So... what about Atlas?

So at this point, everybody knows the recommended classes for the four starting villagers. But it seems like everybody forgets that there's another villager out there: Atlas. What's his best starting class? I kinda want to go Cavalier with him, but is that a good idea overall?

probably merc is good to fix his speed and skill issues. but even then hes overall a weird one. Mage Atlas could totally work as you don't need skill to really hit stuff but he won't be doubling much

The issue with Atlas is that he tends to be outclassed by everybody. Mercenary is best for him but Celica's already got 3 Mercenaries+4 if you make Atlas one+5 if you recruit Deen. He probably gets doubled a lot as a Soldier. Mage can be good for him thanks to fixed hitrates but he ain't doubling much. Plus, he's kinda just stuck with Fire and doesn't learn new spells for a long time. And Celica's route is flooded with mages.

As an Archer or Cavalier, he faces very little compeition, as Leon and Masked Knights are the only Archers and Cavaliers respectivly in Celica's route. He also faces little competition as Soldier but Valbar does a better job at it.

So basically, Mercenary, Archer, or Cavalier are his best options.

In both of my playthroughs, I've made him a Soldier, and it really works well with him. Until he gets to Baron, I've left him equipped with Shields, his base Str keeps his head above the water while he waits to get the boosts from Tier 3, then I gave him a 5* Steel Lance and he was easily one of my best damage dealers on Hard.

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

The issue with Atlas is that he tends to be outclassed by everybody. Mercenary is best for him but Celica's already got 3 Mercenaries+4 if you make Atlas one+5 if you recruit Deen. He probably gets doubled a lot as a Soldier. Mage can be good for him thanks to fixed hitrates but he ain't doubling much. Plus, he's kinda just stuck with Fire and doesn't learn new spells for a long time. And Celica's route is flooded with mages.

As an Archer or Cavalier, he faces very little compeition, as Leon and Masked Knights are the only Archers and Cavaliers respectivly in Celica's route. He also faces little competition as Soldier but Valbar does a better job at it.

So basically, Mercenary, Archer, or Cavalier are his best options.

I don't know why you'd argue that Atlas is redundant as a Merc in Celica's route, then IMMEDIATELY recommend he become a Mage. You get the same amount of Mages as you do Mercs in Celica's route.

At that point, you might as well pick the class that fixes Atlas' problems more directly, which would be Merc. His crazy high strength would carry him pretty far as a Merc, even if he won't be doubling until Myrmidon.

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

I don't know why you'd argue that Atlas is redundant as a Merc in Celica's route, then IMMEDIATELY recommend he become a Mage. You get the same amount of Mages as you do Mercs in Celica's route.

At that point, you might as well pick the class that fixes Atlas' problems more directly, which would be Merc. His crazy high strength would carry him pretty far as a Merc, even if he won't be doubling until Myrmidon.

I didn't word it properly i guess, but i pointed out the downsides to Atlas being a mage.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

but he ain't doubling much. Plus, he's kinda just stuck with Fire and doesn't learn new spells for a long time. And Celica's route is flooded with mages.

Just now, Armagon said:

I didn't word it properly i guess, but i pointed out the downsides to Atlas being a mage.

Fair enough.

Anyway, yeah, I'm gonna go with Merc. Cavalier and Archer don't really address his problems, and Soldier more or less negates his one redeeming trait. Mage leaves him with a bad spell list. Pretty much just leaves Merc. He'll at least hit harder than any of the other Mercs in Celica's route while also having decent speed and skill.

Atlas belongs in the Benchmaster class.

The only two decent classes for him are the very same ones that Celica has way too many of. You could use him to fill gaps, like Cavalier or Soldier, but he doesn't do a particularly great job with them because they do nothing to fix his problems. There is thus no reason to use Atlas unless forced to do so (by the game, by your libido, or whatever else.) Merc is probably the best bet in such a case.

58 minutes ago, iavasechui said:

what about fixing his speed as merc then eventually making him a cav/archer after going through the dreadfighter villager loop once?

I thought about that, but truth be told, there are plenty of units who can become great without a whole lot of grinding. I haven't played the game yet, so it's not like I'm particularly attached to any of the characters yet.

I have no experience with Atlas personally, but everyone I've spoken to(admittedly not a large group) says that he does best as an archer, because the only other archer is Leon, and Leon focuses more on defense. Which archers shouldn't be put into danger in the first place. The growths on the wiki support this as well.

Really anything but soldier does him well.

Merc fixes all his problems, and despite the fact Celica already will have 3 mercs, 4 if you choose Deen, you can never have too many mercs.

Mage is also pretty good. His shitty hit rate is fixed by magic and he gets rescue, a very useful spell. Though, his usefulness may vary depending on if you grind or not.

Cav and archer can be good too and if you don't want to be overcrowded by mercs or mages, then one of these could work. As an archer, he will be pretty decent, though will struggle to hit and as a cav, he will fill a whole as with the exception of -insert spoilers here-, he will be the only cav Celica has which can give him a decent niche.

Overall, just go merc if you want the easiest route if you use him, and never go soldier.

I say make him a merc. Pretty much he makes a good dread fighter because everyone makes a good dread fighter. Either that or be patient and get an archer. I don't know what is witth the people that want to make him a cavalier because in my opinion the only good horsed units in the game are Zeke and Mycen. Clive and Mathilda will always fall behind. Mathilda will be great at first, but at least for me, she drops off in the middle of chapter 4. Not counting pegusus knights that is.

I think archer is his best class. When I made him one in gaiden, he was incredibly useful for chip damage, allowing units like celica to easily KO various enemies. He did have a few problems hitting things, but this issue was hardly exclusive to him.

I'll probably make him a mercenary in this game to try something different. He seems a bit outclassed in that role, especially since his growths aren't the best, but I feel like he'll be servicable. I'm planning to give him some star shards from the DLC to patch up some of his weaker areas like skill and speed as well.