Sain or Lowen.

John_of_Valentia

I say Lowen, I prefer him in general and if your Sain didn't get much Def I'm a little concerned about his tankiness. Lowen will probably be better in most cases, even if his spd is a little lower than Sain's atm

I've actually had the same problem on my current playthrough. Since your on Normal Mode being it's your first playthrough, I'd go with Lowen, for whatever he lacks in offense should be more compensated for by weak enemies than Sain's low durability.

I've actually kept using both to maximize my team's speed, but Sain has been more of a liability than Lowen with his higher chance of being killed. I'm on Eliwood Hard by the way.

That's...quite similar to how my cavaliers turned out. 

Anyways (do keep in mind, I'm not counting their stats in Res, because they're always low), Lowen usually gets a lot of good level ups for me and his stats are pretty high and even too, with his Strength and Defense at about 18, and his Speed at 22. According to the Wiki, he's more defense focused, so you can use him as a wall. Ironically his luck growth is the highest, yet it's the lowest numbered stat of his in my playthrough 

Sain is also not too bad, but he never turned out as good as Lowen, with the exception that he has more Strength at 21. His other stats although are more closer to each other though, with Speed one point higher than the rest.

So, in the end, I'd say Lowen is the better choice. Although you could still keep using both. They're usable, especially Lowen with his defense (and thus, another part of the wall along with Hector and Oswin).

If you're not using Kent, I'd use Lowen. Sain supports well with Kent, but if Kent got the short end of the RNG stick, then Lowen complements Sain's lack of defense well, though the two don't share a support.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Sain's growths, but he's definitely serviceable. Lowen's bulkier but slower.

Edited by Xanaxian

Yeah, if both are doing well, I'd just keep them. Paladins are an amazing class anyway - high movement and complete control over the weapon triangle. Class diversity is nice and dandy, but the paladins in FE7 tend to just outclass several other classes.

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

What are their stats? Because without them, I can't make an informed decision.

Here's my Lowen. Gave him an Energy Ring to patch his low strength. Otherwise all natural.  Benched Sain too. It's a shame. I love the Abels of FE.

1235 - Fire Emblem (U)(Venom)_1493943621307.png

For his averages, he is about where he should be. Remove the Energy Ring and he'd be about 2 points below his Str average. He'll be usable.

Marcus can last for a fairly long time as a backup if you're not opposed to using him. Isadora is frail and lacks the Con to use anything remotely heavy, but if she stays on her averages, she might be usable too.

• 3 weeks later...

Use who you like to use. 

Sain has advantages over Lowen and vise versa. It all depends on how the situation is.

If you're looking for someone to defend Merlinus, Lowen is best at that. If you're looking for someone to rip off anyone else, Sain's your man.

• 3 weeks later...

All the cavaliers in FE7 are potentially great, but can potentially get RNG screwed. 

I'll generally try to use them all at some point in the early game, promote + keep using whichever one(s) get good growths, and bench whichever one(s) don't.  (i.e. Lowen gets benched if he doesn't get enough strength growth to actually hurt things, which he sometimes won't. Sain gets benched if the goes on a streak of only consistently leveling strength, and starts to fall behind in other vital stats. Which he sometimes will.) 

Edited by Shoblongoo