Gameplay Facts About Various FE Games Not Many People Would Know Of

Randoman

In this thread, list gameplay facts about any FE game that very few people would know (so if it's very seldomly mentioned online or in guides and it's not common knowledge, list it!!). It'll be interesting to see how many things we didn't know about FE games, especially things that no one ever mentions/talks about online.

In FE3, the max amount of money you're allowed to hold is 655350.

In FE3, the Star Orb does not prevent Dragonstone uses from going down (someone on SF a while back told me about this, and I've tried and confirmed it myself).

In FE3, Barts holding a Star Orb is one of the few characters (or maybe even the only one) capable of getting a literal perfect level-up, in regards to all 8 of his stats going up.

In FE6 (and maybe other GBA FE games), if a sword users has a magic rank in anything other than staves (due to cheat devices), they will not be able to properly attack with swords (there might be other conditions that'll cause this glitch, but it's been a while since I've tested it out).

In FE7, if you cheat in Afa Drops in a character's inventory and use it on anyone besides Lyn, you can have them show up instead of Lyn in the Battle History page.

In FE7, if you cheat Paul or Jasmine into your team, they'll show up in the Support Conversations page (though it might ruin the Support Conversations page for good).

In FE8, Lute is essentially a forced recruited character, since she gets recruited even when you finish Chapter 4 without recruiting her and none of the enemies can destroy villages. If only I could hack the game somehow and change one of the enemies into a thief to test this fact further...

In FE11, if you cheat in Prologue 4 so that you keep every character and recruit Gordin, the game will glitch up in Chapter 1 when Caeda tries to join the team and there's already more characters than Chapter 1 allows you to start with (I didn't test this one out myself, I read about someone doing this on SF a while back).

8 minutes ago, Randoman said:

In FE3, Barts holding a Star Orb is one of the few characters (or maybe even the only one) capable of getting a literal perfect level-up, in regards to all 8 of his stats going up.

What makes Barts special?

In fe4, if a character inherits an item of the same type as the item that they or their substitute would start with, then the starting item is remooved from inventory and replaces the inhereted item in the place that the inherited item would be found if it were not inhereted. THis one specific mechanic actualy has a surprising amount of special case checking. This check does NOT apply to items in storage, so it is recommended that you put things in there if you know they are the same item type as a starting item.

In fe11 and 12, you can gain more WEXP from an arms scroll by reclassing into all classes that can use their weapon type, and seing which one requires the most WEXP to get to the next level (and then reclassing to your previous class after using the arms scroll). For example, if you have a hero with E axes, using an arms scroll would normally give him 30 WEXP, puting him at an even D rank. however, reclassing to Warier makes him start at D rank. This means that the arms scroll gives him 45 WEXP to get to Rank C. WHen he then reclasses back to hero, this translates a rank of D and 15 additional weapon EXP, putting him a third of the way to the next level.

In fates, the game checks for after battle effect skills (like draconic curse and poison strike) after you level up and learn/replace new skills

In fates, all "other" weapon types (the ones that display WEXP in the slot farthest to the left on the animates summery screen) use the same WEXP number, to determine the rank. THe game uses a differnt icon if the class uses the rank for something other than dragonstones. This is why Corrin's dragon stone rank includes WEXP he gained from using "breath" in chapter 5. This also means that anyone with access to both beaststones and dragonstones (potentialy including Kana, selkie, and valara) can continue to build up weapon ranks if they are in their other class. it also makes Beaststone!kana viable because she does not have to gain weapon ranks from scratch. It is worth noting that mechanists use the saw weapon icon for their "other" slot, despite not being able to use saws. This might imply that they were supposed to use saws earlier in development, but the developers removed that without reverting the icon to the standard one.

I married Kaden in one of my Fates playthroughs and can confirm the Beaststone thing - I swapped Selkie to Hoshido Noble and she kept her Stone Rank.

Not sure if this counts or if everyone knows this by now, but in Awakening, all 'Marth' Einherjar are able to use all variations of Falchion, which can be combined with the fact that all Einherjar in Awakening have access to all Class Trees except Lord and any Gender-Specific Class Trees to make it so that a 'Marth' can be preferable to include on your team in place of Chrom as the 'Marth' will also be able to use Falchion and have access to a wider range of skills. This of course comes at the cost of Aether as 'Ike' is the only non-Lord to have Aether as an accessible Skill(RIP Priam), and 'Marth' cannot obtain Galeforce as a Male Unit, so Lucina is generally still a better option at least until the Exalted Falchion is obtained. This also means that you can have 'Marth' wield both Falchions at once in his Inventory if you feel like doing so.

Also from Awakening, the Dialogue in Paralogues 2 and 4 will change based on the order you complete them in - completing Paralogue 4 before Paralogue 2 changes what Vincent and Victor say to each Paralogue's respective Anna, as well as changing what Anna will say to Chrom at the end of each Paralogue.

FE6: Roy equipping the binding blade recovers from status afflictions the turn after they were cast on him, never affecting him in practice. (That one is a surprise to me: another reason it's OP imo)

GBAFE (maybe not FE6): A relatively well known one is being able to cause a mounted unit to have FE4 canto after attacking on certain tiles (like lava tiles in Valorous Roland (a pretty well known way to figure that out, hence my reluctance to mention it) or tiles that once had weak walls in that tile). Possibly related to the cause of the mine glitch.

On 5/5/2017 at 11:56 AM, Konnor97 said:

What makes Barts special?

I don't have a solid answer to that. All I know is in my current FE3 playthrough where I'm Star Orb abusing practically the whole cast (and doing tons of save state saving and loading to see their possible level ups and choosing the best one), Barts is the only one who was consistently able to get perfect level ups with the Star Orb. The only other character who's been able to get a perfect level up so far is Julian, but even with tons of save state loading and retrying, I was only able to get one perfect level up for him. Even Est with the Star Orb hasn't gotten a perfect level up since she gets everything except for either defense or resistance.

FE3 has a bit of a weird level up system of sorts where it seems to pull from a predetermined list of stat-up possibilities when you level up (with the list being altered with the Star Orb held). A rough example of Abel without the Star Orb would be as follows:

Possibility #1: +1 Strength, +1 Speed, +1 Weapon Level, +1 HP (47% Chance)

Possibility #2: +1 Skill, +1 Luck, +1 Defense (20% Chance)

Possibility #3: +1 Skill, +1 Luck, +1 HP (30% Chance)

Possibility #4: +1 Strength, +1 Speed, +1 Weapon Level, +1 Resistance, +1 HP (3% Chance)

There are some cases where there's another possible combination for stat-ups, but those are much rarer. From what I've personally tested out and experienced, with the Star Orb, Barts with the Star Orb is the only one that seems to have a relatively high chance (around a 20%-30% chance from my knowledge) of having his stat-up possibility be perfect. I guess that one case where Julian got a perfect level-up was one of those rare cases.

Anyways, I'm definitely no hacker or programming wizard. For this topic, I only know what I've tested out and recorded. There's probably people on SF that can better explain this. If you're interested, I can give you a save file where you can arena abuse Barts with the Star Ob in Camus' chapter in FE3 Book 1.