Why is the DLC getting so much hate?

25 minutes ago, Baldrick said:

I feel the overclasses will be more scummy if they aren't just cosmetic. In that case, you could simply ignore them and have virtually the same experience. But if they do increase your caps or something similar, you're paying $15 for what Awakening charged $3 for.

I understand that point of view, but I feel it is worse trying to sell costumes for such an outrageous price because they add nothing to the game. If they have a unique feature at least it gives an excuse to try and get them apart from pretty looks and cool animations. As long as they aren't necessary to beat the game they would be cool in my book.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's getting hate because it sucks. Total all the content together and it doesn't even amount to quarter of the base game (compare the base game with its around 40 maps and 5-6 dungeons and full length story, cinematics, characters, supports, skills, weapons, magic, classes, etc to the dlc that had around 10 maps, some of which are reused from the game and only 4 of which have any plot, a couple of dungeons, a couple of supports, 10 new classes, a couple of new weapons, no new skills or magic, no new characters aside from making one enemy playable and no cinematics) yet it costs more than the game.

IS really needs to fire whoever is in charge of the DLC direction. None of the DLC for any of the games, outside of the DLC that actually expanded the story of FE:A, was very good or substantial. And that amounted to a fraction of Awakening's DLC, had no real impact on the main game, and added to a story that wasn't very good to begin with.

Challenge maps are nice, too, but it was really hard for me to care, since, again, they didn't really tie back to the main game and the rewards weren't very good.

FE games, I think, would benefit from the inclusion of more paralogues, giving you the ability to recruit more characters who aren't just one-support wonders like Gangrel/Emmeryn/Walhart/Priam/Etc. DLC that adds classes and such are nice, but I really don't think the effort put into those maps are worth the price they ask for, since I'm guessing most of those maps and classes took a few days to make, tops.

Edited by Slumber

Eh. The pool of games I'm interested in isn't very big, so I wouldn't have anything else to buy with that money anyways.

I bought awakening and fates DLC despite not enjoying those games very much, so it wouldn't make much sense to not buy DLC for a game I'm probably going to enjoy more.

Maybe my sense of pricing is skewed, but $50 doesn't seem that much to me, especially when you have people willing to drop thousands on a mobile game.

I just want to point out one thing: the game is NOT incomplete without DLC in this case. I played it and it was a full experience, it didn't feel incomplete at all. I agree that DLC is very expensive, but it's just bonus stuff that you don't actually need.

Claiming they're selling us an incomplete game is a lie.

2 hours ago, Korath88 said:

Eh. The pool of games I'm interested in isn't very big, so I wouldn't have anything else to buy with that money anyways.

I bought awakening and fates DLC despite not enjoying those games very much, so it wouldn't make much sense to not buy DLC for a game I'm probably going to enjoy more.

Maybe my sense of pricing is skewed, but $50 doesn't seem that much to me, especially when you have people willing to drop thousands on a mobile game.

Because that's a different market entirely especially for Gacha players that mostly play mobile games and people can use $50 for a great Switch game like MK8 Deluxe or Zelda BotW if they haven't plus not everyone is rich to easily give $50 like that everyone is different when handling their own money.

The price is the main complaint. The stuff is mostly fully voiced, correct? Then we're basically paying for the extra voice work. The extra classes look very nice, though. The good thing about this is that it's optional and it doesn't really make an impact on the main story. 

@Blade Lord Lyn: I'd disagree completely on BotW but that's just my opinion. 

To sum up my thoughts as best I can and as clearly I can. People are gettin tired of DLC that doesn't feel worth it to them. It's been a long practice and while Nintendo has in the past handled DLC well(Same with Intelligent Systems), this honestly doesn't feel like it's worth it to a lot of people. While I personally don't mind it as I've seen worse(Far worse, hello EA, Capcom, and Konami), it's still a bit pricey for some and the timing of it all is rather suspicious.

Fire emblem's dlc practices have always been kind of bad. Up until now, though, it's been possible to mostly ignore the bad parts in favor of the good parts, but the situation is getting worse.

im glad this is getting hate, as maybe it could force a change, but who knows.

Makes you wonder why Jim Sterling hasn't picked up on this yet. As usually, this is the kind of thing you'd hear from him about...

But yeah, I too think it ridiculous for reasons that have already been stated. Granted, I do not know much about the DLC as of right now, as I am trying to not spoil myself so much this time around, but it still comes off as a scummy method of nabbing your wallet. I'm really thinking twice about getting Echoes in light of this.

My tolerance for things like this is honestly fading fast after the underwhelming experience Fates provided DLC-wise.

EDIT: I just watched the video kindly provided by @Thane and I have only one thing to say: Wow, Nintendo. Just... just wow. Not just overpricing that shit but straight up lying about it? Yeah, no. I will spend my money elsewhere this time.

Edited by DragonFlames

It seems way overpriced and like it doesn't add much to the game. But I guess after they got used to getting paid like 80$ for a game like Fates this was bound to happen. 

I still don't get why is there a grinding DLC. OG Gaiden was already a grindfest and it could be cleared without it anyways.

6 minutes ago, ckc22 said:

It seems way overpriced and like it doesn't add much to the game. But I guess after they got used to getting paid like 80$ for a game like Fates this was bound to happen. 

Fates was (somewhat) forgiveable because they were actually different games with completely different play styles. So, even though it was a little scummy, you could still ignore it.

This, on the other hand..... No.

2 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Fates was (somewhat) forgiveable because they were actually different games with completely different play styles. So, even though it was a little scummy, you could still ignore it.

I'm just saying, Fates may have... "three different games" (personally I'd argue that it's more akin to building like 60% of a game 3 times considering the level of overlap on resources, units, maps, music, characters, systems etc. But the key fact is that they got to charge 80$ for it. 

So they build this game and they want to get 80$ for it but there's not really a way to do so without being scummy. 

Just now, ckc22 said:

I'm just saying, Fates may have... "three different games" (personally I'd argue that it's more akin to building like 60% of a game 3 times considering the level of overlap on resources, units, maps, music, characters, systems etc. But the key fact is that they got to charge 80$ for it. 

So they build this game and they want to get 80$ for it but there's not really a way to do so without being scummy. 

Agreed. There were unique maps in each of the game, but more were identical. So"60% of a game" is pretty much on the mark.

With this, though, they don't have anywhere close to 60%

3 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Let's be honest here. The harsh truth is that Fates shouldn't get a pass either. Shin Megami Tensei IV had different paths too and they weren't seperated into three different games, either. I bought into it because I wanted the full experience and to be honest, I think myself a fool for doing so. Stuff like this should never get a pass under any circumstance, especially not if they have clearly shown that it is possible to put all three paths on the same cartridge (see Special Edition for evidence).

And even back when I bought all three paths of Fates because Nintendo did a Nintendo and understocked the Special Edition on purpose, the little worms, I knew exactly that in the future, this is the kind of crap we would be dealing with.

Sorry if I am venting a bit. This isn't anything against anyone personally, 'cept for those sleazeballs at Big N, of course.

Just quoting my other post in another thread.

For people who say "Awakening DLC pricing was better". For the Japanese and me? No. No it was not.

19 hours ago, shadowofchaos said:

While I'm not arguing DLC is great: I'm putting Awakening into perspective:

The Japanese never got packs.

As in I had to pay for twice the game over.

Since they were working on content as it was released.

You were also REQUIRED to purchase the first two maps to buy any further DLC for the first set of 3 dlc.

...and I had to do this for 2 3ds handheld because capture card.

So while I agree with DLC needing to be better, I don't think any of you were aware how lucky you were with Awakening DLC.

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Let's be honest here. The harsh truth is that Fates shouldn't get a pass either. Shin Megami Tensei IV had different paths too and they weren't seperated into three different games, either. I bought into it because I wanted the full experience and to be honest, I think myself a fool for doing so. Stuff like this should never get a pass under any circumstance, especially not if they have clearly shown that it is possible to put all three paths on the same cartridge (see Special Edition for evidence).

And even back when I bought all three paths of Fates because Nintendo did a Nintendo and understocked the Special Edition on purpose, the little worms, I knew exactly that in the future, this is the kind of crap we would be dealing with.

Sorry if I am venting a bit. This isn't anything against anyone personally, 'cept for those sleazeballs at Big N, of course.

Hey, I think you're entitled to vent.

Again, the reason I gave fates a pass was that there are serious differences on a mechanical level. It's not like a different route in smt iv would give you a completely different fusion system, or would change how the battle system functions.

But Fates was pushing it. I think we've definitely hit the point where Nintendo has crossed the line.

Anyway you slice it gaming companies really need to step up their PR game tbh. Anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together can see the headlines that are going to pop up when your dlc costs = or > your base game. It's bad press waiting to happen - for a game that already has a spotty reputation and is being released on a console in its twilight days - it just doesn't add up to smart. 

I imagine for people on the fence seeing headlines about this only pushes them onto the "ehhh I'll wait/never mind" side. 

Edited by ckc22

24 minutes ago, ckc22 said:

It started with Awakening. Not Fates.

1 minute ago, shadowofchaos said:

It started with Awakening. Not Fates.

At least with Awakening it felt like the DLC was expanding the game - there are challenges there far greater than what you can get in game. Fates never even got a 5* much less an "insane" like Apo.