Do you think 8-4 will do localization?

2 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I think that Nintendo of Europe will be doing the European translation.

At least for the non english speaking countries. The UK is going to get stuck with our translation sadly. 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, AmericanBuizel said:

At least for the non english speaking countries. The UK is going to get stuck with our translation sadly. 

Let's wait and see the actual translation (let alone team) before we start throwing the word "sadly" around. Getting pretty presumptuous there.

We all know it's going to be Treehouse though. Think about it, this is going to be a bigger budget FE game than Echoes was, it's coming out for a new console, and Treehouse has had a history of localizing FE games that are higher in budget (I.E. FE7, PoR, RD, and Fates). The only reason Awakening wasn't localized by them was because NoA didn't want to pay too much for something that could fail. 

Edited by AmericanBuizel

2 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

We all know it's going to be Treehouse though. Think about it, this is going to be a bigger budget FE game than Echoes was, it's coming out for a new console, and Treehouse has had a history of localizing FE games that are higher in budget (I.E. FE7, PoR, RD, and Fates). The only reason Awakening wasn't localized by them was because NoA didn't want to pay too much for something that could fail. 

Let's not pretend we "know" anything.

All those projects Treehouse localized; that was before the Fates fiasco. Things may have changed, and I won't be surprised if they did. Maybe Treehouse does localize this but doesn't make the same mistakes, having learned and known of the backlash, or Nintendo gets 8-4 to aid them again out of fear of instigating more anger from the FE fanbase. We don't "know" anything; all we can do is conclude, but a conclusion on our part is not a definite answer. It's a "wait and see" type of deal.

22 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Both LoZ: TriForce Heroes and Awakening had NoE do the English localisation separate from the NA one (which is why us EU folks got the uncensored Beach DLC). So you can't say that with one hundred percent certainty.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Here's the thing, LoZ was probably altered by NoE to remove the line. NoE can alter the US scripts you know. As for Awakening, That was because 8-4 localized Awakening for North America and Europe needed its own translation. Besides, remember "boingy bits"? 99.9% of the time, the UK gets the US version of various Nintendo games. Those games you listed were exceptions.

4 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Here's the thing, LoZ was probably altered by NoE to remove the line. NoE can alter the US scripts you know. As for Awakening, That was because 8-4 localized Awakening for North America and Europe needed its own translation. Besides, remember "boingy bits"? 99.9% of the time, the UK gets the US version of various Nintendo games. Those games you listed were exceptions.

Uh, what line, for those of us uninformed...?

Also, are you certain the UK uses NA translations? From what multiple sources I've read (although admittedly not official), Nintendo's games tend to regularly get localized in Europe, and not just for the English language; they also localize for other European languages such as German and Italian. Splatoon is one notable example, not to mention people like the NA localization.

To answer your first question, the line in question was a reference to an old ass dank doge meme. 

Yes, I'm sure. The UK got the FE Fates translation from North America, look it up. That, and they've gotten our version of the Bravely series, Mario, Donkey Kong, most Zelda, etc. Like I said, there have been some exceptions where the UK got it's own translation (FE SD, Awakening, etc), but they're few and far in between. As for the other languages, NoE usually focuses on localization more on the non-english speaking countries in Europe (Italy, France, etc) while just giving the UK the NA translation. My only guess is that the UK usually get's NA's versions of various nintendo games is because it usually saves a lot of time and money, considering all the languages NoE has to localize for while there's only 3 here. 

14 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

To answer your first question, the line in question was a reference to an old ass dank doge meme.

Can you quote it, word for word?

I'm sorry, but I'd rather judge for myself what NoA's track record is. I just don't feel even close to certain that NoA would take a game and make a bad localization "intentionally" because they "don't care about the fans", let alone avoid considering 8-4 or pretending the Fates fiasco never happened. Yes, they flubbed up Fates bad and had some controversy with someone working for them (whom they have parted with, I emphasize). But that's something they gotta learn from now. I'll wait for the script to come out to judge their work...if they don't go to 8-4 again.

On 2017-6-20 at 1:16 PM, NoirCore said:

All those projects Treehouse localized; that was before the Fates fiasco. Things may have changed, and I won't be surprised if they did. Maybe Treehouse does localize this but doesn't make the same mistakes, having learned and known of the backlash, or Nintendo gets 8-4 to aid them again out of fear of instigating more anger from the FE fanbase. We don't "know" anything; all we can do is conclude, but a conclusion on our part is not a definite answer. It's a "wait and see" type of deal.

This approach seems about right.

Though to be honest, a better measure of Treehouse might end up being Warriors, which could be localised by them, and based on all the interviews and stuff we've gotten so far, the script for this game (Fully voiced, btw) is going to be far larger than expected.

HOPEFULLY the backlash from Fates and TMS teaches them that they can't just alter the script or content of games willy-nilly or not keep a close eye on their translators to ensure they don't, intentionally or not, alter scenes from their original intent.

My faith is low, but I had low expectations for Echoes' localisation and that turned out amazing so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

4 hours ago, NoirCore said:

...meh, not that big a deal to me. I'd rather not let it get to me.

You see, it's that kind of attitude that allows these awful companies to get away with the bullshit they pull. We need to criticize them and stop being apothetic. If there's a game we want to play but it's from a shitty company, we should pirate it so they don't get a single dime.

1 hour ago, AmericanBuizel said:

You see, it's that kind of attitude that allows these awful companies to get away with the bullshit they pull. We need to criticize them and stop being apothetic. If there's a game we want to play but it's from a shitty company, we should pirate it so they don't get a single dime.

You should be ashamed for suggesting pirating.

Pirating a game (let alone one by NoA) is a more repulsive act than putting memeish lines in a video game by far. No thank you. I'd like to not overreact to the existence of memes and obey the laws when obtaining video games.

11 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

You should be ashamed for suggesting pirating.

Pirating a game (let alone one by NoA) is a more repulsive act than putting memeish lines in a video game by far. No thank you. I'd like to not overreact to the existence of memes and obey the laws when obtaining video games.

If only he put his effort with spite into learning Japanese, instead.

Like imagine what he could have been able to contribute.

7 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

doooooooge.........

CSTDndlUYAEKWjK.png

Tbh I liked the NoA localisation of Tri-Force Heroes due to the themes and the silliness of the game. ...It was quite fitting, haha. It very much depends on the tone of the game, of course. If it were something serious then obviously it would be ill-suited.

3 hours ago, AmericanBuizel said:

That's just fucking stupid. If everyone did that they wouldn't continue making games for that franchise, that and you can be critical without pirating or engaging in any illegal activity. And why would you even bother pirating the games if you don't like them anyways? What's the point in that? Additionally, the way you worded what you said makes it come off as if you're simply spiteful - it doesn't even sound like you want them to improve...

Sorry if I'm being too rash, but imposing that idea is just plain stupid and hardly benefits anybody.

To me it doesn't matter who localizes it, as long as we get the game I'm good. The whole issue with Treeouse isn't even an issue to begin with. A couple of angry internet users started listing why they didn't like their localization of Fates and people just took it as gospel and got on the bandwagon of hate for Treehouse. A bunch of babies.

On 6/19/2017 at 0:13 PM, Thunderstar said:

Where did that happened? Hoshido isn't toned down compared to the Japanese version and is pretty much the same. Same with Nohr.

If you are talking about the "Nohrian scum" term used by Hinoka and Takumi, it doesn't make Hoshido less white since it makes sense for them to insult the people who are invading them and who are killing their own people.

Toned down isn't the correct way to word it, but I can't think of any other way to say it. Yes the "Nohrian scum" is part of it, but if you go with Nohr apparently Corrin doesn't whine as much, and some of the wording was changed a bit so they aren't 100% angels...just 99.99%. Mind you this is all stuff I've heard from when Fates first got localized, and I can now only find people on forums talking about it along with some other localization changes. I've been trying to find the Japanese and American scripts to compare, but can't locate them.

Also, yeah the Hoshidans are completely justified in hating the Nohrians and calling them scum, but that wasn't in the original even though it humanizes them a bit. I mean we all do this were we paint a particular faction a certain way so why shouldn't the Hoshidans who have been getting attacked by monsters and soldiers from a neighboring kingdom. This is getting off topic though.

On 6/22/2017 at 10:35 PM, AmericanBuizel said:

This does not make any sense to me. If you don't like a game then don't buy it. The company won't see your money either way, but if you play it then you don't have anything to get upset over. Pirating doesn't do anything except make things worse for those of us who are legitimately buying the games. Your frustrations over the changes in localization won't get heard, and nothing changes...

Maybe I didn't phrase things as best as I could. I meant to say that if there's a game that captures our interest, but the company that localized it butchered it completely by pandering to SJWs, we should just either buy or pirate the Japanese version with fan translations so we can let them know that we don't want these SJWs affecting our games anymore, or else we're just going to keep doing this. 

2 minutes ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Maybe I didn't phrase things as best as I could. I meant to say that if there's a game that captures our interest, but the company that localized it butchered it completely by pandering to SJWs, we should just either buy or pirate the Japanese version with fan translations so we can let them know that we don't want these SJWs affecting our games anymore, or else we're just going to keep doing this. 

That's still kind of stupid, friendo

Maybe you don't understand how business' work? Here's the thing, these companies require money to keep giving us products. If they don't get our hard earned money, they can't keep pandering to SJWs (who don't even buy these games anyway I might add). Therefore, if we stop giving them money, they'll have no choice but to either 1. Go bankrupt and close down or 2. Be humble and listen to us and stop this bullshit. 

1 hour ago, AmericanBuizel said:

Maybe you don't understand how business' work? Here's the thing, these companies require money to keep giving us products. If they don't get our hard earned money, they can't keep pandering to SJWs (who don't even buy these games anyway I might add). Therefore, if we stop giving them money, they'll have no choice but to either 1. Go bankrupt and close down or 2. Be humble and listen to us and stop this bullshi-

Just stop it.

The only bull right here is this behavior being exhibited and the justification accompanying it. Pirating is bad, no ways around it. And to do so in reaction to lines referencing memes? Just references that have become fads on the Internet? That's a clear overreaction, and is unforgivable. The fact that you're going on some tangent about companies appealing to "SJWs" (which aren't even connected to "meme-lovers") isn't helping your case either. You come across as one complaining about a pet peeve instead of an actual issue.

If Treehouse localizes FE Switch and there's a few memes in there, I'm not gonna cry about it, and rightfully so. It's just non-offensive text in a video game. I won't regret getting an NA version unless the localization actually takes away content meaningful to me, but even then, I'll vote with my wallet in response should there be actual confirmation of it. Not gonna bother even considering piracy; that's flat out stupid and a spit in the face to the entire company, even outside NA.

1 hour ago, NoirCore said:

Just stop it.

The only bull right here is this behavior being exhibited and the justification accompanying it. Pirating is bad, no ways around it. And to do so in reaction to lines referencing memes? Just references that have become fads on the Internet? That's a clear overreaction, and is unforgivable. The fact that you're going on some tangent about companies appealing to "SJWs" (which aren't even connected to "meme-lovers") isn't helping your case either. You come across as one complaining about a pet peeve instead of an actual issue.

If Treehouse localizes FE Switch and there's a few memes in there, I'm not gonna cry about it, and rightfully so. It's just non-offensive text in a video game. I won't regret getting an NA version unless the localization actually takes away content meaningful to me, but even then, I'll vote with my wallet in response should there be actual confirmation of it. Not gonna bother even considering piracy; that's flat out stupid and a spit in the face to the entire company, even outside NA.

That's why I also suggested buying the Japanese version and downloading a fan translation. Did you not read my whole comment before the one you quoted?

17 minutes ago, AmericanBuizel said:

That's why I also suggested buying the Japanese version and downloading a fan translation. Did you not read my whole comment before the one you quoted?

I read that part. Honestly, though, I personally would not bother; I'm not too familiar with the process of getting overseas content and downloading third party stuff to the 3DS (plus region locking is a thing), and I prefer English dubs for VAs anyway. Point stands, though: stop freaking out over memes, and piracy is never an option.

Edited by NoirCore

2 hours ago, NoirCore said:

I read that part. Honestly, though, I personally would not bother; I'm not too familiar with the process of getting overseas content and downloading third party stuff to the 3DS (plus region locking is a thing), and I prefer English dubs for VAs anyway. Point stands, though: stop freaking out over memes, and piracy is never an option.

Playasia and the internet is your best friend. Besides, the switch is region free and whenever NoA themselves localize a JRPG, the english VA turns out to be mediocre at best (and this is coming from someone who liked the english voices in Echoes). Memes aren't the only problem, there's complete script changes, changing plot points, character personality changes, pandering to SJWs, etc. Besides, piracy is always an option. If it wasn't, then explain all the people that did pirate Fates and also explain how I was able to play Mother 3 :^)