Tile Changes with Tiled

Sephiran59

So I've read a million outdated tutorials on this, Nintenlord and Markyjoe taught me how to make and insert the changes with EA, but nobody but arch has any info on coding it.

I have my changes stored at an offset, but I just need someone to tell me how to code it. That complex mappy code that looks like this:

#define TileMap(TCN,X1,X2,L1,L2,TilePointer) "BYTE TCN X1 X2 L1 L2 0 0 0; POIN TilePointer"
#define TileMapEnd "WORD 0xFF 0 0"

cant possibly be the way... but if it is, someone please to god teach me what each piece of it means with tiled. And tell me if I need a tile reference table like the one Arch has in his tutorial. its a broken link though.

Memes aside, any help on this would save my Chapter from doom and I thank you in advance for the trouble. :D:

Ok, so to do tile changes with tiled, you need to create a separate layer for your tile changes(1 layer per tile change).

Then you need to give each of these layers properties:

-ID. Id of tile change. Useful for when you'll call said tile changes using MAC1 id 0.

-X. X coordinates of upper left tile in your layer.

-Y. Same as X but for Y coordinates.

-Width. Width of tile changes.

-Height. Height of tile changes

On 5/6/2017 at 7:02 AM, Kirb1337 said:

Ok, so to do tile changes with tiled, you need to create a separate layer for your tile changes(1 layer per tile change).

Then you need to give each of these layers properties:

-ID. Id of tile change. Useful for when you'll call said tile changes using MAC1 id 0.

-X. X coordinates of upper left tile in your layer.

-Y. Same as X but for Y coordinates.

-Width. Width of tile changes.

-Height. Height of tile changes

I did this long ago and don't get how to code it in EA

you don't need to do anything in particular using ea; the tiled inserter (either nintenlord's one or tmx2EA) will handle it for you

Edited by CT075

On 5/11/2017 at 2:13 AM, CT075 said:

you don't need to do anything in particular using ea; the tiled inserter (either nintenlord's one or tmx2EA) will handle it for you

So just insert it and it should work? There has to be a step I'm missing. The part where it asks where to write the map pointer to and map change pointer to might have something to do with it because I have no clue what those are, I just used what Markyjoe did in his example tutorial

12 hours ago, CT075 said:

Can you clarify something for me? 

I read somewhere that tile change IDs must be ordered depending on the locaion of the change from the left and down. Meaning that if you have a tile change starting from [0,0], one from [8,8], one from [2,2], and one from [1,3]. The order of IDs should be like this (for example):

[0,0] = ID: 0 (literally the very top left tile)

[2,2] = ID: 1 (a few away from the top left)

[1,3] = ID: 2 (the X coordinate may be smaller than the X coordinate before, but its Y coordinate makes this change below it, which means it would come after)

[8,8] = ID: 3

Is this true? 

I don't know if I can be more clear if this question seems complicated. It's just that, even though I've made many maps, I am not sure if this will become an issue or when it is an issue. 

someone else should probably field this one (primefusion???), but in my experience it only matters if they're overlapping. i'm also not 100% sure how the tiled inserter arranges things

I've never heard anything about tile change IDs having to be ordered by location. I'm curious about where you read this.
I've got a map with a 3x2 change at the bottom of the map and it's ID 0x01, with some chests on the left side of the map being like ID 0x06 or 7. Works just fine with the Tiled Inserter.

The only time I've ever heard of some sort of ordering matter is with villages. See here. Doesn't really have anything to do with top-to-bottom location on the map though.

I vaguely remember the old method having something like "the bottommost change takes priority" for overlapping map changes, although I'll admit I don't know how Tiled orders them (I'd presume by ID, which is where this would come in?)

On 5/17/2017 at 10:23 PM, Primefusion said:

I've never heard anything about tile change IDs having to be ordered by location. I'm curious about where you read this.
I've got a map with a 3x2 change at the bottom of the map and it's ID 0x01, with some chests on the left side of the map being like ID 0x06 or 7. Works just fine with the Tiled Inserter.

The only time I've ever heard of some sort of ordering matter is with villages. See here. Doesn't really have anything to do with top-to-bottom location on the map though.

I read it here on a Markyjoe tutorial.

vtGeV4P.png

I haven't always followed this, but sometimes I am paranoid this will affect me at some point.

Edit: I did just realize this is for doors and chests.... I should have come back to this and actually read it before posting. Being so hasty!

Edited by Avril Lavigne
Wanted to make clarification

• 9 months later...

Hi, I'm brand new to this, and extremely late to the party but I have a question that I can't seem to find answered in this thread or any tutorial. For the part on the tiled map inserter that asks for the "Write Map Change Pointer to?:" I have no idea what to put. Using the info page on (http://markyjoe.com/Tutorials/Tiled_Tutorial/Tile Changes Information.html) MarkyJoe's tutorial and I see that there are several map change pointers. How do I decide what is the one to use?

Basically, I want a town to look ruined after I visit it. I'm using tileset 1C1D1E1F - do I have to find a map in game where that tileset is used and there is the possibility of a village being destroyed?

Figured it out.

Edited by nsm91