Something Witty

Ideas for for theoritical Fire emblem 6 Echoes

88 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

Well, I've heard some horror stories in regards to stats from other members who previously played FE6, and I've also heard that this is an ongoing issue in the franchise as a whole. Do you have an opinion in regards to Fixed Mode used in one of the Tellius games?

FE6 is one of the last titles in the series where you can be screwed out of having decent units. It's like second to only Path of Radiance in having the best prepromotes in the series afaik.

On the subject of accuracy, FE6 absolutely must retain it's low accuracy if it's to be remade. It's like a core aspect in which the game is designed. Remember people, it works that way for the enemy too. Use terrain and the weapon triangle, that low accuracy is a boon not a curse.

It makes me sad that so many people don't appreciate fangames.
Of course it means emulating which I understand some people daunt to do it.
But it's not that each fangame has the quality of Gheb FE. There are still tons of great hacks in the forum which feature ideas IS never introduced and probably never ever will. I treat a FE romhack as serious as a new official FE part by IS. 
My mentioned patch just fixed the gameplay issues and nothing of the story, but if there was a patch out with also a modified story, then there's no real reason (for me at least) to buy a remake which has probably a worse gameplay quality than a romhack.

51 minutes ago, Jotari said:

On the subject of accuracy, FE6 absolutely must retain it's low accuracy if it's to be remade. It's like a core aspect in which the game is designed. Remember people, it works that way for the enemy too. Use terrain and the weapon triangle, that low accuracy is a boon not a curse.

Yeah, Chapter 1 and Chapter 9 in particular get harder with FE7 axe accuracy.  You're kinda banking on those enemies missing.

Though honestly the main reason I appreciate axes and lances having a bit of a nerf (FE6 bows are fine as they are, though some of the units that use them (read: Wolt and Dorothy) could use work) is because I see it as a trade off for no good 2 range on swords.  Swords have no readily available 2 range options in FE6, with one Light Brand in a chest in Chapter 8, then they aren't purchasable until Chapter 23.  And it's not even that great as a ranged weapon since it doesn't factor str.  The only other ranged swords are enemy only outside trial maps (Runesword) and a lategame weapon locked to Roy (The Binding Blade).

Of course, the real best weapon type in FE6 is Anima.  1-2 range, targets res, lightweight, accurate.  

Edited by Glaceon Mage

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

Compared to FE6....not really. The axe users you get are so few that its not really an issue and only one of them is average and not even that bad. 

Grinding Milady to compensate for the hit rates for steel weapons doesn't work either since again, the steel weapons are bad. And killer lances..ok but they have low uses that its even more frustrating for that and grinding money on a ranked run is itself not recommended.

That's where you're wrong, buddy. Not having that many axes in Jugdral means not being able to really take advantage of the Weapon Triangle properly. The Weapon Triangle was borken as hell in FE4, but you only had so few playable axe users, divided by both generations. In the first generation, i think Lex was your only axe user. Well, Lachesis could use them as Master Knight, but she can also use literally everything that isn't Dark Magic. I think Arden can use axes as a General but he's Arden. So, in the first generation, that's three axe users, two of which can only use axes after promotion. The second generation had Hannibal, Leif (after promotion) and someone else that could use axes. So few axe users to get the advanatge over lance users.

You're making Steel weapons out to be worse than they actually are. I've uses Miledy reliably with a Steel Lance, though that's after promotion (good thing i promote ASAP). Killer Lances may have low uses but they are supposed to. A Killer weapon with a lot of uses would be broken. And i see that you're under the assumption that someone would be playing a ranked run. Not everyone plays for ranked. I personally don't, so grinding in arenas for gold won't affect my playthrough in a negative way.

2 hours ago, Harvey said:

my point was that good luck finding tons of people accepting your point of the RNG balance because by theory, that is partly to be blamed for the game's balance.

I still can't see where you're trying to go. What do you mean by "RNG balance"? What "theory" are you referring to? Where is the connection between random level-ups and your interjection about horrible units? Because the low-tier units of FE6 aren't bad because of RNG, they're bad because their base stats aren't good enough for their join time. Sure, Sophia is obviously a lot more reliant on good level-ups than Niime, but the same (although not as extreme) is true for Allen/Lance and Garret - and I don't think people think that the latter is better than the xmas cavs.

Moving on from my previous argument of gameplay to one of plot and characterisation, let's also make Narcian a bigger threat than he was in the original. Roy, foolishly thinking that the main Bernese Army had left, took over Araphen in Chapter 3. Very big mistake, as Narcian decided to check on Slater and by luck, saw an opportunity to ambush Roy and Co at the end of Chapter 3, and begin a long chase. Chapter 4 would essentially become a timed mission in Hard and Lunatic, where Narcian appears to chase Roy after a certain number of turns. (In Normal, Narcian only appears after Roy defeats Erik.) And if the player took too long to clear Chapter 16, Narcian would start preparing the Manaketes to use them to destroy Aqleia as his final form of defiance. Between Chapter 16 and the original paralogue (or Chapter 17 if Douglas dies) another paralogue will be added which will be a Defense chapter. There Narcian would unleash the prepared dragons against Aquleia - Roy and Co will have to assist evacuating civilians as well as defend the palace. Fail either mission, and it's game over.

1 hour ago, henrymidfields said:

Moving on from my previous argument of gameplay to one of plot and characterisation, let's also make Narcian a bigger threat than he was in the original. Roy, foolishly thinking that the main Bernese Army had left, took over Araphen in Chapter 3. Very big mistake, as Narcian decided to check on Slater and by luck, saw an opportunity to ambush Roy and Co at the end of Chapter 3, and begin a long chase. Chapter 4 would essentially become a timed mission in Hard and Lunatic, where Narcian appears to chase Roy after a certain number of turns. (In Normal, Narcian only appears after Roy defeats Erik.) And if the player took too long to clear Chapter 16, Narcian would start preparing the Manaketes to use them to destroy Aqleia as his final form of defiance. Between Chapter 16 and the original paralogue (or Chapter 17 if Douglas dies) another paralogue will be added which will be a Defense chapter. There Narcian would unleash the prepared dragons against Aquleia - Roy and Co will have to assist evacuating civilians as well as defend the palace. Fail either mission, and it's game over.

I really like the idea of him just showing up in a chapter where he didn't appear in the original. Would be a really nice surprise for veterans :D:

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

That's where you're wrong, buddy. Not having that many axes in Jugdral means not being able to really take advantage of the Weapon Triangle properly. The Weapon Triangle was borken as hell in FE4, but you only had so few playable axe users, divided by both generations. In the first generation, i think Lex was your only axe user. Well, Lachesis could use them as Master Knight, but she can also use literally everything that isn't Dark Magic. I think Arden can use axes as a General but he's Arden. So, in the first generation, that's three axe users, two of which can only use axes after promotion. The second generation had Hannibal, Leif (after promotion) and someone else that could use axes. So few axe users to get the advanatge over lance users.

You're making Steel weapons out to be worse than they actually are. I've uses Miledy reliably with a Steel Lance, though that's after promotion (good thing i promote ASAP). Killer Lances may have low uses but they are supposed to. A Killer weapon with a lot of uses would be broken. And i see that you're under the assumption that someone would be playing a ranked run. Not everyone plays for ranked. I personally don't, so grinding in arenas for gold won't affect my playthrough in a negative way.

I'd rather have fun over a game that has decent hit rates for axes and giving good units who can use them than a game giving me horrible axe units combined with low hit rates at that. 

And I did do exactly like how you did promoting her ASAP and in my two playthroughs of normal mode, she wasn't as reliable as I hoped she be. She even had issues dicing the wyverns in chapter 21. I honestly don't know what to believe here with how people think of her as great. 

If you find her great, then use her all you want. All I know is that she will lose a bit of speed holding that steel lance she starts off with as well as having hit issues. Some guys here mentioned that as a problem so I'm only spilling the same beans from what they just told me about that and nothing else.

As for ranked runs, yeah sure not everyone will do it but there are sure as hell some that WILL do it and for them, having nearly useless weapons like the steel ones isn't going to help them out.

2 hours ago, ping said:

I still can't see where you're trying to go. What do you mean by "RNG balance"? What "theory" are you referring to? Where is the connection between random level-ups and your interjection about horrible units? Because the low-tier units of FE6 aren't bad because of RNG, they're bad because their base stats aren't good enough for their join time. Sure, Sophia is obviously a lot more reliant on good level-ups than Niime, but the same (although not as extreme) is true for Allen/Lance and Garret - and I don't think people think that the latter is better than the xmas cavs.

But what about the low growths that many of your units have? 

By RNG, I mean the entire concept itself. Yeah the game can be beaten on 0% growth run but to get RNG screwed is really frustrating in many ways since you went through a whole lot and the game just screws you in the face.

I know that you already mentioned that the game even if your RNG screwed is still possible to beat it throughout but the stats that you need or want are not there and its pretty frustrating in that sense.

Anyways I'm not going to argue about this anymore so I'll stop it here.

Edited by Harvey

RNG purpose is force you use more units and make every playthrough different. It's alright if your unit get screwed, next time it will be broken instead. With wast amount of units there is plenty of replacements.

I think some units should get boost by remake though. Cecilia for example, she is supposed be elite but totally fail, being prepromoted is one thing but she doesn't have even decent base stats (I usually spent all items I get to make her mediocre, but still...). Cath: You go through plenty of pain recruit her and as reward you get like worst sword unit in game (she also should get support with Roy) and several other  examples.

Edited by Tenzen12

If its one thing that I think the remake needs to do, its to make a better presentation of the game.

6 minutes ago, Harvey said:

If its one thing that I think the remake needs to do, its to make a better presentation of the game.

What do you mean by that? Like the UI? Because they're obviously going to do that.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

What do you mean by that? Like the UI? Because they're obviously going to do that.

Pretty much everything except the intro scene.

The way the game starts with blocks of text for narration with little to no interaction between the text scene, how the characters more or less just talk like reading a script instead of doing hardly any sense of acting for their actions, how a lot of the character portraits have different designs than their actual sprites, and some supports having grammar issues such as Gonzo and Bartre.

I guess the UI of the game could also improve but its already as good as it is.

6 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Pretty much everything except the intro scene.

The way the game starts with blocks of text for narration with little to no interaction between the text scene, how the characters more or less just talk like reading a script instead of doing hardly any sense of acting for their actions, how a lot of the character portraits have different designs than their actual sprites, and some supports having grammar issues such as Gonzo and Bartre.

I guess the UI of the game could also improve but its already as good as it is.

Ah I see what you mean. Though it should be noted some of those problems might result more from an amateur translation more so than the game's writing.