Guilty Pleasure Units

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

What are some favorite units of yours to use even though they're commonly held by the community to be not very good?

Some of mine include Est, Arden, and Marty.

Ardens not good? He saved my rear end enough times that hes cool in my book.

Edit: I'm not sure whats considered good units and not, but I'm going off my limited experience with others opinions.

I gotta million, Macellan, Bantu (I dont think hes good), Jake (depends on who you ask), Caeda, Thani, VYLAND because his HAIR, adult tiki in Heroes, Beruka in Heroes, Hell, probrably Adult Tiki in general I'm sure shes not that great. There's plenty that I cant think of too.

Edited by rockocalypse

Ilyana. People hate her because of her personality, which is admittedly nonexistent. That, however, does not stop me from using and supporting her with Zihark so I can get those brief, insignificant conversations between them in RD. She actually isn't that bad of a unit, to be honest, and I always had fun using her while playing. Plus, I think she's cute. Sue me.

Kyza. A terrible excuse for a Tiger, but I could never bring myself not to use him. I remember his strength always being RNG screwed when I played, but I preserved and brought him to Endgame every time.

Makalov. I'm probably one of few people that actually like and enjoy using Makalov. Finally, a character whose frivolous and irresponsible gambling ways actually impact others in a negative manner, and he's called out on it. Sure, he's not the greatest looking. Sure, the other cavaliers probably outclass him. Sure, his role in the story is minimal. Sure, his development isn't the most groundbreaking. But you know what? I don't give a rat's ass.

There's not one playthrough where I don't use my girl Lucia in FE9/10. Always use her every time and bring her up with Blossom despite the bad bases she has (and bad growths in FE10) as well as low availability. Don't give a damn, love her to pieces. Also Calill; gotta value that doubling power despite her low magic growth; and then Rexbolt is the reason why I'd ever use Ilyana. Because Rexbolt man; best animation for magic in RD. Such a shame she's the only one who can use it.

Sophia: She's actually my favorite dark magic user in the series. I use her in every playthrough of Binding Blade

Amelia: the concept of a speedy General is hilarious

Nino: You can't have Jaffar without Nino.

Fj2h347.png

Is the big one.  I use him every single playthrough, all the way to the endgame, on both Normal and Hard.  He's my favorite character, so yeah.  

I also use Rolf in both Tellius games, Nino, Ewan, Edward, Leonardo, Rebecca, and Erk quite a bit.

Dorcas. Also Roger, but mostly Dorcas.

Interesting.  I always had the impression that Roger was at least a better Knight than Draug, mostly from Shadow Dragon.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

Tharja. Yes she gets a ton of hate for being "horrible", she is a fanservice character, and is probably a character with one of the most mixed reactions of any game community I have seen, but I still love using the character. She makes it into FE Warriors, she will likely be one of the characters I play the most. I like her design, not for the fanservice, but because I actually found it unique. I liked the Egyptian style they were going with. I also thought outside of her Robin and Noire supports, she was a really interesting character. Definitely one of my favorite mages.

Bastian. I dont think anyone really uses this guy, and he was ranked one of the lowest in the Heroes polls, though I did vote for him. He is one of my favorite characters of Tellius. I loved his design, I loved the character, used him every time in both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

For me it's Ricken, to the point that I was surprised when I found out that he's widely considered one of the worst units in the game. He's called useless and everything, but I just don't see it. He's turned out great for me on every single one of my Awakening playthroughs, and he far outclassed Miriel in usefulness by having much more magic than her, and enough speed to double most things in the game. I dunno, maybe I got ridiculously blessed each time, but he was definitely one of the more useful units in the game for me.

Been a while since I played Fire Emblem in general, but I do know one of my 'guilty pleasure' units is Lucia. Is she the best unit? All evidence says no, and yeah, her availability in Radiant Dawn means she'll be outmatched, but she's always worked well for me. Give her Alondite in the finale, and I had her killing dragons with no problem, and dragons are tough.

Camilla would be another one. No, not because of the obvious fan service design, but because I genuinely think she's an interesting character. Yeah, gameplay wise, I can do better, but I like her.

3 minutes ago, TheFreelancerSeal said:

Camilla would be another one. No, not because of the obvious fan service design, but because I genuinely think she's an interesting character. Yeah, gameplay wise, I can do better, but I like her.

Actually, Camilla is one of the best units in the game, especially in Conquest.

As for my guilty pleasure, it's Donnel for Awakening, Mozu for Fates. Donnel probably more so because he needs a level up, is a lance user in an axe-heavy map, and he has to survive in classic (if I'm playing Casual, he levels up and then GTFO). Mozu only has to survive, though it is easier to level her up, especially in Revelation. Both can become powerful quickly (though Donnel can fall off late without Limit Breaker), and both are good candidates for Dread Fighter.

Eh, true, but with how she looks, most probably assume that's why I use her. Plus, in Revelation, she can't take as much near the end, at least I think so.

I can agree on Donnel too. I mean, he takes a lot of TLC, but he's great once he promotes. I made him a bow knight, and wow, was he good. I guess another of my guilty pleasures is Sumia. Maybe it's just me, but I see a lot of dislike for her, and I fail to see why. When paired up with Chrom, she was one half of my dream team. Rarely anything could touch either of them, so I certainly think she's solid as a unit, and what can I say, I find her likable.

Tharja. I love her character a lot when she isn't being weirdly abusive.

Sothe, Charlotte, Fiona, Wendy, Marisa, and Natasha are all semi-bad units who I really like. I love their designs and personalities.

Edited by Freyjadour

I'm not sure if "guilty pleasure" is the best term to use, but then again, "favorite suboptimal units" is too harsh.

I tried using Fiona and Nino on various occasions, as well as pretty much any growth unit. If I'm doing a run without a theme, I'll toss on a labor of love or two. Rath most recently for instance. Another example would be Silas (he kinda isn't necessary and definitely not amazing on CQ past C10).

38 minutes ago, Freyjadour said:

Sothe, Charlotte, Fiona, Wendy, Marisa, and Natasha are all semi-bad units who I really like. I love their designs and personalities.

I love using Charlotte for her big knockers Critical rates.  In fact, she's probably one of the reasons I like axe users (especially Berserkers) so much.

Any of the trainee-type units.  From Amelia to Mozu, I always like finding ways to build them up from their lackluster beginnings.  By that extension, I also like making Est good.  By the end of both Shadow Dragon and Mystery, half of my team were fliers, don't judge.

Any of the potential dark mages in Awakening are fun just because dark magic is broken as hell in that game.  It's especially broken if you can also get them Armsthrift, because then you could potentially have a Nosferatu and Mire tank who you hardly have to invest money into.  I list them because they either are characters that get a lot of flak (Tharja) or are generally considered bad as dark mages (Cordelia).  Henry's the only dark mage who doesn't seem to be a victim of mudslinging in either regard.

And any units who aren't Ryoma in Birthright.  Or really, any non-royal units.  Specifically characters like Hana, who are considered second or third rate to royals who are of the same class as them.  Also both Arthur and Charlotte, though both because I just like their characters.

5 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Fj2h347.png

Is the big one.  I use him every single playthrough, all the way to the endgame, on both Normal and Hard.

Me too. He also always ends up being my Murgleis user.

Let's see...Gordin is another character who isn't great, at least in Shadow Dragon where they nerfed his strength growth for some reason, but I use him in Shadow Dragon and New Mystery regardless. 

Isadora's a unit who people don't think much of, but she turned out pretty good for me in an unusual unit run I did for FE7 recently.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

once i used wendy on FE6 HM

i spent a billion turns feeding her kills on her join chapter, rigged some early chapter level ups and using her was manageable

2 hours ago, Freyjadour said:

Bold: Natasha's considered bad? That's news to me.

2 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Bold: Natasha's considered bad? That's news to me.

Natasha is awful. She starts at level 1 three chapters after Moulder arrives and leveling healers in FE8 is incredibly difficult.

also if you seriously say she's better than moulder because of her higher luck then

Edited by Freyjadour

See my sig?  Full of units you wouldn't want to use!

In Heroes, i still enjoy using Raigh/Virion - they're hilarious.

4 hours ago, Freyjadour said:

Natasha is awful. She starts at level 1 three chapters after Moulder arrives and leveling healers in FE8 is incredibly difficult.

also if you seriously say she's better than moulder because of her higher luck then

I don't see a marginal level lead as anywhere near enough for me to say Moulder's better - not in the least. And that's pretty much all he has over her (I consider her growth spread better than his).