I Need An Idea For A First Date

Captain Karnage

so ummm, I was able to ask this girl out, it's the first date I've been on in 2 years

I just need a recomendation

something that's not too akward and not a movie date

Just now, Captain Karnage said:

I'm unsure if she drinks, and I don't want to get drunk

Fair enough on her, but you CAN get drinks without getting drunk.

8 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

so ummm, I was able to ask this girl out, it's the first date I've been on in 2 years

I just need a recomendation

something that's not too akward and not a movie date

What does she like to do?

Restaurant is always a solid choice.  If she's into random stuff like mini-golf or bowling, you could try that.  Really, gauge her interests and use that to determine what to do.

7 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Fair enough on her, but you CAN get drinks without getting drunk.

she's 20

5 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

What does she like to do?

Restaurant is always a solid choice.  If she's into random stuff like mini-golf or bowling, you could try that.  Really, gauge her interests and use that to determine what to do.

good ideas

Then yeah, nix the drinks idea.

I second bowling/mini-golf. Slow pace, plenty of time to talk.

Edited by Slumber

The homeschooler in me wants to make sure you get her father's permission first. Shut up, stupid homeschooler Sully! You always make it so hard to socialize with normal people!

In all seriousness, you should probably go to a restaurant. Olive Garden is my preferred date location because the food looks expensive, but isn't really. You could also take her to a less well known place you trust, because that will show a little bit of personality on your part. The homeschooler in me wants to tell you to take her out to Chik-Fil-A, but that's a horrible idea. Don't take her out to Chik-Fil-A.

And make sure you don't do what one of my sister-in-law's first dates did and expect her to cover half of the bill at the end. Be a gentleman!

An art museum can be a nice place to go if you live near one. I think museums make for easy and low pressure date spots. They're easy and relaxing to chat and get to know each other a bit better in. You can be in there for as long or short a time as you both like. And if at any point you don't know what to talk it's perfectly natural to discuss (or make fun of) whatever piece you happen to be standing in front of.

• 2 weeks later...

I know my post is rather tardy, but at least here are some ideas for a second date. It really depends on the person,but let's start with some risky location ideas:

• Bowling alleys are meh for a first meeting. It's the kind of place you got with people you already have an established bond with: otherwise its dark, often loud atmosphere can become awkward.
  • Fancy restaurants aren't always great either because it often places a financial burden on the both of you. At the end of the date comes the (in)famous question: how do we split the $100 bill? Plus I don't really think it's the kind of place you really get to know someone: I feel like the pressure of looking good and putting a facade is even greater in those kind of places. 
  • What about drinks and karaoke? I'm not worried about the getting drunk stuff, it's just that some people just don't see the appeal of alcohol. But more importantly, if she's  self-conscious about her voice or generally more reserved, than it's a no-go.

Like others said, take into account what she's like and what interests not only her but you too. Let her know what you're about. Remember to be yourself, I know it's redundant but  nobody wants to date someone only to realize they were being a fake ass hoe. (ᅌᴗᅌ✿) It either clicks or it doesn't. But that's thinking too far ahead. 

Are you both artistic? Then art museums are good for all the reasons Wist said. If you've never been to one, give it a try; I know I was surprised at how nice I found my first tour after my art history class. Though if you are certain museums simply aren't for you then maybe try something more engaging like ceramic cafés and such. You can paint whatever pottery items they sell there while eating pastries and having a nice chat. Good stuff.

Animals are also a good common interest. Like cats? Go to a cat café! Eh, she could be allergic. How about going to an aquarium? It seems generic, I know, but it could be a nice, simple idea. Maybe she's a romantic: in that case how about a nice walk around a natural park/botanical garden? Don't try a picnic though, those hardly ever go right.

Or perhaps what brought you together are video games and she's as much of a geek as we all are. In that case she's probably be fine spending the evening with you watching/  discussing shows while playing co-op games.

Best of luck, buddy.  

For 1st/2nd dates, usually girls want to go somewhere public (for safety reasons) and somewhere you can talk (so that eliminates a movie theater).  For me, the bowling/mini golf thing is horrible.  You can do that stuff if you are already boyfriend/girlfriend.  Going to dinner (doesn't have to be a fancy restaurant, just go to local diner, or an Applebees or something), a park (weather pending), or just walk around the mall and socialize (what girl doesn't like shopping?) are good for starters.