Why is the DLC getting so much hate?

6 minutes ago, ckc22 said:

At least with Awakening it felt like the DLC was expanding the game - there are challenges there far greater than what you can get in game. Fates never even got a 5* much less an "insane" like Apo. 

Only season 2.

Season 1 was with reused maps and spotpass characters. Fates had varied maps and objectives that appealed to different people depending on the route.

Each had their detriments.

Both amounted to $80 for Japanese players. Awakening had less hours, but more challenge with Apo. Awakening had more inflated hours with grinding.

Fates had Conquest (of we're arguing separate paths are DLC) Which is by far, better designed in maps and creativity than any of Awakening's DLC. Birthright being the "base" game, having difficulty and map design of a slightly improved Awakening and UI.

Edited by shadowofchaos

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, ckc22 said:

At least with Awakening it felt like the DLC was expanding the game - there are challenges there far greater than what you can get in game. Fates never even got a 5* much less an "insane" like Apo. 

It also didn't help that fates' dlc just copied awakening's one for one, but didn't include the doc people enjoyed most. Now echoes is copying the same dlc again, but now you have to pay more up front, and you can't just choose the dlc you want.

31 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I'm really thinking twice about getting Echoes in light of this.

Ok, while this DLC is shit and all (most of it, Cipher Characters are cool), i do feel that not buying the game just because the DLC is overpriced is just unfair. Cuz like, in Echoes' case, the base game is still complete. When you take a good look at the DLC, none of it is stuff that would actually fit in the base game (fit as in, game-wise, not capacity-wise) Even the Deliverence Prolouge maps wouldn't fit in the game, considering the story follows Alm and Celica exclusivley. Plus, the Delivernece Prolouge just expands on what we learn about them from the base game.

For as bad as this DLC, it's not EA-levels of shit. If it was, we would be seeing parts of Valentia, as well as characters who appeared in the original Gaiden, removed and placed behind a paywall.

Now, if you weren't planning on getting the game in the first place, then ¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯. But if you were, for as much as i agree this DLC practice is shit, i would still say to give the game itself a chance.

Just my two cents. It's still your choice at the end of the day.

Haha.. I suppose there are reasons to why Nintendo does what they does... but the price is way too much.... They need to decrease it by like 50% or something just for it to be affordable....

Now I would love if they made another DLC similar to Apothesis.. but that's not likely

I suppose this is why Pokémon games only do Downloads/visit locations for codes in order to get new pokes, instead of buying DLC

1 hour ago, dragonlordsd said:

Now echoes is copying the same dlc again, but now you have to pay more up front, and you can't just choose the dlc you want.

Um, what? Yes you can. The Season Pass is just there if you want all of it. If you only want just the Deliverence maps, for example, then you're only paying for the Deliverence maps.

Is it me, or are people forgetting that you can buy just the parts of the DLC you want?

People are literally going full potato right now. I get it, the DLC is a bit much and overkill, but you don't have to buy it? Until there is some sort of evidence that this DLC was ripped from the base game (like some Destiny shenanigans where all 4 DLC expansions were on the full vanilla game), you can have your opinions but at the end of the day. its optional content, I really love it, especially the Yaksha. I think the Dread fighter skin looks pretty meh, being able to change that into something cooler is 100% what i'll spend my money on. Starshards are also a neat feature and i will buy that to help save my sanity for rng growths. DLC that helps grind faster for second and third playthroughs? easier grinds for rare weapons etc? like all of this is a non-issue. it takes a lot of the more annoying parts away from the game for a price. Yeah it cheapens the experience, but i'll only use select DLCs for my first playthrough. but if i want to cruise along on my second playthrough with dlc help i will? simple as that, its a single player game, however you want to play it is up to you.

30 minutes ago, Tsak said:

People are literally going full potato right now. I get it, the DLC is a bit much and overkill, but you don't have to buy it? Until there is some sort of evidence that this DLC was ripped from the base game (like some Destiny shenanigans where all 4 DLC expansions were on the full vanilla game), you can have your opinions but at the end of the day. its optional content, I really love it, especially the Yaksha. I think the Dread fighter skin looks pretty meh, being able to change that into something cooler is 100% what i'll spend my money on. Starshards are also a neat feature and i will buy that to help save my sanity for rng growths. DLC that helps grind faster for second and third playthroughs? easier grinds for rare weapons etc? like all of this is a non-issue. it takes a lot of the more annoying parts away from the game for a price. Yeah it cheapens the experience, but i'll only use select DLCs for my first playthrough. but if i want to cruise along on my second playthrough with dlc help i will? simple as that, its a single player game, however you want to play it is up to you.

Fully agree with Tsak here. People are losing their minds over something that really isnt as bad as its made out to be. This isnt Destiny releasing a barebones game and shoveling out DLC that collectively is more than 4x the games original cost, this isnt Battlefront releasing the game with maybe 5 maps in total, only to release 3x that later through DLC. This is just a bit overpriced for what it is. It missed the mark on what made Awakening/Fates DLC worth it, but it isnt the end of the world.

If you think this is bad though, the Reddit is almost in flames. There are some people saying we should boycott Echoes over all this. The hatred for this DLC is pretty bad over there. Its honestly quite hilarious to see them complain over it so much. Its like they have been living under a rock over the past 4 years. There are some saying this is one of the worst DLC practices of all time, almost like they had no idea Battlefront and Destiny hold that title.

9 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

Fully agree with Tsak here. People are losing their minds over something that really isnt as bad as its made out to be. This isnt Destiny releasing a barebones game and shoveling out DLC that collectively is more than 4x the games original cost, this isnt Battlefront releasing the game with maybe 5 maps in total, only to release 3x that later through DLC. This is just a bit overpriced for what it is. It missed the mark on what made Awakening/Fates DLC worth it, but it isnt the end of the world.

If you think this is bad though, the Reddit is almost in flames. There are some people saying we should boycott Echoes over all this. The hatred for this DLC is pretty bad over there. Its honestly quite hilarious to see them complain over it so much. Its like they have been living under a rock over the past 4 years. There are some saying this is one of the worst DLC practices of all time, almost like they had no idea Battlefront and Destiny hold that title.

They just don't want that the.things become worse and IS actually publish half-asset games. 

well yeah, even the guy in that video called it the "worst dlc practices I've seen in a long time"

i have to wonder how much a long time is or if you've even been paying attention, because there is far worse than this quite often unfortunately

Edited by Tryhard

2 minutes ago, Troykv said:

They just don't want that the.things become worse and IS actually publish half-asset games. 

I can understand that, but Reddit is bringing this to the next level. Just last week they were praising Echoes, super hyped for it, all praise Nintendo type ordeal. Then the DLC stuff happened, and all of a sudden its Nintendo is horrible, down with evil capitalism, burn all the copies of Echoes. There is a video saying that it is, and I quote "One of the worst DLC practices I have seen in a long time". Has this guy been living under a rock for the past 10 years? If he thinks this is bad he would have an aneurysm over what Destiny did.

Of course this is a little over exaggerated, but any thread with the word "dlc" in it is pretty much one big reddit circle jerk over anti DLC. I am pretty sure the outrage attracted the typical r/gaming people over to join in as well.

Ehhh... it's scummy as fuck and I'm 100% not surprised that people who were on the fence about the game are leaning towards the 'no' category now.

Nintendo should have been smart enough to either keep their mouth shut until after the game came out or realized what a marketing liability coming out with a season pass that costs more than the game is before launch. These are not difficult things to understand.

I am of course completely unsurprised that people here will defend it though. 

Edited by ckc22

17 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

well yeah, even the guy in that video called it the "worst dlc practices I've seen in a long time"

i have to wonder how much a long time is or if you've even been paying attention, because there is far worse than this quite often unfortunately

haha seriously... ive come to accept the days that the expansion that came out 1-2 years later with a ton of content for $30 has long been gone (like Yuri's Revenge for RA2 way back in the day) but its just common practice at this point. im not saying we should accept it with open arms, but also we need to realize that buying or not buying it is stating whether or not you're ok with it. From what i can see the DLC here isn't straight up content ripped from the game, its superfluous stuff that you don't need. But heck if i find out this was supposed to be in the original and they wanted to jip me out of it then i'll be much more wary of my next purchases. simple as that

4 minutes ago, ckc22 said:

Ehhh... it's scummy as fuck and I'm 100% not surprised that people who were on the fence about the game are leaning towards the 'no' category now.

Nintendo should have been smart enough to either keep their mouth shut until after the game came out or realized what a marketing liability coming out with a season pass that costs more than the game is before launch. These are not difficult things to understand.

Dude whatever you believe isn't worth it, go state your opinion with your money. Simple as that. But to say the base game isn't worth it over DLC is pretty friggin stupid. It's not like the DLC kills the rest of the game or makes it unplayable. 3DS games are cheaper anyways so the season pass costing more isn't that surprising, considering DLC for the 3DS FE titles in the past this is really not anything new...

Just now, Tsak said:

Dude whatever you believe isn't worth it, go state your opinion with your money. Simple as that. But to say the base game isn't worth it over DLC is pretty friggin stupid. It's not like the DLC kills the rest of the game or makes it unplayable. 3DS games are cheaper anyways so the season pass costing more isn't that surprising, considering DLC for the 3DS FE titles in the past this is really not anything new...

I'm stating my opinion just like you are. Only I didn't put words in your mouth or call you stupid... so maybe check yourself. 

27 minutes ago, ckc22 said:

Much more people are complaining about it. And the ones "defending" it, which most of them aren't actually doing, just want y'all to keep your hyperbole in check.

1 minute ago, Tryhard said:

Much more people are complaining about it. And the ones "defending" it, which most of them aren't actually doing, just want y'all to keep your hyperbole in check.

So everyone who disagrees with you is prone to dramatic exaggeration? Convenient. 

36 minutes ago, Tolvir said:

I can understand that, but Reddit is bringing this to the next level. Just last week they were praising Echoes, super hyped for it, all praise Nintendo type ordeal. Then the DLC stuff happened, and all of a sudden its Nintendo is horrible, down with evil capitalism, burn all the copies of Echoes. There is a video saying that it is, and I quote "One of the worst DLC practices I have seen in a long time". Has this guy been living under a rock for the past 10 years? If he thinks this is bad he would have an aneurysm over what Destiny did.

Of course this is a little over exaggerated, but any thread with the word "dlc" in it is pretty much one big reddit circle jerk over anti DLC. I am pretty sure the outrage attracted the typical r/gaming people over to join in as well.

That is evidently an exaggeration (but personally I have forgotten how much time had lapsed since Destiny and Battlefront); but this still an abusive business model (at least I can apologize the game actually feels complete unlike the half-asset games I mentioned).

you seem to be prone to logic leaps if nothing else

since, y'know, I didn't say anything about having a problem with people disliking the dlc.

4 minutes ago, ckc22 said:

So everyone who disagrees with you is prone to dramatic exaggeration? Convenient. 

I seem to recall you having the same attitude when you were salty about people saying Fates skill system was more fun for min-maxing.

What ever happened to leaving the forum?

Regardless, you seem to be ignoring the fact that Awakening had the same or less amount of actual new content compared to this season pass and cost $80 as well before the bundles.

He has a point: People who are "defending" Echoes season pass have valid points and you seem to be dramaticizing yourself as unique and intelligent for being above the crowd of defenders who don't actually exist.

Edited by shadowofchaos

4 minutes ago, shadowofchaos said:

I seem to recall you having the same attitude when you were salty about people saying Fates skill system was more fun for min-maxing.

What ever happened to leaving the forum?

Regardless, you seem to be ignoring the fact that Awakening had the same or less amount of actual new content compared to this season pass and cost $80 as well before the bundles.

He has a point: People who are "defending" Echoes season pass have valid points and you seem to be dramaticizing yourself as unique and intelligent for being above the crowd of defenders.

I don't even know what you're talking about to be honest. But you're stalkery tendency to bring up something unrelated from at least a year ago is questionable at best. 

I don't seem to be ignoring anything. i already commented on why Awakening was a different situation. 

You seem to be prone to reading a lot into other peoples posts that aren't there. Maybe get over your delusions of persecution. 

Edited by ckc22

7 minutes ago, ckc22 said:

I don't seem to be ignoring anything. i already commented on why Awakening was a different situation. 

You seem to be prone to reading a lot into other peoples posts that aren't there. Maybe get over your delusions of persecution. 

Same maps 3 times in a row x 3 dlc packs with said concept with spotpass characters for skills encompassing at least $40 of all DLC content is better than this season pass?

($30 for Season 1 DLC tax included if you bought the packs)

Edited by shadowofchaos

1 hour ago, Tolvir said:

If you think this is bad though, the Reddit is almost in flames. There are some people saying we should boycott Echoes over all this. 

That's not ever going to work. People also said they would boycott Fates and Xenoblade X (for different reasons). Both games managed to sell well (for Fates anyway, idk about X but i imagine it sold decently and Xenoblade is a smaller franchise than Fire Emblem).

33 minutes ago, Tsak said:

But to say the base game isn't worth it over DLC is pretty friggin stupid. It's not like the DLC kills the rest of the game or makes it unplayable. 

Agreed. The game itself is already complete anyway. And if you don't buy DLC, you're not missing out on anything really, except maybe the Cipher characters, but that's a collaberation thing.

I personally don't want to get involved in this too much, just get the dlc if you want, don't if you don't. It won't make or break the game. Yes the dlc may cost more then the entire base game, but the past 3ds titles did it and they sold well, not to mention most of the time the dlc wasn't garbage *with exceptions of course* with minor flaws. I plan on getting all the dlc because I'll enjoy it, and for me it adds to the completional value.

35 minutes ago, ckc22 said:

I'm stating my opinion just like you are. Only I didn't put words in your mouth or call you stupid... so maybe check yourself. 

Didn't call you stupid, i said saying x isn't worth it because of y is stupid. But you know reading comprehension?
Also what words am i putting into your mouth?

Just now, Tsak said:

Didn't call you stupid, i said saying x isn't worth it because of y is stupid. But you know reading comprehension?
Also what words am i putting into your mouth?

You quoted me and then said "but to say the game isn't worth it because of the dlc is stupid." I never said anything about the game not being worth it. 

But you know... reading comprehension?