Retreating for enemy replacement

So I just retreated from a battle to avoid a unit death (yet another instance where Mila's Turnwheel would have sufficed but I forget it's in the game), and I got different enemy placements when I returned to the map. It's a spoiler for those still in Act 1, but here are the details on what changed.

Spoiler

Okay, so it's Zofia Gate, and every archer I had defeated was replaced with a soldier. However, the two archers near the west door are replaced with a Cavalier and Slayde. Curious, I poked him with an archer, and that activated him - and every other cav on the map, to charge along the hall to the east. This was interesting because I was able to fight the horde of Cavaliers  as they funneled along that hallway single file, while my archers, mages, and levin sword pelted them safely from the other side. There was also no 20 terrain bonus for either side to worry about. Kind of a cool way to deal with half the enemies if you ask me. 

Have you guys gotten interesting results when retreating? Since defeated enemies are replaced with other enemies, I can't really say it makes maps easier objectively. However, my example proves there may be potential for tackling maps in alternative, useful ways.

Edited by Gustavos

I definitely find it interesting about the change in Zofia Gate that it seems so easier in Normal Mode. I did managed to beat the entire enemies in the Zofia Gate without a single game over + resets and it made easier to defeat Slayde with more training, healing with Provisions and Silque, using Arts Combat Skills, and new weapons that are added to the game, but he did managed to defeat Python in Casual Mode which I might need to train him more. I did get lose couple of my units from Slayde and have to reset the map in the original game since Casual Mode didn't exist back in the original game which it's kinda hard back then. Also, I noticed that the Knight that was close to Desaix managed to dodge a lot of my allies' attack and it nearly defeating Faye and Clive, wounded Gray, but Gray managed to finished off with Silque's Healing and using the Iron Sword with Wrath Strike.

Okay, I just checked if the Retreat glitch from Gaiden still removed a trio of green units you need to keep alive in Act 2. It doesn't, but retreating did remove all the enemies I managed to kill in those first few turns. The game didn't even replace those enemies, interesting! Perhaps retreating can be used on some maps in a way that lets you chip away at the enemy forces, then return at full strength if things go south. Above all else, I have no trouble keeping the green units alive now. Come to think of it, I can't see any other method on Hard/Classic...