Clash of Cold Steel: An original mecha RP (Sign Up thread)

Corrobin

A world stolen
The year is 2150. An alien empire, The Grieks, invaded that year, hoping to take the earth and all her bountiful resources for themselves. With their mechanical monstrosities, they crushed Earth security forces and military. Soon, they established a powerful and cruel government, controlling the Earth like a puppet. But all hope was not lost...

Twin flames
Two different but united forces seek liberation! A series of off-Earth bases across the Solar System have united into a larger force to rebuke the Grieks, known as the GEF (Griek Eradication Force)! The other is a rebel group situated on Earth, know as the Terran Liberation Squadron (TLS). The two groups, while having the same general goals, have separate actions and ways of accomplishing their goals:

The GEF are more military, with larger, atmospheric battles and advanced strategies. They also collect destroyed Griek mechs for study, meaning they have a scientific advantage. Their mecha are more standardized and formulaic, with set "classes" and builds. They're usually, by specs alone, stronger than the average TLS mech. However, military protocols mean that they have less freedom to think up on-the-fly, and space provides it's own challenges with battles. Their soldiers are usually older and more experienced, but less creative and adept.

Meanwhile, the TLS are more guerilla, using stealth and ambushes on ground battles. They tend to steal and recycle Griek mechs to make their own, letting them have a production advantage. Their mecha are more individualized and personalized, with extra details and features unique to each one. While, by specs alone, they're weaker than a GEF mech, they might have secondary modes, special abilities or multiple weapons to make up for it. They're allowed more freedom, and are often are quite adept on their feet, but a smaller group and less available resources presents its own challenges. While they do have less hiring standards in regards to age, meaning quite a few teenage soldiers, their more creative and adaptive brains mean they often find creative ways out of a problem.

tl;dr: Pick GEF if you like real robot anime, pick TLS if you like super robot anime.

Sign-up sheet!

Name: Obvious.

Age: Also obvious. If you pick GEF, unless your character is a prodigy or very skilled, you have to be older than 19.

Sexual orientation: Still obvious.

Appearance: Describe how they look.

Backstory: What was their life like before the story began?

Employ: GEF or TLS?

Mecha name: If you're going for a GEF, it's name should be something like "Myrmidon-type F3X", or "Paladin-type 2K". TLS has no restrictions.

Mecha appearance: Describe what the mecha looks like.

Mecha abilities: Weapons, armor, and abilities should be described here. TLS mecha can have super modes, secondary forms, and/or multiple weapons, but GEF mecha are, specs-wise, more powerful.

Name: Ryuto Kitagawa

Sexual orientation: Straight

Appearance: Black hair, green eyes. Wears a t-shirt, a leather jacket, and jeans most of the time.

Backstory: Ryuto was a mild-mannered, kind and friendly boy, before the Griek took something precious from him: His father, Ryuji. Ryuji was a leading scientist in robotics, and because he had already formed a hypothesis on the theory of how the Griek's mecha worked within the third month of the invasion, the Griek saw him a worthy target for silencing. After the death of his father, Ryuto dropped out of school and became a kind of delinquent... or so his mother though. In actuality, he joined the TLS, starting his journey to avenge his father and continue his legacy.

Employ: TLS

Mecha name: Fafnir

Mecha appearance: A draconic humanoid mecha, painted a burning orange and red.

Mecha abilities: Fafnir's claws, both on his arms and legs, are protractable and retractable, adding a deadly sting to it's already potent martial arts abilities. It's an overall well-rounded mecha, with good offense, solid defenses and average speed, but that turns on it's head with Inferno Mode. By overclocking the engines and adjusting the armor of Fafnir, Ryuto turns this mecha from a well-rounded brawler to a speed demon with a strong offense, at the cost of making him a bit of a glass cannon of sorts.

Honestly? Force of habit. Is that bad or insulting or something?

Edited by Corrobin

Name: Hans Leiderkind

Orientation: Questioning-Asexual

Appearance: Brown hair, Black eyes, 6'0, fair skin. Wears an orange officer's uniform outside of combat, but wears a HUD helmet and a dark grey G-suit while inside his mecha.

Backstory: Originally a member of the peacekeeping force Homo Sapiens Galactic, Hans Leiderkind was already a distinguished mecha pilot even by the high standards the GEF put forth. He was on a peacekeeping mission on Europa when the Grieks invaded the Solar System. Many of his superiors decided to try and defend Earth, only to be destroyed by an ambush in the Asteroid Belt. The remaining leaders of the Outer Planet colonies rallied remaining officers and mecha pilots to form the GEF. Hans rose to the rank of Major almost immediately upon completion of the piloting assessment.

Employ: GEF

Mecha Name: Nazca Series, Mark IX, Model 1, "Science Blaster" (Callsign- Nazca 9)

Mecha appearance: Vermillion, 50 ft tall, humanoid, Emblem of the Bird Nazca Line on the chest, with yellow lights on the optics.

Mecha abilities: Nazca 9 is one of the most heavily armored mecha in the GEF. It is also one of the most powerful, wielding a modified lunar defense cannon as a sniper weapon. Nazca 9's main draw as a combat vehicle is its artificial intelligence. GIven it's massive size, Nazca 9 isn't at all fast or agile, but it's computing power is able to analyse every possible enemy action in a battle, and then separate the most logical course of action, coordinating the most effective response to it along with all of the other GEF Mecha.

Edited by Hylian Air Force

Name: Lloyd Richards

Sexual orientation: Straight, bi-curious

Appearance: Short brown hair, blue eyes. 5'9, fair skinned. Typically wears a red and black uniform out of battle, with a battle visor and suit for piloting.

Backstory: A resident of the Jupiter colony, Lloyd began his training very young, and when the Grieks attacked, he was among the first to join the official collaboration known as the GEF. A hard working man, Lloyd always thinks there is room for improvement, whether for his mecha or his own piloting skills. He's lived a fairly normal life, other than that.

Employ: GEF

Mecha name: Myrmidon series, Type IV, Model 3, "King Arthur" (Callsign- Myrmidon 4)

Mecha appearance: Humanoid and white, with grey and black markings. Around 40 feet tall, with an emblem of a sword and shield on the chest.

Mecha abilities: The Myrmidon series is a group of well-rounded fighting mecha with good offenses thanks to their laser blades and solid defenses thanks to their shields and armor, but it's not so thick as to slow them down. With no exceptional weaknesses (aside from their lack of ranged options), it's hard to find a more adaptable mecha than the Myrmidon series. However, their lack of specialization means that in comparison to some other series of mecha, they outperform a Myrmidon in other situations.

Okay, here we go.

Name: Jesús Abelardo García Gutiérrez

Sexual orientation: Heterosexual

Appearance: Is around 5'10'' of height, of an average build, with light brown skin. Has short black hair and black eyes. His normal attire tends to consits of simple shirts and pants, in colors succh as black and brown. When riding his mecha, he wears a dark brown suit.

Backstory: Prior to the invasion, he had a fairly normal life, with plans for the future. Plans that forcibely changed, needless to say. He soon joined the TLS, with the intent to do his part to free the planet once more.

Mecha name: Ahuizotl

Mecha appearance: Sports two modes, Humanoid and Beast. On Beast Mode, it largely resembles its namesake, with a dark blue and gray color scheme. The Humanoid Form, with the way the beast parts remain visible, makes the mech resemble the ancient Jaguar Warriors of pre-Columbian Mesoamerica. Though naturally, with an ahuizotl "pelt" instead of jaguar. The humanoid part itself has a light brown and yellow color scheme, and sports actual human-like hands under the "beast" hands. It's height in this mode is 50 feet.

Mecha abilities: The Ahuizotl's performance will depend on the mode it's currently in. Beast Mode sports greater mobility and agility than the Humanoid Form, but the latter has more range of weaponry available. One thing they share, however, is unimpeded capability in and over water. As for weaponry, Beast Mode sports shoulder-mounted cannons and a more powerful laser cannon in the hand-tail as its only means of range. Slashing front claws and piercing fangs make for close-combat use, but the slight delay they have can leave it vulnerable to enemy fire. Humanoid form only shares the shoulder cannons and claws, which are now retractable, and instead comes equipped with two energy swords and rifles. In Humanoid Form, the "tail" from Beast Mode normally is coiled around the waist, giving the illusion of a belt, but when needed, it can act as a fifth limb, and cover the mech's six o'clock carrying a weapon. Other equipment is a shield to block attacks; and small dart-like projectiles, which while hard to actually hit enemies with, if they actually do then what they do is that they start to disrupt things like radar or auto-targeting systems. It doesn't disable them completely and only lasts for a few seconds.

Hopefully it's acceptable.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Name: Aaron ben Natan

Orientation: Straight

Appearance: Long Black hair, brown eyes, 5'6, long beard, olive skin. Wears formal Jewish attire, even when piloting his mecha.

Backstory: Aaron ben Natan was a man from the Kingdom of Israel. Originally a major in the Israeli Defense Force, Aaron led the IDF remnant to several small victories against the Grieks during the first few months of the conflict, securing most of the spare components for the Terran Liberation Squadron. This came at the cost of most of his men, as well as the loss of both Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. Enraged that his ancestral homeland was burned to ash, Aaron fasted for 7 days to mourn, during which he claimed God spoke to him. Regardless of the validity of the claim, he set to work building a mecha by hand. Once he was done, he anointed the mecha as the rabbis would anoint a child, or in ancient times, the Israelite king. He warned the Grieks then that God's vengeance was upon them.

Mecha name: Leviathan

Mecha appearance: Leviathan is a massive mecha, coming it at a whopping 70 feet tall, with a tail that is about 40 ft long. It sports an intimidating dragon head, and is colored in various blues and grays. It has an appearance not unlike that of a reptilian movie monster, with long arms that can double as forelegs.

Mecha abilities: Leviathan, unlike most mecha in any force, is totally amphbious, with an air supply of up to 100 days, and pressure resistance up to 1000 atmospheres. It's drawback is that it has a ceiling of only 10,000 ft, whereas most mecha are able to breach Earth's gravity. Leviathan's arsenal is a shoulder mounted railgun that can fire from underwater, as well as clawed hands that it also uses for swimming. It's tail acts as a sonic melee weapon, used for disabling smaller, quicker mechs with a direct hit to the CC (that is to say the head). It's final weapon is the missile silo located in it's mouth, acting as a last resort against capital ships. However, the cruise missile can only be launched on land, as it requires all five appendages to be on a solid surface so that it can tilt its head correctly.

Adding some new information if you guys need it to make a character

Well, some things are available (robotics, rudimentary artificial intelligence, colonies in orbit of other planets and on them), as well as the obvious mecha (available in space-flying and grounded variants). The GEF has access to some virtual reality technology used to train soldiers, while the TLS have essentially an underground series of bullet trains that allow them to travel great distances extremely quickly and stealthily.

The Grieks, in terms of appearance, are basically humanoid lizards. They're very technologically advanced, with some rudimentary teleportation technology and FTL travel available to them on top of the above. They're galactic conquerors and planet-drainers, ruling over planets, taking their resources, then leaving a large portion of their current population there while a smaller group goes out to conquer a new area.

I think people aren't joining from a lack of information. You've got a very basic story and plot outline, no stats, no maps (and while these things aren't necessary to make an RP good, a lot of people here prefer them)

If you want some inspiration, you're free to look at my RP, which is SF's first working robot RP. It might help you include some things that you're missing.

here's the link (it got pushed to the 2nd page). Unfortunately all the spoilers broke when the site upgraded itself, but everything should still be readable.

I can write lore and details, although it could take time for me to get back to you with my ideas due to a family vacation. PM me your story outline from beginning to end, and I will try to flesh it out enough so that it isn't just another SRW or MSG clone. I, for one, have come to the realization that all the RPs I've started are way too samey, even the ones I thought to have a more unique premise. 

@Nanami Touko Even though this advice was meant for Corrobin, I am smart enough to realize how important your advice is to spurring the interest of SF. What worked for me before certainly isn't working now, as I put my most recent one on hiatus just to apply the criticisms I've taken.

I'm going for a statless RP. But thank you for the advice, anyway. And I don't want to give away a few planned twists, so sorry Hylian Air Force, but I'll have to decline.

Edited by Corrobin

So, you said "Rudimentary Artificial Intelligence"? Is that set in stone? I have an idea for an android character, but if the latest tech is only rudimentary, that probably won't fly. The basic idea is that the character is the prototype for an experimental combat robot which can pilot mechs, but also fight on foot when the situation requires it, like saving someone from a building that's about to collapse - something that would be very dangerous for humans without the protection provided by their mechs.

I also have an idea for a human character if this doesn't work out, and I have to flesh my ideas out a bit more anyways, so nothing's certain yet.