I'm playing through chapter 2 of Fe4 and I've tried about three times (not a lot, I know) to defeat all the Heirhein soldiers around Lachesis' castle before they kill Yves.  I've failed each time.  I know you can get the Knight Ring from her at the end if all three knights are still alive, but I'm not sure how I can keep that one from dying!  It looks like a great item, but is it worth it?  I'm tempted to reset in any event, but still.

Edited by EeveeCurry
Sentence flow, hopefully is easier to read now.

Get Sigurd. Get Cuan. Heck, get all your mounts and charge. You have to go flat-out right to the first castle if you wanna get all the goodies in this chapter, so you need to move everyone as far as you possibly can. Don't forget to have Ethlin heal anyone who's running low on health as well. She's a lifesaver when it comes to this bit of the level.

One thing to note is it's sometimes better to wait a turn to recruit Lachesis, since once you talk to her the Nodian knights will move from their positions and (usually) end up somewhere stupid with like 20 HP, and they'll just stay in position while Lachesis remains an NPC.  You can kind of shield the left dude with Sigurd and Cuan too which really helps.

Edited by General Horace

The thing is, Yves has like 9 hp and is surrounded by the time I get to him.  I have a save state from when I've already moved my units out from the castle and are about to reach the three knights, but I also have a save file from when I just had them in Evans training in the Arena and repairing their weapons.  Each time Yves has managed to get surrounded and whaled on.  I know this game doesn't have the two-roll system in place, but are the rolls this predetermined?  I'm also no stranger to save state abuse so I'm aware that a lot of the moves are predetermined to a degree but ye gods.

And I'd love to use Ethlyn to get some heals in, but she's always too far away to help.  Physic would be nice here, for sure.

(Thanks for the advice, regardless!)

The PRNG state is 100% predetermined. Sometimes it has a sequence that gives you no chance of success. But what you can do is advance the PRNG by doing an arena battle. I'm sure you have at least one unit who hasn't completed all of the fights. Doesn't matter if they lose because they won't die - they'll just be at 1 HP.

7 hours ago, Hozu said:

The PRNG state is 100% predetermined. Sometimes it has a sequence that gives you no chance of success. But what you can do is advance the PRNG by doing an arena battle. I'm sure you have at least one unit who hasn't completed all of the fights. Doesn't matter if they lose because they won't die - they'll just be at 1 HP.

It worked!  I threw Dew in quickly and this time Yves dodged all but one attack!  Thank God I don't have to do that part of the map again, and thank you for the info.

Although not related to you question, a bit of advice for the knight ring, make sure your knight-ring user kills the warrior in chapter 3 that drops the leg ring. Ideally I like to get both on a dancer, but that can be expensive and Sylvia isn't really very good at killing things, but if you can get them you can at least pass them on to Lynn (Unless you don't care about getting the kids and are fine using Laylea).