SoV Gameplay Analyses

Hmm, based on your analysis on the villagers as mages, sounds like fielding mages is pretty much gimping your gameplay performance in this game. A good strategist optimises all their resources afterall and I intend to roleplay that.

Can they actually be salvageable if you put special effort to give them level parity to the physicals though? Send Cav/Flier front and skip EP nons-stop Fire Emblem style is slowly wearing me thin on the series. Having equal movement to armours though...and it sounds like their damage doesn't compensate.

Have a new analysis up. This time on the leveling up Clerics and how far do you need to go with them.

8 hours ago, Rothene said:

Hmm, based on your analysis on the villagers as mages, sounds like fielding mages is pretty much gimping your gameplay performance in this game. A good strategist optimises all their resources afterall and I intend to roleplay that.

Can they actually be salvageable if you put special effort to give them level parity to the physicals though? Send Cav/Flier front and skip EP nons-stop Fire Emblem style is slowly wearing me thin on the series. Having equal movement to armours though...and it sounds like their damage doesn't compensate.

Fielding a mage isn't really gimping your gameplay performance. Having a Mage for chapter 1 is a pretty amazing thing if they are able to double and speed up the gameplay entirely as otherwise the first chapter would be a total slog until the Lightning Sword. Chapter 3 they aren't as effective since they just get left behind in the dust so much by the Paladins and Falcos. They can usually find something to do during these maps though like find some close enemy or take on a side group. They can make a small comeback in chapter 4 once you get the Magic and Speed Ring. They are the best units to tackle enemy Armors and Barons as their physical bulk is just to insane for normal units to take on so the mages find a good amount of use then. Once Tatiana gets Warp as well, you can start warping twice the amount of units and that can give the mages a chance to get warped into action. They also do well in dungeons where the movement isn't as big of a deal.

I figured Tobin was a solid mage by virtue of early Excalibur, but I didn't think that it would actually push him into the best spot.  Really cool!

These are awesome guides by the way.  The villager and forging ones especially.

25 minutes ago, Xaltago said:

I figured Tobin was a solid mage by virtue of early Excalibur, but I didn't think that it would actually push him into the best spot.  Really cool!

These are awesome guides by the way.  The villager and forging ones especially.

Glad you enjoy them. I will be doing a promotion guide for the rest of the villagers and then that is probably all of the analyses I'll do unless there is a topic I haven't thought of that I feel could use a good analysis.

5 hours ago, Shephen said:

Apologies again for the double post, but I have another analysis for today

The Villager Tobin - Going through all of Tobin's promotion options and looking at his performance in each one.

I agree with this analysis, but I still think I'll go with Cavalier! or Archer!Tobin for HM. I get that Mage!Tobin in Ch.1 is a godsend, but he'll fall behind once you run into the later chapters. I want a mage that'll be a worthwhile investment in the long run so I can easily wipeout the enemy barons that appear in Ch.4. So, I'll go with Mage!Kliff and give him 2 speed boosts at the Thieve's Shrine and Alm or Silque the other one. Hopefully the RNG is on my side. I'll let you know how that turns out. :P

Edited by Leif

4 minutes ago, Leif said:

I agree with this analysis, but I still think I'll go with Cavalier! or Archer!Tobin for HM. I get that Mage!Tobin in Ch.1 is a godsend, but he'll fall behind once you run into the later chapters. I want a mage that'll be a worthwhile investment in the long run so I can easily wipeout the enemy barons that appear in Ch.4. So, I'll go with Mage!Kliff and give him 2 speed boosts at the Thieve's Shrine and Alm or Silque the other one. Hopefully the RNG is on my side. I'll let you know how that turns out. :P

Tobin has the better long term thanks to physic. Kliff actually can't orko Barons with Aura unless he has 18 Atk which he averages at like level 14 Sage. The only way a mage is really killing a Baron in one round is if they crit with Excalibur, which Tobin is also better at since he has Gray support which grants +Crit. Kliff is better off as an Archer or Cavalier than a Mage.

3 hours ago, Shephen said:

Tobin has the better long term thanks to physic. Kliff actually can't orko Barons with Aura unless he has 18 Atk which he averages at like level 14 Sage. The only way a mage is really killing a Baron in one round is if they crit with Excalibur, which Tobin is also better at since he has Gray support which grants +Crit. Kliff is better off as an Archer or Cavalier than a Mage.

Welp, you won me over. I'll give Mage!Tobin a chance then and go with Archer!Kliff. I guess I'll miss the extended range of spells like Arrow and Thunder, but Excalibur is the best spell and I believe there's a ring that can extend Excalibur's range with the "sorcery" passive. 

So...

Mercenary!Gray

Cleric!Faye

Mage!Tobin

Archer!Kliff

...is the way to go?

1 minute ago, Leif said:

So...

Mercenary!Gray

Cleric!Faye

Mage!Tobin

Archer!Kliff

...is the way to go?

That would be the most optimal promotion set. Cavalier!Kliff could work instead of Archer!Kliff. I will be posting an analysis on Faye and Kliff tomorrow that go indepth into their options.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the fork since you have to back track or do some extra grinding to make use of it. Mae would be the best use of it however.

Also, new analysis is up.

Lion Well Boost - Some recommendations for how to use the free stat boosts that are present throughout the game

Funny how Kliff and Tobin are basically flipped in recommendations.

You say final guides, so I'm guessing, from reading them, that Gray should just be a mercenary.  No need for a whole guide just to say he's a worse choice in everything but merc. I suppose.

42 minutes ago, Xaltago said:

Funny how Kliff and Tobin are basically flipped in recommendations.

You say final guides, so I'm guessing, from reading them, that Gray should just be a mercenary.  No need for a whole guide just to say he's a worse choice in everything but merc. I suppose.

Yeah thought about it, and Gray being a Merc isn't that big of an idea that needs a big analysis. He would be aight as a Cav, and then the worst at pretty much everything as a Mage, Soldier and Cavalier.

I noticed your reddit thread on passing items between Celica and Alm makes no mention of Alm's early chapter 1 Dragonshield. Is it because the item can't be passed, or because you think it inefficient to obtain and/or use?

I think somebody like Mage Atlas could use the item for extra bulk while OHKOing with Arrow/Fire at 1-2 range since he has no speed anyway. Boey might enjoy it too. Theorycrafting though. 

On 5/13/2017 at 10:49 PM, Shephen said:

Faye would be super underleveled at that point and her stats would be really bad making her a liability for the most part. Genny is fine as a sole cleric on Celica's route since she can either use Invoke or Physics to get out of most situations. Celica also gets recover fairly early for the heals, a lot of equipment the army has gives passive recovery, and there is Nomah and promoted Mae/Boey for some more heals. Faye is more useful as a Cleric on Alm's side helping Silque who is the only healer until Tatiana or a Sage promotion both of which happen fairly late.

What about leaving Kliff for Celica's side? Could he fill any area that could be needed for Celica, or is he just redundant for them even with grinding?

5 hours ago, Espinosa said:

I noticed your reddit thread on passing items between Celica and Alm makes no mention of Alm's early chapter 1 Dragonshield. Is it because the item can't be passed, or because you think it inefficient to obtain and/or use?

I think somebody like Mage Atlas could use the item for extra bulk while OHKOing with Arrow/Fire at 1-2 range since he has no speed anyway. Boey might enjoy it too. Theorycrafting though. 

I think it is pretty inefficient to get the shield. Also I don't think it is a very good item since the -10 Spd kill pretty much everyone's offense outside of Mage!Atlas who can do just fine with an Iron or Steel Shield. If Boey is actually being used as a unit then he probably got Spd boosts from the start of chapter 2 and his offense is pretty fine then.

3 hours ago, Tolvir said:

What about leaving Kliff for Celica's side? Could he fill any area that could be needed for Celica, or is he just redundant for them even with grinding?

Kliff doesn't really fill anything for Celica. You have plenty of Mercs and Mages already. Leon is pretty great as an archer. Cav would be pretty nice, but not really needed. Soldier is a Soldier.