Thane

Shadows of Valentia Reviews

123 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Regardless of the dumb shit IGN, Game Informer, and some of the others gave, they still have it a good review. So regardless they still liked it. I think most people in the gaming community know IGN reviews and Game Informer reviews are not all that good. Hell, an entire meme started because of IGN and their review of Pokemon Alpha Sapphire.

And in regards to some of the negative complaints, I dont think they are completely wrong. They brought some valid complaints that many people here have talked about themselves. Enemy summoners summoning like crazy and creating a tedious fight just from that one unit themself, the poor map design, and the overall tedious nature that Gaiden had and SoV kept. I dont exactly agree with the complaint of there being no S Supports, but it is their personal opinion. It is a feature they obviously enjoyed, and missed that it was no longer available. If they are paid to write a review of what they thought of the game, then what is the issue of them providing their personal opinions on the game?

And again, in the end SoV got good reviews. An average of around an 8/10 for a Fire Emblem remake of the black sheep for the series is really good. A remake that stayed true to the original, for better and for worst. Honestly it got better reviews that I expected it to receive.

Edited by Tolvir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Extreme difficulty and well-developed characters have always been Fire Emblem’s bedrock. The series has evolved a fair amount since its inception, eventually allowing players to play matchmaker with their characters and even let them produce children to join the battle. You won’t find these advances in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia."

-GameInformer

Implying that matchmaking is somehow an "advancement" for the series. I don't want to sound like an elitist, but I think some reviewers are stupidly complaining that matchmaking is gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

There's barely any supports in this game. That's a step back, objectively.

 

And anytime someone says "I don't want sound-", you are.

Edited by Reflex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Reflex said:

There's barely any supports in this game. That's a step back, objectively.

 

And anytime someone says "I don't want sound-", you are.

No, it's not. I've watched/heard all of the supports in the game, and I 100% prefer the succinct way of going about things to the way Awakening/Fates handled supports, where everyone could support with basically everyone else, and rarely said anything of value. These are short, to the point, and are generally pretty good with characterization.

Could there be more? Yeah, a bit. It'd be nice if everyone had at least two or three supports. But I find it better than the "EVERYONE HAS 20 SUPPORT CHAINS!" style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I knew IGN wouldn't give this game a particularly great score. I would understand why, had they attributed it to Cantor summon abuse, lack of unique battle objectives and bad map designs, but to make the issue of marriage and matchmaking that big of a big deal only reveals their naivety regarding FE's history. Matchmaking and children were never a "series staple," because the mechanic only appeared in three games: Genealogy, Awakening, and Fates (as we all know).

When it comes to Fire Emblem, I always make my own judgements. Critics mostly praised Fates when it first came out, where I ended up abhorring the game for its horrific plot and cookie- cutter characters. The only thing I enjoyed about Fates was Conquest Chapter 10 and 21. 

I am glad that there are other journalistic sites that are giving the game good press. I want this game to succeed because newcomers need to experience more of the Kaga-era Fire Emblems. 

I am 90% sure that Genealogy will inevitably be remade because it'll have marriage and children (you know, when it was done well and with purpose) as well as familiar game mechanics like the weapon wheel. 

Edited by Leif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Leif said:

I knew IGN wouldn't give this game a particularly great score. I would understand why, had they attributed it to Cantor summon abuse, lack of unique battle objectives and bad map designs, but to make the issue of marriage and matchmaking that big of a big deal only reveals their naivety regarding FE's history. Matchmaking and children were never a "series staple," because the mechanic only appeared in three games: Genealogy, Awakening, and Fates (as we all know).

When it comes to Fire Emblem, I always make my own judgements. Critics mostly praised Fates when it first came out, where I ended up abhorring the game for its horrific plot and cookie- cutter characters. The only thing I enjoyed about Fates was Conquest Chapter 10 and 21. 

I am glad that there are other journalistic sites that are giving the game good press. I want this game to succeed because newcomers need to experience more of the Kaga-era Fire Emblems. 

I am 90% sure that Genealogy will inevitably be remade because it'll have marriage and children (you know, when it was done well and with purpose) as well as familiar game mechanics like the weapon wheel. 

Oh wow an elitist an 7.8 is not bad the game probably when rounded its around 8/10. More people are mad it got lower than Awakening and Fates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mikethemaster said:

Oh wow an elitist an 7.8 is not bad the game probably when rounded its around 8/10. More people are mad it got lower than Awakening and Fates.

what was elitist about any of that

the guy said that the review was bad and that he doesn't listen to reviews usually

i don't even agree with any of the stuff he said but there was nothing wrong with it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

22 minutes ago, unique said:

what was elitist about any of that

the guy said that the review was bad and that he doesn't listen to reviews usually

i don't even agree with any of the stuff he said but there was nothing wrong with it

Dude just sound like one with his newbies must experience the hard as balls game if the jags era. And the shots he threw at the child mechanic of Awakening and Fates.  

Edited by Mikethemaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mikethemaster said:

Dude just sound like one with his newbies must experience the hard as balls game if the jags era. And the shots he threw at the child mechanic of Awakening and Fates.  

Fates' child mechanic was actually shit though. Don't get me wrong, some of my favorite characters are the child units such as Soleil, Shiro, Kana, Shigure, and Ophelia. But Fates had literally zero reason to have S-Supports and Children. At least in Awakening, it was tied to the story. 

Also, the stuff that's bolded in your quote, what does that even mean? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Fates' child mechanic was actually shit though. Don't get me wrong, some of my favorite characters are the child units such as Soleil, Shiro, Kana, Shigure, and Ophelia. But Fates had literally zero reason to have S-Supports and Children. At least in Awakening, it was tied to the story. 

Also, the stuff that's bolded in your quote, what does that even mean? 

Sorry I meant like he was saying in my opinion was he downplaying the newer games and also when he said newbies needs to play Kaga games it tick me off like he was saying new fans aren't fans until they play one of Kaga games. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, Mikethemaster said:

Sorry I meant like he was saying in my opinion was he downplaying the newer games and also when he said newbies needs to play Kaga games it tick me off like he was saying new fans aren't fans until they play one of Kaga games. 

 

 

I mean. He's the dude who created the franchise, and directed 5 of the games in the franchise. If you actually consider yourself a fan, you should probably play more than 2/3 of the series.

Even if you're one of the ones who doesn't want to download roms or play fanslations, 2/5 Kaga games were released in the west as remakes. You should probably play at least one of them.

Edited by Slumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Mikethemaster said:

Oh wow an elitist an 7.8 is not bad the game probably when rounded its around 8/10. More people are mad it got lower than Awakening and Fates.

Woah, woah, woah. I apologize if I came across as elitist, but that wasn't my intention at all. I just didn't like IGN's review because it wasn't very informed.

I rambled in that post a bit, I'll grant you, but I was being very neutral. At least I think I was.

1 hour ago, Mikethemaster said:

Sorry I meant like he was saying in my opinion was he downplaying the newer games and also when he said newbies needs to play Kaga games it tick me off like he was saying new fans aren't fans until they play one of Kaga games. 

I am most certainly not downplaying new fans. I'd like to have newcomers experience games like FE4 and 5 because they are pretty good games with pretty good characters. For instance, I'd like a remake of FE4 because Arvis has the potential to be Fire Emblem's best and greatest villain if he were given a proper expansion. That would be an excellent treat for both old and new fans.

I wasn't trying to be mean, man.

Edited by Leif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slumber said:

I mean. He's the dude who created the franchise, and directed 5 of the games in the franchise. If you actually consider yourself a fan, you should probably play more than 2/3 of the series.

Even if you're one of the ones who doesn't want to download roms or play fanslations, 2/5 Kaga games were released in the west as remakes. You should probably play at least one of them.

I don't think people care about kaga anymore his indie game didn't get any coverage like at all so he an wash up developer. He made the first 5 games great doesn't mean I have to play them I also started with fire emblem 7-8. I play the two DS remake games as well so I know about good old fire emblem.

8 minutes ago, Leif said:

Woah, woah, woah. I apologize if I came across as elitist, but that wasn't my intention at all. I just didn't like IGN's review because it wasn't very informed.

I rambled in that post a bit, I'll grant you, but I was being very neutral. At least I think I was.

I am most certainly not downplaying new fans. I'd like to have newcomers experience games like FE4 and 5 because they are pretty good games with pretty good characters. For instance, I'd like a remake of FE4 because Arvis has the potential to be Fire Emblem's best and greatest villain if he were given a proper expansion. That would be an excellent treat for both old and new fans.

I wasn't trying to be mean, man.

Your okay. Yeah most new fans won't try the old games one because they are dated as heck and the other because it has only have permanent death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Thane said:

Because in their personal opinion it was something that added to the game. Seeing as the word waifu is the equivalent of the bogeyman in the FE fandom, someone who dislikes the system might've put it as a point in the game's favor

Reviews are not about personal opinions. They have to review the game for what it is and what are its issues. While not having a weapon triangle seems reasonable to criticize at, not having Waifu or having kids does not benefit the game at all and people wanted this feature to be gone which SHOULD be a good thing.

You may argue that having that can help in replay wise but the game has a lot of content to compensate for that with now being able to go to dungeons and whatnot and then there's the dlc as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, IGN. The old thing of you can't spell ignorant without IGN. One of the more infamous sites for having bought and paid for reviews(read: Bribes for 10s). I'm surprised they didn't give Echoes a lower score considering their massive hateboner for Nintendo(and Sega)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Reviews are not about personal opinions. 

The very nature of reviews assure they are personal opinions because it is more often than not one person giving their thoughts about the game. Why do you think different outlets score things differently? Had this been a science, there would've been no need for multiple people to review the same thing.

24 minutes ago, Harvey said:

They have to review the game for what it is and what are its issues.

Yes, and how do you define "issue"? Sure, there are things everyone agrees on are bad, like if there are a lot of bugs that hinder your experience and enjoyment, but a lot of those things are subjective. Hell, I absolutely hate ambush spawns in Fire Emblem and thought everyone did, but I recently ran into a few people who liked that.

27 minutes ago, Harvey said:

not having Waifu or having kids does not benefit the game at all

Again, you're seeing this only from your perspective. Some people really love that feature, and for them it's a bad thing it's not in the game - why would a reviewer not comment on something that has been present in the two most recent games (and have existed in varying forms earlier in the series) when those same titles brought in a lot of new players?

28 minutes ago, Harvey said:

people wanted this feature to be gone which SHOULD be a good thing.

"People" are a very diverse bunch, I hate to tell you. Why do you think the marriage aspect got so popular in the first place? If you only read posts on Serenes and maybe Reddit, then sure, you'll find that a lot of people didn't want it in the game, or at least wanted to revamp it, but Serenes and Reddit aren't the entire fanbase. Hell, they're not even close, and even then there are plenty of people who enjoy that system on there anyway. 

You seem to be confused over the fact that there are differing opinions, and on that I don't know what to tell you other than the fact that you should probably keep others' perspective in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, Thane said:

The very nature of reviews assure they are personal opinions because it is more often than not one person giving their thoughts about the game. Why do you think different outlets score things differently? Had this been a science, there would've been no need for multiple people to review the same thing.

Not true at all. Gamespot had a reviewer Tom McShea I think who did a poor review over Ducktales Remastered mainly because it was his opinions that cost him to lose his job in the first place. None of his points even covered the actual flaws that the game had. So again, personal opinions while can be part of subjective matter cannot be part of professionalism. Although in today's world, Journalism in general is a complete joke.

 

25 minutes ago, Thane said:

Yes, and how do you define "issue"? Sure, there are things everyone agrees on are bad, like if there are a lot of bugs that hinder your experience and enjoyment, but a lot of those things are subjective. Hell, I absolutely hate ambush spawns in Fire Emblem and thought everyone did, but I recently ran into a few people who liked that

This is fine except the problem is that this is IGN we're talking about here who are known to have lame reviewers for the majority of the times here. Just look at the review they gave for Pokemon Alpha/Omega.

25 minutes ago, Thane said:

Again, you're seeing this only from your perspective. Some people really love that feature, and for them it's a bad thing it's not in the game - why would a reviewer not comment on something that has been present in the two most recent games (and have existed in varying forms earlier in the series) when those same titles brought in a lot of new players?

Marriage wasn't really the biggest thing about FE since only three games have it. if Nintendo/IS decide to can marriage in favor of adding more features in future games, then now is the time to bid farewell to Marriage. 

Atleast I can understand Support conversations being needed since well...FE's main thing is characters and all and it would be awkward to not have those conversations.

 

Edited by Harvey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IGN's review of the game is one where you have to ignore the score and just look at what the reviewer herself said about the game. Pretty much all of it was positive and it only expressed disappointment at the lack of marriage rather than actual criticism. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harvey said:

Not true at all. Gamespot had a reviewer Tom McShea I think who did a poor review over Ducktales Remastered mainly because it was his opinions that cost him to lose his job in the first place. None of his points even covered the actual flaws that the game had. So again, personal opinions while can be part of subjective matter cannot be part of professionalism.

Dude, do you think I'm saying there are not bad reviews at all? Bringing up very specific examples - which are plentiful - does not mean reviews aren't subjective. Again, why else do people rate games differently?

3 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Although in today's world, Journalism in general is a complete joke.

How very edgy.

3 minutes ago, Harvey said:

This is fine except the problem is that this is IGN we're talking about

Which is not a hivemind.

3 minutes ago, Harvey said:

who are known to have lame reviewers for the majority of the times here. Just look at the review they gave for Pokemon Alpha/Omega.

Strange, I've seen oh so many people praising their reviews so long as it's favorable for the game they're reviewing. I think people are too obsessed with the score and don't listen enough to what the reviewers have to say.

5 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Marriage wasn't really the biggest thing about FE since only three games have it.

So? This was a feature added in the two games that brought in the biggest amount of new players since Blazing Blade; not everyone knows everything about every installment in the series. I mean, half the games have not been released in the West, and before Awakening, the games were hardly mainstream.

7 minutes ago, Harvey said:

if Nintendo/IS decide to can marriage in favor of adding more features in future games, then now is the time to bid farewell to Marriage. 

So one cancels the other, is that what you're saying? 

8 minutes ago, Harvey said:

Atleast I can understand Support conversations being needed since well...FE's main thing is characters and all and it would be awkward to not have those conversations.

This is, again, just an opinion; I just talked to a guy who felt like it was padding and unnecessary that supports were a thing in Echoes since they didn't exist in the original Gaiden. 

You seem to constantly confuse your opinion for fact and don't even stop to consider how others might view the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Thane said:

Dude, do you think I'm saying there are not bad reviews at all? Bringing up very specific examples - which are plentiful - does not mean reviews aren't subjective. Again, why else do people rate games differently?

They rate games differently not because of opinions being the main thing here. They rate it because of how much the flaws in the game affect the overall content of the game. Marriage shouldn't be the main reason why it should have a low score because Nintendo already stated that there won't be marriage in this game.

12 minutes ago, Thane said:

Strange, I've seen oh so many people praising their reviews so long as it's favorable for the game they're reviewing. I think people are too obsessed with the score and don't listen enough to what the reviewers have to say.

So what comes to your mind when the main criticism given for the said game is "Too much water"?

12 minutes ago, Thane said:

So? This was a feature added in the two games that brought in the biggest amount of new players since Blazing Blade; not everyone knows everything about every installment in the series. I mean, half the games have not been released in the West, and before Awakening, the games were hardly mainstream.

IGN gave great scores for Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn and even shadow dragon for that matter. So if they gave those good scores, then its very likely that they are fully aware that Fire Emblem has games before Awakening and Fates.

14 minutes ago, Thane said:

So one cancels the other, is that what you're saying? 

Well if this game performs well enough, then yes.

15 minutes ago, Thane said:

You seem to constantly confuse your opinion for fact and don't even stop to consider how others might view the game.

I don't mind subjective matters so long as they are fair and in IGN's case, its not fair to bash at Pokemon for having Too much water, Sonic Lost World being criticized for being a Super Mario Galaxy rip off when there is a difference between them both, reviews paid to give higher scores to the games despite the game being horribly done and lastly this game for not having a marriage system that just seems pointless to even have for this game.

Its kinda like how many seem to not accept most of my opinions as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mikethemaster said:

I don't think people care about kaga anymore his indie game didn't get any coverage like at all so he an wash up developer.

That's like the worst example to use. Kaga made Vesteria Saga made for fun. The game is free iirc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Harvey said:

Reviews are not about personal opinions. They have to review the game for what it is and what are its issues. While not having a weapon triangle seems reasonable to criticize at, not having Waifu or having kids does not benefit the game at all and people wanted this feature to be gone which SHOULD be a good thing.

You may argue that having that can help in replay wise but the game has a lot of content to compensate for that with now being able to go to dungeons and whatnot and then there's the dlc as well.

 

To a certain extent opinions in reviews are inevitable. Just look at critic reviews of movies lately. There have been multiple instances of varying reviews for movies. Each critic had something else to say about the movie, and almost all of that is opinion. What one person may find annoying or bad for a movie, another may find enjoyable. 

This extends to video games as well. IGN may not be the best example of this, but even the review done by GameXplain had some opinions from the reviewer in it. It is here job to look at the game and identify its best parts and it's flaws. Sometimes that leads to personal opinions because in the end they are the one playing and reviewing the game. You are seeing it through their eyes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That's like the worst example to use. Kaga made Vesteria Saga made for fun. The game is free iirc.

Well okay than his PS1 and PS2 games sold like crap and I think when he got sue it mess with his creditablity a lot. Sad to see he not doing anything now a days, except for that free indie game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tolvir Entertainment in general is a subjective matter that's a given. And its true that people can't like what you like and vice versa. Its also true that some people would be more opinion based than some others. 

Unfortunately, we're talking about people paid to do this kind of thing and IGN is one who just has absolutely no idea how to review games. As I said earlier, they are fully aware of Fire Emblem, heck they did a retrospective of it(which is torn now so don't bother searching) So knowing that Fire Emblem isn't about marriage and then saying that its what makes FE special is hypocritical.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

People need to stop comparing this review to the Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire review. 

IGN's ORAS review echoes sentiments pretty much every gaming publication had about the third gen games 15 years ago(Which are still overall the lowest rated mainline Pokémon games to this day), and "Too much water" is actually a legitimate complaint about how much water composes Hoenn, how much it sucks to get around because of it, and how many water-type Pokémon you encounter compared to every other type. 

Their SoV review does not really do the same thing. They mostly praise the game, then say "This remake loses 2.2 points for not having features that weren't in the original that I've decided to place above everything else." 

The fact that both are remakes on the 3DS and got 7.8 is entirely coincidental. 

Edited by Slumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.