*STORY SPOILERS* Thoughts on the Masked Knight?

Masked Knight Character Poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Conrad?

• Yes
    • No
    • In-between
    • I don't care for him at all

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Well, I think everyone's following Celica simply out of loyalty.

There's a very big difference between loyalty and unquestionable faith and unproportional gratitude. I'm sure Celica's new friends think she's a swell girl, but they're really, really going out of their way to repay their favors without raising even a single complaint about not knowing what the hell they're actually fighting for.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Thane said:

There's a very big difference between loyalty and unquestionable faith and unproportional gratitude. I'm sure Celica's new friends think she's a swell girl, but they're really, really going out of their way to repay their favors without raising even a single complaint about not knowing what the hell they're actually fighting for.

I think they do know what they're fighting for, though; Celica's army does have specific goals at each turn. After the first goal of "arrive at the Temple of Mila", they found out that Mila has been captured and sealed in the Tower of Duma, so Celica decides that the only way to save Valencia is to go rescue Mila. Everyone was present for that, so they knew why exactly they were going to the Tower. Mila is definitely significant to pretty much everyone present except the Whitewings (who understand the power and importance of dragons), Kamui (who still just tags along with Valbar), Saber (but swore loyalty to Celica), so I can see why they would decide to take up this fight.

The part that Celica doesn't tell anyone is that she is told by Jedah that if she sacrifices herself, everyone else traveling with her, as well as Alm, would be spared completely.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

The part that Celica doesn't tell anyone is that she is told by Jedah that if she sacrifices herself, everyone else traveling with her, as well as Alm, would be spared completely.

Yes, and that's what's bothering me. Saber and Conrad see her dealing with the enemy, yet don't push her as hard as they should, and Jedah even personally bloody attacks them later on anyway! I'm pretty sure that would lead to some dissent and questions.

Just now, Thane said:

Yes, and that's what's bothering me. Saber and Conrad see her dealing with the enemy, yet don't push her as hard as they should, and Jedah even personally bloody attacks them later on anyway! I'm pretty sure that would lead to some dissent and questions.

Mhmm, I see. Saber did just place his full trust in Celica. I personally don't think that's a bad thing for his character and the story, though, since it's part of how he developed. He was still pretty worried, but he let it go.

iirc, Conrad's reveal scene did have him confront Celica about the whole gig, and he made her promise that she wouldn't throw her life away. She did it anyway, and I think Conrad even called her out for breaking the promise. But yeah...Conrad did nothing lol.

He was still pretty worried, but he let it go.

Pretty out of character for a grizzled veteran soldier and sellsword if you ask me, which is one of the reasons why it bothers me.

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

But yeah...Conrad did nothing lol.

Story of his life.

Just now, Thane said:

Pretty out of character for a grizzled veteran soldier and sellsword if you ask me, which is one of the reasons why it bothers me.

Celica's personality and charisma really softened him up, I guess. He didn't give two hoots about anything when he first joined the party, but then he ended up as the team dad. This whole journey is basically uncharacteristic of him, and it's all because of Celica.

Celica's personality and charisma really softened him up, I guess. He didn't give two hoots about anything when he first joined the party, but then he ended up as the team dad. This whole journey is basically uncharacteristic of him, and it's all because of Celica.

That'd be nice if it weren't contrasted with him not pushing her on her dealings with Jedah.

I know I sound like a broken record, and maybe I missed something that would help me understand this better, but this part of the story really doesn't sit well with me, and it reflects poorly on Celica and her entire squad.

Just now, Thane said:

That'd be nice if it weren't contrasted with him not pushing her on her dealings with Jedah.

I know I sound like a broken record, and maybe I missed something that would help me understand this better, but this part of the story really doesn't sit well with me, and it reflects poorly on Celica and her entire squad.

As far as plot details go, I don't think you're missing anything. Not fully understanding dialogue could make you perceive character relationships differently, maybe? Or maybe you're not a fan of the JRPG "I believe in you" stuff? I think I'm kinda lenient on that kind of thing when it comes to stories, though.

As far as plot details go, I don't think you're missing anything. Not fully understanding dialogue could make you perceive character relationships differently, maybe? Or maybe you're not a fan of the JRPG "I believe in you" stuff? I think I'm kinda lenient on that kind of thing when it comes to stories, though.

Belief is fine. Not being alarmed that your leader is dealing with the enemy and refusing to tell you why while leading you straight into his lair is another. I feel like Fire Emblem in general is a bit too keen on blind faith as opposed to normal loyalty.

1 minute ago, Thane said:

Belief is fine. Not being alarmed that your leader is dealing with the enemy and refusing to tell you why while leading you straight into his lair is another. I feel like Fire Emblem in general is a bit too keen on blind faith as opposed to normal loyalty.

Fair. Faith in the Lord is everywhere in FE, yeah. People are willing to do dumb things when ordered by a really charismatic leader in real life, but it'd probably be for the better if FE didn't operate like that.