Nioh

Sentacotus

Anyone have or play this game?  What are your thoughts on it?

I bought it used for my PS4 with it being a cool looking exclusive and all.  But man the game is the most difficult I've played in a long time right up there with Ninja Gaiden and maybe just below Dark Souls.  Oddly enough to me the bosses seem to be the easiest part while the actual levels are harder than hell.  Seriously the most basic footsoldiers can easily kill you in 3 blows.  Don't get me wrong.  The game mechanically works well but in an instant you can go from dominating to dieing in a single blow.  Part of it is that the enemies in the game do so much damage and the way attacks are stringed together are so quick that if you lose your stamina then you are effectively finished.  Sometimes in the game when i die I feel it was warranted such as running headlong into an area with seemingly one enemy but actually being an ambush set with multiple well armored samurai.  But other times just kinda seem bs like fighting enemies that seem to never run out of stamina so they can constantly attack until you run out of stamina and can't counterattack yourself.  I enjoy the game but am hoping I can at least get past the second level as the rest of the game seems very interesting and fun.

Edited by LordOTaco

Good game. Combat is really fun, and i enjoyed the difficulty, but it's a bit too long for its own good and it gets a bit repetitive, it could use more enemy variety. I liked most of the areas, though.

try perfecting dodging, i found this game even more reliant on dodging than bloodborne, which already relies way more on dodging than the souls games (well, that's not relevant, considering nioh is not a from software game, but still, perfect dodging). Try playing around with different stances and weapon types. If you're dying too much, try also investing on body. Also increase heart, Ki is pretty important. Honestly, i would focus on those two stats plus whatever boosts your weapon type of choice, and basically ignore the others.

Edited by Nobody

On 5/6/2017 at 3:00 AM, Nobody said:

Good game. Combat is really fun, and i enjoyed the difficulty, but it's a bit too long for its own good and it gets a bit repetitive, it could use more enemy variety. I liked most of the areas, though.

try perfecting dodging, i found this game even more reliant on dodging than bloodborne, which already relies way more on dodging than the souls games (well, that's not relevant, considering nioh is not a from software game, but still, perfect dodging). Try playing around with different stances and weapon types. If you're dying too much, try also investing on body. Also increase heart, Ki is pretty important. Honestly, i would focus on those two stats plus whatever boosts your weapon type of choice, and basically ignore the others.

Yeah I'll have to do that I've been grinding and putting all my points to body and ki maybe someday I'll be able to take more than 2 hits and be ok lol.

On 5/6/2017 at 5:06 PM, Slumber said:

The bosses start getting tough at around the mid-point of the game, and they'll start kicking your ass pretty hard.

Oh the joy!

On 5/6/2017 at 10:17 PM, Radiant head said:

iirc i made a thread about this. 

kinda lost interest after a bit, though might try it again later.  the combat system was tight, but it was a bit charmless aesthetically 

Really?  I actually thought aesthetically it was quite appealing.

On 2017/5/7 at 11:17 AM, Radiant head said:

the combat system was tight, but it was a bit charmless aesthetically 

Eh, different strokes for different folks. I love the Japanese ghost story vibe they've got going.

I too love this game, but had to take a break for a while (mainly that my wife does not approve of my playing it in front of my 2-year-old), but if you ever want to co-op or just be PSN palz let me know and I'll send a PM with my ID. I've gotten through the first two regions already, so I can help with the really harsh parts of those stages. Helping someone out would probably remind me why I have so much fun with Nioh, and motivate me to push forward.

I can't disagree that it's on the long side, though. Yeesh. The recently-released DLC even added a super-hard mode for those die-hards who already beat the game twice!

6 hours ago, Omegaprism said:

Eh, different strokes for different folks. I love the Japanese ghost story vibe they've got going.

I too love this game, but had to take a break for a while (mainly that my wife does not approve of my playing it in front of my 2-year-old), but if you ever want to co-op or just be PSN palz let me know and I'll send a PM with my ID. I've gotten through the first two regions already, so I can help with the really harsh parts of those stages. Helping someone out would probably remind me why I have so much fun with Nioh, and motivate me to push forward.

I can't disagree that it's on the long side, though. Yeesh. The recently-released DLC even added a super-hard mode for those die-hards who already beat the game twice!

Sure yeah I wouldn't mind doin that sometime that'd be fun!