of my planned Xander composition for Xander upcoming arena (which I'll be upgrading him for when I have the feathers which I should have by next arena hopefully there's a voting  gauntlet soon so I should have enough) which will be Xander, Cecelia, Hector, and Effie. I'll be simultaneously be playing Armor and Horse Emblem as I found out that full horse emblem dramatically lowers my scores especially when all of my 5* horses right now are mage/healer horses (Leo, Cecelia, and Elise)! Also running more than two Armors is just not fun.

Edited by Locke087

I have run: Oboro, Takumi, Leo and Linde since long time ago. I have won a lot of fights with them, even in Advance arena. They even got me lot of defense too (last season they got 5 defenses, this is a lot or me). So, they are probably my more optimal team? (even if they aren't that optimal haha)

Now that I have Nino, I want to see if she can be for a switch between Linde and Leo, like taking turns between the 3 and see how it works

My team is either Ryoma, Julia, Ninian, and Reinhardt or Ryoma, Julia, Ephraim, and Hector depending on whether I'm more in the mood for an offensive or defensive playstyle. 

It varies with bonus unit, of course (last week I used Sharena instead of Ephraim, and this week I'm using Ike instead of Ryoma). 

I can't ever seem to make up my mind about the last two units, but Ryoma and Julia are always on my team no matter what (though I may occasionally decide to switch Julia with Nino if I felt like running with Nino). 

Literally anything with Ninian. But my team consists of Marth, Catria, Linde, and Ninian. I'm not super hardcore when it comes to team synergy and Arena, but these guys usually get the job done. Having three Blues sounds pretty bad though. I have a few others that I'm willing to trade out for, but they aren't leveled up or where I want them to be. I usually don't have the bonus heroes, but if I do, it's the crappiest of the bunch so I don't bother.

Marth wrecks Dragons and Greens.

Linde hard counters Takumi, Robin, and Reds in general.

Catria just because I love her.

Ninian because dancer.

My teams usually have 1 range unit, 2 melee and a dancer (swapping one out for a bonus unit as need be). My strategy is to bait and kill the enemy ranged fighters with my own (Jaffar is my go-to guy on my infantry team, Ursula for horses) and then let the enemies fall on my melee characters and let the weapon triangle do the work. Horse Emblem is more offensively based with using a fulling buffed Ursula kill everything and use repositioning skills to keep her alive. The armor team is more defensive, letting Hector do the ranged baiting and the others to buff each other and tank enemies.

In the Arena, Hectors are a common sight so I'm pretty much required to run a hard counter for him every time (Marth is the best for this). Effie and Hector and also extremely valuable against not only reds and blues, respectively, but their own color as well, so Marth/Hector or Effie/Ranged attacker/Dancer or Bonus Unit is pretty versatile.

My arena team core consists of a red mage, green dragon and blue dancer.  Fae can deal with any blue unit while a red mage with swordbreaker can deal with red swords and green units (Hector and green mages).  A blue dancer will provide additional coverage against red units.  The last spot is reserved for the bonus character which is preferably a character that deals physical damage and provides support (Hones, Spurs, repositioning).

Generally, I don't field red sword units as I already run a red mage on my team.  The next red mage that I'm working on at the moment is Lilina.

My best is currently M!Robin, Julia, Reinhardt, and Ryoma. One physical attacker who can hit ranged opponents and three mages, one of which is mounted to hit the opponents before they hit me (+Robin can comfortably tank melee frontliners due to his defense, even if my current one has -Def).

Once I get Quick Riposte on Xander, I plan to have him replace Ryoma so he and Reinhardt can be a duo.

Rein-man, Haxtor, Lobster Lord + bonus hero for Arena. Probably my best all-round team atm. I felt bad about ditching Lucy (since she was my first 5* and all) but Ryo is such a great hard-counter to all those annoying Green mages.

Double Blue set-ups for defensive wins. Those poor Mar-Mars and Lucinas. I'd kill to kill a few more Ikes though.

Tharja/Cordelia/Bunny Camilla/Eirika is my primary core team. Tharja rips greens and lots of other things apart, Eirika buffs up Tharja into more of a monster and can serve as a good blocker and clean up unit, Cordelia deletes most of the game's cast that's not green or tanky blue, and B Camilla does an amazing job baiting and deleting key blue and colorless threats. Eirika is who I drop to make room for the bonus unit in arena, which is a shame for Tharja's buffs, but I can still manage pretty will without.

I think if I can ever get Azura she might be a better use of Eirika's slot since losing 2 buffs would probably be worth it for dance while still being able to emergency check reds, but otherwise I'm really happy with this team's effectiveness.

I've been using Seliph/mRobin/Michalis + Olivia/bonus unit for the past month or so and before that the only diffrence was Narcian instead of Michalis. Seliph gets a bad rap as "the worst sword lord" but I've honestly found him to be great overall, although it helps a lot I think that mine is +spd so he doesn't get doubled quiet as often as most. When skill inheritance first happened I stuck bowbreaker on Robin just for a bit of extra overkill, this has since been replaced with swordbreaker and we are still having a great time. Michalis is just a wonderful tank with wings. Swords? bows? other axes? So long as it isn't a mage Michalis has me covered.

Just since last weekend I'm also experimenting with Soren/Ike/mRobin + Dancer/bonus unit. Because I love Soren and Ike and branching out it fun! Ike is unfortunately -atk so he gets to be basically glued to Soren who I gave rally attack until I can be bothered to stick hone attack on him. Robin is still doing his thing same as ever, although I would kind of like to replace him with someone else just for the sake of variety.

Right now I'm running Ike, Hector, Effie and Julia/Olivia. I made my 4,5k poins in the last run, but I'm not too happy with it. I think I prefer just one armor unit along with Ike; then a mage and definetely I like to have a dancer. Problem with the dancer is BST (it's a 4* Olivia with no merges, who is not even maxed) and that bad positioning/mistakes inevitably causes a death.

A full melee team, especially with movement restrictions (armor)... well, not my stile, even when I have a conservative playstyle (bait and counter). The dancer and Pivot (love it for armor units)/Swap helps a lot.

I've been running Ike, Kagero, Linde, and Ninian and it's been working pretty well for me.  Ike is a hard hitter who can take down any green unit he touches and red units if needed.  Kagero is for taking down infantry, mostly dancers and/or mages, as well as chipping some units away with Savage Blow.  Linde is a super clutch Hero and get destroy tons of units.  Ninian is the dancer for support and attacking low Res enemies if needed.  Not the most balanced or spread out composition, but they've been very effective.

Already mentioned this several times before in other threads, but my main team of Alm/Ninian/Lilina/Ephraim has worked out really well for the past weeks, and also consistently gets me defense wins. Ephraim does the heavy lifting, Ninian provides dance support, Lilina nukes green mages, archers and armors and Alm wrecks Hectors, dragons and other physical red and green units.

Michalis is also a great green substitute when I need one, like this week, where I had to run Zephiel, Ninian, Lilina and Michalis. Ninian performed surprisingly well as the only blue on the team this week. (She's +Atk, which probably helped)

Edited by Korath88

A physical attacker, a magic attacker, 1 ranged, 1 melee, 2 of the 3 colors, 1 character with draw back, and 1 with swap or shove. If you follow that basic guide line, I've found you can win just about any match with pretty much any set of characters, barring a rather unlucky matchup on a bad map with a dancer on the enemy team.

Personally for me, Bunilla/MRobin/Takumi have been able to carry just about any match, with the fourth slot being flexible for bonus units. Spring Camilla has Seal Resist 3, and MRobin has Seal Defense 3, which allows me some flexibility for bulkier units. My defense team has a cheerleader Roy to round out the fourth slot, and seems to win at least one defense match every day.