Do FE games encourage you to use whoever you like to use?

Harvey

Ok I'm just puzzled at this and wondering that since FE tends to give you characters that you like, do every FE game allow you to use whatever units you like to use?

Like say I like to use Ogier throughout FE6 despite him  being just mediocre..can I really use him so can I use him despite him being just unusable even in hard mode?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Harvey said:

So even in hard mode you use him?

Hard Mode is no exception for the best character.

SDQWwTr.png

(Save is on Chapter 16)

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Most of the time, yeah. And it's not like they don't factor in actual difficulty and having some of those characters pull through. Trust me, they know.

Fire Emblem is designed with the intent of every character being usable if you put enough effort into them. Things get messy if you start adding challenges or conditions to your run, however. For example, Amelia is perfectly usable in SS Hard Mode, but not if you're not willing to grind the tower for her.

I use who I want and I don't care. I'm using Fiona, and she was promoted at Chapter 1-E and her Speed and Defense stats were gigantic. I love her and I won't let anyone tell me otherwise.

Mostly yes. There are some units like the aforementioned Sophia that are a complete pain to use, but overall you can use everyone.

Certain characters can be screwed in the long run if they have unimpressive bases and fail to get good levels over and over, but that's it.

FE1 - Since the cap is 20 for all stats, you can use basically everyone. A stat-boost or two will be enough to make even the worst character relevant for the whole game.

FE2 - Because of how promotion works, everyone can have good stats.

FE3 - Like FE1, but even better thanks to growth-boosting items.

FE4 - Some pairings can result in disastrous characters, but even then the right equip can make just about everyone usable.

FE5 - Like FE3.

FE6 - Some units can't stay relevant through the whole game, sadly. Maybe with stat-boosts? Also, Sophia...

FE7 - Everyone is usable from the moment you get them to the last chapter. Everyone. Just keep an energy drop ready if you plan to use Renault.

FE8 - Everyone is usable, and the game is super easy anyway.

FE9 - Everyone is usable, and there are growth-boosting rings(and shield), too. Also, you may level up in the base and reload if the level sucks.

FE10 - You are limited in the choice of characters for most of the game, but the way level-ups in the base works potentially makes everyone unscrewable.

FE11 - Ok, no, someone just sucks so bad in this game.

FE12 - Overall higher bases and growths than FE11, plus growth-boosting items.

FE13 - Infinite levels makes everyone useful, even though not everyone has access to that skill.

FE14 - Never played, dunno.

I mean, i always use Sophia in my Binding Blade playthroughs, so yeah, you can use whoevee you like. It's like playing as Jigglypuff in Smash. She's low-tier as heck, but nothing is stopping you from using her. Those off-stage Rest kills are so worth it btw.

1 hour ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Except Sophia, because screw that struggle

Maybe it's just me, but i actually find it easier to train her in Ch.14x, since you don't have to deal with Fog of War.

Just now, Armagon said:

I mean, i always use Sophia in my Binding Blade playthroughs, so yeah, you can use whoevee you like. It's like playing as Jigglypuff in Smash. She's low-tier as heck, but nothing is stopping you from using her. Those off-stage Rest kills are so worth it btw.

Maybe it's just me, but i actually find it easier to train her in Ch.14x, since you don't have to deal with Fog of War.

I couldn't figure out how to get her trained, since she has a lot of hitting things trouble.  At least Nino is locked to Anima, which helps any accuracy trouble she might run into, Sophia is locked to the worst magic type in FE6, has barely any con, and low base skill of 2.  

5 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I couldn't figure out how to get her trained, since she has a lot of hitting things trouble.  At least Nino is locked to Anima, which helps any accuracy trouble she might run into, Sophia is locked to the worst magic type in FE6, has barely any con, and low base skill of 2.  

There's actually a trick i like to do in Ch.14x. Bascially, there's a Druid with Eclipse. Surround the Druid so that it can't escape, then have Sophia attack it at close-range. The Druid is holding Eclipse, so it can't counterattack. It doesn't matter if Sophia misses 90% of the time, she'll get EXP from just trying. Eventually, when you do kill the Druid with Sophia, she gets a ton of EXP for it. Do the same with the Archers on the map. She usually ends up at around Lv.6-8 by the time the chapter is over, and by then, it's much easier to train her.

Of course, i also tend to save up my stat boosters for her. So some Skill Books and a Body Ring will help.

Don't do this if you're going for LTC.

It depends on the game.

In a FE as easy as Birthright it really doesn't matter who you use. Everyone will do because it takes very long for anything to actively threaten your party. Hinata is often called a below average unit but if you want to use him cause he's so likable then you're free to do so.

Path of Radiance is also on the easy side and the bonus experience ensure that even units who join late can catch up.

Radiant dawn also has bonus experience but its not nearly so encouraging about picking units just because you like him. Tormod is great but he disappears for so long that he's not a viable option. You can give him bonus experience like in POR but because of the massive gap between the chapters he appears it just isn't efficient. And there are lots of units like that. 

Genealogy is also on the negative end of the spectrum due to being horse emblem. A unit like Azelle will do perfectly fine but because he doesn't have a pony you really have to commit to using him and this can sometimes feel a little punishing. 

The strategy aspect of FE kinda clashes with the "use whoever you want" aspect. But ultimately, if you have the will and patience, you can raise up anyone.

Will agree though that some games make that harder than others (though Azelle probably wasn't the best choice for GotW, at least he gets a horse on promotion- not all footsies do).

Just now, Harvey said:

But what about Lillina?

Yes, Actually. But I always get lucky with my Lilina. She always ends up better than my Lugh. I haven't tried the Armour Knights yet on HM. I have used Bors before but he ended up with 14 str at 20/13. So I am never using him again.

I use who I like even if they are a crumby unit, the first time I played RD (I had no idea PoR existed) I ended up using only dawn brigade units in the end game.  I think you can use whoever you want, but sometimes you have to do a lot of work to make the unit be a beast.

I routinely use Wendy just for kicks so I think that's plenty enough. She is heaps of fun to use if you bother to put the effort in. The same goes for most mediocre characters really.

Not really, no. Not when some units are really bad while others are really good. And in a few cases, bad units are forced. I'm forced to use Micaiah even though I hate her and she's a terrible unit.

I would prefer to use who I like, but sometimes characters I like suck as well. Like Fiona in RD.

I can use some characters I like, but not all. This is the only thing I don't really like about FE.

Sometimes yes, and other times not really. Genealogy and Sword of Seals are those that I find guilty of character select forcing, to some extent. Some others force bad units on the player (Sword of Seals again, Radiant Dawn [which forces Ranulf's deployment for most of Ike's chapters despite him being godawful, not to mention 4-4 in the same game]).

Majority yes, even in cases where a character starts off terrible there is virtually always a way to get them going. Of the games I've played I think FE12's higher difficulties are the most discouraging due to the unrelenting stat curve and perpetual 11 or 12 deployment maximum.

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Radiant dawn also has bonus experience but its not nearly so encouraging about picking units just because you like him. Tormod is great but he disappears for so long that he's not a viable option.

Seeing as I found a way to make Vika a viable option, I'm sure you could do the same for Tormod.