Guilty Pleasure Units

Odin and Laslow, mostly the former as Laslow in still considered useful by some, but not as much as Selena. Odin is certainly not as good as he was in Awakening, but I also recruited Owain the least as I tended to pair up Lissa the least. Now, I can actually play as him all the time. In a game that encourages reclassing, I think both he and Laslow are probably best reclassed, and I love their personal skills. Sort of an Awakening bias here, but their actual characters I've really grown to love more in Fates.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easily Lucia. When I played FE9 a few years ago I normally kept a few stat-boosters on hand to help out those gawd-awful bases of hers (why IS... ). Due to her obscene growths, she ended up capping her STR/SKL and SPD for me. >:) And then I data-transferred her over to RD. Good times.

Lilina and Merric.

I guess Merric isn't technically "bad" (decent at worst usually) but he is signifciantly worse than Wendell and Etzel in most appearances bar possibly FE3 B2.

Lilina is terrible but she's one of the bad units that is easier to train and is more interesting to use than most of the others because of unique qualities like the quick Roy support, how hard she hits with Magic, Bolting, Staves, etc.

Edited by Irysa

FE6: Zeiss. He turned out exceedingly well, though I do wish he had a couple more points of speed. The one time I used Fir she turned out to be an absolute monster, but I'm unsure if she's typically considered a "guilty pleasure" in the community.

FE7: Canas, Nino, Rath, and Heath. 

FE8: Ewan and Marisa. 

FE9: I always use Ilyana no matter what unless she truly begins to lag behind. Her only deficit is her speed in my experience.

FE10: Refer to FE9.

FE13: Virion. "T'was a thing of beauty!"

FE14: Saizo looks epic, so I always feel compelled to use him.

Edited by Xanaxian

FE1-3: I don't even remember who are supposed to be the "bad/not worth using" units in these games.

FE4: Ulster and Larcei. Foot units where foot units really only slow you down. Also Johalva/Iucharba, just due to the uniqueness of him, even if basically everything that makes him unique also makes him bad.

FE5: Tanya I like to use for unit variety, and also as an on-map boost to Orsin, even though bows are pretty bad in this game. For whatever reason people seem to HATE Troude, but I've used him a few times, and he's never been a bad unit. Statistically he's fine too, but yeah, people hate him. I also put a lot of care into Lara to get her to promote all 3 times.

FE6: Any axers. I always use Geese, usually use Gonzales, and sometimes use Lot, even though axes are dogshit in this game. I also like to use Oujay, and my tendencies towards using Ests continues with Zeiss. And I'll shill out the 10k to get uber-Hugh, who usually becomes my go-to Anima user if I decide against using Lilina.

FE7: Bartre and Dorcas. Certainly they don't measure up to Dart, Hawkeye or Geitz, but I get a certain pleasure out of seeing these two level up and seeing if fate favors me and they become usable. Rath is also the only bow user I bother touching besides Rebecca. I also like Farina way more than the other two peggies. Actually having a strength growth helps.

FE8: Don't care.

FE9: I like using Ilyana PURELY because she can be a major asset to the DB in RD if she gets those +2 import bonuses. I'll even use her over Soren most of the time, because those import bonuses make such a difference. Similarly, I like using Sothe over Volke, just in case I can get a magic run where he turns out slightly less awful in RD, as rare as that is.

FE10: Aran. As much as people like Soldiers/Halberdiers/Sentinels, they're all pretty awful/not worth using in RD. That said, Aran is the least awful, and the one, I think, far and away the most worthy of getting the EXP required to be useful(Danved sure as hell isn't getting it, and Nephenee's nowhere near good enough to deserve EXP that could go to many better units. Aran, meanwhile, really only has Micaiah and Nolan as major competition for EXP in the DB chapters.). Plus, due to how BEXP works in RD, he's probably the one who benefits the most from it in the DB, as he's definitely going to cap Str, Skl, and Def pretty quick, meaning he'll be getting tons of HP and Speed, and probably Res if you give him BEXP.

FE13: These are all broken units.

FE14: Charlotte.

Edited by Slumber

10 minutes ago, Slumber said:

FE4: Ulster and Larcei. Foot units where foot units really only slow you down. Also Johalva/Iucharba, just due to the uniqueness of him, even if basically everything that makes him unique also makes him bad.

FE5: Tanya I like to use for unit variety, and also as an on-map boost to Orsin, even though bows are pretty bad in this game. For whatever reason people seem to HATE Troude, but I've used him a few times, and he's never been a bad unit. Statistically he's fine too, but yeah, people hate him. I also put a lot of care into Lara to get her to promote all 3 times.

FE6: Any axers. I always use Geese, usually use Gonzales, and sometimes use Lot, even though axes are dogshit in this game. I also like to use Oujay, and my tendencies towards using Ests continues with Zeiss. And I'll shill out the 10k to get uber-Hugh, who usually becomes my go-to Anima user if I decide against using Lilina.

FE14: Charlotte.

I really wanna use Iucharba if I ever manage to get past the first generation of Genealogy of the Holy War, if only because he's the closest thing that game has to a playable Brigand.

Tanya is turning out shockingly well in my current playthrough of Thracia 776 and I imagine it'll be really fun to use her and Osian together when I get around to promoting him.  I figured Troude was disliked mostly for not being Shiva or Mareeta.

I would've used Geese as my Berserker instead of Gonzalez if he hadn't gotten RNG-screwed.  Maybe I'll use him if I play Binding Blade again and take Elffin's route where Gonzalez ends up worse.

And yeah, Charlotte is definitely one of my favorite units to use in Fates because of how hilarious it is to see her with such high Critical.  She'll probably be the only non-Child Unit in my current playthrough of Fates: Revelation who gets an S-Rank weapon.

As a general rule for me: the Est units. All of them. I will find a way to bring them to their true potential, efficiency be dratted. (I'm sorry, I joined the fandom when growths were more fashionable than bases.)

Others include:

FE10: Edward. Hardly a horrible unit, I know, but I remember at least one playthrough being dedicated to shoving all the bonus EXP down his throat at everyone else's expense.

FE11: Radd and Tomas. Radd is kinda my golden boy, as he has been for a while, but I only really picked Tomas up in the past two runs. Also, Merric as a physical unit - I seem to recall him nearly soloing Michalis' chapter on H2 or H3 as a Sniper, and he was MVP one time when he went Cav->Draco.

Also, Horace. All the times I've gone to his gaiden chapter, I've never been able to kill him off. 2handsome4me.

FE14: Odin. I put up with so much of his trash and it was so worthwhile by the end. 10/10, would recommend. 

But the foremost prize for Fates Guilty pleasure unit has to be Rinkah. She starts out kinda meh but it is so worthwhile to turn her into a beast and stack all that crit. I swear, seeing that 100% Crit Rate is the closest I'll ever come to reaching nirvana.

Fe3: Jubelo

Fe5: Marty, Glade, Robert and Conomore were all fun units (given you provide the proper scrolls lel)

Fe6: Bartre. That base strength is hilariously useful as he can end up one shotting a lot of wyverns with bows without needing to double.

Fe7: Dorcas actually turns out fairly usable for me a lot of the time. Axe users I find were really fun this game

Fe8: Other than Duessel, I use Kyle a lot as a great knight. Makes a great support unit where he can wittle down enemies for others as a cav, and tink hits when promoted.

Fe11: Macellan 

Fe13: Never had a bad Gregor, and Stahl is always one of my better units

Fe14: Benny is awesome, and Shura is also really useful in playthroughs regardless of the route

Just now, lbrasz44 said:

Fe11: Macellan 

Keep fighting the good fight.

Another one of my "guilty pleasure" units is Minerva. Its only "guilty" because I feel any pre promoted unit in FE1 is just not that great. And never have I ever had a Minerva in FE1/11/12 grow well. One day.

I could have sworn I made a topic like this a while back.  Oh well.  Been a while...  *Ahem.

I have at least 1 Guilty pleasure unit for like every Fire Emblem game I've played.

FE1 - Roshea

FE 2 - Boey

FE 4 - Lester With Arden as the Father.  That includes using and promoting Arden.  How else is Lester going to get the killer bow and Pursiut ring?

FE 5 - Lara, and Hicks.  (Specifically, Hicks Claims the sety and baldo scrolls)

FE 6 - It should be pretty obvious who this is.  Hint: Under my name

FE 7 - I know people use Bartre if they want Karla, but he's not all that great.  But darn it, I love his character and it pains me not to use him sometimes.

FE 8 - Marisa.  (I like her character)

FE 10 - Lyre.  Kill me now, she is HARD to train.  But I like her.

FE 11 - Cord as a knight, Macellan, Roshea (again), and even Gordin.

Spoiler

Macellan I find makes a great unit to specialize in speed or strength, depending on reclass.  I'm sorry, but if you are using him as a knight, you're using him wrong.  He's the only person who ever hit the Warrior/Berserker strength cap in my 50+ Playthroughs of FE 11.  Love 'em.

FE 12 - Belf.  Archer Belf.  I think Radd is cool too.

FE 13 - Don't really have one, because Everyone in awakening can be good.  I'm starting to try and use characters I don't normally use like Ricken and Libra.  I will never use nowi again, though.  she's... ugh.

Fates - Is Nyx Bad?  I see people say she's bad, but i don't see it. And also Felicia.  Felicia's one that is hard for me to pass up, even though I like female corrin more.

Edited by Lord Tullus

5 hours ago, Lord Tullus said:

Fates - Is Nyx Bad?  I see people say she's bad, but i don't see it. And also Felicia.  Felicia's one that is hard for me to pass up, even though I like female corrin more.

A typical Nyx Level Up from my experience will consist of Magic and Speed and maybe Resistance and that's about it.  Her low Skill is particularly troublesome.  I saw one person call her a "magical loli Gonzalez", but I find that to be an insult to Gonzalez, who at least had far better HP in addition to comparable offensive stats.

She makes a good mother for Ophelia, Forrest, or Rhajat, though.

6 hours ago, Lord Tullus said:

Is Nyx Bad?  I see people say she's bad, but i don't see it. And also Felicia.  Felicia's one that is hard for me to pass up, even though I like female corrin more.

Nyx is a case that proves it isn't enough just to have a good attacking stat + speed, even for a fragile player phase offense only unit. Her hit rate is shoddy due to low skill, and her speed and magic, while they eventually pick up, start too low for doubling and ORKOing. Revelation makes her near unusable (that she gets placed as a level 9 unpromoted unit in a chapter alongside a 20/10 Shura, is proof that Rev. was not playtested at all). Leo can with much less investment (Lightning, Selena/Nyx pair up, Horse Spirit) outdo her on CQ (also to a lesser degree Izana). And on Rev. you can add Hayato and even Orochi to the magic units who are just so much better than her.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Arthur is a very risky character to use and even when he's doing well he's rarely the star player on my team. Arthur is also very funny and has a gimmick that sits really well with me. He runs the risks of being criticalled but he also scores plenty of criticals himself which leads to further funny lines when doing so.

Its actually kind of exited to use Arthur so that and his funny behavior earns him a spot on my team no matter how many times he fares badly. 

Pelleas is probably my biggest "guilty pleasure" unit since so many other people prefer using other characters as mages in Radiant Dawn rather than Pelleas.  However, every time I've used him he has been a really useful unit, even almost maxing out all of his stats during several playthroughs.

Ulki is another, people usually just prefer to use Tibarn, but I like Ulki a lot.

Marisa from Sacred Stones is one of my favorites from that game, but I know people favor Joshua over her which is understandable and reasonable.

Fe5 - Machyua/Makua. I LOVE HER. She turned into an absolute killing machine, capping speed and skill before level 14, making her dodge literally anything. Once she became a hero she wasn't able to be stopped.

Fe6 - My Cecilia turned out surprisingly good.

Fe7 - Nino is NOT BAD you guys.

Fe8 - Trainee units. I love babying up low-level units

Fe9 - Can't really think of anyone

Fe10 - I'm gonna say it. Meg and Fiona. Just because everyone and their mothers told me they were bad, I used them anyway because why not. Fiona was promoted before part 1 endgame and she was amazing. Amazing Defense and Speed, could tank hits and deal them back. I gave Meg the brave sword and could easily kill enemies with it.

Fe11 - Don't know, Gordin? I always had a soft spot for him, he's my favourite archer in the series.

Fe12 - Don't know.

Fe13 - Everyone is pretty overpowered tbh

Fe14 - I actually made use of Subaki. He turned out very good.

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2017 at 2:23 AM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I don't see a marginal level lead as anywhere near enough for me to say Moulder's better - not in the least. And that's pretty much all he has over her (I consider her growth spread better than his).

Moulder also starts with C staves, whereas Natasha starts with D. Staff rank alone makes Moulder much more useful than Natasha.

Anyway, I have plenty of them, though the big one is Marisa, who is def one of my favorite FE characters, if not my favorite.

FE4: Arden and Dew. I've always liked Dew and I just like to train Arden because I find it challenging.

FE6: Wendy, who turned out to be an amazing unit for me. Just needed some babying.

FE7: Dorcas and Nino. I just like both of them a lot.

FE8: All trainee units.

Leif, Roy, Eliwood... I see a pattern here. Okay, okay.

Pretty much anyone in FE5.

FE8 Trainees, I guess. I have to go out of my way to train them and I do not like going out of my way :Y

Other than that... Maybe the Balisticians in SD as well. I usually can level one up pretty high but it is forced tactics to get him the kills, haha.

Barthe but that borders with torture. I even brought him to the desert chapter for the freaking heck of it. He... moved around a bit and settled down.

Edited by MadJak91

Amelia: A general that doubles, is a fun general.

Natasha: Her stat distribution reminded me of Elise without a horse and I like using Elise.

Nino: Yes I actually used her and promoted her at level 20... still better than Eliwood

Felicia: Flame Shuriken or Felicia's Plate, that's all I needed for her to be useful; and I play as the Female Corrin all the time.

Orochi: I just finished a play-through of Birthright on Classic (Normal) and she made it to end-game and actually did stuff.

• Lilina: Aside from her support with Roy, I'm quite fond of her ability to nuke knights and wyverns even if Lugh's speed tends to do the job better. I also don't use Raigh or Sophia, so she gets a pass for simply using magic.
  • Geese: This guy's my only axe-use in Binding Blade before the cavaliers promote since I loathe Gonzales's growth spread.
  • Wil and Rebecca: I like their support triangle with Dart, plus my personal archer bias.
  • Dorcas: The main reason I use him is that he's handy in Lyn's tale and I don't like wasting that XP, but I still go through the effort of promoting him later on despite him being crap compared to Dart and Hector.
  • Erk: The argument that he's inferior to Pent never sat well with me given how he's your main source of magic in the beginning of the game.
  • Norne: More archer bias, especially since she turned out with great strength the first time I used her.
  • Flora: Only in Rev, but I went through the effort of bringing her up to par with the party and even S-supporting her.
  • Arthur: He's a fantastic guy, not to mention I tend not to use children in Fates.
  • Odin and Laslow: Again, no children means they get spots on the team. I also really like how Fates handled them and Selena character-wise, so I use them to get their supports if nothing else.
  • Hana and Hinata: They're crap compared to Ryoma, but I like swordmasters.
  • Setsuna: More archer bias. The sheer power of yumi makes up for her mediocre strength, while she doubles everything (which Takumi has trouble doing for me).

Marty. He's so bad but getting him those sick promo gains is worth the grind kinda sorta not really but his dopey portrait is always fun to look at every time I check his stats.

Azel is also so bad but I like working up to 20 cause mage knights are the best class ever. Once he gets there he's actually pretty decent but getting there is the worst.

FE4: Noish, Azel.

FE6: Sophia, because I am crazy and I like her. Shanna as well, although I don't recall her being a bad unit. I think she's average at best, and early availability + being a flying horse adds points in her favor.

FE7: Bartre and Rebecca. I remember the latter receiving backlash but I don't remember why, maybe I'm just lucky with her.

FE Heroes counterparts: Raigh.

FE9: Rolf.

FE10: Rolf again, Gatrie, Kurthnaga (not a bad unit, but he requires Elite abusing on part 5 to turn out decent), Sanaki (also not bad, but low def and speed are a handicap), Sothe.

FE14: Mozu.

FEchoes: Boey.

FE Heroes counterparts: Raigh. But hey, anything can become good with genetic engineery Skill Inheritance, right? I just need enough hero feathers and patience to read meta stuff.

Edited by Rapier