Chapter 18 ENM

John_of_Valentia

This chapter kills me! I had only Uhai left to kill, but my lack of a Rapier and Uhai's good attack led to Oswin dying.

Then, when it was just Uhai and the Nomad next to him, I accidentally moved Fiora, who had already dodged one lethal 81% Nomad shot, into the range of both with no means of rescue. I hate Fog of War.

I remember playing this level for the first time, and losing some unit because I wasn't careful of Uhai's range. This is why thieves are useful, their increased vision in FoW chapters helps tremendously. That, and the torch you are given either during this chapter, or before.

Edited by DragonLord

Thieves and torches are a huge help.  If you poke your head to the east, you'll also spot another Thief with a Torch Staff.

In other words, bring Matthew, even if he's at base level.  Keep him away from the central island, and you should be fine.

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

Thieves and torches are a huge help.  If you poke your head to the east, you'll also spot another Thief with a Torch Staff.

In other words, bring Matthew, even if he's at base level.  Keep him away from the central island, and you should be fine.

I noticed the Thief using Dart's torch, but never could reach him.

I actually keep Matthew near Merlinus to protect him from the Pirates. Since he's underleveled, it helps hom catch up too.

On 5/7/2017 at 3:21 AM, John_of_Valentia said:

I noticed the Thief using Dart's torch, but never could reach him.

I actually keep Matthew near Merlinus to protect him from the Pirates. Since he's underleveled, it helps hom catch up too.

I keep Guy near Merlinus instead.  Matthew has better things to do with his time, like illuminate the entire map.

Some advice for this map.

You are in a map that is fog of war and its going to be a bit tough for you there. The best way to clear this in the fastest possible manner is to use the best units that you have raised and bring them in the frontline. A thief will be very useful here as well since you get the torch.

Uhai is pretty tough. Just make sure you're unit is good enough to tank his attacks both 1-2. Then use all the units to kill him one way or another to finish off.

Another thing to note. Although completely optional, you must complete this chapter in less than 15 turns to unlock the gaiden chapter. But since this is your first playthrough, you can skip it.

If you ask me, neither Guy nor Matthew should be guarding merlinus since you need them both to beat the boss.

Edited by Harvey

If you don't find Marcus to be the Antichrist, consider having him tackle the east side of the map by himself he should get you the Torch Staff no problem. It'll also free up everyone else to handle the west side and the center island, making things easier there.

At 12 Speed, Uhai is kinda on the fast side for this point of the game. Either trick him into using a bow and then rush in, or stab him with your durable lance users. Be careful because at really low HP, Uhai might actually move (for the sake of fleeing to a fort for healing, but he might hit somebody too).

Leave a sword user with Merlinus for sure if you want to defend him, anybody works.

14 hours ago, Harvey said:

Some advice for this map.

You are in a map that is fog of war and its going to be a bit tough for you there. The best way to clear this in the fastest possible manner is to use the best units that you have raised and bring them in the frontline. A thief will be very useful here as well since you get the torch.

Uhai is pretty tough. Just make sure you're unit is good enough to tank his attacks both 1-2. Then use all the units to kill him one way or another to finish off.

Another thing to note. Although completely optional, you must complete this chapter in less than 15 turns to unlock the gaiden chapter. But since this is your first playthrough, you can skip it.

If you ask me, neither Guy nor Matthew should be guarding merlinus since you need them both to beat the boss.

After not playing for two days, I beat in the first try with ease. Got the Torch staff and everything. Even the Gaiden chapter.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, this map kicked my butt on my first ever playthrough way back when. Fog of War is tricky, and there are lots of trees, and you have no idea where Uhai is, and he has a longbow to boot. 

I see you beat it, but I'd also add for future playthroughs that you can get a guaranteed Longsword in the chapter before (on the pirate ship), which is strong against mounted units, so if you don't have a Rapier, Wolf Beil, or Manni Katti, they actually give you a weapon to help against Uhai, which is nice. 

When it comes to Fog of War, ALWAYS use your thief on the move to illuminate, never keep him near Merlinus for defense. You need that vision (and there are more Fog of War maps to come). Use your torches, torch staffs, etc. Very helpful on a first playthrough when you don't know where things are. Other than that, move carefully and don't leave your healers or more fragile units exposed. Be mindful of the map design and where chokepoints are to defend against possible enemy assaults from the darkness. 

Enjoy your first playthrough! I love FE 7, hope you enjoy it, too :)