Incredibly low percentage criticals shouldn't happen.

I'm playing a no grinding Hard Classic run for the first time. Got to the Mila Tree.

I had heard this map was pretty hard, but I was doing pretty well so far, cleanly dealing with reinforcements that had shown up, but then disaster struck. Kellam was hit with a crit! What are the odds?! 1%. Oh ok. Well I feel pretty bullshit about that obviously and I'm kind of upset. But I keep going for the sake of an experiment. I wanted to see if I could have handled myself well had I not lost Kellam. Just as my instincts told me, I managed to wipe out the map with nothing lost besides Kellam. Not happy about that revelation but w/e it only makes sense that that'll happen some time right? So I start again and get through after a few tries.

I get to the next chapter. After a couple bad starts I do pretty great! Getting some good level ups for everybody and feelin pretty good. Nearly all of the enemies are dead and it should't take to much to get past them and make my way to the boss! Except...Cherche dies to a crit. What?? Why? What are the chances?

3%.

Is there something going on here? Two lucky crits at such low percentages in the span of two maps?

Either way this is bullshit and shouldn't happen. I vote low percentage criticals just shouldn't happen and they should be considered invalid if the game rolls one or something. It's one thing if you simply screw up because your strategy wasn't sound or something. Or even because ambush reinforcements came out of nowhere and ruined you. At least you can look up a guid beforehand for that, or failing that just plan for it the next time when you know the are coming or plan around it right then and there if they nobody dies (and you get a lot of warnings in this game too). This is just annoying though and not fun in the slightest.

I really wish Mila's Gear was a thing in this game.

Edited by ZoeTrent

The thing is, 3 =/= 0, otherwhise you'd just give everyone +5 free crit avoid. If they disable 1-5% crit rates, youd get salty about your opponent having 6% crit... I mean, yeah it sucks, but it would be silly to treat 3 percent like zero percent. By your reasoning, you should have to treat 70% like 100% as well. Besides, considering the boss doesn't move, by attacking the boss with Cherche, you know you're taking the risk. You could've paired her up for that turn with someone who gives high luck, or let someone else take care of him.

55 minutes ago, athena_57 said:

The thing is, 3 =/= 0, otherwhise you'd just give everyone +5 free crit avoid. If they disable 1-5% crit rates, youd get salty about your opponent having 6% crit... I mean, yeah it sucks, but it would be silly to treat 3 percent like zero percent. By your reasoning, you should have to treat 70% like 100% as well. Besides, considering the boss doesn't move, by attacking the boss with Cherche, you know you're taking the risk. You could've paired her up for that turn with someone who gives high luck, or let someone else take care of him.

I don't think Cherche is necessarily the problem, it could happen with anybody. But yeah, it's an unfortunate thing, but it is what it is...also consider the times when you yourself have a low crit rate, and you get a crit, and how awesome it feels. Sometimes you get somebody who crits when they would kill the enemy without it, and sometimes they kill the enemy because of the crit. So you're either amused because they're showing off or feeling like a badass because you got what you might've needed.

RNG can be a bitch, or it can be a good thing...more often than not it's a bitch though lol.

While we're at it, critical hits and evasion should be gone as well. Proc skills should operate on cooldowns, as well.

...I'd kinda like that, but I don't see it happening. 

1 hour ago, The DanMan said:

While we're at it, critical hits and evasion should be gone as well. Proc skills should operate on cooldowns, as well.

So basically Heroes.

22 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

I don't think Cherche is necessarily the problem, it could happen with anybody.

I didn't mean it's a risk to use Cherche in particular, I meant that on the attack screen you can see the 3% and you know it's a risk, when you might have other units with a higher crit avoid.

21 hours ago, The DanMan said:

I don't agree, for me, looking at the odds of all enemies, doing some math, looking at all the outcomes and their respective possibilities and coming to a decision is the most fun part of Fire Emblem, but eh, to each their own.

EDIT: I might agree on skills procs though, I'm cool with making them work with cooldowns (pun intended) or just removing them entirely

Edited by athena_57