Why is the DLC getting so much hate?

Yes, but the price of the Japanese dlc for Awakening only affected a very small percentage of people here. The fact is that this dlc is coming out all within a month of its release and add in the fact that it costs more than the base game is what's bothering people.

I also have to pay a 9.5% sales tax because of my state, meaning that the price for the dlc far exceeds the game at almost $50.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, ckc22 said:

Ehhh... it's scummy as fuck and I'm 100% not surprised that people who were on the fence about the game are leaning towards the 'no' category now.

Sorry you didn't say specifically it wasn't worth it, but implied random people who you may or may not know seem to be on the fence and are now saying its not worth it based off dlc. Point still stands, its a stupid thing. regardless if you specifically are one of those people or its a friend or reddit user whatever. etc

inb4 IS releases DLC that would allow you to get the other unit you didn't pick while with Celica's party (Deen if you picked Sonia; Sonia if you picked Deen).

6 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

inb4 IS releases DLC that would allow you to get the other unit you didn't pick while with Celica's party (Deen if you picked Sonia; Sonia if you picked Deen).

That would actually be some bullshit. And i would be the first to call them out on it. Until then, man does that Yaksha class look dope. Can't wait to promote my full friggin merc team into that
EDIT:
Also how come no one mentions Awakening DLC straight up making the game easier? Like i can't even see some of this dlc making a huge impact on the game compared to literally Lunatic cheese that awakening had. grinding DLC chapters so your units come out hilariously ready for lunatic+. Just have to make it to the Gate

Edited by Tsak
awakening reasons

15 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

That would be shit, and it would also mess with the story. Inb4 it's explained via Outrealms.

...holy shit, i just realized this is the first game in the modern FE era to not feature the Outrealms in any form.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

That's not ever going to work. People also said they would boycott Fates and Xenoblade X (for different reasons). Both games managed to sell well (for Fates anyway, idk about X but i imagine it sold decently and Xenoblade is a smaller franchise than Fire Emblem).

Agreed. The game itself is already complete anyway. And if you don't buy DLC, you're not missing out on anything really, except maybe the Cipher characters, but that's a collaberation thing.

Oh yeah, I know it wont work. Boycotts tend to rarely work unless there is a very good reason for it to begin with. Then you will see a widespread boycott that will make a difference. But trying to boycott over some overpriced DLC? That isnt going to work.

1 hour ago, Troykv said:

That is evidently an exaggeration (but personally I have forgotten how much time had lapsed since Destiny and Battlefront); but this still an abusive business model (at least I can apologize the game actually feels complete unlike the half-asset games I mentioned).

Sure, it isnt the best business practice out there. I am not exactly cheering for this DLC either. I think it is definitely overpriced, and I think they have missed the mark a bit with this DLC when compared to Fates/Awakening. But I think acting like this is the worst, or thinking that this was cut content from the game is either over exaggerating or ignorance towards how actual game development works. I still plan on buying some of it, as I still think some of it sounds fun. I wont buy the season pass though, since I have no interest in all the DLC anyway.

Edited by Tolvir

1 hour ago, Captain Karnage said:

Yes, but the price of the Japanese dlc for Awakening only affected a very small percentage of people here. The fact is that this dlc is coming out all within a month of its release and add in the fact that it costs more than the base game is what's bothering people.

I also have to pay a 9.5% sales tax because of my state, meaning that the price for the dlc far exceeds the game at almost $50.

I gave the price of the map packs as $30 with the tax included for the 3 maps reused 3 times dlc. That's in the US.

I find it funny that a game that's trying to be as old school as possible; the main thing they takes from the newer games is the thing that makes people pay more money.

1 grinding set is enough (this includes items and gold), 2 is pushing it. Having an over-class in general is rather pointless considering their isn't any Apotheosis or Online PvP; if it's for Chapter 6, then that just highlights a bigger problem. Even the story DLC ; it's basically a playable version of some of the base conversations if my memory is correct, so it's not telling us anything we didn't already know.

It comes down to having to pay a lot for very little content.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2017 at 7:32 PM, Florete said:

You sure about that? Some of it is pretty simple and is being released really quickly. I know not all day-one DLC is "cut from the game" necessarily, but this looks really sketchy.

For an even lower price, Fates offered two more full campaigns. I got all the DLC for Awakening and Fates, but I'll probably skip this time. I feel like they're pushing too far this time and I don't want to tell them that this is okay.

I have to contest this

fates's "two more full campaigns" are actual, legit examples of cut content they shoved out for a paywall. The Special Edition version which has all three but neither of the map packs proves this, and they aren't legitiment DLC like the map packs are. They're base game content that you're paying extra for- which I wouldn't mind as much if they made the all in 1 cartridge available normally, and gave you the option to buy the game partially if you chose, but they force you to buy a third of the game and fork over eShop credit unless you got one of the 3 copies of the special edition. The paths aren't true DLC, they're on disc paywall.

Thats not to say the map packs aren't true DLC, which they are, but Fates pulled something a lot scummier than Echoes at the end of the day because at the very least the dataminers haven't found any of the overclasses etc. on the cartridges of Echoes.

Factoring in 3D dungeons and voice acting this is actually a hell of a lot cheaper than Awakening's DLC (which was SIXTY fucking dollars, and even more expensive in canada after it got a price hike in 2016 for that region) and only marginally more expensive than Fates map pack 1+2, for about the same amount of content as the Fates map packs.

i think the reason this is getting so blown out of proportion and people are conveniently forgetting the price tag of the last two DLCs is because Nintendo had to be braindead enough to call it a season pass- it's not. I repeat, it's only as much a season pass as the map packs and Awakening bundles were, because it works in literally the EXACT same manner as the map packs- it's a season pass in name only, and that's a very very bad and stupid marketing decision to change the name like that.

I am neither defending nor criticizing this DLC; I'm just really tired of people acting like this is so much worse than Awakening and Fates when, accounting for 3D dungeons and Voiceovers, it's just about the same shit for the same price. Buying this game and all it's DLC comes out to about the same price as Awakening and all of its DLC, and the same price as the fucking BASE GAME (all three paths, which were paywall content) of Fates; DLC (Map Packs, true DLC) on top of Fates brought the total to about $120.

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

6 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

I have to contest this

fates's "two more full campaigns" are actual, legit examples of cut content they shoved out for a paywall.

Yeah, no.

I'll admit one thing: the marketing was awkward. But Fates is essentially three games, not one. Just because they were all released together doesn't mean they should all be sold for the price of one (though they were all sold for the price of two).

7 hours ago, Florete said:

Yeah, no.

I'll admit one thing: the marketing was awkward. But Fates is essentially three games, not one. Just because they were all released together doesn't mean they should all be sold for the price of one (though they were all sold for the price of two).

Fates is treated as a single game by literally everything, Heroes, Cipher, etc. the paths weren't true DLC, they were disc locked. That you can't argue against because the special edition version proves this to be the case. They weren't released separately, they were all on the carts locked by a paywall. You're literally downloading an unlock for the two paths. I wouldn't even mind if the game was a flat $80 for the cart, the splitting it up through paywalls was hamfisted and awkward.

One word. Pokemon.

If Pokemon released a Special edition that had all versions of that generation on one cartridge would you feel the same way?

That said making the combo cart special edition only was a dick move in my book. Doubly so when you take into account that Nintendo is so poor at Special Edition releases.

Do the grinding maps have any different conversations of anything, like with the exp grinding and gold grinding in Awakening/Fates?

I'm debating getting the season pass, but only if they actually have something to them apart from grinding. If not, I'll pick and choose which DLC I get. 

6 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

Fates is treated as a single game by literally everything, Heroes, Cipher, etc. the paths weren't true DLC, they were disc locked. That you can't argue against because the special edition version proves this to be the case. They weren't released separately, they were all on the carts locked by a paywall. You're literally downloading an unlock for the two paths. I wouldn't even mind if the game was a flat $80 for the cart, the splitting it up through paywalls was hamfisted and awkward.

I don't agree with everything you've said, but I think we've lost focus here. If your issue is that it was "hamfisted and awkward" but you're otherwise okay with it, I have nothing else to say.

Edited by Florete

5 hours ago, Florete said:

I don't agree with everything you've said, but I think we've lost focus here. If your issue is that it was "hamfisted and awkward" but you're otherwise okay with it, I have nothing else to say.

I'm okay with the concept, yes, but I disagree that it was a better buisiness practice than Echoes because all three paths are literally on the carts. You're simply paying for an unlock on Conquest or Birthright carts, whereas the Map Packs are actual DLC that is downloaded as fresh content.

Thats why for the purposes of DLC discussion the three paths should be treated as base game (particularly on account of the special edition cartridge) while the Map Packs are actually genuine DLC. There's also the fact that in a few territories (including South Korea) they don't sell Fates in versions; the only option is a single cartridge with all three paths. So it's pretty clear to me that FUNCTIONALLY the paths aren't true DLC like the additional map packs in Awakening, Fates, and Echoes. That's why when we're talking about bad DLC I find it slightly hypocritical to give on-disc DLC (the infamous big one that companies like EA get shit on for) a pass while shitting on something that we've literally had for the past few games with no issues, even with Awakening's monstrously expensive (but worth every penny) DLC.

i have no huge problem with the Fates setup, aside from the lack of availability for the special edition which is another topic, but I have issue with a perceived double standard im observing.

Comparing all of the map packs, Fates's are the cheapest at about $25-$30, Echoes is slightly more expensive at $45, and Awakening's is literally about $60-$65.

Tl;dr the Echoes season pass is just par for the course we've had and that's what people need to realize I think

@Cute Chao the Undaunted Heroes pack lets you assemble the starsphere if you collect all the star shards, which you can give to a unit to increase their growth rates by iirc 30% across the board. Fledgling Warriors gives you absolutely nothing. So yes, Undaunted Heroes does give you something of worth. So it's more like Infinite Regalia and how they gave you Eldigan and the exclusive Silver Card sort of; they might have additional conversations, I haven't checked, so I can't say, but I do know they let you get the starsphere.

Rise of the Deliverance gives you a memory prism key item, Lost Altars unlocks the Conqueror class for Alm (same as Walhart but without a mount), and Cipher Companion units have full voice support and support convos with other units (same as Anna in Fates).

5 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

I'm okay with the concept, yes, but I disagree that it was a better buisiness practice than Echoes because all three paths are literally on the carts. You're simply paying for an unlock on Conquest or Birthright carts, whereas the Map Packs are actual DLC that is downloaded as fresh content.

Thats why for the purposes of DLC discussion the three paths should be treated as base game (particularly on account of the special edition cartridge) while the Map Packs are actually genuine DLC. There's also the fact that in a few territories (including South Korea) they don't sell Fates in versions; the only option is a single cartridge with all three paths. So it's pretty clear to me that FUNCTIONALLY the paths aren't true DLC like the additional map packs in Awakening, Fates, and Echoes. That's why when we're talking about bad DLC I find it slightly hypocritical to give on-disc DLC (the infamous big one that companies like EA get shit on for) a pass while shitting on something that we've literally had for the past few games with no issues, even with Awakening's monstrously expensive (but worth every penny) DLC.

i have no huge problem with the Fates setup, aside from the lack of availability for the special edition which is another topic, but I have issue with a perceived double standard im observing.

Comparing all of the map packs, Fates's are the cheapest at about $25-$30, Echoes is slightly more expensive at $45, and Awakening's is literally about $60-$65.

Tl;dr the Echoes season pass is just par for the course we've had and that's what people need to realize I think

@Cute Chao the Undaunted Heroes pack lets you assemble the starsphere if you collect all the star shards, which you can give to a unit to increase their growth rates by iirc 30% across the board. Fledgling Warriors gives you absolutely nothing. So yes, Undaunted Heroes does give you something of worth. So it's more like Infinite Regalia and how they gave you Eldigan and the exclusive Silver Card sort of; they might have additional conversations, I haven't checked, so I can't say, but I do know they let you get the starsphere.

Rise of the Deliverance gives you a memory prism key item, Lost Altars unlocks the Conqueror class for Alm (same as Walhart but without a mount), and Cipher Companion units have full voice support and support convos with other units (same as Anna in Fates).

I meant do the grindy ones have conversations. Like in the gold grinding one in Awakening, when you fight against the enemies, you get a special conversation at the beginning (Iike Stahl's vegetable line). 

I'm definitely getting the backstory ones, just wondering about the grinding ones. 

2 hours ago, Cute Chao said:

I meant do the grindy ones have conversations. Like in the gold grinding one in Awakening, when you fight against the enemies, you get a special conversation at the beginning (Iike Stahl's vegetable line). 

I'm definitely getting the backstory ones, just wondering about the grinding ones. 

None of your character have a single line in the Money and exp ones, in case that's what you ask.

Those chapter are fully voiced, even if it's just one or two guys doing a few lines of dialogue.

3 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

None of your character have a single line in the Money and exp ones, in case that's what you ask.

Those chapter are fully voiced, even if it's just one or two guys doing a few lines of dialogue.

Thank you :) 

2 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

You get the starsphere though which lets you manually change growth rates from Undaunted Heroes.

With the starsphere you can basically do crazy shit like actually salvage Nomah

Sounds fun ^.^ I don't tend to do much with growths myself - I'm usually more interested in the story/characters than the gameplay, but I'll consider it ^.^ 

I'm definitely getting the ones that are about characters and their backstories, and certainly the cipher one ^.^

4 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

You get the starsphere though which lets you manually change growth rates from Undaunted Heroes.

With the starsphere you can basically do crazy shit like actually salvage Nomah

Yeah i don't even have the starsphere just the random star shards and they've done quite the number on my character growths. Cancer for Silque is amazing she's tankier than my Alm atm.

4 hours ago, Cute Chao said:

Thank you :) 

Sounds fun ^.^ I don't tend to do much with growths myself - I'm usually more interested in the story/characters than the gameplay, but I'll consider it ^.^ 

I'm definitely getting the ones that are about characters and their backstories, and certainly the cipher one ^.^

I think Lost Altars sort of counts as Awakening backstory because of Alm's promotion (Conqueror), the ramifications of which to future Valentia being hopefully quite obvious. It also apparently increases stat caps for each unit

• 2 weeks later...

I have a slightly different perspective on this. I don't think the DLC is too expensive.  Even though it costs more than the game, the game itself is rather cheap.

Being old I remember buying (well begging my parents to buy) Atari games at $30 back in the early 80s.  That's the equivalent of $75-80 in today's dollars.  And that was for games that were significantly more rudimentary than almost any game today.

So from my POV, $40 for the game is a steal.  I don't mind paying an extra fee to play the other maps.  Honestly without the shipping and eugenics of Awakening and Fates, there's not much to do once you've beaten the game.