Do you think 8-4 will do localization?

As the title suggests, I'm wondering what are the chances of 8-4 doing localization for the new Fire Emblem on the Switch. I loved their work with Awakening and from what I've seen of SoV, that as well.

I must say I wasn't too pleased with Treehouse's quality of English voice acting and overall localization of Fates (not whining about censorship by the way, couldn't really care much about that). I'd love to see 8-4 return once again now that full voice acting is the case with Shadows of Valentia. What are your thoughts?

Edited by DragonLord

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the fact that people will riot if they hear Treehouse even touches FE again, I'm willing to bet yes. Whether I think that's a good thing or not is a whole 'nother can of worms, but I'd rather not touch that subject.

I REALLY hope so Treehouse doesn't fit this genre of games at all (I'm definitely expecting worse from Xenoblade 2 so import is likely for me) they should stick to cartoony ones like Mario plus what they pulled with not doing the final 2 maps overseas... Even though 8-4 was questionable with some Awakening things I have more confidence in them with actually good quality which Echoes is doing so far plus their massive backlash definitely shows "yeah your done".

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

20 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

I REALLY hope so Treehouse doesn't fit this genre of games at all (I'm definitely expecting worse from Xenoblade 2 so import is likely for me) they should stick to cartoony ones like Mario plus what they pulled with not doing the final 2 maps overseas... Even though 8-4 was questionable with some Awakening things I have more confidence in them with actually good quality which Echoes is doing so far plus their massive backlash definitely shows "yeah your done".

What a ridiculous comment. Treehouse has localized every FE game outside of Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Echoes They are more than capable of working on the franchise. 

11 minutes ago, Hardin said:

What a ridiculous comment. Treehouse has localized every FE game outside of Shadow Dragon, Awakening, and Echoes They are more than capable of working on the franchise. 

No it wasn't.....you do realize people/groups change overtime plus PoR and RD were bad ones with dumb cuts...Fates was definitely worse so yes I hope they won't do it and hope 8-4 continues as they are doing a marvelous job right now.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

I hope so, but only because, as mentioned before, people will riot if they see the Treehouse anywhere near FE. Which is funny, because a lot of what the Treehouse did was blown out of proportion. Literally the only reason people cared in the first place was because of the whole Soleil incident.

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I hope so, but only because, as mentioned before, people will riot if they see the Treehouse anywhere near FE. Which is funny, because a lot of what the Treehouse did was blown out of proportion. Literally the only reason people cared in the first place was because of the whole Soleil incident.

Yeah exactly and the whole Skinship mechanic which definitely was also big.

Edited by Blade Lord Lyn

1 minute ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

Yeah exactly and the whole Skinship mechanic which definitely was also big.

That too. It's even worse with Skinship because when it was revealed, people hated it, but then when it got removed in the localization, people complained more than when Skinship was revealed. Like, what the fuck, people? Did you want it gone or not?

After Fates, i can't take localization complaints seriously. Even now, there are people out there that are paranoid on whether the next FE game will be "censored".

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

That too. It's even worse with Skinship because when it was revealed, people hated it, but then when it got removed in the localization, people complained more than when Skinship was revealed. Like, what the fuck, people? Did you want it gone or not?

have you considered that maybe the people who complained about it being removed were not the same people who complained about it when it was revealed

35 minutes ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

No it wasn't.....you do realize people/groups change overtime plus PoR and RD were bad ones with dumb cuts...Fates was definitely worse so yes I hope they won't do it and hope 8-4 continues as they are doing a marvelous job right now.

I have never heard of people criticizing the games for their localization prior to the release of Fates. There was criticism of easy mode back in the PoR days, but that was an adjustment made with IS and NCL based off of feedback from the Japanese release. 

Let's be real here. When Nintendo outsources a game for localization, the 3rd party is not given a black cheque to do whatever they want with the game. 8-4 still has to report to their localization managers at Treehouse, who have to sign off on the product. Skinship wasn't going to survive regardless of who localized it. 

My main criticism is the quality of voice acting with Treehouse, it just doesn't work for me. It's why I didn't mind until Fates came along (unless I'm also counting Radiant Dawn which I haven't really played). The content removed or altered wasn't really that big of an issue to me.

Edited by DragonLord

38 minutes ago, unique said:

have you considered that maybe the people who complained about it being removed were not the same people who complained about it when it was revealed

To be fair, it's hard to tell who's who on the Internet.

On one hand, 8-4 is responsible for Duma, Orsin, and Raquesis.

On the other, Treehouse is responsible for Subaki, Arthur, and the Great Wall of Suzanoh. Hmm....

I'd pick 8-4 because I can't trust Treehouse to pronounce anything Japanese right. "O-BORE-o" fills me with the greatest of cringe.

15 minutes ago, Retyl said:

You do know that the voice acting doesn't really have much to do with Treehouse? The voice acting for Fates was recorded at Formosa Interactive and Kris Zimmerman-Salter who is well known for voice directing the (mostly) realistic Metal Gear Solid games is also the voice director for Fates. I guess she doesn't do as well with anime-esque games like Fates? Patrick Seitz is the voice director for Awakening which was recorded at Cup ofTea and he's very familiar with anime and anime-esque games, so I guess that might be why the voice acting in Awakening is better. There's also the fact that Fates used a couple of VAs who don't do anime at all.

What I'm saying is that the quality of the voice acting doesn't usually have anything to do with who is localizing the game unless it's being recorded in-house.

I have heard some complaints about Radiant Dawn's localization in the past but that was nowhere close to Fates' complaints. I can undertand not wanting Treehouse to touch it again but a recent blunder doesn't guarantee another.

I see. This is very useful to know when trying to understand where blame and/or praise is directed. Noted for the future, and some apologies to Treehouse on the topic of voice acting.

But not for the localization. You don't get off the hook for the localization.

Edit: What about Heroes? I'm far from impressed with about 80% of the voice acting there, and would like to know who was in charge of that.

Edited by Party Moth

26 minutes ago, Party Moth said:

Edit: What about Heroes? I'm far from impressed with about 80% of the voice acting there, and would like to know who was in charge of that.

Patrick Seitz is the director, from what I've heard.

10 hours ago, SageOfAnys said:

Given the fact that people will riot if they hear Treehouse even touches FE again, I'm willing to bet yes. Whether I think that's a good thing or not is a whole 'nother can of worms, but I'd rather not touch that subject.

I honestly think that bashing treehouse for the Fates localisation is disrespectful. They are just doing their job of localizing the games they are assigned to.

Majority of the games that are localized are done by the treehouse staff and it actually started being formed when there were complaints of horrible translations during the 8 and mid 16 bit era. 

Edited by Harvey

6 hours ago, Retyl said:

You do know that the voice acting doesn't really have much to do with Treehouse? The voice acting for Fates was recorded at Formosa Interactive and Kris Zimmerman-Salter who is well known for voice directing the (mostly) realistic Metal Gear Solid games is also the voice director for Fates. I guess she doesn't do as well with anime-esque games like Fates? Patrick Seitz is the voice director for Awakening which was recorded at Cup ofTea and he's very familiar with anime and anime-esque games, so I guess that might be why the voice acting in Awakening is better. There's also the fact that Fates used a couple of VAs who don't do anime at all.

What I'm saying is that the quality of the voice acting doesn't usually have anything to do with who is localizing the game unless it's being recorded in-house.

I have heard some complaints about Radiant Dawn's localization in the past but that was nowhere close to Fates' complaints. I can undertand not wanting Treehouse to touch it again but a recent blunder doesn't guarantee another.

Ah, I see. Thanks for informing me. I'm all for second chances, I just hope they do a good job with the voice direction, it really takes you out of it if the voices don't fit.

Edited by DragonLord

On the one hand, I hope so.

On the other, as soon as an issue pops up with the localisation of Echoes, my scepticism will immediately flare.

I don't want Treehouse touching it again because every time I look deeper into the localisation of Fates, I only find more questionable script alterations with no discernible reason behind them.

I'm even questioning the quality of prior localisations. Especially given how in prior games, there have actually been changes to the mechanics and the numbers of the games themselves, such as buffing growths in SS or lowering bow damage in 7. Not to mention some shenanigans in the Tellius games and the mistranslation of Aenir in Nergal's final line.

Not to say I know enough about 8-4's localisation to really make a case for them either. Until somebody decides to meticulously translate the script of Awakening in japanese to english, I'm not gonna start talking shit about it. Although there's certainly a few things to note regarding that, such as Henry, which makes looking into it enticing.

To be honest, Echoes is going to be what determines whether or not I trust 8-4 with localisation, since I'm actually going to be around to judge it since I'm one of those scrubs that came in with Awakening.

And on the topic of VA work, Awakening's dub is godlike and I think we all know that, but that's generally not a talking point for me. The only thing that is would be Effie. And I think you know why.

28 minutes ago, DaloDask said:

I'm even questioning the quality of prior localisations. Especially given how in prior games, there have actually been changes to the mechanics and the numbers of the games themselves, such as buffing growths in SS or lowering bow damage in 7. Not to mention some shenanigans in the Tellius games and the mistranslation of Aenir in Nergal's final line.

This doesn't make any sense. How is localization to be blamed for the overall difficulty of the game? Blazing Blade has no differences in difficulty in terms of each region. The only difference that FE7 had was Matthew winking at Guy but that's about it..that and how FE6 can be linked with FE7.

If the game's difficulty is toned down, its not because of localization but rather because of design decisions.

Edited by Harvey

3 minutes ago, Harvey said:

This doesn't make any sense. How is localization to be blamed for the overall difficulty of the game? Blazing Blade has no differences in difficulty in terms of each region. The only difference that FE7 had was Matthew winking at Guy but that's about it..that and how FE6 can be linked with FE7.

If the game's difficulty is toned down, its not because of localization but rather because of design decisions.

I mis-worded that. I was referring to the alteration made to weapon effectiveness in the english version of FE7, which was lowered to double damage instead of the intended triple damage.

Edited by DaloDask

15 minutes ago, DaloDask said:

I mis-worded that. I was referring to the alteration made to weapon effectiveness in the english version of FE7, which was lowered to double damage instead of the intended triple damage.

Even so, that still is under the blame for game design and not localization being the blame. Localization isn't part of game design nor is it the reason why difficulties are removed in certain regions. localization is simply the process of bringing the project to various other regions using said region's language as well as trying to make said project appealing to other regions besides the one being marketed at.

Edited by Harvey