Here are some of the review scores i found

• GameXplain: "Liked-a-Lot" 
  • IGN: 7.8/10
  • Destructoid: 7.5/10
  • GameSpot: 9/10
  • Fansided: 8/10
  • Gaming Nexus: 9.5/10

Here's Gamespots review:

I'm surprised that Gamespot gave the game a very good score! I thought for certain that they'd give it the same as conquest!

Sadly, the comments have already started bashing at its season pass more than the game.

Then IGN....

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/16/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-of-valentia-review

They seem to enjoy it and yet the score is underwhelming...

"On the battlefield, Fire Emblem Echoes: Shades of Valentia is a delightful look into the simpler combat of Fire Emblem’s past. Elsewhere, it carefully guides the series forward into new territory. There’s not as much depth as I expect from this series, but whether I was exploring 3D forests, shrines, and caves in a series first, or learning first hand why Fire Emblem’s early entries are considered a formidable challenge, it was usually good old-fashioned fun."

"My dreams of hooking up devil-may-care mercenary Saber with pious priestess Celica were dashed because there’s no marriage system."

IGN - 7.8

shades of valentia

ign

not enough waifus

7.8/10 - too much boats?

I'm still okay with it but lol.

Edited by Tryhard

9 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

"My dreams of hooking up devil-may-care mercenary Saber with pious priestess Celica were dashed because there’s no marriage system."

Isn't she 17 and he, like, 34?

Jesus Christ, some of the reactions to these reviews are actually awful. I made a mistake of checking out some YouTube and Reddit comments.

17 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Here's Gamespots review:

I'm surprised that Gamespot gave the game a very good score! I thought for certain that they'd give it the same as conquest!

Sadly, the comments have already started bashing at its season pass more than the game.

Then IGN....

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/16/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-of-valentia-review

They seem to enjoy it and yet the score is underwhelming...

One thing people have to realize is that outlets aren't comprised of a single person (most of the time) different people review different games and in the case of this Gamespot review it's a different reviewer then the one that reviewed Conquest. The review is also a bit different for IGN because it's also not reviewed by the usual person who reviews them Jose who much better reviewer then Meagan IMO, also 7 is not a bad score it means good. 

Anyways the reviews seem to be generally positive and the Metacritic is a high 83 which is not bad. Hopefully it's received well by the general populace, I want intelligent systems to feel comfortable with innovating the series and people showing support for a game that is different like this would go along ways to helping them do that. 

Edited by Locke087

Pretty good reviews overall. Surprised that IGNorant gave the game a 7.8/10(too much water i.e. boat maps). 

Most other reviews seem to be a 9, so that's a very good sign. I'l just take IGN's review as a one-off. 

Edited by Dandee Leone

So far, all of the scores for the game on Metacritic are positive, with the exception of Game Informer's, which is mixed. In total, there are 24 positive reviews with the only mixed one being Game Informer's.

5 minutes ago, Thane said:

Jesus Christ, some of the reactions to these reviews are actually awful. I made a mistake of checking out some YouTube and Reddit comments.

She's 15 lol. And yeah, he's 34. Both according to Echoes. Makes me wonder if they even took out the implication that they hooked up after Gaiden.

To be honest, some of the mainstream reviewers do seem to be doing all they can to piss off the old guard, saying things about having the last two games "set the bar too high", so I'm not really surprised they react negatively.

It's whatever to me.

Edited by Tryhard

2 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

She's 15 lol. And yeah, he's 34. Both according to Echoes. Makes me wonder if they even took out the implication that they hooked up after Gaiden.

18 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Celica's 17, though Genny is 15. Which, honestly, makes me more concerned seeing as she hooks up with Saber later anyway, or at least that's what seems to be implied.

3 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

To be honest, some of the mainstream reviewers do seem to be doing all they can to piss off the old guard, saying things about having the last two games "set the bar too high", so I'm not really surprised they react negatively.

How's that pissing someone off? Sounds like an opinion to me, as opposed to the people saying "this game is objectively better than the previous games" and "finally, the 3DS will have a real Fire Emblem game".

But hey, at the end of the day, it's YouTube, and it's not exactly known for having great discussions in its comment section.

18 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

I laughed when i read this.

9 minutes ago, Thane said:

4 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

She's 15 lol.

No, Thane was right. Celica is 17. 

6 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

She's 15 lol.

Isn't Genny the one who is 15? Pretty sure Celica was 17.
EDIT: NVM I was too slow

Edited by Dengres

Yeah, sorry I misread Celica as being Genny.

Slow day I guess.

2 minutes ago, Thane said:

How's that pissing someone off? Sounds like an opinion to me, as opposed to the people saying "this game is objectively better than the previous games" and "finally, the 3DS will have a real Fire Emblem game".

I mean, the implication was that the previous two games were objectively better than this game.

Edited by Tryhard

3 minutes ago, Thane said:

Celica's 17, though Genny is 15. Which, honestly, makes me more concerned seeing as she hooks up with Saber later anyway, or at least that's what seems to be implied.

But hey, at the end of the day, it's YouTube, and it's not exactly known for having great discussions in its comment section.

There's nothing that implies Genny and Saber hook up, especially since their endings aren't linked.

9 minutes ago, Dandee Leone said:

Pretty good reviews overall. Surprised that IGNorant gave the game a 7.8/10(too much water i.e. boat maps). 

Most other reviews seem to be a 9, so that's a very good sign. I'l just take IGN's review as a one-off. 

To be perfectly honest, I think a lot of the reviews here vastly oversell the game, or at least don't bring up its flaws as much as they should. One could say the same about a lot of reviews for sure, but even though I liked Echoes, I could never give it an arbitrary point of 9/10, especially not if I had a following who trusted my judgement.

3 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

I mean, the implication was that the previous two games were objectively better than this game.

Is it? Saying other games set a higher bar which a game doesn't reach - according to you - strikes me as an opinion. They're not saying "objectively, this game is worse".

3 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

There's nothing that implies Genny and Saber hook up, especially since their endings aren't linked.

Wait, what?! I could've sworn that was the case in Gaiden, but apparently not! Weird. Damn, I've treated that as a given for a while now, especially after Genny's comment in Echoes about liking older men.

18 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

The translation we have of Gaiden's ending does sound to me like that.

https://serenesforest.net/gaiden/scripts/script-translation/ending/

Jenny
Though no one could have possibly dreamed of it happening, it’s said that she fell in love with one of her companions.
Who in the world could that person be? Her only answer is a smile.

Saber
* (If Jesse is alive)
He joined the establishment of Jesse’s kingdom.
Meanwhile, he gets to cuddle with a lovely wife.

* (If Jesse is dead)
Together with his lovely wife, he works towards the restoration of the
Kingdom of Valencia.

There was another implied romances like that. In Thracia, Olwen's ending mentions she married an "surprisingly ordinary man" while Fred's ending mentions having married a younger women who was his commander. Not to mention all that stuff with the Beo Sword. So unless they have stronger candidates for each other, I would assume that this is intended to give people the idea that Jenny and Saber got together.

Edited by BrightBow

The gameplay is the one most criticized within the fandom and yet some people suddenly forget that as reviews come in? The strengths are its presentations, the flaws are the gameplay that's objectively worse in both map design and map variety to most games which is why a lot of sites docked it.

48 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

What did I just read. This is what people expect of Fire Emblem now I guess. This reviewer is also pretty disgusting. Isn't Celica 15 and Saber like in his 30s? 

Edited by DragonLord

49 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Here are some of the review scores i found

• IGN: 7.8/10

For a second I thought you were joking cause of that score. But no, that's apparently the score.

Either way, I'm just gonna think of IGN's reason for this score being that there were too many boat maps.

21 minutes ago, Thane said:

Is it? Saying other games set a higher bar which a game doesn't reach - according to you - strikes me as an opinion. They're not saying "objectively, this game is worse".

If it is, then saying Awakening and Fates suck and the older games are better is also an opinion.

It's rare that people would use the word 'objectively', but it also depends on what point they're trying to make.

I wouldn't put as much stock into reviewer sites to begin with, anyway.

Edited by Tryhard

18 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

The translation we have of Gaiden's ending does sound to me like that.

https://serenesforest.net/gaiden/scripts/script-translation/ending/

Jenny
Though no one could have possibly dreamed of it happening, it’s said that she fell in love with one of her companions.
Who in the world could that person be? Her only answer is a smile.

Saber
* (If Jesse is alive)
He joined the establishment of Jesse’s kingdom.
Meanwhile, he gets to cuddle with a lovely wife.

* (If Jesse is dead)
Together with his lovely wife, he works towards the restoration of the
Kingdom of Valencia.

There was another implied romances like that. In Thracia, Olwen's ending mentions she married an "surprisingly ordinary man" while Fred's ending mentions having married a younger women who was his commander. Not to mention all that stuff with the Beo Sword. So unless they have stronger candidates for each other, I would assume that this is intended to give people the idea that Jenny and Saber got together.

Well, whatever the case was then, Echoes' versions of their endings pretty much slam the door shut on that theory.

Not to mention the fact that neither Genny or Saber's endings change if one of them dies.

Edited by Sentinel07