Favorite FE7 Support(s)?

Macko

In the whole fandom, Fire Emblem 7 is probably one of the most hated FE for the maps and "bad story" and, by the other side, the most loved thanks to the characters, maybe soundtracks and obviously because, huh, childhood?

Anyway. Something undeniable is that the supports of the game are pretty nice for different reasons. And now, what are your favorites supports of this game?

Mine are Canas/Renault and Heath/Priscilla.

BTW, I know that it's off-topic with FE7, but can't avoid say that if Judgrall had supports at this style were amazing.

9 minutes ago, Macko said:

Fire Emblem 7 is probably one of the most hated FE for the maps and "bad story" and

FE7's one of the most popular games in the series overall, hahaha. I don't think people overall hate the maps THAT much.  The story, maybe.  

Best support is Erk/Nino for me.  It's adorable.  And my favorite support for both of them.  Actually I quite like Erk's supports in general.

Also anything with Canas except Vaida.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

5 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

FE7's one of the most popular games in the series overall, hahaha. I don't think people overall hate the maps THAT much.  The story, maybe. 

Well. For be honest, I'm in a great part of spanish and a little part of italian too fandom of the franchise, and I've seen a lot, a LOT of hate for Fire Emblem 7, and as I said, is loved too, but in greater quantity. Maybe for that, here or in other side, FE7 isn't very hated.

I have to admit that the Spanish fandom is toxic sometimes and throw sand to FE7 for whatever.

And nice supports. I like them too.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

00000000.jpg.fc9b8e250292715dc28437f6dc3e5eae.jpg

1 minute ago, Macko said:

Well. For be honest, I'm in a great part of spanish and a little part of italian too fandom of the franchise, and I've seen a lot, a LOT of hate for Fire Emblem 7, and as I said, is loved too, but in greater quantity. Maybe for that, here or in other side, FE7 isn't very hated.

I have to admit that the Spanish fandom is toxic sometimes and throw sand to FE7 for whatever.

I can't claim to know much about the Spanish/Italian fandoms, so yeah.  I just know it's pretty well liked here, though it does have some detractors.  Don't worry, the English fandom can get pretty bad too.

FE7 is middle of the road when it comes to maps, maybe upper mid on a good day. BBD is the one heavily despised (I like the idea though), NoF which follows it is terrible on the terrain front too, but not bad. 19xx is a chore to get to, and Living Legend is a challenge if you're playing on HHM or with ranks or accessing Genesis in mind. HHM Genesis, VoL, and CoD are also nasty, but generally not too complained about. FE7 was at least a major improvement over FE6's endless seizes.

I was going to rate everyone in FE7 based on their supports, but I never got around to it due to the sheer number of them.

Overall, I get the sense that like in FE9, which I did fully rate, that we've dud supports and dud characters, alongside much better or at least averagely executed ones.

Harken and Rath are duds, so is Vaida (save for her Heath).

Canas is very good outside of Bartre and Vaida (CanasxPent is king). Pent is also wonderful. Renault's worth is almost entirely in his good supports. I like Lucius too.

SerraxHector should be a pairing. I'm not overly fond of her, but I do think the two would make a nice couple. Though the friendship of LuciusxSerra isn't bad either. 

Thinking about this made me realize how much less I care for the supports of this game compared to more recent games. They're largely just gameplay tools to me, I can't think of many that I like. Matthew/Guy is quite funny, as well as Serra/Lucius. I can't think of many serious supports that did much for me.

1 hour ago, Macko said:

mm, do people around there really hate it that much? it's fairly well liked around here. even though the story isn't really held in high regard, the only maps i've seen people around here commonly complain about are battle before dawn and cog of destiny

anyway, I really, really like the supports in this game. they're probably my absolute favorites in the series aside from maybe path of radiance. what I really liked here was how well the support pairs were picked, a lot of the character interactions feel really natural and I think they did a really good job deciding which characters should talk to which. i almost always felt like the characters who talked to each other had a reason to be talking

some of my favorites are erk and nino, wil and lyn, ninian and florina, eliwood and lyn, and serra and hector

i could probably talk for a really long time about all the supports I like and why I like them but that'd take too long and no one would read the whole thing

It's been awhile since I've read the supports but uh

I do recall liking Kent/Farina a lot, and Kent/Lyn, and Kent/Sain, I think a lot of Kent supports for some reason

and Karla/Bartre solely for how the a support ends

that's all I can remember right now

38 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

"Blazing Sword is the most hated for its maps and story"

"Hold my beer!" -Revelation

i mean, there is a big difference between "one of the most hated" and "the most hated"

Wallace X Lyn support is a bit touching.

Then there's Hector X Oswin support as well!

Oh and how can anyone forget Serra X Sain support?

The supports in this game are nicely done all in all. There's really not a whole lot of them that are plain and simple.

5 hours ago, Macko said:

"bad story"

The story is well thought out atleast for Nintendo standards..yeah, its a bit light hearted but I personally like it enough to say that its not bad at all..just different.

13 hours ago, Shadowess said:

It's been awhile since I've read the supports but uh

I do recall liking Kent/Farina a lot, and Kent/Lyn, and Kent/Sain, I think a lot of Kent supports for some reason

and Karla/Bartre solely for how the a support ends

that's all I can remember right now

Because Kent! :D

Kent/Farina is probably my favourite. It's possibly one of my favourite  supports out of all the games, but I may be hugely biased since I adore both characters.

I remember liking a lot of the supports, although I can't think of them off the top of my head ^.^'' I tend to prefer funny supports, although sweet and serious ones also get me. I remember very much liking Serra and Lucius' support. I often ship them in any fiction I do of FE7 ^.^

Edit: Never realised FE7 was thought to have a bad story. I always enjoyed it, but oh well. Different folks, different strokes and all that clichéd jazz.

Edited by Cute Chao

To this day, I consider Kent/Fiora the gold standard for how to do a romantic support and do it correctly. 

And Renault the gold-standard of how to take an otherwise obscure character with not a whole lot of facetime or lore behind him outside his supports, and make him an always-memorable fan favorite by just making all of his supports AMAZING.

At some point I'm going to have to go on a rant about why I think FE7 actually did romantic supports better then Awakening and Fates--despite the later games obviously pushing them much more with the focus on hitting S-rank and unlocking future children--and what the new games can learn from what FE7's supports did right.

Because holy shit--FE7 did a lot right that the new games got wrong.

On 5/15/2017 at 3:13 AM, Harvey said:

Like?

The fundamental problem with the supports in the newer games is that idea that everyone has to be able to fuck EVERYONE.

This leads to a quantity-over-quality approach where you have maybe 2 or 3 well-written supports on average for each character. Where we learn something about their character or get some world building or an important piece of lore.

… And then there’s just a wall of slice-of-life filler that repeats and reuses the same scenarios and the same character gimmicks over and over and over again.

-Effie is working out. Now she’s hungry

-Felicia dropped something

-Arthur has an unfortunate accident

-Camilla loves Corrin

-Gaius wants candy

-Kellam can’t be seen

-Character A challenges Character B to a “lets see who can do such-and-such better!” contest.

The overuse of tropes and cookie cutter scenarios in filler supports creates the feel that this isn’t a relatable cast of characters you can get emotionally invested it—they’re cartoon characters. Caricatures.

And that in-and-of-itself can ruin an entire story. If you can’t relate to the characters as characters and get emotionally invested in their struggles.

This is particularly egregious in the romantic supports. Most of which essentially boil down to:

C = *cut-and paste trope convo. nothing establishing any kind of romantic capability or attraction*

B = *cut-and-paste trope convo. nothing establishing any kind of romantic capability or attraction*

A = *cut-and-paste trope convo. nothing establishing any kind of romantic capability or attraction*

S = “I’m in love with you. Lets get married.”

…Which again makes it feel like we aren’t dealing with a relatable cast of characters with real emotions and real struggles. It ruins emotional investment in the story.

If you are in a random group of 40 people, you should be romantically compatible with like 5 of them. Tops.

Basically the number of supports and romantic pairings Chrom had in Awakening is the upper limit of what a character should have, IMO. And that makes the available choice of relationships feel more real; like you’re actually narrowing down your pool of potential partners to persons you are compatible with, and that compatibility is another dimension of your character.

…look at Gaius’s support with Maribelle. It gives you backstory and lore and Ylissean politics. It fleshes out the characters and builds their depth. With that there’s an established reason why these two characters should be drawn together; a uniqueness to their relationship built up in C/B/A that makes it feel like it could be a real foundation for S.

THAT’S WHAT A SUPPORT CHAIN IS SUPPOSED TO BE

If Felicia was a character in FE7, her supports would have given us some manner of lore and world building on the ice tribe (the way Pegasus knight supports give us lore and world building on Ilia). Her thoughts about basically being a hostage and indentured servant. How she still maintains such a bright attitude.

At the end of it all she’d feel like a person and we’d have some extra lore on the world of Fates.

…we get 10 conversations that start with Felica dropping plates and then go on about how clumsy she is…

…If Renault were a character in Fates, he would be a Fuga or a Shura. He’d have one (1) support with the avatar, that ends in him stroking Corrin’s cock.

…we would never have gotten his mercenary backstory or connection to Nergal’s morphs.  (at most we’d get a few tidbits of “I wasn’t always a man of the cloth…I use to be violent.” Between Corrin telling him that he admires his courage and feels his pain)

What FE7 did right was give every character a limited number of, supports. Load those supports with backstory, lore, worldbuilding, and non-repetitive + non-tropy relationships that add depth to characters, rather than making them look like cartoon characters.

Kent had three (3) romantic options: Fiora, Lyn, and Farina. There’s a reason for Kent to be associated with and attracted to each of those characters. The relationships each progress in their own way and feel organic to the characters involved.

Those relationships would not have felt as real and it would have been a demerit to Kent’s character—he’s a chivalrous knight who scolds Sain for being a flagrant skirt chaser—If he could also romantically support with Rebecca. And Serra. And Priscilla. And Ninian. And Florina. And Nino…

Priscilla has three (3) romantic options: Heath, Guy, and Erk. Again…each one developed in its own way. That’s enough. And from that we get a deeper sense of what her character is based on the type of men she’s romantically compatible with.  

And she’s able to have support convos with Lucius and Oswin that don’t end in romance but just build character (and it the case of her convo with Oswin more worldbuilding and lore—we learn from him about the fall of house Cornwell, and get more of a sense that the Lycian League is a country with history and politics and current events rather than just pixels where battles take place)

Imagine that! Support chains between male and female characters that are just there to build lore and character—not to force romance!

It wouldn’t have made any god-damn sense for the support convos in FE7 to try and force romance into Priscilla/Oswin or Priscilla/Lucius

For fucks sake; Lucius is gay for her brother!

If Priscilla was a character in FE Fates, the game would have tried to force an S-support into her relationships with Oswin and Lucius.  

…and it is here worth noting that FE7 does it all with only C/B/A.

There are no S supports in Fe7.

But if there were, every character that could S support would have the plausible groundwork for a romantic relationship established by their A support, before hitting S, and the profession of love in the S support would flow naturally therefrom.   

I’m ranting. There’s more I want to say, but this is already a very long post. So I’ll wrap it up here, see what kind of response this gets, and further rant accordingly.

The main thing is that the new games have to get back to quality-over-quantity. Everyone doesn’t need to support with everyone. Better to have a smaller number of very well written supports then to cheapen characters with gimmicks and cut-and-paste.   

16 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

The fundamental problem with the supports in the newer games is that idea that everyone has to be able to fuck EVERYONE.

No not really. Say'ri can't have supports with anyone but Tiki and Robin. 

The idea of Awakening having kids is the main thing about them and a pretty cool concept that can also be ignored since even the first gen units are good enough.

All of Bartre's supports are amazing, most of them are people trying to comprehend his antics but it really showcases Bartre without him being reduced to a single gimmick.

21 minutes ago, Harvey said:

No not really. Say'ri can't have supports with anyone but Tiki and Robin

The idea of Awakening having kids is the main thing about them and a pretty cool concept that can also be ignored since even the first gen units are good enough.

Thats the other problem: the all-our-nothing approach to supports. Everyone supports with everyone in the  "main cast,"--the babymakers--which results in an overabundance of unnecessary and poorly written supports that dilute instead of enrich the characters.

...And then you have an auxiliary cast of characters that supports with nobody but the avatar. And that just serves to further the idea that the avatar is the center of the universe and everyone loves him; which is already overdone to the point of irritation. 

The Floras, Scarlets, and Shuras...criminally underdeveloped and underused characters deserving at the very least of the same support treatment as a Vaida or a Geitz or an Isadora.

Like I'm sorry...Its absolutely inexcusable that Scarlet can't support with Ryoma in birthright. Or that Flora can't support with Jakob and Felicia, and Shura can't support with Saizo and Azura.  

Edited by Shoblongoo

11 minutes ago, Shin said:

All of Bartre's supports are amazing, most of them are people trying to comprehend his antics but it really showcases Bartre without him being reduced to a single gimmick.

The support where Canas attempts to educate Bartre and Bartre tries to eat a book is one of the all time greats. 

Edited by Shoblongoo

5 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

C = *cut-and paste trope convo. nothing establishing any kind of romantic capability or attraction*

B = *cut-and-paste trope convo. nothing establishing any kind of romantic capability or attraction*

A = *cut-and-paste trope convo. nothing establishing any kind of romantic capability or attraction*

S = “I’m in love with you. Lets get married."

To be fair, it's not like pairs in games preceding FEs 13 and 14 aren't susceptible to this kind of support dialogue issue. Cases in point: Sain/Rebecca, Hector/Florina, and every single support of Serra's that results in a paired ending.

On 5/16/2017 at 11:23 PM, Shin said:

Idk..I mean, his support with Raven doesn't seem to do that much. Still decent though.