My Atlas is hilarious

If you guys give atlas one or other star shards that give him bonus stats in those categories he needs he can turn out into a crazy dread fighter. (If you have the first dlc pack of course) but honestly the bases for dread fighter are usually enough to carry his crap speed and skill. 

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

The people saying he's the worst Merc are overrating Speed, and underrating Attack. Jesse, Kamui and Saber are all gonna have problems hurting stuff later in the game. Their base Attack stats aren't great, and they all have lower Atk growth than Atlas. Meanwhile, Atlas won't have to worry about needing the promotion gains in Atk until Dreadfighter, and if Atlas hasn't gotten at least 1 point of Atk in the 20 levels between going from Villager to Dreadfighter, then I'm gonna say you got royally screwed.

The Spd and Skl gains he gets from promotions keep him at least competitive in those areas. He's not going to have trouble doubling anything that also isn't a Dreadfighter.

I expected him to be trash, but he ended up being probably my strongest unit. The only one who gave him a run for his money was Gray, AKA the other Merc with high Atk and low Spd/Skl.

I'm pretty sure people call him the worst Merc because of the backtracking/grinding needed to make him usable. Even Jesse (garbage) can barely reach Myrmidon before Chapter 4 with some love, but not Atlas. Also, high Skill is actually good, because the Brave Sword is pretty much the best thing; it makes Saber and Kamui's lower Str less meaningful.

Also I think my Gray got screwed lol.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

9 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I'm pretty sure people call him the worst Merc because of the backtracking/grinding needed to make him usable. Even Jesse (garbage) can barely reach Myrmidon before Chapter 4 with some love, but not Atlas. Also, high Skill is actually good, because the Brave Sword is pretty much the best thing; it makes Saber and Kamui's lower Str less meaningful.

Also I think my Gray got screwed lol.

It really didn;t take long at all to get Atlas to Myrmidon. I think it only took about 10 minutes of optional battles to get him up to speed, which is REALLY light for "Grinding".

Just now, Slumber said:

It really didn;t take long at all to get Atlas to Myrmidon. I think it only took about 10 minutes of optional battles to get him up to speed, which is REALLY light for "Grinding".

It's not about how long it takes, it's the pure fact that grinding is necessary; you can't progress linearly AND have a good Atlas is why he's bad. If that condition isn't used to judge a unit, then there are no bad units in Echoes.

2 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

It's not about how long it takes, it's the pure fact that grinding is necessary; you can't progress linearly AND have a good Atlas is why he's bad. If that condition isn't used to judge a unit, then there are no bad units in Echoes.

Grinding isn't really necessary, even. Atlas is ready to promote when you get him, and changing him to a Mercenary fixes his biggest problems. From the get-go he's a pretty competent combat unit who lags behind a bit, but not nearly as much as some units later in the game.

Unless you're doing the strictest story run, getting Atlas to a Mila Shrine is really all you need to do ASAP to get him going.

Edited by Slumber

Just now, Slumber said:

Grinding isn't really necessary, even. Atlas is ready to promote when you get him, and changing him to a Mercenary fixes his biggest problems. From the get-go he's a pretty competent combat unit who lags behind a bit, but not nearly as much as some units later in the game.

Going backwards to promote him or to re-recruit him also counts against the backtracking thing. It's not a big deal, but I think it's why people rate him poorly.

3 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Going backwards to promote him or to re-recruit him also counts against the backtracking thing. It's not a big deal, but I think it's why people rate him poorly.

Uh, no. The "Atlas is bad, is going to be bad, and will be on the bench" started prior to the game coming out, and mostly revolved around the fact that his best option was Mercenary in Celica's route, where there are already potentially 4 Mercenaries. Nobody was complaining about having to do one optional battle and backtrack a few spaces to promote him to Merc.

I know because I was part of the "You're probably not going to get much use out of Atlas regardless of what you do with him" crowd.

Edited by Slumber

Just now, Slumber said:

Uh, no. The "Atlas is bad, is going to be bad, and will be on the bench" started prior to the game coming out, and mostly revolved around the fact that his best option was Mercenary in Celica's route, where there are already potentially 4 Mercenaries. Nobody was complaining about having to do one optional battle and backtrack a few spaces to promote him to Merc.

I know because I was part of the "You're probably not going to get much use out of Atlas regardless of what you do with him" crowd.

Well, I was talking about why people rate him poorly after the Japanese version came out. Guess I misunderstood or something.

2 hours ago, Slumber said:

The people saying he's the worst Merc are overrating Speed, and underrating Attack. Jesse, Kamui and Saber are all gonna have problems hurting stuff later in the game. Their base Attack stats aren't great, and they all have lower Atk growth than Atlas. Meanwhile, Atlas won't have to worry about needing the promotion gains in Atk until Dreadfighter, and if Atlas hasn't gotten at least 1 point of Atk in the 20 levels between going from Villager to Dreadfighter, then I'm gonna say you got royally screwed.

The Spd and Skl gains he gets from promotions keep him at least competitive in those areas. He's not going to have trouble doubling anything that also isn't a Dreadfighter.

I expected him to be trash, but he ended up being probably my strongest unit. The only one who gave him a run for his money was Gray, AKA the other Merc with high Atk and low Spd/Skl.

I lucked out with his growths and got a ton of defense and speed for him as well so give him a wepaon like the blessed swrd and he is nearly unstoppable. He has been my goto boss slayer and his health is superb as well. Hes easily in the top 5 units along with Celica, Alm, Tobin, and Kliff.

@Satsuma: Yes you can train him linearly, I know because I did it. After getting him I went towards grieth and encountered a run in with a summoner and so I gave Atlas a blessed blade and had him kill 50+ Entombed until he had caught up with everybody else. 

Edited by RennacIsUnderrated

I just started chapter 4 and he's basically contributed nothing so far. Partly because all his stat ups have been pretty terrible and part because he just joined too late compared to Saber and Kamui that they're both way ahead of him in stats all around. Maybe I'm just having bad luck with mercs so far, since my Gray kinda sucks too.Gray's probably my worst unit on Alm's side, and Atlas is my worst on Celica's tied with Jessie (who's got the same problem). I'll have to see if I can grind them some in this chapter if I hope for them to ever get going. 

Doing the desert maps kinda starved my melee infantry for exp since Leon, Mae and the fliers got to do most of the dirty work while everyone else was slogging through sand or choke points to get to enemies.