So...about Bartre...why do people like him?

Harvey

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like him.

FE6 one I mean. The FE7 one is too stupid and also cause I like Dorcas more

Edited by Flee Fleet!

Certainly not right now, been using him mostly to have him ready to face Karla (in a girls only run). HOLY SNAIL TRAILS, he has 5 speed. 5. At level 15.

....I hope that doesn't happen on that run I said I'd do, that'd be terrible.

I can't say I ever particoularly liked hin compared to anyone else, but lately he grew on me since in my latest run he got def blessed almost like the one Mangs has in his run.

On 7/16/2017 at 7:18 PM, Dayni said:

he has 5 speed. 5. At level 15.

Woah. I think he got speed screwed. Mine certainly had more than that- at least above 9.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Portrait_bartre_fe07.pngPortrait_bartre_fe06.png

He's one of the few characters playable in both games and goes through character development from aggressive dumb fighter to a benevolent wise warrior who helps the younger people.

In FE7, Bartre is the best fighter you have, while in FE6, Bartre is an above average prepromote.

Combine with good supports in both games and Bartre being a perfect representation of the Fighter/Warrior class, what is not to like?

Edited by Emperor Hardin

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2017 at 4:54 PM, Emperor Hardin said:

He's one of the few characters playable in both games and goes through character development from aggressive dumb fighter to a benevolent wise warrior who helps the younger people.

In FE7, Bartre is the best fighter you have, while in FE6, Bartre is an above average prepromote.

Combine with good supports in both games and Bartre being a perfect representation of the Fighter/Warrior class, what is not to like?

Errr... what? Geitz and Dorcas still exist.

• 2 weeks later...

Geitz can be skipped if you go the other route and Bartre is better than Dorcas. The only things Dorcas has over Bartre is earlier join time if you do Lyn's story and higher base speed.

On 8/29/2017 at 3:54 PM, Emperor Hardin said:

First Bold: I call bullshit here - Geitz is better, even if he is skippable.

Second bold: In terms of what??? Because I wouldn't call Bartre a perfect representation of anything, ever... 

As for what's not to like, his bases and growths (particularly in FE7). Bleck.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

27 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

First Bold: I call bullshit here - Geitz is better, even if he is skippable.

Second bold: In terms of what??? Because I wouldn't call Bartre a perfect representation of anything, ever... 

As for what's not to like, his bases and growths (particularly in FE7). Bleck.

Why do you keep challenging my specific posts on any subject.

Geitz isn't with you from the beginning and is a hard to get pre promote.

In terms of character, representation, and stats. He's a loud, burly, kinda homely strongman who enjoys fighting and values strength. The wild Fighter gradually becomes a more restrained and intelligent Warrior, who still has some of his ego and wildness inside.

Thats a great representation of the Fighter character type.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

42 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Why do you keep challenging my specific posts on any subject.

Geitz isn't with you from the beginning and is a hard to get pre promote.

In terms of character, representation, and stats. He's a loud, burly, kinda homely strongman who enjoys fighting and values strength. The wild Fighter gradually becomes a more restrained and intelligent Warrior, who still has some of his ego and wildness inside.

Thats a great representation of the Fighter character type.

Because imho, some of the stuff you post ranges from very hard to outright impossible for me to agree with.

True, but at the same time, I don't really see availability as a point in Bartre's favour...

Okay, so it might fit in terms of character, but it definitely doesn't help his case as a unit (and it definitely doesn't help that I have a low opinion of infantry axe classes in general).

3 hours ago, Enaluxeme said:

Geitz can be skipped if you go the other route and Bartre is better than Dorcas. The only things Dorcas has over Bartre is earlier join time if you do Lyn's story and higher base speed.

Being skippable doesn't change the fact Geitz trumps Bartre handily. And Bartre is in no way better than Dorcas. Since he has 3 base speed and doesn't even pass Dorcas' speed until he's level 17.

3 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Because imho, some of the stuff you post ranges from very hard to outright impossible for me to agree with.

True, but at the same time, I don't really see availability as a point in Bartre's favour...

Okay, so it might fit in terms of character, but it definitely doesn't help his case as a unit (and it definitely doesn't help that I have a low opinion of infantry axe classes in general).

What does saying the appeal of Bartre so impossible? Also that post was a while ago.

Thats your opinion.

Characterization can be a major reason people like a character.

4 minutes ago, Titamon said:

Being skippable doesn't change the fact Geitz trumps Bartre handily. And Bartre is in no way better than Dorcas. Since he has 3 base speed and doesn't even pass Dorcas' speed until he's level 17.

Dorcas having higher base speed doesn't make him any better than Bartre when he still can't double anything. All in all, they are the same, and I wouldn't say Bartre's popularity comes from his stats.

8 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

What does saying the appeal of Bartre so impossible? Also that post was a while ago.

Thats your opinion.

Characterization can be a major reason people like a character.

I'm...not understanding what you're trying to say here. Did you leave some words out?

Perhaps, but I just can't really see Bartre being useful, as in making any notable contributions to a fight, especially when his speed base hampers him in a big way (and it doesn't help his case that he's in a game where Fighters get no speed gain on promotion, meaning he's stuck relying on his okay-but-not-great speed growth).

Fair enough.

29 minutes ago, Enaluxeme said:

Dorcas having higher base speed doesn't make him any better than Bartre when he still can't double anything. All in all, they are the same, and I wouldn't say Bartre's popularity comes from his stats.

That speed matters when it's the difference between getting doubled or not. And I never mentioned anything about Bartre's popularity.

In my last playthrough (HHM) my Bartre didn't level speed all that often, yet I never found a situation in the early game when he got doubled and 1-2 points of speed would have made a difference. Both he and Dorcas will be doubled by the same units in the early game, and later on Bartre has more speed. Meanwhile Bartre has higher def and res than Dorcas and just slightly less hp.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2017 at 1:54 PM, Emperor Hardin said:

All of this tbh. Bartre has good supports, is a fun and funny character, and honestly has really good growths (if somewhat undermined by his poor bases). 50% str, 40% speed and 30% def (especially that defense in FE7!) are fairly good growths. Now yes he can get easily RNG boned, but he can also become extremely well rounded and versatile as well. Also you need him to recruit Karla who while functionally useless is a total babe :V

I love his FE6 supports but I'm not a fan of his lame character in FE7. Gameplay-wise, I pretty much go Route A every time (Unless I specifically am planning to use Bartre). I prefer Route A Maps + Echidna over Route B Maps + Bartre. In FE7, his base speed really holds him back, and Dorcas, while also not being that great, is better due to much higher base speed (but still fairly low and won't improve much). Compared to Geitz, idk, since Geitz is annoying to get tbh, especially in efficiency. 

On 8/29/2017 at 3:54 PM, Emperor Hardin said:

In a world where everyone is an edgy mopey mcfly, it's good to have a traditional, hard headed, durable fighter with an axe. But we're talking about two kinds of people here.

Me? I love me some handsome Seth and beautiful Lyn, but Bartre is just as awesome too.

Funnily enough, ask around. People that like Bartre are often the ones that like a diverse sort of characters (and hence happen to like this loud man) while people that don't will often list the Lords with good looking sprites as their favorites.

Edited by ore no stando da