Shadows of Valentia Reviews

Just now, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Japan has weird censorship laws; it's okay to have people punched 50 times a second to the point you can't see their face anymore, but you better not be caught showing a minor smoking lol.

Isn't Japanese entertainment media full of minors doing (and wearing) some really questionable things? Goodness. Still, if there's a system in place that prevents younger characters from drinking alcohol, then I don't see what the problem would be. But hey, maybe they did, and I get the feeling the bigwigs at Intelligent Systems and Nintendo know Japanese laws a bit better than I do.

2 minutes ago, Tuvy said:

Sorry if you think this is rude but...

1 sec

*deep breath*

IfFireEmblemEchoesDoesPoorlyInAmericaThanISMayNtFeelCompelledToMakeMoreRemakes,WhichInMyCase,WouldMakeMeReallySadBecauseIReallyWantToSeeAFE4Remake.AlsoItMayMeanThatTheyWillRideTheFE13GravyTrainToWealth.

Let the game stand on its own merit. Artificially inflating review scores is only bad in the long run, as evidenced by many people's lack of trust in major gaming media outlets.

Also, cringe.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Thane said:

Judging by all the veterans who haven't played Gaiden and seem to think this game is a return to form, I'm not so sure it's such a widely known fact.

You can use it as an offering and that cures the entire party. It was originally planned that only older characters could actually consume them individually.

You know when fans of older games say return form it pisses me so bad. Like come on now that make it seem like older fans are all pricks.

4 minutes ago, Thane said:

Let the game stand on its own merit. Artificially inflating review scores is only bad in the long run, as evidenced by many people's lack of trust in major gaming media outlets.

Also, cringe.

gee thanks.

But yes I see what you mean.

Sorry!

1 minute ago, Thane said:

What was improper? Reviews are just someone else's enjoyment of the game, give or take comments about things surrounding it, like marketing or DLC practices. If they said something factually wrong, then that's really bad, but if they miss the marriage system, then it's their right, same as it is for people who are happy it's gone.

Except that its already mentioned that marriage system will not be there? I mean IGN obviously has the knowledge knowing that this IS the remake of Gaiden and that the game is being faithful to Gaiden.

They also mentioned no weapon triangle being a bad thing...um how exactly is that a bad thing if there is still strategy in the game?

outrage over review scores is something i will never get, regardless of my opinion on the game or the score in itself

Are reviewers supposed to lie about their opinion of the game? Reviews are just opinions, and that's fine.

Either way, all the scores so far look reasonable to me.

Edited by Nobody

1 minute ago, Harvey said:

Except that its already mentioned that marriage system will not be there? I mean IGN obviously has the knowledge knowing that this IS the remake of Gaiden and that the game is being faithful to Gaiden.

You're not making much sense here for two reasons. One, they can comment on something even if it was mentioned elsewhere. Two, it's their job to inform people about the game and explain how they felt about the game while playing through it. It's not like everyone knows everything about Echoes before watching this review, and omitting a detail that's something that can impact players' enjoyment strikes me as a far worse idea.

4 minutes ago, Harvey said:

They also mentioned no weapon triangle being a bad thing...um how exactly is that a bad thing if there is still strategy in the game?

I'm unsure what you're trying to say here. If they liked the weapon triangle which has been a series staple for a long time, and it isn't here, why can't they comment on it? You're not making any sense.

2 minutes ago, Thane said:

You're not making much sense here for two reasons. One, they can comment on something even if it was mentioned elsewhere. Two, it's their job to inform people about the game and explain how they felt about the game while playing through it. It's not like everyone knows everything about Echoes before watching this review, and omitting a detail that's something that can impact players' enjoyment strikes me as a far worse idea.

Ah sorry. By they, I meant IS mentioning it. However, even so, I don't see how lack of marriage system reduces the score for the game for as informative as the review is.

22 minutes ago, Thane said:

Isn't Japanese entertainment media full of minors doing (and wearing) some really questionable things? Goodness. Still, if there's a system in place that prevents younger characters from drinking alcohol, then I don't see what the problem would be. But hey, maybe they did, and I get the feeling the bigwigs at Intelligent Systems and Nintendo know Japanese laws a bit better than I do.

I suppose a very good example to illustrate this would be how in the manga of Naruto Shikamaru did do a smoke in memory of his mentor while in the Anime he was not allowed to do that. Which just so happened to occur after he cut of an immortal guy's head and buried it alive. Every country seems to have weird priorities when it comes to these things.

Edited by BrightBow

1 hour ago, Reflex said:

The gameplay is the one most criticized within the fandom and yet some people suddenly forget that as reviews come in? The strengths are its presentations, the flaws are the gameplay that's objectively worse in both map design and map variety to most games which is why a lot of sites docked it.

If people were unaware of the gameplay quirks they were probably unaware of Gaiden to begin with, but the maps aren't any worse than Awakening. That doesn't mean they are good, either.

I expected the game to be contentious though, and honestly I relish that.

Edited by Tryhard

8 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Ah sorry. By they, I meant IS mentioning it. However, even so, I don't see how lack of marriage system reduces the score for the game for as informative as the review is.

You seem bent out of shape because he took points off because of marrige I mean if the person(s) like the feature and come to find out it not in the game of course are going to mention in case someone else like the feature too. Weapon triangle is fun to mess with and it take some enjoyment out of it since it gone but it'll be back next game. IS is fine with taking risk because the switch Fire Emblem will most likely have the feature that people come to love/loathe about fire emblem. So marrige S ranks, weapon triangle and possible an avatar in the next game since in  an interview for echoes they said since there no 'avatar this time' which probably means it an stable in the games for now, unless your an remake.

Edited by Mikethemaster

31 minutes ago, Tuvy said:

Sorry if you think this is rude but...

1 sec

*deep breath*

IfFireEmblemEchoesDoesPoorlyInAmericaThanISMayNtFeelCompelledToMakeMoreRemakes,WhichInMyCase,WouldMakeMeReallySadBecauseIReallyWantToSeeAFE4Remake.AlsoItMayMeanThatTheyWillRideTheFE13GravyTrainToWealth.

It sold poorly in Japan, even though is sold through 80%ish of it's inital shipments. It sold as expected

26 minutes ago, Thane said:

agree, we don't need the series to gain a mistrust from the public, or else it'll be like Mass Effect

20 minutes ago, Harvey said:

thats something nonhardcore players might want to know before they buy it, were not in the market for it

Edited by Captain Karnage

6 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Because in their personal opinion it was something that added to the game. Seeing as the word waifu is the equivalent of the bogeyman in the FE fandom, someone who dislikes the system might've put it as a point in the game's favor.

5 minutes ago, Dandee Leone said:

I can't believe a few folks here are trying to defend IGN's horrible review.

They called the game Shades of Valentia before fixing it for crying out loud!

Are you talking about me? Because all I'm saying is that IGN isn't a hivemind and that reviews are subjective. Any factual errors are inexcusable if they're not quickly fixed.

5 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

I expected the game to be contentious though, and honestly I relish that.

Are you alright, buddy? Every post you seem to finish off with one line where you express your lack of interest in something, or how you enjoy conflict or whatever. 

7 minutes ago, Thane said:

Are you alright, buddy? Every post you seem to finish off with one line where you express your lack of interest in something, or how you enjoy conflict or whatever. 

Of course. But it's not like I expected everyone to like the game, it would be boring if that was the case. Especially for a game that is pretty out there like Gaiden. If it seems like a lack of interest, it's because I don't really place much faith in game reviews unfortunately. 

I think you pay too much attention to so called old school elitists, if anything. And speaking of conflict, isn't there pointless arguments all the time in here?

Edited by Tryhard

11 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

It sold poorly in Japan, even though is sold through 80%ish of it's inital shipments. It sold as expected

Uhhhhhh, then it didn't sell poorly?

5 minutes ago, Sayyyaka said:

Uhhhhhh, then it didn't sell poorly?

for a game in the series it did pretty badly compared to Thracia 776 and SD, but it still sold what Nintendo was looking for

15 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

I think you pay too much attention to so called old school elitists, if anything. 

You are most likely right. It's because I find the arbitrary line between old and new fans to be so vexing; I have things I like and dislike with both, so when people preemptively dismiss my opinions because I joined the fandom later, it's annoying. But, again, you're right.

IGN's always been the "Brown Standard" for Fire Emblem reviews. Pretty much the only time they've published an FE review without a fuck ton of errors/stupid comments was when FE7 came out. As soon as SS came out and the series actually had a history in the west, it all went down hill.

That said, they're probably the closest to getting the actual score correct, but for all the wrong reasons. Gaiden has a fuck ton of wrinkles that got ironed out in Echoes, but it's still the same pair of pants. And those pants are JNCOs.

Edited by Slumber

30 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

for a game in the series it did pretty badly compared to Thracia 776 and SD, but it still sold what Nintendo was looking for

Saying it like that kinda implies Thracia and SD did better (well, SD did do better but not Thracia).

It'd make more sense if you said "it did pretty badly compared to most titles in the series, but it sold better than Thracia and Tellius."

I give this thread 7.8/10 too much focus on ign. XD

in all seriousness though I'm really happy to see Shadows getting good reviews cause dang it this is the first time I've ever preordered a game and I wanna feel validated! 

I did managed to look at the GameXplain Review video and I did saw some names that wasn't covered yet that are:

• Garth (the pirate that fighting Palla and Catria) I kinda wondered if Garth and Barth are like actual brothers?
  • Zakson (first boss and the Knight that didn't get a portrait in the original game in Alm's route in Act 3)
  • Desert Stronghold (the fort in the desert where Jesse was captured at)
  • Cold Soup (same)
  • Triangle Attack (Arts Combat skill - same as well)

And the GameSpot video that I found were:

• Fleecer's Forest

By the way, I'm really excited that Echoes: Shadows of Valentia managed to a good score from GameXplain, GameSpot, and some of the other reviews as well. But, IGN's logic makes no sense about taking one point off due to removing children mechanics since this is a remake, not a new game.

Yeesh, this place is a war zone. But yeah about what I expected from IGN and GameInformer. They are some of my least favorite reviewers ever. I was pleasantly surprised by GameSpot's review and the GameXplain one was what I expected as Derrick seems fond of classic FE games. 

Just now, Shogus00 said:

Yeesh, this place is a war zone. But yeah about what I expected from IGN and GameInformer. They are some of my least favorite reviewers ever. I was pleasantly surprised by GameSpot's review and the GameXplain one was what I expected as Derrick seems fond of classic FE games. 

Yeah I have immense respect for Derrick. After starting with the new entries, he went back and started playing some of the older ones like the GBA games and Path of Radiance right now. It proves that he is actually into the series, unlike some other reviewers.

Expected. Reviewers either overrate it to high heaven or complain about things that many find as a plus (IGN's Saber comment still makes me cringe), with the oddball one actually being even-keeled about things.

Of course, the subreddit is people mostly mocking the reviews (though some of it is definitely deserved) with the odd "stop being excited its worse than OG Gaiden come on bring the downvotes".
But that's the same place that made my most upvoted post on the platform a reaction to the volume of people begging to be PM'd an incestuous fanfic, so there's that to consider as well...

Edited by The DanMan