Best way to choose characters, and never finishing a game

jdb1984

The way I've always done it is "everyone gets a chance", at least in the first half. I use everyone (except maybe the jeigan) on the first few maps. Once I get to choose, I choose who I liked best. And as I play further, they get reduced to a team of characters that I bring on every mission, either because of preference or because they fill a particular need. 

Along with them are usually new characters that joined on that map, or others that would be useful on that particular map, or replace those on my core team that are not going to be any use. And in Awakening and Fates, I tend to try and have both sides of my couples on the map, if applicable. Basically, I fill every possible slot on every map.

But I have yet to finish a FE game. Either I never get around to it, or I hit a wall and have constant restarting because someone keeps dying.

Any thoughts?

I probably could have explained better.  Basically, I was explaining how I choose my team, and wondering if there's a better way.  Also, I added in that I never finished a FE game, and I'm thinking my way of choosing characters may be contributing to it, since it's not a "pick less than 10 characters to use on every map" method.

10 minutes ago, jdb1984 said:

I probably could have explained better.  Basically, I was explaining how I choose my team, and wondering if there's a better way.  Also, I added in that I never finished a FE game, and I'm thinking my way of choosing characters may be contributing to it, since it's not a "pick less than 10 characters to use on every map" method.

For the most part, I' say that so long as you have a core team that you can fall back on when you're experimenting, you should be fine.  But that's just my thoughts on it.

1 hour ago, jdb1984 said:

Use top tier units. Problem solved. 

I don't think your unit composition is your problem. If you've been raising a core team of about five reliable units and tossing in a few flexibles like how you said in the OP, you should be fine in team comp. Don't get too discouraged and give up on clearing the game.

I'd say the team composition isn't the issue so much as the levels and Classes of your Units may be - if you're trying to use a Sorcerer Cordelia, for example, you're definitely going to run into some problems as her Magic is generally comparatively subpar. Who are you mostly using for each game and what Skillsets are you giving them? Someone here might have a suggestion for how to tweak each Unit a little differently.

While some FE games can get harder than others, they're all beatable, so don't give up! We'll see if we can't do anything for you to make it a little easier - with Fates, for example, you could go find someone's My Castle and borrow their Avatar or learn a couple Skills from their characters to boost your Units, while in Awakening I've found it useful to pull a copy of one of my old Avatars with every playthrough and keep training them in the new playthrough, effectively giving me a couple failsafe Units that I can fall back on for particularly difficult Chapters or if I need meatshields I can safely throw into the very worst of the fighting even in Classic because I can just re-recruit them at the end of the Chapter.

Edited by SoulWeaver