Darting Blow Xander

I noticed Xander comes with Armored Blow, and it got me thinking... What if we give him Darting Blow instead? 

I'm not even going to pretend this is optimal. Optimal would be Death Blow or Fury if you ask me. But it sounds like a fun idea!

Xander has speed 24 as a level 40 5-star. With Darting Blow, he'd reach 30. Not the most impressive... Throw in Hone Speed, and he'll be running at the same speed as a neutral IV Catria!

I was hoping to see if i could get some suggestions for other skills to add, ones to make this idea at least somewhat functional. Won't be running horse force though, so no hone cavalry. I'm looking to try some new ideas here, even if they aren't so good.

doesnt synergyze well with his 5 star weapon to be honest. you are weakening his unique built in distant counter weapon alot if you go with darting blow death blow or any kind of that. Fury will do more for you during enemy phase where his sword shines. Basicly you want to turn him into a playerphase unit, in that case toss his weapon and give him brave sword + with death blow if you want

1 minute ago, Hilda said:

doesnt synergyze well with his 5 star weapon to be honest. you are weakening his unique built in distant counter weapon alot if you go with darting blow death blow or any kind of that. Fury will do more for you during enemy phase where his sword shines. Basicly you want to turn him into a playerphase unit, in that case toss his weapon and give him brave sword + with death blow if you want

Brave Death Blow... I like it! Sounds interesting. What would we give him for a B-Skill though? Quick Riposte, maybe?

Just now, Allergic_to_Farming said:

Brave Death Blow... I like it! Sounds interesting. What would we give him for a B-Skill though? Quick Riposte, maybe?

Nah Quick Riposte is best used if you keep his counter Weapon Siegfried, i would go for Sword Breaker imho

5 minutes ago, Hilda said:

Nah Quick Riposte is best used if you keep his counter Weapon Siegfried, i would go for Sword Breaker imho

Yeah, you're right. He could respond to speedy swords like Ryoma and Lucina, even with the speed drop from Brave, and his lame base speed.

It seems like a waste.

You invest a whole skill that just prevents him from being doubled on player phase, and the only one it will get him to double is Hector. There's very little benefit to Darting Blow.

Quick Riposte is indeed a great idea with Siegfried; it will allow him to double and defeat many ranged enemies on enemy phase.

For player phase, since his speed is abysmal anyway, Brave Sword+ and Death Blow could indeed work, and cavalry movement range helps to take out units. But with a 16 might weapon with distant counter, it's cheaper feather-wise to build around that as it's pretty good already.

Armored Blow works fine on Xander for me - it allows him to be more efficient at murdering Hector as he'll take little to no damage from him during player phase in most situations.

I've enjoyed Defiant Attack on him. His defense is high enough that I've never wanted Armored Blow, and while Defiant Attack doesn't always come up, he can let him deal tons of damage when it's active, both on player and enemy phase. Vantage makes it even easier to use on enemy phase.

17 hours ago, Allergic_to_Farming said:

I noticed Xander comes with Armored Blow, and it got me thinking... What if we give him Darting Blow instead? 

I'm not even going to pretend this is optimal. Optimal would be Death Blow or Fury if you ask me. But it sounds like a fun idea!

Xander has speed 24 as a level 40 5-star. With Darting Blow, he'd reach 30. Not the most impressive... Throw in Hone Speed, and he'll be running at the same speed as a neutral IV Catria!

I was hoping to see if i could get some suggestions for other skills to add, ones to make this idea at least somewhat functional. Won't be running horse force though, so no hone cavalry. I'm looking to try some new ideas here, even if they aren't so good.

It's certainly doable, but as other people pointed out, you're expending a ton of resources for results you can reach much easier other ways.

The only thing this really accomplishes over quick riposte is letting him double on attack, rather than defense, which given his tanky nature, doesn't add a ton.