Damage upper limit

I don't know if anyone brought this up before, but there is a damage upper limit in place. Your damage output for any single attack is maxed at 120.

I wonder why is such restriction in place, seeing that you don't have many enemies with more HP than that.

WVW69kVHO-wgQseABa
WVW69kVHPJwEmSDn3h

Probably so you don't blow up Duma and the other boss in one hit? For Duma, I guess they want you to see the shield drop, but for the other one it's just for added difficulty I guess (and a chance for RNG to screw you over!)

Is it even possibel to get 120 dammage without a crit? what would the Highest possible damage be against either of those enemies if the cap were not in place?

• 2 months later...

Hallo, I've been considering this question myself and haven't seen much in the ways of discussion, but I can only speak for non-dlc where classes don't affect max stats.

What I've been thinking is a character wielding either the Zweihander or Rhomphaia would be good candidates to achieve max damage, due to Tiger Stance and Dragon Haze respectively. Zweihander has 13mt when fully forged, compared to Rhomphaia's 11mt, so I decided to go and look in that direction. From what I believe, Sonya has the highest Attack+Skill total, when maxed out (41+42=83). 83 + 13mt + 5 (extra from Tiger Stance) = 101 damage. Quite respectable, but we can go further. 

Delthea has the highest Attack+Speed total (43+41=84). Reclassing her into Pegasus Knight, and then into Falcon Knight, will give her Banish, giving +10 attack when against terrors.
Checking the wiki, the lowest base defence a terror has is 1 (Revenant or Entombed as far as I'm aware) - granted I am unsure if one can actually encounter a terror with 1 def in game. At any rate, with this set up, Delthea can do: 84 + 11mt + 5  + 10 = 110... -1 = 109.

So that's what I reckon the highest damage output, without a crit is on this game, though I'd love if there was a way to hit 120 without critting. 

Edited by SomethingWeeby