Does anyone else really like the status screen artwork?

One of the little things that really captivated me the most was the status screen artwork in this game. At first, I thought it was a bit weird to have a giant portrait of the selected unit right in front of me on the bottom screen, but after a while it really started to grow on me. I loved how everyone had different poses and expressions, which made simply scrolling from one unit to the other one really fun; you'd go from Lukas with his cool pose and serious face, then Clair not paying attention, then to Gray with his dumb smile. It really added to the uniqueness of the cast, imo. I also think that by putting the unit's face in the middle of the screen instead of at the top left corner, it really made me think of the units more as characters than just chess pieces holding a bunch of broken weapons and an Elixir.

All these little aesthetic decisions are just amazing. I don't think I'd ever want them to go back to the static, expressionless portraits in Awakening and Fates.

Agreed. One of my biggest pet peeves about Awakening/Fates were the static portraits. There wasnt anything wrong perse with the art direction but characters barely changed their expressions during conversation (Fates being more guilty of this) but seeing the characters here emoting is a fresh breath of air.