Alola starters and how they're distributed

Dragoncat

This is basically a "need ideas" thread. I'm working on an OC and I kinda hit a road block here. I need a way for her to get her starter, a female litten who she names Chaos. Hala gives out starters in the game, but the way things are going, my OC would be far from Melemele Island when she gets her starter. Also I'd like to do something different for originality. Here's everything I have so far that's relevant:

Her parents are Nanu and a secretary at some business (don't know what yet) named Keala. She was conceived shortly before a time when Nanu had to leave for International Police stuff after they'd been dating for awhile. She was raised mostly by her mom until she was around 6, and due to the constant traveling Nanu had to do, they ended up just having joint custody. Long distance relationships aren't for everyone.

Up until she hit the teen years, she would bring stray meowths home just about every time she was with her dad. He would name them after whatever day of the week or month it was at the time. One of the meowths, a female named April, took a liking to her more than the rest so she ended up taking her with her.

She hangs around with Acerola a lot, they're childhood friends.

Her mom lives on Akala Island near Royal Avenue. She (not the mom) is real interested in the Battle Royale and kind of idolizes the Masked Royal. She competes in it whenever she can. She was also born on Akala.

Her third team member is Mo, a male skitty. He was imported from Hoenn by her dad. He was there for business purposes and brought him back as a surprise gift as a nod to all the cats she brought him over the years.

Her name is Twila.

In case you need a memory refresher, Nanu is kahuna of UlaUla Island. Melemele: Hala. Akala: Olivia. Poni: Hapu. Nanu is also a cop and worked for the International Police at one time.

So, yeah. Do you think all the kahunas can give out starters? In Twila's case it'd be Olivia since she was born on Akala. I guess it could also be Nanu...but he's clear on the next island most of the time and I just think it would make more sense for Olivia to do it. Or do you think another, different method would be better? Ideas? Questions? Comments? But please, if you're one of those people who hates OC x Canon pairings and/or thinks OC kids of canon characters are all mary sues, keep it to yourself. There are ways to make good OC relations to canon characters and I don't want to debate about it.

Edited by Dragoncat

Well since Akala island is the volcano island, and the girl is already used to finding and befriending cat pokemon, why can't she find a Litten that lost its way within Wela Volcano park and befriend it.  Or maybe it is being hunted by other pokemon in Wela Volcano Park (a mean marowak, salazzle and salandits, or magmar)?

19 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Well since Akala island is the volcano island, and the girl is already used to finding and befriending cat pokemon, why can't she find a Litten that lost its way within Wela Volcano park and befriend it.  Or maybe it is being hunted by other pokemon in Wela Volcano Park (a mean marowak, salazzle and salandits, or magmar)?

Cute idea but I already decided on getting the litten from Olivia. Thanks anyway though!

I probably shouldn't have made this topic if I was going to decide shortly afterward, meh. But I didn't really know.

Just for you since you showed interest, I'll post her profile! Just have to draw her...

Name: Twila

Appearance
Somewhat short, with average build and a curvy figure.  Dark red eyes and medium toned skin, her mother is dark skinned and her father is pale, so she's in between. Dark brown hair, normally long and kept in a ponytail. Wears clothes that are comfortable and easy to move around in: tank tops, T shirts, shorts, skirts, sandals, tennis shoes, etc. She usually goes for bright and cheery colors in her outfits.

Personality
Cheerful and optimistic. Has a soft spot for feline pokemon and is a friend to pokemon in general. Prone to humming while she works or is bored, and will often hum or sing along to music if she knows the song. She's a decent enough singer, but not fantastic. While she did inherit some of her father's stubbornness, she tends to wish he was more open to new ideas and traditions, the best example being when he refused a spot in the new Pokemon League. She didn't see any reason for him not to accept, and she voiced her opinion on it but wasn't able to change his mind. She often finds herself having to apologize for her father because he's just so blunt and uncaring sometimes. Despite all this, she has a healthy relationship with both parents.

History
Her parents met via their job. Her mother, Keala, was a secretary at the Heahea Police Department, and her father was an officer fresh from the police academy named Nanu. They were typical coworkers in the beginning, nothing special. Keala soon discovered she had a thing for men in uniform, the male officers just looked cuter when they were all suited up. And Nanu had a great personality on top of that. The two of them kept becoming closer, and eventually he told her she was under arrest for stealing his heart. The ice was broken, Keala thought that cheesy cop pickup line was adorable. And so began an office romance.

Nanu rose through the ranks, eventually earning himself a position in the International Police. Before he departed for his first big mission, of course he had to give his sweetheart a goodbye kiss. But it was night, and they were alone in her apartment, so it ended up being more than just a kiss. A month later, during one of the regular phone calls, Keala told him she was pregnant, which caught him completely off guard. Some of the other officers noticed him smiling more after that and generally acting more cheerful, but this was his way of covering up the nervousness and disappointment that he wouldn't be back home in time for the birth.

When Twila was born, Nanu's heart melted at the photo. His daughter had his eyes and was absolutely adorable. He passed the photo around, swelling with pride, and his comrades had nothing but praise and congratulations. He met her for the first time in person when she was eight months old. And then things got complicated. Locally, there was a problem with drug trafficking and gang activity, so the field officers like himself had to be on call constantly. On top of that, he was chosen as kahuna of UlaUla Island when Twila was six years old, another thing that caught him completely by surprise. When one of the island deities picked a kahuna, refusing was not an option...and kahunas were required to live on the island they were assigned to. Keala's family all lived on Akala Island. It was a hard decision to make: the frequent separation had taken a toll on their love, so much that they decided not to move in together on UlaUla. Joint custody was set up so that Twila could still have her father in her life.

Twila met a younger girl named Acerola once when Nanu had custody of her. The two became friends and would often run around together. They would bring stray meowths into Nanu's house and get him to take pity on them and adopt them. He would name them after whatever month or day of the week it was at the time, he never was very creative with names. But when he ended up with eight of them, he finally put his foot down and said no more. Luckily by this time, the girls were old enough to know it's unrealistic to be able to save every single stray.

At the age of thirteen, Twila saw a Battle Royale on TV and found it fascinating. She thought the Masked Royal was awesome and wondered who would win if he took on her dad in a pokemon battle. He was new to the scene, but already he was popular and winning left and right. He was also, dare she say it, kind of cute. Twila told her mom she wanted to get a team of pokemon so she could compete herself some day. Keala told her that Akala's kahuna was giving out pokemon next week, so she could start there. 

Kahuna Olivia took one look at Twila and knew she must be related to Kahuna Nanu, because her eyes were exactly like his. When she said she was his daughter, Olivia smiled and told her she had great trainer potential, but she had to wait her turn like everyone else. Whoever drew the biggest number out of the bucket got to go first, second biggest got to go second, etc. There were enough pokemon for everybody. 

When it was Twila's turn, she came out holding a female litten. Olivia told her that particular litten was "pure chaos" and asked if she was sure she could handle her. Twila was sure, the litten had seemed to pick her anyway. She named her Chaos, the name did fit. She soon learned exactly what the kahuna meant...Chaos was very naughty, but she obviously felt a strong kinship with the girl she had decided to go with. Chaos has since evolved into a torracat and Twila has two more team members. She trains and competes in the Battle Royale whenever she has time.

Pokemon

Chaos
Species: torracat
Nature: naughty
Ability: blaze
Moves: flame charge, fury swipes, acrobatics, swagger
A dark orange and black torracat with green eyes, who is clearly Twila's most trusted partner. She isn't unfriendly to other humans, but only Twila can get her to behave. Her antics include knocking drinks over, scratching furniture, and hiding in dresser drawers and kitchen cabinets. Twila hopes she will mellow out when she evolves, an incineroar won't fit in a drawer or a cabinet, after all.

April
Species: Alolan meowth
Nature: lonely
Ability: technician
Moves: bite, fake out, screech, slash
A mottled gray Alolan meowth with light green eyes. She was one of the strays Twila and Acerola brought Nanu. She never really got along with the other meowths, always retreating to a corner by herself. She got along with Sergeant, Nanu's Alolan persian, but he wasn't out all the time and when he was, all the strays made him nervous. Twila felt bad for trying to rescue her and just ending up putting her somewhere where she was unhappy. The next step was taking her with her to see if she'd be happier, and it worked. 

Mo
Species: skitty
Nature: lax
Ability: cute charm
Moves: sing, faint attack, play rough, heal bell
A red and yellow skitty with orange eyes. He was imported from Hoenn. Nanu was there for business when he came across a woman selling some skitty kittens. The mother delcatty was super friendly, and one of the kittens came right up to him with no fear at all. Turned out even tough middle aged cops can't resist kitten faces and tiny meows, so he purchased that skitty and brought him to Twila as a surprise. Twila named him Mo. He's friendly and loves to curl up on laps.

Fun fact: Her team is all named after and inspired by cats at the animal shelter I work at. There was a Sergeant there too, but he's a dog. I figured Nanu would name his ace something like that.