Why Veld Is Actually The Best Final Boss

Please note I said best and not hardest. Think of it a sec, he's the only human end boss in the entire series. Any other "human" bosses are either possessed by a dragon (Julius) or protected by god magic (Ashnard, who also rides a dragon no-less). That makes him the most badass in my opinion, even if he sucks as a unit. They really need to do something like that again.

So he's the best just because he's human? That's some of the worst reasoning I have ever seen on this site since I joined back in the summer of 2009, especially from a "self-proclaimed Fire Emblem master" such as yourself. Besides, since you stated that it's "just your opinion", it means that your statement about Veld being the best final boss is entirely subjective, and thus, everyone is free to reject said statement if they don't agree (like I do).

Edited by NinjaMonkey

12 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

So he's the best just because he's human? That's some of the worst reasoning I have ever seen on this site since I joined back in the summer of 2009, especially from a "self-proclaimed Fire Emblem master" such as yourself. Besides, since you stated that it's "just your opinion", it means that your statement about Veld being the best final boss is entirely subjective, and thus, everyone is free to reject said statement if they don't agree (like I do).

Holy shit

Why are you being so aggressive? 

13 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

It's easier to use external resources beyond your abilities than to use your own. It's that simple.

33 minutes ago, Mimikyu said:

Holy shit

Why are you being so aggressive? 

If you think that I'm being aggressive, then it's clear that you don't know anything about me.

32 minutes ago, In The Beginning said:

It's easier to use external resources beyond your abilities than to use your own. It's that simple.

So? That still doesn't mean that Veld is objectively better than all the other FE final bosses.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Veld is the easiest boss in the series, has 0 personality, and the only contribution to the plot he does is petrify Eyvel. He sucks. 

Edited by L9999

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Did I strike a nerve or something? I also fail to see a point if the post is trying to make one. The guy below (above this post) gave valid reasons he thinks he is terrible. Yours was just hating mine for the sake of it (which I am fine with, just make it more productive).

Also the self proclaimed master thing was a joke from like 10-15 years ago (Yes it started before this site was made) when I used to do S rank runs and the general community thought Marcus (Jagen's) was garbage and Nino (Est's)  was the best unit ever (Which is obviously not true). I don't do those runs anymore so I really should change it, got any clever ideas?

10 minutes ago, Drew Pickles said:

Yours was just hating mine for the sake of it (which I am fine with, just make it more productive).

Actually, I was just pointing out your terrible reasoning (which you clearly failed to see).

8 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Actually, I was just pointing out your terrible reasoning (which you clearly failed to see).

Is that what it was? I thought there was something deeper since "your reasoning is terrible" isn't too much better without examples. Also, any ideas for a new title?

1 hour ago, L9999 said:

Veld is the easiest boss in the series

Wait, he's easier than Idoun? I haven't played Thraica (well, i did, but i noped out of it) but that's actually impressive.

25 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Wait, he's easier than Idoun? I haven't played Thraica (well, i did, but i noped out of it) but that's actually impressive.

Veld's a pain in the ass to get to, but he's weaker than the other units on the map(Who are admittedly Deadlords, but still). 

I'm surprised not everyone read the title facetiously. Yes, what constitutes the 'best' of anything depends on the evaluation criteria. But I think argument over the use of 'best' here is academic and misses sight of the topic that's been presented.

I think @In The Beginning 'best' interpreted and summarised what @Drew Pickles was getting at. In terms of difficulty or characterisation, Veld underperforms. But he stands out as the only final boss in the series as who isn't supplemented supernaturally. And I agree that his fighting without the unfair and arguably contrived advantages other final bosses have (ie. completely on his own merits) is 'badass' and noteworthy.

In my opinion, the god or god-powered villains of many Fire Emblem games are disappointing story-wise. I suspect they are used mostly just to raise the stakes. It's an easy way to make final battles feel like they will decide the fate of the world because the villains are given the power and drive to completely reshape it. However, because it's used so often, it's come to feel like a lazy conceit.

I'd like to see more 'human' villains. The threat of cataclysm due to whatever flavour of god magic a game invokes is so dramatic and distant. Believable threats from sympathetic or charismatic enemies have the capacity to be more interesting because there's more space to relate to the histories and objectives behind them. I don't think more Velds is the answer. But I think the abundance of super-powered villains in Fire Emblem somewhat weakens the series's storytelling.

Leaf was the only lord without a super-effective weapon, so it evens out. If anything, he's more of a chump because he relies on the Deadlords.

Veld is a bad character just from how he dumps in an unneeded retcon that serves to force a connection with Leif and lighten Travant's responsibility for Quan and Ethlyn's deaths.

Edited by Salamud

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

Veld's a pain in the ass to get to, but he's weaker than the other units on the map(Who are admittedly Deadlords, but still). 

I would still say she is easier in all honesty, neither can counter attack (Idoun has 1 range, Veld has a 3-10 range weapon) though she has no chance of surviving a round from the Sword of Seals unless Roy got like no level ups (And even in 0% growths he still 3 shots her if I recall). Veld is useless thanks to Stone, but due to FE5's huge throne bonuses he has a slight chance of surviving an attack (however low). But as mentioned Veld has a ton of guys around him when Idoun is almost solo. Plus most of the time other characters can kill Veld easier then Leaf (also allowing him to capture the throne on the same turn).

Funny, because he originally was intended to turn into a dragon, but that was scrapped perhaps due to time constraints.

I don't really consider being protected by "god magic" a disqualification in Ashnard's case.

On 5/18/2017 at 9:40 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

If you think that I'm being aggressive, then it's clear that you don't know anything about me.

So? That still doesn't mean that Veld is objectively better than all the other FE final bosses.

I agree it just means Veld is unique that's all.

Isn't the Stone tome unique to Veld? I mean technically Manfroy or Julius or any decent evil Loptyrian could use it, but he is the only unit with it in FE5. And Stone is a little more than just another status- it can't be cured by Restore, only the Kia staff only Sara can use (for Manfroy prevented anyone out of his bloodline from using it). Stone is what takes away Eyvel in dramatic fashion.

And Leif does get a special weapon- the Bragi Sword. But like Veld's Stone and Raydrik's Loptyr Sword, it isn't super mega special. It's certainly unique, but the Bragi Sword can presumably be used by anyone with at least minor Holy Blood of some sort. It's fitting of the humbleness of Thracia 776.