Did anyone feel sorry for what happened to Frenand at Act 1 and the other Acts? (Possible Spoilers)

How do you feel about Frenand?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel sorry about his family in a trategic past?

• I do feel sorry for him about his entire family's death and what happened.
    • Wow, just wow! I don't know what to say?
    • *cries*
    • Umm.....
  2. 2. Do you think the prequel DLC "Rise of the Deliverance" will help and shows a prequel scene what really happened to Frenand's family and Frenand became twisted towards non-nobles?

• I think yes.
    • I have no clue about that?
    • I don't think so, I think that will become really too dark to show what really happened?

I managed to beat Act 1: Zofia's Call and I did saw the reason to why Frenand became a sidekick villain for Berkut in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. I did saw Frenand did seemed to be acting like a jerk to Alm and his friends back in Southern Zofia 1 Map, but Lukas did inform about Alm did helped retake the Southern Outpost if it weren't for Alm and he did explains to Frenand why Mycen can't joined the Deliverance that Frenand find it preposterous about Mycen and recruiting the villagers instead. I did saw the scene in the Deliverance Hideout showed how Frenand quits when Clive gave the leadership to Alm since Clive thought it would be best since Alm is following Mycen's footsteps and doesn't cooperate with Alm being a new leader. The Allied Mercenary from the Deliverance when you talk to him in the Room explains how Frenand became cold through any peasants due to the people from the village who lived near around Frenand's manor that Frenand was trying really hard on it to give any stuff to survive due to Mila disappeared and gave Frenand a harsh thing to do and after that, the people in the village forced down to his home that killed his entire family in cold blood and took all of his family's belongings that is feels like a complete tragedy for Frenand. And Clive, Clair, and Lukas feels his pain on what Frenand has been troubling about in the past. Then when Desaix's men captured Frenand, I did saw the conversation Frenand did mentioned to Desaix about Alm became the leader and he quit the Deliverance since he did not find villagers should lead the army that Desaix find it amusing + Desaix doesn't feel like he won't kill off Frenand since he gotten his heart changed from the Deliverance that Desaix made interesting to see Frenand's hatred that made Desaix suggests Frenand to join up with Berkut due if Frenand would be joining with someone who he find it worthy to follow against non-nobles and his hatred of what Clive has suggested back at the Deliverance Hideout.

I just completed the entire maps in Act 1. I wondered if the DLC maps for Rise of the Deliverance will really explain more on Frenand's backstory. As for any Fire Emblem villains that I ever saw in any games, Frenand does definitely has the rarest saddest back story than the other villains have.

Edited by King Marth 64

I feel bad for Fernand in a way and I have...pity for him(?), but I still don't like him because he acts like a jerk. The only other time I hated a character like this was Arvis (I hate that guy and take great joy in killing him everytime I play FE4). The thing is that I feel that just because something bad happened to you, doesn't mean you can make everyone's lives miserable by being a total jerk. Still, this is why I love FE4; the villains make me feel some type of emotion toward them. What's strange is that I actually feel bad for Berkut and there's a reason, but that's another story.

"Just because you've seen hell, doesn't mean you have the right to force it on others."

Fernand may have a tragic past, but that doesn't excuse his attitude and actions. I pity him, but I don't have much sympathy for him.

Pretty much. I feel sorry for what happened to him and his family, but his treatment of Lukas and the others is not acceptable based on that. Commoners killing his family out of desperation does not make it so every commoner is instantly bad. If he respected Clive as much as he says he does, then he should try to see his reasoning and give him a chance, not defect to the very people they're fighting against. 

Can't feel sorry for him. We don't know the other half of the story (yet).

1. How many of the commoners on his land starved to death?

2. Did his family have the ability to provide, but refuse to do so?

It's still very possible his family was a bunch of unrepentant scumbags for all we know.

Maybe if he wasn't an awful person I'd be able to sympathize with him, but between turning traitor to his nation for petty reasons and generally showing no sympathetic or redeeming qualities I have zero sympathy for him. At this point, I just look forward to him showing up so Clair can smash in his face with Ridersbane.

Maybe if he had some redeeming qualities or his actions made sense. A tragic past and previous connection to Clive and his family does not make him a good person, and the fact that the game thinks he's deserving of sympathy is ludicrous.

I happen to like Fernand as a character. Sucks that he joins with Berkut, but I find him to be a good antagonist. Much, much, much better than the crap we've been getting in the last few games.

You may call him a prick or jerk, but his disdain of the Zofian peasantry makes sense given how they stormed his manor and ended up killing his mom, dad and all of his siblings during the famine that was going on. I'm pretty sure anyone would take that very badly. We also know that Fernand used to be a swell guy like his buddy Clive since both him and Clair mention after that he changed and became more negative after his family was brutally killed. There's that memory between Fernand and Clive as well backing that up since Fernand is a lot more relaxed and positive in it. In the memory, Clive speaks highly of Fernand's dad so I don't think they would be the kind to mistreat the people living on their land either.

Fernand wasn't born an asshole, nor was he one for the majority of his life, but the world made him one. He's an unfortunate victim of circumstance.

I'm looking forward to the Rise of The Deliverance DLC which will give some spotlight and help flesh him out.

Sorry is the last thing I feel for Fernand. Even the Begnion senators weren't that hateful to commoners. 

I get Fernand has a tragic past but it gets to the point where he's very irrational. Being opposed to a rookie leading the army I get but Fernand also seems to be against commoners joining the army in the first place and certainly against them being rewarded for good services. What a brilliant military tactic. 

Nah, not particularly. His retaliation hatred is too much. Besides, like someone else said, we don't know the other side. If Fernand can be such an asshole, who knows what his family might have done.

I do dig his design tho. Too bad I can't recruit him.

Honestly?

Not really. I mean, I guess I feel sorry for pre-murder-of-his-family Fernand a bit, but the person he is now is enough of an irrational, classist jerk that he has essentially no redeeming qualities at all anymore.

Not even as a unit.

He's super weak.

Beat him up and steal his lunch.

I do feel sorry for Fernand, and I quite liked him. I am kind of amused that people are calling him "irrational" as though having your whole family killed off a seething hatred burned into your heart is in any way a path to rational thinking. I sympathize with him. 

one thing that I think is worth mentioning is fernand's conversation with mathilda

he says "With you by my side, I might've chosen differently"

not only is he pissed at clive for making alm the leader of the deliverance, he's also jealous of his girlfriend

so that kinda adds more to his reason for leaving

i don't think this makes him any better of a character or person I just thought it was weird how no one mentioned it

I can sympathize with him to an extent, because really, getting your whole family killed in such a way is... yeah...

But I don't know the whole story, and him defecting because "ugh commoners" to... another army that also uses a lot commoners too is so hilariously contradictory it makes me laugh. His classism gets super irrational later on too. My sympathy can only tolerate so much.

Edited by Doof

2 hours ago, AsherCrane said:

I do feel sorry for Fernand, and I quite liked him. I am kind of amused that people are calling him "irrational" as though having your whole family killed off a seething hatred burned into your heart is in any way a path to rational thinking. I sympathize with him. 

I'm aware that one couldn't really realistically expect much different from him, but I think part of it has to do with the fact that his particular negative traits are of a category of behavior that I find to be particularly infuriating in real-life people. I don't think that he deserved what happened to him—at least, the Fernand of when it happened didn't—and I don't think that it's unrealistic that he turned out the way that he did, but his attitudes still really do not help him at all.

Like, I feel bad about what happened to him and his family, but he has also, by the time of the story's present, been consumed by prejudice, hatred, and pride, and stopped being a good person by any stretch of the definition.

I suppose, to put it another way, I might say that I have sympathy for his trauma, but not for his reaction to it or his choices afterward, and the person he ended up becoming is one I do not particularly care for.

Now, that's him as a person.

Fernand as a character I don't mind at all, and I actually think he makes a kinda interesting addition to Alm's side of the story.

Edited by Topaz Light

The end of Fernand's... arc... I write this being blinded by tears, but seeing the man... go through the entire arc. Slowly and slowly reaching it's ultimate conclusion made me like the guy. And... he 

Spoiler

dies at Rinea's hand... in the arms of Clive.

The moment he joins the opposing army is where I lose all remaining pity for him. Okay so you don't want to give the new guys a chance despite the fact they proven themselves already by reclaiming the outpost and saving Clair who you yourself was suppose to go and rescue on the way and when they even prove you wrong by reclaiming Zofia Castle you do not have any second thoughts what so ever. That's not even the biggest problem I have with him it's when he again joins the opposing army and he's essentially spitting at his fallen comrades graves who fought against them in the first place for the cause that he himself joined.

He talks about joining the Deliverance to be united in purpose as noble knights but he's just a complete liar who cannot keep to his ideals.

To be completely honest, the only time I teared up while played SoV was when Clive was holding Fernand close as he died. I don't think the way he treated anybody was right, but he turned out to be a well-rounded character one could sympathize with.

Having your whole family killed is more motivation to become evil then most Fire Emblem villains get, but I found Fernand to be a bit too over the top and unpragmatic to be fully symphethetic. He does score some points with his Matilda conversation and the fact that he originally did't even plan to betray the Deliverence. When captured by Desaix he seemed pretty ok with just dying till he became fascinated with Berkut.

I do actually feel sorry for the guy.  His weird superiority complex is understandable because of what happened to his family.  Is he an asshole?  Yeah, of course, but it's understandable why he is the way he is even if the trope has been done to death in Fire Emblem.

Nnnnnnope. He had a tragic past and all, but nope. Too much of a jerkass. Like Berkut.... except Berkt doesn't have a tragic past and is a bigger jerkass... so, nevermind the comparison..
But damn, he really did a good job in the writing imo;