Do you think 8-4 will do localization?

2 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

1. They brought it over because they saw it do well in Europe. They only care about money. 

2. The devs are probably giving Treehouse the scripts and dialogue to translate as we speak. Besides, we didn't have to wait too long for BotW to come out here in the west or the 3DS Pokemon titles. 

1) Of course they care about money. They're a business; every damn business wants to make lots of money. But you're blatantly wrong about them ONLY caring about money. The Xenoblade example proves nothing of selfishness on their part. How are you so sure they didn't think, "Oh, these fans should be happy, too. It's a win-win!"?

2) Until you provide a reason outside of empty "NoA does not care for its fans" accusations that lack sense, I fail to see the "probably" part of your claim and instead see it as a wild guess. We know nothing of when development started or what stage it is in right now.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda want Treehouse to do the localization just so that people will stop acting like the original Japanese version of Fates was some flawless, perfect game that was ruined by bad localization. The English version of Fates sucked because the Japanese version of Fates sucked, plain and simple. I mean, I'm not defending every localization decision Treehouse made, because they did make some pretty bad decisions (Saizo and Beruka's C Support immediately comes to mind). However, some changes were actually improvements over the original (not enough to save the game as a whole, though) and I can respect a localization team that's willing to take risks to fix things that don't transfer well culturally, even if those risks don't always pan out.

Of course, 8-4 did a great job with Shadows of Valentia (and a decent job with Awakening, too), so I can't say I'd be too upset if they localize FE Switch, either.

Edited by ClevelandSteve

21 hours ago, ClevelandSteve said:

I kinda want Treehouse to do the localization just so that people will stop acting like the original Japanese version of Fates was some flawless, perfect game that was ruined by bad localization. The English version of Fates sucked because the Japanese version of Fates sucked, plain and simple. I mean, I'm not defending every localization decision Treehouse made, because they did make some pretty bad decisions (Saizo and Beruka's C Support immediately comes to mind). However, some changes were actually improvements over the original (not enough to save the game as a whole, though) and I can respect a localization team that's willing to take risks to fix things that don't transfer well culturally, even if those risks don't always pan out.

Of course, 8-4 did a great job with Shadows of Valentia (and a decent job with Awakening, too), so I can't say I'd be too upset if they localize FE Switch, either.

These are pretty much my thoughts on this issue as well. I think people are being way to hard on the Treehouse especially since Fates doesn't seem to be the only FE game that they translated. They just made some bad decisions that got overblown in the fandom, and now everybody hates them. The issue with Fates writing is on NoJ and whoever butchered the writer's original script, and made it the hot mess it became. Treehouse did do some things better like toning down the obvious Hoshido bias which was a complaint I remember when the Japanese version came out. The only bad things I can really get on them are the decision to block Kana from marrying certain candidates (when you can literally marry everyone), and the infamous Saizo and Beruka support. Effie got changes just like Henry was changed by 8-4 in Awakening so it isn't fair to pin that only on Treehouse since 8-4 has shown that they will do the same. I say they be given another shot just to see if they learned anything from the whole Fates controversy.

There is also the chance that Treehouse is working on the new game already actually. If what the developers meant when they said that they would be "breathing life into the characters like never before", was that all the characters would get more dialogue then that all needs to be translated. With Echoes they have shortened the possible amount of time that a FE game can come out between Japan and other regions to just a month. I doubt that they are going to want to increase that, and would instead want to shorten it or just keep it at a month. If this post is anything to go by (https://nintendotreehouse.tumblr.com/post/158748439077/welcome-to-the-jungle) translating a game can take years depending on when the localization process actually started. Considering the whole fiasco with the petting minigame Nintendo might be letting in the localizers sooner to give them an idea of what wouldn't fly over here. Yes FE isn't one of Nintendo's big hitters so it might not want to put as much effort into the localization as all this, but it still makes them a good amount of money now. Enough that they felt that they could release three games in one year. To fit that timeframe, or one similar, they would have to start translating ahead of time and 8-4 is hardly waiting around twiddling their thumbs for more projects to just drop on their lap. They probably have multiple teams that have schedules to work on different games as soon as they finish one project so they can keep the money coming in.

Now could Nintendo have just told them that as soon as they finish with Echoes they can start on the Switch game? Yep. We don't know when the Switch version will come out after all, and Echoes finished up pretty early in the year. Do they have to include the localizers early on in development? No, and they probably don't since the developers don't seem to care much about what the non-Japanese market wants from what I've seen (correct me I'm wrong though). I'm just getting annoyed at how bad the Treehouse keeps getting bashed because of the Fates games. They aren't perfect, and I've read every reply on this thread so I know they have taken out features and left out script in the Tellius games. However, 8-4 has hardly had a perfect record with all of their games either and even Awakening and Echoes weren't a word for word translation (although I love the small changes they made in Echoes script). I just say give them a second chance to see if they've learned.

Sorry for the massive wall of text.

On 6/16/2017 at 5:47 PM, YingofDarkness said:

These are pretty much my thoughts on this issue as well. I think people are being way to hard on the Treehouse especially since Fates doesn't seem to be the only FE game that they translated. They just made some bad decisions that got overblown in the fandom, and now everybody hates them. The issue with Fates writing is on NoJ and whoever butchered the writer's original script, and made it the hot mess it became. Treehouse did do some things better like toning down the obvious Hoshido bias which was a complaint I remember when the Japanese version came out. The only bad things I can really get on them are the decision to block Kana from marrying certain candidates (when you can literally marry everyone), and the infamous Saizo and Beruka support. Effie got changes just like Henry was changed by 8-4 in Awakening so it isn't fair to pin that only on Treehouse since 8-4 has shown that they will do the same. I say they be given another shot just to see if they learned anything from the whole Fates controversy.

There is also the chance that Treehouse is working on the new game already actually. If what the developers meant when they said that they would be "breathing life into the characters like never before", was that all the characters would get more dialogue then that all needs to be translated. With Echoes they have shortened the possible amount of time that a FE game can come out between Japan and other regions to just a month. I doubt that they are going to want to increase that, and would instead want to shorten it or just keep it at a month. If this post is anything to go by (https://nintendotreehouse.tumblr.com/post/158748439077/welcome-to-the-jungle) translating a game can take years depending on when the localization process actually started. Considering the whole fiasco with the petting minigame Nintendo might be letting in the localizers sooner to give them an idea of what wouldn't fly over here. Yes FE isn't one of Nintendo's big hitters so it might not want to put as much effort into the localization as all this, but it still makes them a good amount of money now. Enough that they felt that they could release three games in one year. To fit that timeframe, or one similar, they would have to start translating ahead of time and 8-4 is hardly waiting around twiddling their thumbs for more projects to just drop on their lap. They probably have multiple teams that have schedules to work on different games as soon as they finish one project so they can keep the money coming in.

Now could Nintendo have just told them that as soon as they finish with Echoes they can start on the Switch game? Yep. We don't know when the Switch version will come out after all, and Echoes finished up pretty early in the year. Do they have to include the localizers early on in development? No, and they probably don't since the developers don't seem to care much about what the non-Japanese market wants from what I've seen (correct me I'm wrong though). I'm just getting annoyed at how bad the Treehouse keeps getting bashed because of the Fates games. They aren't perfect, and I've read every reply on this thread so I know they have taken out features and left out script in the Tellius games. However, 8-4 has hardly had a perfect record with all of their games either and even Awakening and Echoes weren't a word for word translation (although I love the small changes they made in Echoes script). I just say give them a second chance to see if they've learned.

Sorry for the massive wall of text.

Here's the thing, the older FE games NoA translated and localized? Those were done by older members of Treehouse at the time. We hate Treehouse now not only for what they did with Fates, but other games like Xenoblade X, newer Pokemon, SMT X FE, etc. That, and they're run by liberal cucks who get triggered by everything and support pedophilia (I.E. Alison Rapp). Hell, I even tweeted at one of the members of Treehouse on twitter simply to tell them this: "Never localize Mother 3. We don't want any cringe worthy memes on it" and was immediately blocked after that. No discussion, no freedom of speech, nothing. As for the change to Henry's character, Vet fans hate that too. We're sadly just the minority. Treehouse doesn't deserve any chances for JRPGs after the shit they pulled and because of the far left SJW cucks working there.

1 minute ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Hell, I even tweeted at one of the members of Treehouse on twitter simply to tell them this: "Never localize Mother 3. We don't want any cringe worthy memes on it" and was immediately blocked after that. No discussion, no freedom of speech, nothing. 

"everything you do is shit and you should stop"
"go away"

"WOW MY FREEDOM OF SPEECH"

no, being a tiny baby snowflake and crying about it to them and expecting a response like "oh, okay! we'll never do our jobs again!!" is a bad thing and makes you sound ridiculous lol

cool it down

EDIT: please all parties remember you're talking about the translation of a video game and take a step back

Edited by Integrity

As a note to AmericanBuizel about "Freedom of Speech":

1. Internet is not subject to American Laws

2. Even if they were:

Freedom of speech does not mean anyone has to listen to you. They have no relation to the government.

Edited by shadowofchaos

1 hour ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Hell, I even tweeted at one of the members of Treehouse on twitter simply to tell them this: "Never localize Mother 3. We don't want any cringe worthy memes on it" and was immediately blocked after that. No discussion, no freedom of speech, nothing.

Okay but that is different. You were being a jerk there, and they had every right to block you.

The only bad thing about Xenoblade Chronicles X was the removal of the boob slider and some of Lin's outfits which aren't that bad and might not even have been their decision but NoA. The story was kept the same without any major changes. SmtxFE was done by Atlus themselves it was just NoA that told them to change some stuff, and it is important to remember Treehouse and NoA aren't exactly the same thing. Yes Treehouse works for NoA, but NoA has the final say on what can be changed and not on the stuff using their licenses. I don't play Pokemon anymore so I wouldn't know what they changed there though.

2 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Here's the thing, the older FE games NoA translated and localized? Those were done by older members of Treehouse at the time. We hate Treehouse now not only for what they did with Fates, but other games like Xenoblade X, newer Pokemon, SMT X FE, etc.

Localized by 8-4, The Pokemon Company, and Atlus respectively.

Thanks for playing!

1 hour ago, Jave said:

Localized by 8-4, The Pokemon Company, and Atlus respectively.

Thanks for playing!

"Over 9000" in XY, Treehouse helped 8-4 with Xenoblade and NoA forced Atlus to censor and change dialoge.

NoA is awful.

8 minutes ago, AmericanBuizel said:

"Over 9000" in XY, Treehouse helped 8-4 with Xenoblade and NoA forced Atlus to censor and change dialoge.

NoA is awful.

NoA supervises the localization of every game they publish. So in the end, your complains aimed at the localization teams are completely irrelevant.

Either way, NoA SHOULD be focused on getting more western third party support for the Switch and not on the localization. NoA doesn't know what they're doing and I hope Fils-Amie gets fired.

6 minutes ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Either way, NoA SHOULD be focused on getting more western third party support for the Switch and not on the localization. NoA doesn't know what they're doing and I hope Fils-Amie gets fired.

lol

"I'm a translator who really needs to coordinate with japanese developers on how to sell their product in the US but I'm running out of time for business meetings with Activision!"

NoA isn't one guy doing it all. 

3 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

NoA is awful.

The "over 9000" thing is just a guess on your part (not to mention one small example), and this is the first I've heard of the latter two. Can you provide sources proving they had such a strong influence? I have my doubts.

Edited by NoirCore

2 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

The "over 9000" thing is just a guess on your part, and this is the first I've heard of the latter two. Can you provide sources proving they had such a strong influence? I have my doubts.

http://kotaku.com/xenoblade-chronicles-xs-director-on-localization-change-1796157409 "While Nintendo of America localized Xenoblade Chronicles X, Nintendo of Europe is handling Takahashi’s next game, Xenoblade Chronicles 2. 

As for TMS # FE, I read that somewhere on Operation Rainfall's website but can't find the article. 

22 minutes ago, AmericanBuizel said:

http://kotaku.com/xenoblade-chronicles-xs-director-on-localization-change-1796157409 "While Nintendo of America localized Xenoblade Chronicles X, Nintendo of Europe is handling Takahashi’s next game, Xenoblade Chronicles 2. 

As for TMS # FE, I read that somewhere on Operation Rainfall's website but can't find the article. 

1) I've noticed 8-4 has had no mention anywhere in this article. From my perspective, it looks like an error on the article writer's part on who did localization.

2) Well, not sure of that either so... *shrugs*

Regardless, Gustavos is right; this isn't just one man or a small group taking care of everything, let alone things they simply aren't supposed to take care of. Asking for Reggie to be fired is rather rash.

Edited by NoirCore

Even then, there are other sources out there saying NoA and Treehouse assisted 8-4 in localization. 

I'm aware that it's not a small group taking care of everything. But still, that doesn't excuse their awful practices. Hell, even SEGA, as bad as they are (I.E. PSO2) are better than Nintendo is. 

21 minutes ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Even then, there are other sources out there saying NoA and Treehouse assisted 8-4 in localization. 

I'm aware that it's not a small group taking care of everything. But still, that doesn't excuse their awful practices. Hell, even SEGA, as bad as they are (I.E. PSO2) are better than Nintendo is. 

I searched it up and only got the same article you linked as a relevant source.

So far, the only thing you've said Treehouse has screwed up that is backed up by others is FE Fates, excusing Xeno X and TMI. You mentioned "etc."; what other games are there that they apparently flubbed up?

I remember that they made a reference to gun control in Paper Mario Color Trash for example. That, and they're the reason why North America doesn't get as much cool stuff as Europe. But other than that, the ect thing is really just meant for any other games/practices I can't think of right now. 

26 minutes ago, AmericanBuizel said:

I remember that they made a reference to gun control in Paper Mario Color Trash for example. That, and they're the reason why North America doesn't get as much cool stuff as Europe. But other than that, the ect thing is really just meant for any other games/practices I can't think of right now. 

I heard Color Splash's writing is actually funny to some. Honestly, though, the game's mixed reaction and swarms of biased opinions make it hard for me to trust a stranger's reactions on it.

And Treehouse is the reason Europe gets more "cool stuff"? This is news to me. I searched it up, and I got nothing that suggests such. I saw some remarks about how NA gets games earlier than Europe, though.

Unfortunately, if you can't bother explaining much what you mean by etc., I have little reason to trust your word that NoA is so atrocious as you claim.

Edited by NoirCore

Probably 8-4 though since Treehouse localized most of the FE games in the west, maybe not.

Because of the whole Treehouse controversies with skinship's removal, Effie, Japanese names changed for some Hoshidans, Saizo and Beruka's C support and some others, it's possible that they will let 8-4 to localize the next games and to avoid controversies just to be safe.

Even if Treehouse localized previous games and changed a few things (Removal of Maniac mode, the Black Knight and the warp powder creating a weaker clone of him in PoR for example, Kyza's personality, DB's exclusive weapons and allowing tier 3 classes without the Master Crown in RD for example), same with 8-4 (only males can wield the Falchion in SD and Tharja's ass or boingy bits respectively in NoA and Europe in Awakening for example), none of these changes seem to have pissed people compared to Fates' localization reactions (though to be fair FE was less known at that time).

I have even seen people being scared that SoV would be localized by Treehouse so it might be for the best that 8-4 continues to localize the next games rather than Treehouse. 

On 17/06/2017 at 3:47 AM, YingofDarkness said:

Treehouse did do some things better like toning down the obvious Hoshido bias which was a complaint I remember when the Japanese version came out. 

Where did that happened? Hoshido isn't toned down compared to the Japanese version and is pretty much the same. Same with Nohr.

If you are talking about the "Nohrian scum" term used by Hinoka and Takumi, it doesn't make Hoshido less white since it makes sense for them to insult the people who are invading them and who are killing their own people.