My Prediction for the Next FE Remake.

This is just my prediction for the next FE Echoes remake. I have no idea whether or not this will be true but here goes nothing.

As much as I want FE4 to be remade I'd have to say that the next FE remake will be FE6 and 7 together because you can't have one without the other. FE7 is the prequel to 6 and 6 never made it outside Japan and that being the continuation for the story of FE7 I would only see fit that both of them get remade maybe not on the same cartridge but considering how FE 3 have both a remake of FE1 and had the sequel on one cartridge, its a possibility.

So, why FE6 and 7 you say? Well, I've been thinking. You know how Awakening and Fates both had an avatar, pair up, the marriage system and Risen/Faceless. Shadows of Valentia has no marriage system, no avatar, no pair up, but has Terrors. So I've been thinking that IS is just taking a break from the marriage system and just giving us the core Fire Emblem gameplay without having to stress about who are we going to pair up in battle and who's a good mother/father for this particular child character. We are just playing the core game for awhile, and I think that FE6 and 7 are coming next simply because of that. But as for the return of the avatar, I'd rather him be a silent protagonist like Mark in FE7 but still no marriage system. I mean, I haven't payed all that much attention to other people's opinion on their view point of the marriage system as of today but I think we need a break from it and just play Fire Emblem for the strategy and not the child rearing. BUT after FE6 and 7 comes out FE4 and 5 come next with the original marriage system (at least in 4) and child characters that fit perfectly into the story. I think IS is just letting things stay familiar and not letting things like the marriage system and the avatar go stale where to the point that no one wants it to return. The marriage system and the avatar will return later maybe not in the same game but will separately for sure. Like FE7 for the avatar and FE 4 for the marriage system. It's just splitting things up to keep things fresh. But who's to say these two won't appear together in the upcoming FE Switch?

What are your guy's thoughts on this?

Are people really saying "Echoes is the subseries of Fire Emblem remakes" like it's a fact now?

There is no basis to say that IS wants to stay away from marriage and children so they're skipping FE4. Why would they want to skip it when marriage and children made Fates and Awakening so popular and profitable?

I don't think FE6&7 need to be in one game either. FE7 has nods to FE6 but its plot stands on its own. I think it would be neat to make a connect Elibe saga, but I wouldn't count on it.

http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-of-valentia-director-on-the-name-wants-to-remake-binding-blade-the-most/

Semi-confirmed. We have no guarantees of when the next remake will be, but if Nakanishi directs again and has anything to say about it then FE6 is likely next on the list.

Going back and playing FE4 again recently...everything about it feels old and clunky and tedious.

Those giant interlocking maps that send you marching from castle-to-castle and army-to-army over and over and over again before you clear one single map—while tantalizing from a storytelling perspective in how they allow the plot of FE4 to unfold in real-time + worldbuilding perspective in how they LITERALLY build a topographical map of the world—made for absolutely miserable gameplay.

And I think I.S. realized it made for absolutely miserable gameplay, because they abandoned the idea and never used it again after FE4.

They went back to a larger number of smaller, individualized maps—with a healthy mix of outdoor, village, and castle maps—and the bulk of the games dialogue + cutscenes being placed in scenes in between.

…Imagine for a moment an FE4-style presentation of FE7...where from the time you land on the Dread Isle and fight Uhai’s men until the time you defeat Lord Darin, its one giant fuck-off chapter on one giant fuck-off map that covers the entire Island. You have to defeat Uhai's force. Physically march your units across an empty stretch of terrain the size of an entire normal FE7 map just to get from the part of the chapter where you fight Uhai to the part where you fight Aion. Defeat Aion and his men. March across ANOTHER stretch of empty terrain the size of a normal FE7 map to get from Aion to Theodore. Defeat Theodore and his men. Then march across ANOTHER stretch of empty terrain the size of a normal FE7 map to reach the Dragon’s Gate and fight Darin’s men. With all the dialogue form those 4 chapters taking place mid-chapter, as you’re trying to advance on your final goal. And if at any point before reaching Darin you for some reason need to restart…you’re back to the beginning of the map where you fight Uhai.

Oh my god…that sounds awful…

I don’t see any way to make the FE4 gameplay experience palatable to a modern fanbase, without completely changing the signature trait of FE4—the map design, and the sheer size-and-scope of its chapters—into something that is no longer FE4.

Whereas echoes left the gameplay of Gaiden more-or-less unaltered and focused on completely reimagining and modernizing the storytelling aspect of the game, to give us a product that holds up by modern standards, FE4 would have to do the opposite. Leave the story of FE4 more-or-less unaltered  (FE4 holds up on that front), and instead  focus on completely reimagining and modernizing the gameplay.

…which I’m not sure is something I.S. wants to do with a remake.

FE6 is a more remake friendly game, and probably the one we’ll be seeing next unless I.S. is absolutely hellbent on going in chronological order and remaking ALL of the oldies.

…which again…I’m not sure is something they want to do.

Edited by Shoblongoo

16 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Are people really saying "Echoes is the subseries of Fire Emblem remakes" like it's a fact now?

There is no basis to say that IS wants to stay away from marriage and children so they're skipping FE4. Why would they want to skip it when marriage and children made Fates and Awakening so popular and profitable?

I don't think FE6&7 need to be in one game either. FE7 has nods to FE6 but its plot stands on its own. I think it would be neat to make a connect Elibe saga, but I wouldn't count on it.

Yes, cause it sure seems like it.

True, but I'm saying the remakes could be "the break" while the marriage system and the avatar could be in the Switch game. The remakes are here to appeal to the veterans and to those who haven't had the chance to play the old school Fire Emblem but with a fresh coat of paint.

You mean two separate releases? Release FE7 first then comes FE6 a half a year later or something?

16 hours ago, X-Naut said:

http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-echoes-shadows-of-valentia-director-on-the-name-wants-to-remake-binding-blade-the-most/

Semi-confirmed. We have no guarantees of when the next remake will be, but if Nakanishi directs again and has anything to say about it then FE6 is likely next on the list.

5 hours ago, Zerxen said:

Nice! Guess my prediction is semi-right so far. But I don't think they will announce it until around the Switch game's release so probably around E3 next year I'm guessing.

@Shoblongoo  I wouldn't say FE4 has miserable gameplay but yeah, half the game is you walking around getting from point A to point B to point C to point D. If we're looking at chapter 2's map, point C is at the top of the map where you recruit Beowolf, and then once the action is over you got to make the loooong trek around the forest area on the cliff backtracking to the castle with Lachesis and finally head east to the Dark Mage and the ballistae. That alone takes at least 15 turns of walking probably 20 for foot soldiers. So, I agree that these maps should be split up but maybe not in the GBA form like you said but rather like chapter 17 in Path of Radiance where you get rid of the hooligans in Serenes Forest in four different battles and which are four chapters length with dialogue in between the maps. That way you have that sense of progression and can save after every map. But in FE4, you can save at the beginning of every turn so if we're doing it POR style, how can we incorporate that into the remake then?

I hope it's not FE6 or FE7. Elibe sucks, imo, and FE7 doesn't need to be remade. People still really like it, it's aged fine, etc. I don't know about FE6 since I never played it.

FE4 and FE5 need to be remade first, imo. They've not had any releases outside of Japan and I'm interested in trying them. FE7 has been out here.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

I hope it's not FE6 or FE7. Elibe sucks, imo, and FE7 doesn't need to be remade. People still really like it, it's aged fine, etc. I don't know about FE6 since I never played it.

FE4 and FE5 need to be remade first, imo. They've not had any releases outside of Japan and I'm interested in trying them. FE7 has been out here.

Agreed. I liked Elibe personally, but those games stand well on their on even by today. FE4 is really outdated and it would be pretty rad to see them remade. The fact that it started the marriage system makes it even better, appealing to those who played Awakening and Fates for the "waifus".

I wouldn't mind either way if FE 6 got remade.  It'd be cool to see everything all graphically updated, and I would love to see more art of those characters too.  Plus, they can patch up some plot holes.

Personally, I want FE 4 to be remade because I feel everyone needs to taste what Genealogy of the Holy War is like and just how painful going through those maps can be causeI'masadist.  Also, fans that came in during Awakening or Fates have voiced concerns and distaste for the lack of marriage and children so FE 4 is the most logical one to appease veteran and new fans.

I'd honestly prefer FE4 to be remade; they can focus on FE6/7 afterwards - or not at all as they have aged relatively well. 

However, I do hope they don't copy-paste the maps from the original game into the remake like they apparently did in SoV. I could be wrong, but, from what I've seen (from a playthrough I'm watching), the maps look like a slog to go through in SoV - so much so that I'm seriously contemplating not bothering to buy the game.

I've seen the maps in the original FE4, and I can't say that I'm too keen on dealing with them.

They could add any of the 3DS mechanics into any old game and have them work depending on execution. Kids would be the exception outside of FE4 (FE6 has like six kids max with variable parents), but they can expand on the Bond Unit system from Fates to replicate that with far less writing.

While I agree FE4 needs a remake, Thracia doesn't nearly as much despite being tough as nails. The UI is already close to the GBA games in a lot of ways. I love the game, but there's no rush to it.

However, vehemently saying Elibe doesn't need a remake is folly. Binding Blade lacks the fine tuning that Blazing Blade has and it shows in a lot of ways. Although Blazing Blade lacks the need for a remake for now, Binding Blade needs some excuse to come out outside of Japan.

tl;dr remake and release the non-international games first, although Mystery of the Emblem is in an awkward position for now.

On May 22, 2017 at 5:39 PM, Anacybele said:

I disagree - FE6 looks like it's in desperate need of a remake to me. Blazing Blade doesn't need it as much, though.

21 hours ago, saisymbolic said:

I'd honestly prefer FE4 to be remade; they can focus on FE6/7 afterwards - or not at all as they have aged relatively well. 

However, I do hope they don't copy-paste the maps from the original game into the remake like they apparently did in SoV. I could be wrong, but, from what I've seen (from a playthrough I'm watching), the maps look like a slog to go through in SoV - so much so that I'm seriously contemplating not bothering to buy the game.

I've seen the maps in the original FE4, and I can't say that I'm too keen on dealing with them.

I don't think that most of the maps in SoV are that bad, from what I've seen. However, I do agree that if it gets remade, I hope something's done about FE4's maps, else I'd contemplate not bothering to play it.

FE6, being the first of the GBA FEs, is the crudest of them all in gameplay. FEs 7 and 8 corrected some of the issues of FE6 and tweaked it, in the same way Advance Wars: Black Hole Rising, fixed up some of the original Advance Wars's issues.

The spirit of FE4 could be totally maintained with the inclusion of FE6-10 Rescue, that plus an extra point of move on everyone (or at least the foot units), would be a major help. More side objectives or enemies between castle could help too I guess.

I played the Turn-Based Strategy game Steamworld Heist and in that game, if you move to any space within your orange movement range, you can perform actions afterwards. However, you also have a blue movement range- sprinting- which lets you move twice as far, but you can't perform actions afterwards. Maybe this is what FE4 needs to fix the polarizing map issue?

I don't really see FE7 getting remade for a while, as it is a tad bit too recent still. I do, however, believe that they are purposefully prioritizing the games that never got western release for remakes, so I can see Binding Blade getting a remake. (That will actually sell me on a Switch faster than Smash Bros)

If were talking about remakingthe games in chronological we need not forget Tracia 776 would need to be remade.

Anyways I think they'd go for a more popular title to remake.

If they do a Genealogy remake I can see them using Fates game play and the weapons triangle from that game, and maybe removing the skills you need to double andate get a critical hit. I can see pair up being useful for protecting clerics and weak units while using it to move foot troops around the map faster.

Edited by Captain Karnage

I could see FE4 and 5 getting remakes or remasters since they were not released overseas and honestly that would be pretty awesome.  Though I'm waiting for the day PoR and RD maybe get a two in one remake.

I could see Binding Blade getting a remake. It never got an english release and most people think it hasn't aged as well as FE7. I believe they're aiming to re-do the games that haven't gotten western releases, making the SNES Fire Emblem games a high priority too.

I said this in the SoV thread about the remakes, so I'll say it again here:

I think it'd be better to remake Blazing Sword/Blade first. As a prequel, it does very little to set up the plot to FE6. It introduces Zephiel and his dick of a father that led him towards becoming the Zephiel we know and love from FE6, but aside from that, it doesn't really do much.

What it does do, however, is establish several compelling characters, and seeing their fates in FE6 would have much more impact and hit much harder.

For example, Hector:

Did anybody who ever played FE6 before FE7 give a shit that Lilina's father, and Roy's dad's best friend dies? He's just a king with a big bushy beard in FE6, and his death has very little emotional impact. I'm sure people who played FE6 first, then went to FE7 to find out the he's one of the main characters probably saw him and went "Huh. He seems like a cool guy. Sucks that he dies in the lamest way possible." People who played FE7 first, then went to FE6 probably had a much, much stronger reaction to Hector's death.

Since the stories are inherently not that connected to one another, it really doesn't matter which comes first. However, establishing characters first and then showing how they impact the story later on would make the following stories more compelling, which is why I think it'd be better for them to remake FE7 first, so people jumping into the franchise can get that connection to characters like Eliwood and Hector.

I understand that FE6 has aged much worse than FE7, and that it never came out in the west, making it more sensible to remake first from a game-design perspective. But narrative, I'd want FE7 remade first.

Yeah, I don't like how the director of SoV wants to do Binding Blade next. While I have a soft spot for Elibe, since FE7 was my first Fire Emblem game, I desperately want FE4 and 5 done next. Binding Blade is most definitely the weakest GBA game and one of my least favorite FE's. FE7 is vastly superior to FE6. 

On 5/22/2017 at 7:05 AM, Shoblongoo said:

Going back and playing FE4 again recently...everything about it feels old and clunky and tedious.

Those giant interlocking maps that send you marching from castle-to-castle and army-to-army over and over and over again before you clear one single map—while tantalizing from a storytelling perspective in how they allow the plot of FE4 to unfold in real-time + worldbuilding perspective in how they LITERALLY build a topographical map of the world—made for absolutely miserable gameplay.

And I think I.S. realized it made for absolutely miserable gameplay, because they abandoned the idea and never used it again after FE4.

They went back to a larger number of smaller, individualized maps—with a healthy mix of outdoor, village, and castle maps—and the bulk of the games dialogue + cutscenes being placed in scenes in between.

…Imagine for a moment an FE4-style presentation of FE7...where from the time you land on the Dread Isle and fight Uhai’s men until the time you defeat Lord Darin, its one giant fuck-off chapter on one giant fuck-off map that covers the entire Island. You have to defeat Uhai's force. Physically march your units across an empty stretch of terrain the size of an entire normal FE7 map just to get from the part of the chapter where you fight Uhai to the part where you fight Aion. Defeat Aion and his men. March across ANOTHER stretch of empty terrain the size of a normal FE7 map to get from Aion to Theodore. Defeat Theodore and his men. Then march across ANOTHER stretch of empty terrain the size of a normal FE7 map to reach the Dragon’s Gate and fight Darin’s men. With all the dialogue form those 4 chapters taking place mid-chapter, as you’re trying to advance on your final goal. And if at any point before reaching Darin you for some reason need to restart…you’re back to the beginning of the map where you fight Uhai.

Oh my god…that sounds awful…

I don’t see any way to make the FE4 gameplay experience palatable to a modern fanbase, without completely changing the signature trait of FE4—the map design, and the sheer size-and-scope of its chapters—into something that is no longer FE4.

Whereas echoes left the gameplay of Gaiden more-or-less unaltered and focused on completely reimagining and modernizing the storytelling aspect of the game, to give us a product that holds up by modern standards, FE4 would have to do the opposite. Leave the story of FE4 more-or-less unaltered  (FE4 holds up on that front), and instead  focus on completely reimagining and modernizing the gameplay.

…which I’m not sure is something I.S. wants to do with a remake.

FE6 is a more remake friendly game, and probably the one we’ll be seeing next unless I.S. is absolutely hellbent on going in chronological order and remaking ALL of the oldies.

…which again…I’m not sure is something they want to do.

I think IS is aware of this, as you said. I predict that in a future remake, they will divide the entire map into parts. For instance, when Sigurd and co. attack Genoa in Chapter 1, that whole battle will be a "chapter". Then the team can rest, relax and prepare for the next battle in Genoa castle. Then you go to the next "chapter". That would be the most logical route to take, because I agree that FE4 is exceptionally tedious for having large maps. 

Edited by Leif

Elibe remakes would benefit from having stronger/more explicit connections between related characters and more mentions/cameos in the FE6 remake and more setting up in the FE7 remake. While I like the original FE6 it's got some maps that are pretty annoying (see: desert map with fog of war and wyverns) so it'd be nice to fix those in a remake. Plus Roy and Lyn would make them an easy sell.

I think a lot of older fans want Judgral (myself included) but I'm not so sure about new fans. Heroes is probably to helping get people interested though. And FE4 has the love system going for it.

29 minutes ago, Leif said:

I think IS is aware of this, as you said. I predict that in a future remake, they will divide the entire map into parts. For instance, when Sigurd and co. attack Genoa in Chapter 1, that whole battle will be a "chapter". Then the team can rest, relax and prepare for the next battle in Genoa castle. Then you go to the next "chapter". That would be the most logical route to take, because I agree that FE4 is exceptionally tedious for having large maps. 

Its not even of the size of the map that makes it such a tedious, unfun slog. It’s the amount of time that you spend doing absolutely nothing but marching your units across empty terrain with NO ENEMIES, trying to reach the parts of the map where the enemies are.  Just repeatedly clicking: “move.” “end turn.” “move.” “end turn.” “move.” “end turn.” “move.” “end turn.” Multiple times. On every chapter.

For real. If you ever play FE4, that’s going to be hours and hours of your gameplay experience.

…Like I get what they were trying to do and again—its really clever from a storytelling and worldbuilding perspective. (you actually get a sense of scale and the feeling that your marching to battle, like a proper army)

I wanted to like it. I really did.

Its just such a chore to play.

Edited by Shoblongoo

Gaiden being selected as the 3DS remake might have something to do with being so easy to translate into the engine used by Awakening and Fates. So, what game gets selected as the next remake might depend on what Switch FE turns out to be. 

Putting it another way, we should wait to find out if Switch includes Children, Total Wide Maps, or even Dungeon Crawling.

59 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Its not even of the size of the map that makes it such a tedious, unfun slog. It’s the amount of time that you spend doing absolutely nothing but marching your units across empty terrain with NO ENEMIES, trying to reach the parts of the map where the enemies are.  Just repeatedly clicking: “move.” “end turn.” “move.” “end turn.” “move.” “end turn.” “move.” “end turn.” Multiple times. On every chapter.

For real. If you ever play FE4, that’s going to be hours and hours of your gameplay experience.

…Like I get what they were trying to do and again—its really clever from a storytelling and worldbuilding perspective. (you actually get a sense of scale and the feeling that your marching to battle, like a proper army)

I wanted to like it. I really did.

Its just such a chore to play.

I did play FE4. I beat it three times. I understand all your complaints. That's why if you divide the large maps into multiple chapters, you can reduce the amount of empty turns and downtime. 

On 5/24/2017 at 4:06 PM, Leif said:

Yeah, I don't like how the director of SoV wants to do Binding Blade next. While I have a soft spot for Elibe, since FE7 was my first Fire Emblem game, I desperately want FE4 and 5 done next. Binding Blade is most definitely the weakest GBA game and one of my least favorite FE's. FE7 is vastly superior to FE6. 

Yeah I agree that IS probably realized this and would want to fix it in a remake. I honestly love the massive size of the chapters but since a remake will likely include much more dialogue and plot related events, the massive chapters will probably be interrupted.

I think the best approach would be something like having your army regroup after seizing a castle. In the meantime, you can have more things to do in the castle besides the shop/arena that it normally has. 

Increasing the enemy amount in some of those empty areas can mitigate the tedium some and remove the need to use the arena so much. Honestly I didn't mind the arena since I made a habit of having every unit go through it at the start of the chapter and those who couldn't complete it would do it in the later castles.

Edited by GreatHylian